Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,542 members, 7,816,319 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 (1184 Views)

Man Posts Bottle Of Beer And Bible Verse To Justify His Drink (Photo) / I Kings 17:12-13 And Typical Nairalander's Response / Spirit Meat - Your Faith And Wisdom - James 1:1-8, 1 Kings 17:7-16 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by anukulapo: 12:09pm On Apr 19, 2016
This is a scene from the meeting of the prophet Elijah and the widow of Zarephath.

And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.
And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son.

This sounds simple because we are reading it. How would this be taken if it happens to you? How would you justify the request? Given that you don't know the out come.

A pastor walks up to you and says "attend to mine first from the little that you have..."
Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by ayobase(m): 7:19pm On Aug 20, 2016
anukulapo:
This is a scene from the meeting of the prophet Elijah and the widow of Zarephath.

And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.
And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son.

This sounds simple because we are reading it. How would this be taken if it happens to you? How would you justify the request? Given that you don't know the out come.

A pastor walks up to you and says "attend to mine first from the little that you have..."

It is a matter of how strong your faith is in God.

That widow must be a "born again" Christian, and who strongly believed in the servant of God.

And a characteristic of a cheerful giver.

Why am I just seeing this thread?
Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by anukulapo: 12:35pm On Aug 22, 2016
ayobase:

That widow must be a "born again" Christian, and who strongly believed in the servant of God.

That kin "born again" no be problem BUT my real concern is for the "Pastor" asking to be served first while you also have the need for the same thing he is requesting from you.

I was thinking that the pastor should lay down for the sheep and not otherwise ESPECIALLY with the kinda issue arising from the text
Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by ayobase(m): 2:46pm On Aug 22, 2016
anukulapo:

That kin "born again" no be problem BUT my real concern is for the "Pastor" asking to be served first while you also have the need for the same thing he is requesting from you.

I was thinking that the pastor should lay down for the sheep and not otherwise ESPECIALLY with the kinda issue arising from the text

Maybe God's directive.

Besides, there is blessing attached when you give to God's servant.

The levites eat from what is brought unto God.
Full ministry.
Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by Scholar8200(m): 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2016
anukulapo:

It will not be difficult to do if you read a little further:

For thus saith the Lord God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the Lord sendeth rain upon the earth.
1 Kings 17:14

These were spoken not by a covetous man of mammon but by one who stood before God hence his words were persuasive and faith-inspiring!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by Ikennablue(m): 10:02pm On Aug 22, 2016
This is the same case with God asking Abraham to sacrifice his only son, it's a test of Faith, trust, and patience
Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by analice107: 10:46pm On Aug 22, 2016
The problem with today's Nigerian Christians is that, when they give, they don't see God, they see the Pastor receiving, that's why they never give and so never receive.

The devil has so held tightly to this and Christians have kept themselves from giving hence, being blessed. Satan knows that the one way to receive is to give. Even Satanists give, their going is even more expensive.

Something must leave for something else to come in.
Financial break-through does not answer to fasting and prayers, it answers to giving "SACRIFICIALLY". It's a Principle.

Anytime i read that passage, I wonder what today's Christians would ve called Prophet Elijah if he were alive today.

Here is a widow, with a son. There's recession in the country, no rain to plant any crops. There's so much hunger, its so bad she has given up on life.

"Let's eat this two cups of Garri and Wait for death she said to her son", but here comes a stranger telling her that he were a prophet of God. He says to her, "Go and bring that garri for me to eat first".

Say what??. You are a man, you have the strength to work. And a man of God at that. Shouldn't you be the one giving to us instead of demanding for our very last? What kind of a man of God are you?

As a matter of fact, isn't God responsible for this problem? God is so wicked to sit in heaven and watch the people he claims to love die of hunger. Women and children dying of hunger everywhere. There can't be God, in fact God doesn't exists. Get away from my house.

And, afterwards everyone will hear about it, then post it on NL, then all the atheists will curse God the more.

That would be the typical responds of today's average Nigerian christian.

But that Widow, (Not an Israelites, a sidonite) she didn't serve Yahweh. But hearing the words of the prophet, she believed and obeyed, and for THREE AND HALF yrs she and her son, were well preserved.

As long as the earth remains, Seed time and harvest shall not cease.

He who gives bountiful shall receive bountiful, but he who gives sparingly, shall receive sparingly.

Givers never lack.

Cast your bread upon the waters, and after many days, you shall find it again.

On the way to Sodom, the Lord visited Abraham, Abraham, killed a good healthy calf for God. When there's was need, Isaac was laying there tied to be slain, God remembered Abraham offering and gave back the calf Abraham gave him, years back in replacement for Isaac.

The best time to give is when u don't have.
When giving don't see the hand of a man, see God's hand.
Giving is a Principle that works for all, both righteous and the unrighteous.

God owes no man. Whatsoever a man sows, that's what he will reap.

Don't give, no sweat, but you are not keeping any pastor down, you are keeping yourself.
That's not to say, it's right for pastors to use this as a leverage for steal from the sheep.

1 Like

Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by anukulapo: 1:18pm On Aug 23, 2016
Scholar8200:
It will not be difficult to do if you read a little further:

For thus saith the Lord God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the Lord sendeth rain upon the earth.
1 Kings 17:14

These were spoken not by a covetous man of mammon but by one who stood before God hence his words were persuasive and faith-inspiring!
Without doubt, Elijah was a great man of God and not covetous.
It is also not about the woman doing it, I am just wondering how it would play out today.

For example, if you were on the titanic during the disaster and a pastor walks up to you and say "let me take your life jacket..." and gives you a prophecy, will you give it up?

I in no way judge the great m an of God. More over,that which is written is easy to judge because we know the outcome. So...?
Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by anukulapo: 4:46pm On Aug 23, 2016
ayobase:

Maybe God's directive.

Besides, there is blessing attached when you give to God's servant.

The levites eat from what is brought unto God.
Full ministry.
But it wasn't written that God gave directive to the woman (as per say God told her) except that God has identified a woman with a good heart (17 v 9). However, the woman is not the issue neither is the feeding. It's just the "prepare my own first..." that I am pondering.

P.S.
Read the titanic example
Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by anukulapo: 4:53pm On Aug 23, 2016
analice107:

That's not to say, it's right for pastors to use this as a leverage for steal from the sheep.
Nice line.

Another issue is, many think it is about giving to Pastors and not about giving to the needy. There are Pastors that take advantage and boldly come to you and say "sow this into my life..." (requesting that you give them something that you have).

There are many that are greedy and cheat you with smooth talk. 2 Peter 2:3... and many will fall for them.
Smooth talk, quoting scriptures, intimidating people with vain spirituality (spiritual consequence of not giving)...

There are many out there.
Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by analice107: 6:53pm On Aug 23, 2016
anukulapo:

Nice line.

Another issue is, many think it is about giving to Pastors and not about giving to the needy. There are Pastors that take advantage and boldly come to you and say "sow this into my life..." (requesting that you give them something that you have).

There are many that are greedy and cheat you with smooth talk. 2 Peter 2:3... and many will fall for them.
Smooth talk, quoting scriptures, intimidating people with vain spirituality (spiritual consequence of not giving)...

There are many out there.
My dear, I met a Pastor like that once. At that point, I was recovering from an accident . I was going on crutches when this pastor asked that my phone, the only phone i had then, been used as a seed faith offering to him. At first, I thought he was joking.
He actually collected my phone as if he wanted to watch my photos then said thank you, I was just smiling thinking he was joking. My dear, the man was serious oo.
Ahh, but sir, that's the only phone I have and see my condition nah, not as if I can do anything to help myself right now. I was really firm before that man gave me back my phone oo. Wetin?

Seed Faith is Voluntarily, not supposed to be asked . The Pastor shouldn't even be aware of my seed faith, I ought to go and drop it at the altar after doing my prayers. It's between me and God, but Pastors who are thieves have turned seed faith to blackmail. I no gree oo. Abeg give me my phone. Nah by force?

1 Like

Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by ayobase(m): 12:30pm On Sep 15, 2016
anukulapo:

But it wasn't written that God gave directive to the woman (as per say God told her) except that God has identified a woman with a good heart (17 v 9). However, the woman is not the issue neither is the feeding. It's just the "prepare my own first..." that I am pondering.

P.S.
Read the titanic example

The message is clear.

I think it is all based on personal conviction.

More reason we should be spirit filled to decipher wrong prophecies and charges.

And when giving, it should be considered as giving unto God.
Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by wolesmile(m): 12:54pm On Sep 15, 2016
ayobase:

That widow must be a "born again" Christian, [/b]and who strongly believed in the servant of God.

Did you say [b]born again Christian?
During the time of prophet Elijah? Christian?
Re: How Can We Relate And Justify This? 1 Kings 17: 12-13 by ayobase(m): 1:13pm On Sep 15, 2016
wolesmile:

Did you say born again Christian? During the time of prophet Elijah? Christian?

You should understand better with it quoted.

(1) (Reply)

Help Me Interprete This Dream / 14 Non-religious Reasons Why Birthdays Should Not Be Celebrated / A Lady Will Win America Election - Pastor Tb Joshusa The Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.