Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

What Is One Thing You Caught Your Child Doing That You Wish You Had Never Seen? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is One Thing You Caught Your Child Doing That You Wish You Had Never Seen? (2808 Views)

What Is The One Thing You Regret Not Asking Your Spouse Before Marriage? / What's The Funniest Thing You Thought Was True As A Child? / What’s That Habit You Wish Your Children Don’t Inherit From You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is One Thing You Caught Your Child Doing That You Wish You Had Never Seen? by ItuExchange(m): 9:52am On Apr 17, 2016
What is one thing you caught your child doing that you wish you had never seen?

Oh man, I will never forget this (because it still happens).

My two year old daughter had an orgasm. Right in front of me. From grinding her little vagina on the corner of her toddler sized ottoman.

SO here's the full story:

When my daughter was about four months old, I was giving her a bath in her baby bath, which came with a spa whirlpool attachment. One day, I put her in the bath, and the whirlpool was facing her feet (normally it was pointed at her head, but she was on the little elevated thing so it would just circulate around her). She started cooing happily. I figured - like a normal dad - she was just happy for her bath.

Cue next bathtime: I put her in the correct way this time, and she realized she couldnt feel the hot water jet on her vagina (I didn't connect this for a while, and even then I just thought she liked how it felt on her feet). BABY. WAS. PISSED.

Fast forward a few months, and her grandmother bought her a toddler sized easy chair, that came with an ottoman. Now she had always been a squirmy wormy, we just never figured out that she was trying to stimulate her vagina on things.

To this day, I still don't know why she tried to hold herself up on the sides of it and hump the corner of it. I have no idea where she got that idea. I just remember watching her and wondering if she was itchy, or had a UTI, or some other scary thing that a dad who grew up with only brothers had never experienced. Then she did it. She let out this low guttural sound, ignored everyone around her, and then stood up fresh as a daisy.

....Oh.....My.....God....Did...She...Just...

If I could have bleached my brain I would have. So my enlightened reaction is to make a doctors appointment who informs me that this is a thing called Toddler Masturbation! WHAT?! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NONSENSE?! ARE YOU SERIOUS? WELL HOW DO I STOP IT?!

DON'T stop it is what I was told, you'll make her afraid of her body. As she gets older, you just have to tell her that this sort of thing happens in her bedroom only, in private.

So here she is, at four. Still humping away, though now shes way too big for that ottoman (it gets washed lmfao). As a result, she has developed an absolute ridiculous upper body and core, she has a sixpack and her waist can still fit 6 month jeans.

Although we don't actively encourage her to do it, we also don't stop her. We let her know it's normal to explore your body, (though we do actively discourage her from trying to put anything in there like fingers and stuff).

My son - thankfully - is more interested in trucks and trains.

Here is some links on this subject, and for those wondering, yes I followed up with a child behavioral psychologist, an endocrinologist, and everyone else under the sun to make sure it wasnt Precocious Puberty.

When Toddlers Touch Themselves: The Best Way to Handle a Touchy Situation

Precocious Puberty

UPDATES:

People have asked me why didn't we take her ottoman away. We did. She stole my wife's step stool. Since she's too big for the ottoman we figure if we give that to her she'll hit muscle failure sooner.

I've also been asked if she gets bored and that's why she stands up. She's been known to steal an iPad so she can watch Netflix while she does this. Clever scamp.

I have been asked about CPS (Child Protective Services). Yes, this did get me a visit from CPS. My daughter was having night-terrors from what we suspected was anxiety about becoming a big sister. We contacted a New Parent Support counselor, and explained what was happening. She came to the house, saw our daughter humping her ottoman, and contacted CPS. How did we find out? A 0700 visit on Veteran's day, being questioned by what turned out to be a very nice lady. It helped that I had taken her to a medical doctor, psychologist, and endocrinologist. Our case was closed within 4 months, but it was fairly nerve wracking.

As a bonus, because I was in the military at the time, this also caused a CID (Criminal Investigation Department) case to be opened against me. I was never questioned, charged, or anything else though. I think everyone understood the Counselor had jumped to conclusions.

Edit: One outstanding Quoran pointed out to me that it was the clitoris she was stimulating, not the actual vagina. While that's true, I don't have the intestinal fortitude to write "my daughter" and "clitoris" in the same sentence. My faithful fellow Quoran is spot on though.

Edit 2: WOW! This has gotten so much more popular than I ever dreamed! Thank you to all, I make an effort to respond to each of your comments. There has been an overwhelmingly positive response to this story. I am so thankful this has led to so much goodness and education for people, and I am so grateful to those of you calling me a good father.

Some of you have questioned whether I should have gone anonymous for this, citing my daughter's privacy and future bullying. While I severely doubt that anyone is going to come on Quora in a few years, dig up my name, and then find this particular question to find this particular answer and bully her for it, I suppose anything is possible. However if this is the worst thing that happens to her, I'll consider myself lucky. I'll take her on here and show her all the positive that has come from telling her story. I thank you for your concerns though smiley.

So this answer just broke half a million views. That is unbelievable! Everyone who has read this answer, who has commented, who has up voted it, you are what make Quora so great. It isn't my answer, it's every one of you reading it. Every funny joke, anatomical correction, concern for privacy, and of course every mirroring story that people were shamed or scared to share. You are what make this site the only social media I use. There has been such an outpouring of love and support, of a community built around similar stories to this, from everyone who never knew it happened to anyone besides them. From everyone who shared their own tale. I'm so humbled and honored. I will continue to nurture this community as long as you all keep commenting. Thank you all so VERY much, I love each and every one of you.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-is-one-thing-you-caught-your-child-doing-that-you-wish-you-had-never-seen

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: What Is One Thing You Caught Your Child Doing That You Wish You Had Never Seen? by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 17, 2016
I no get Pikin grin, nothing seen , no regret grin

(1) (Reply)

Help It’s Urgent Please / I Don’t Know Why My Dad Doesn’t Like Me / Pls I Need Advice On An AC To Buy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.