Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,851 members, 7,817,521 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) (29906 Views)

Lady Beaten By Police In Anambra For Not Using Pedestrian Bridge (Photos) / Elderly Man Doing Frog Jump For Not Using The Pedestrian Bridge In Lagos. / Elderly Man Punished For Not Using The Pedestrian Bridge In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 17, 2016
Some people can't take any kind of heights. So, unless the bridge has full walls (not a balustrade) and is wide enough, they'll get vertigo.
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by ba7man(m): 9:17am On Apr 17, 2016
Good, next step is to stop people from throwing trash indiscriminately in public.

I was in traffic yesterday and a guy opened his car to throw out large amount of trash on the road.

I seriously wanted to go ask him to go pick it up.

That should be another avenue for revenue generation by making those offenders pay fines.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by write2obi(m): 9:25am On Apr 17, 2016
flyca:
Pls they should build escalator enabled bridges. Sometimes, after work, no energy to climb up and down. Onipanu bridge is especially tasking cry
So you'would rather risk your life running across the road, than use the pedestrian crossing? Don't you think you are better off tired than dead?

1 Like

Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by flyca: 9:27am On Apr 17, 2016
Dollyak:
Why can't they implement toucan road crossings? More effective than pedestrian bridges. Pedestrian bridges are mostly used for highways in most countries.
This, in addition to aesthetics are the reason why ground road crossings are better. Instead of prosecuting the pedestrians, drivers should be forced to obey the road crossings signs.
I disagree.
In overhead bridges you climb up and then climb down.
In underground passes, you first climb down then climb up.
The same energy. Biko we need escalator-enabled bridges whether underground or overhead!
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by flyca: 9:29am On Apr 17, 2016
write2obi:

So you'would rather risk your life running across the road, than use the pedestrian crossing? Don't you think you are better off tired than dead?
I am a civilized citizen. Of course I have no option than to use the bridge. I am saying, I can relate to why people run across the roads.
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by Dollyak(f): 9:36am On Apr 17, 2016
flyca:

I disagree.
In overhead bridges you climb up and then climb down.
In underground passes, you first climb down then climb up.
The same energy. Biko we need escalator-enabled bridges whether underground or overhead!
How is ground crossings similar to underground crossings? You don't need mechanical driven pedestrian bridges in those lagos pictures I saw.

Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by Aystarz: 9:37am On Apr 17, 2016
comradee1248:
Werey Igbo
Mods, do the needful.
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by naptu2: 9:44am On Apr 17, 2016
Dollyak:
Why can't they implement toucan road crossings? More effective than pedestrian bridges. Pedestrian bridges are mostly used for highways in most countries.
This, in addition to aesthetics are the reason why ground road crossings are better. Instead of prosecuting the pedestrians, drivers should be forced to obey the road crossings signs.

There are pedestrian crossings on smaller roads and pedestrian bridges on expressways (Ikorodu Road is a 10 lane expressway). Read what's below.

naptu2:

Your suggestion makes sense, but I think the reason that people are opposed to it is because of the crazy drivers we have here.

I'll give you an example. There are zebra crossings and speed bumps before the two roundabouts at either end of the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge. A sane person would slow down in order to safely go over the speed bump, give way to pedestrians on the zebra crossing and go round the roundabout. Unfortunately there are very few sane people in Lagos. I see quite a lot drivers accelerate as they approach the speed bumps, in order to demonstrate that their car is capable of jumping over the bumps. Sometimes it seems as if their intention is to kill any pedestrian they see on the zebra crossing and unfortunately there have been too many Saturday mornings that I've seen cars that have plunged into the roundabout or smashed into the wall beside the roundabout because they've been trying to go round at full speed.

I think this is why some people are opposed to your suggestion.

4 Likes

Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by nedu2000(m): 9:46am On Apr 17, 2016
...and what if i'm afraid of heights
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by Dollyak(f): 9:50am On Apr 17, 2016
naptu2:

There are pedestrian crossings on smaller roads and pedestrian bridges on expressways (Ikorodu Road is a 10 lane expressway). Read what's below.

Fair enough. Sounds reasonable.
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by kay29000(m): 9:50am On Apr 17, 2016
flyca:
Pls they should build escalator enabled bridges. Sometimes, after work, no energy to climb up and down. Onipanu bridge is especially tasking cry

But there is energy to run and dodge fast moving cars while crossing the express?
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by seunajia: 10:02am On Apr 17, 2016
What we have here are not pedestrian bridges, we have pedestrian crossings which are easier to use. You press the button by the roadside and the traffic light will help you stop the vehicles ASAP. This has the added effect of helping drivers check excessive speeding.

I remember Fashola built something like this at Bode Thomas junction in Surulere.
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by iamNifemi(m): 10:07am On Apr 17, 2016
limitless777:
crossing the express road: a suicide attempt.
in mama Peace' voice.... i 'll rather kill masef than to commit suicide.
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by Mustay(m): 10:09am On Apr 17, 2016
And very soon comes the concern of not having bridges that are friendly to the physically challenged. undecided
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by maxti: 10:10am On Apr 17, 2016
A friend friend mine crossed the road instead of using the pedestrian bridge. An overzealous KAI officer crossed after him to arrest him.

Friend: wetin be my offense?

Officer: you cross Road, you no use bridge.

Friend: but na cross you cross to arrest me. You self commit the same offense. You for use with bridge before you arrest me. How we go do nah?

Officer: kosi lo joor!

#eyesaiah

2 Likes

Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by lavenjcrown(m): 10:11am On Apr 17, 2016
Even if am to use the pedestran bridge, nt the one at fadeyi along ikorodu road. cos dat bridge is a dead trap one. Mr ambode plz we are looking up to u there.
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by naptu2: 10:18am On Apr 17, 2016
Mustay:
And very soon comes the concern of not having bridges that are friendly to the physically challenged. undecided

That's the problem I have with the new pedestrian bridges. The old pedestrian bridges had 4 access points. Two of those access points were ramps for people who use wheelchairs, while the other two access points were staircases. The new bridges only have two staircases. There are no ramps for physically challenged people.

1 Like

Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by Nobody: 10:47am On Apr 17, 2016
Stop complaining my friend. Na part of ur exercise routine...
flyca:

Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by Jacko1(m): 11:34am On Apr 17, 2016
Initial gra gra

We shall soon be crossing those bridges as usual

Govt go tire......
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by yorbaba(m): 11:35am On Apr 17, 2016
very serious at ojota bridge
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by Originalsly: 12:16pm On Apr 17, 2016
Poor planning. Did they consider the elderly?...the handicapped?...todlers?...people with heavy loads?...bulky loads?...ask how these people are expected to cross and you would get hot air for answer. What is wrong with having traffic lights at these busy crossing areas?

1 Like

Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by otswag(m): 12:48pm On Apr 17, 2016
Lol
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by kristen12(f): 12:56pm On Apr 17, 2016
flyca:
I can hate that Onipanu bridge ehn. Very annoying
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by Bamz(m): 1:30pm On Apr 17, 2016
flyca:

Haha I've always climbed the Ojota bridge since time immemorial smoothly a without hassle....yesterday however LOL it was a like a narrow passage of heaven.
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by oloriooko(m): 2:54pm On Apr 17, 2016
This is exactly what we need here in Abuja especially the expressways where citizens have no value for their lives and the govt gives no hoot!
Re: Use The Pedestrian Bridge Or Get Bounced (pix) by sexaddict08(m): 8:07pm On Apr 17, 2016
goodlifehyd:
Nigerians are so used to doing thing the wrong way even with the necessary facilities available, yet when a drunk driver runs over them they would blame the government for not doing a proper work

its not peculiar to lagosians only, its the general behavior of nigerians, even outside the coutry you still see nigerians disobeying the law cuz thats what they grew up learning

its not peculiar to nigerians only, its the general behavior of Africans

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Defiles 9 Boys In Kano Inside His Shop / Teacher Who Refused His School To Be Used As Secretariat In Ogun Punished (Pics) / Gunmen Kidnap Driver, Passengers, Demand N1m Ransom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.