Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,422 members, 7,812,239 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria (14026 Views)

Looking For Products Of High Demands To Sell / Shop For Products Online / I Would Like To See Products Made In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Hero(m): 7:52am On Dec 29, 2005
ajisafe, you're right. seun, you're wrong, my man. As for those saying they are proud to be africans, this is a funny way to show it. By erasing the the very african name.

By the way, how did toyota, daewoo, mitsubishi, mazda, nintendo, and the rest sell to the "developed" world using asian names? just wondering. it actually gives their product more recognition. its business wise to sell from your base. what makes a product internation isnt its name, it's the quality.

I don't get the roman analogy. the world isnt rome, its the world. we each have out space in the world. Let's use out names. not only because of pride but because its business wise.

so my response is i'd keep the names the same, but add a Ltd at the end, e.g. Nigeria Zobo, Ltd

I agree, but at the same time it's important to have the name be catchy and direct in structure. Ex: Nsukka, Omotola, Dangote, Adamawa, Kainji and such.
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 10:55am On May 07, 2006
I agree, but at the same time it's important to have the name be catchy and direct in structure. Ex: Nsukka, Omotola, Dangote, Adamawa, Kainji and such.

These Afrocentric names are fine, as long as we keep to our tradition and eschew the whiteman's indoctrination. There's nothing wrong with our African-ness.
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by eeman(f): 1:33pm On May 14, 2007
I dont think there is anything wrong with african names for our products. its all about positioning, perception and packaging and importantly, the quality of the products.
Indian foods[chapati, samosa etc] are appreciated world wide not minding the names.
obalende suya is making it in britain i presume, so package it well  and see if it does not sell be it waina and mian taushe, amala and ewedu or akpu and idikaikong.
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by dollyp1cute(f): 11:40pm On May 14, 2007
Ajisafe:

I agree, but at the same time it's important to have the name be catchy and direct in structure. Ex: Nsukka, Omotola, Dangote, Adamawa, Kainji and such. These Afrocentric names are fine, as long as we keep to our tradition and eschew the whiteman's indoctrination. There's nothing wrong with our African-ness.

Abeg leave all the emancipation palava for now, allow

Amala - Black Pudding
Abula - Soup of the day
moinmoin - steamed beancake
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by snazzydawn(f): 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2007
I think moi moi would be better as bean pudding

akara- bean cake
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by lami4life(f): 12:57pm On Dec 11, 2007
Puff-puff - double puff cool
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by NBA(m): 4:06am On Dec 15, 2007
I found this reverse interpretation funny:
grin

Akara Eleyin - Scotch Egg
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by cg1312(f): 2:07pm On Dec 17, 2007
grin wow u guys crack me up, honestly i feel some of the names are not all that bad , but when finally done how will the non-genetic names be presented, and to which ministry.
well done guys appreciate the sense of unity but i believe other continents or individuals from other countries should be able to work on the local names cos u cant go to mexico and expect them to rename guacamole cos u cant pronounce or lasagna common guys, well as mtn has said if it has nt been done go for it
best regards
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by cg1312(f): 2:18pm On Dec 17, 2007
eeman e be like say u come from the north or u enjoy the dishes, well true to all weve said , we can leave the local names when asked thats when an explanation shuld follow
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by darqly(m): 7:05pm On Dec 17, 2007
Loving it, grin

Kuli-Kuli - Rockachops
Kunin Tsamiya - Sour Cream
Brabisko - Cassava mish-mash
Kanzo- Corn flakes (Corn flakes actually is 'kanzo' if u examine it critically, ) grin
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by obua: 11:07am On Dec 18, 2007
Lets keep our names,
Lets improve our products,
lets establish niga restaurants abroad,
lets be honest and decent,
lets keep our names,
Lets keep our identity
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by odiaseo(m): 11:25am On Dec 18, 2007
To be frank let's keep our names the way they are. We should not lose our identity, traditions or culture. In fact traditions and cultural differences are appreciated abroad. Foreigners are fascinated by our culture and dresses and they admire them a lot even if they don't want to admit it.

The Asians have not lost their identity. In fact they are proud of it and promote it all over the world. There are Chinese restaurants world wide and they haven't changed the names of their dishes. The same applies to the Indians in the food and film industries. Bolly wood produces Indian movies and promote their culture, dresses etc but Nolly wood tends to imitate a foreign culture. What are we like?

Lets maintain our identity and not try to imitate a foreign culture.
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by SOJ(m): 12:16pm On Dec 18, 2007
I would agree wit seun and all who say this thread is basically a "fun thread" therefore it shouldnt be taken serious.I mean whats with the "international standards" thing? there is nothing international about changing the name of an indigenious product developed locally to a more "english" sounding name.Thats a lot of crap i must say. Ask urselves why names such as sushi, yamarita and pizza are great worldwide and they are not english names?what is wrong with amala, fufu and ogiri as a name? as far as am concerned, such names bringout the uniqueness of such products especially when mixed into variants of their original flavor.And if packaged properly and exqisitely presented to the world, we would have ourselves a worldwide hit. Once a again, i must say seun, alheri and co ( feels good to say this!) U ARE WRONG!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buying Itunes and Amazon @ Good rates / Fire Razes Down Shops In Ikotun, Betterlife Ijora Markets(photos) / How To Make Money On Twitter From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.