Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria (11207 Views)

For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! / Rock Music Is Satanic? / Any Fans Of Rock Music On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by justkunmi(m): 2:29pm On Feb 03, 2007
the album is a complete knockout. lips of an angel is good but the other songs are better. try to look for it
try limewire. see wat u come up with.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 7:13pm On Feb 03, 2007
smone called Jack ingram has released his own'Lips of an angel'
can u imajin

dont wori ive gotten the album frm a friend
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by justkunmi(m): 8:45pm On Feb 04, 2007
U've lisetened to it?
how are the songs
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 4:38pm On Feb 07, 2007
they are tite ooh!
nice one~
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by candylips(m): 8:51am On Feb 26, 2007
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 2:53pm On Feb 27, 2007
Whut is that!!
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by candylips(m): 9:31pm On Feb 27, 2007
click through to find out
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by chasong(m): 1:15pm On Jul 31, 2007
I have been listening to people replying to Gamine. Cool stuff im hearing.
Here's my little opinion,
First of all, a lot of Nigerian do not really know rock if they hear some versions of rock , like some people say fadabasi plays rock cos he uses a guitar, that's pretty funny. So except you actually say, I PLAY ROCK, people will like your music if its tight.
What comes to the mind of a lot of Nigerians when they hear rock is screaming bands like metallica or slipknots, or some hardcore group, but there are more than 12 different styles of rock.
So here's my bit to you. If you want to do rock girl, go on and do your thingy, if its good, it will hit.
Like someone wisely said, add some "african(thats hard to really define) vibe to it, Can be congas underneath, some lines of yoruba, some poeple dresses in native attire or adding some pan flute to it like a friggin home video,
Then, from reading your stuff, you sound a bit new to the terrain. One word of advice "IF YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC SAMPLES FROM A 'PRODUCER (TOO MANY SHIT ONES THESE DAYS), AND YOU DONT LIKE IT, DONT USE THAT PRODUCER!!!"
Your rep, career and potential audience are at stake from a lousy job

Before I left Nigeria, I had a rock band. Was working full time so it wasnt easy, got to play at different venues,
The trick was to do a heavy rock song that's DANCEABLE, and that sets the pace for a lighter song(s)
I wish you all the best, dont be swayed by people who say you cant (they say that cos they have not had the balls to do anything tangible themselves apart from criticising others)

Cheers
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by chasong(m): 1:31pm On Jul 31, 2007
Excuse me logorrhea, but apart from martial arts, my second passion is music, rock music

Gamine, if you want to do rock live, you will NEED a good guitarist in your band. (Not some person playing some basic neck chords or makose tunes!)
Then the MOST other important thing is you will need to get effects pedals for guitars (Distortion/overdrive is the most important, then you will need wah, flang or some multi-effects pedal), thank God for master card and online purchase,

Good luck
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 2:49pm On Jul 31, 2007
Thanks man.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by omogeni(f): 1:56pm On Aug 01, 2007
I haven't heard you sing but I believe you can anything you set your mind to do. Being a die hard rock fan I would love to hear you sing. Anyway keep doing your thing and am sure you will make it.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 2:59pm On Aug 01, 2007
I WLD HV POSTD A SAMPLE

BUT SINCE I LOST MY SYSTEM,

I HVNT DONE ANYTHIN NEW.

THANKS OMOGENI
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Shaunscot(m): 11:38pm On Aug 01, 2007
Well,I love rock and I think some Nigerians are beginning to perform good rock songs.
There is this guy Iyke Onka.Ive heard two of his ongs and they are good.
Also,Sergeant plus did VERY WELL with Kauna Allah.
ANd there is the almighty stupid 'NEPA TOOK THE LIGHT'.Something like that.Dont know the name of the song.It was funny and I loved the tune.
My point is, if your song is good,you will get air-play.With airplay comes shows that you would be invited for and that is where the majority of the artistes make their money from.
Advise-Dont sing for the money.Sing because its what you love doing
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by WendKuni1(f): 12:26am On Aug 11, 2007
Hi my fellow Naija people,

I stumbled upon this particular post about rock music and Nigeria. I've been in a kind of quandary myself 'cause I've wanted to go back home and be a rock artist there, but I'm not really sure what the Naija appreciation for rock music is. I like Chasong's comment, "So except you actually say, I PLAY ROCK, people will like your music if its tight." I have some music samples of songs I've written and performed at www.myspace.com/lolaokusamimusic.
I'll be interested in what you guys think.

Thanks.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by chasong(m): 1:15am On Aug 11, 2007
Hiya Wend Kuni,
What can i say?
You have loads of talents, as in a lot of it.
But on a more critical level, I noticed three things
-Your vocals can be a better. Dont get me wrong, your singing is really really cool, but a trained ear will still hear small lapses
-Your mix and final edit for the projects you put on your myspace page also have small lapses,

I really liked the second song, personal preference, burning bridges, really nice

You have loads of talents, a great voice, good lyrics, you're good to go

Look forward to seeing you sometime in Nigeria, and maybe we might jam together sometime,

Cheers
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by WendKuni1(f): 1:32am On Aug 11, 2007
Thanks, Chasong, for responding. It was my first time recording in the studio so please excuse the lapses. On more recent stuff, I sound much better vocally. Also, the music on myspace hasn't been mastered, so the levels are kinda all over the place. But thanks for the critique. I really appreciate it. And, yes, I look forward to working together.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:16am On Aug 11, 2007
hi, i think u have what it takes, if u believe in urself to make it, in the music industry, dont let people tell u otherwise, also, i will like to know if u write ur own songs, if u do then u are on ur way to making it world wide, i write songs and i have even got contacts with paramount music and pictures, if u need more info just let me know.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 1:45pm On Aug 13, 2007
i write me own songs, so its much better for me
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by WendKuni1(f): 6:37pm On Aug 13, 2007
Hisson3

Thanks. Please feel free to contact me through myspace so we can talk further. I'm interested in any contacts you might have.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 09, 2008
it is nice to see you doing rock, there are some guys doing it rite now in naija and it sounds good, u can check djinee, iyke onka and eben, they are doing something new and gud,i am also into rock , and i wont mind penning some gud songs for you if you are interetsed reach me on godsonalofoje@yahoo.com.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by icezik1(m): 2:52pm On Apr 10, 2008
Rock music is slowly gaining popularity in Nigeria with some some Nigeria artistes like Eben, Djinee, Roof Top MC's, Uchie the African Rockstar, etc doing rock songs. They should keep it up.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 2:41pm On May 03, 2008
Omo , i think the future is bleak sad

Even for a Christian artiste like me. sad

with the high rate of satanic this n that going round.

I guess i have to go with a nameless genre

People can classify it any how they want, i will sing my songs!
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by lucabrasi(m): 6:06pm On May 03, 2008
i just stumbled on this thread,but i think music is all about experimenting and if you r into rock music im sure nigerians know good music when they hear one and as long as you dont go too overboard while keeping it african and original then u r on to a winner,theres nothing like understanding rock music as its simply the way it sounds,the origin of rock and roll is african (i.e from the african slaves on the plantations)and later on shifted to mainstream white and is slowing going back to hip hip now
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 12:37am On May 05, 2008
I started this thread with my teenage dream of being in a band.

But two years after i can see the reality, im goin to experiment

and i wont give a genre, whatever it is to anybody let it be

It will be NU music.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by icezik1(m): 3:11pm On May 06, 2008
Eh , just so you know, the genre NU music already exists. Come up with something else. grin
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 9:55pm On Feb 22, 2009
OH MY GOSH!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is GREAT!!!

I cant believe this!!!

ok!, im getting in touch with you right now!!!

Im speechless right here.lol
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by jadestar: 12:59am On Feb 23, 2009
Contact me on AOL Instant Messenger, ladyjiggyj is my screen name.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by jadestar: 1:49am On Feb 23, 2009
Just a quick note, I noticed some responses in this thread talking about the relative popularity of Rock in Nigeria and what sells etc,

I have not been to Nigeria but I can tell you this: Rock is global.

Also, no one who does anything worth anything in music sits down and says, "right, R&B is popular, I'm going to sing R&B." It doesn't work like that. msic is a feeling and an expression. When I met Will Smith's wife, Jada Pinkett Smith briefly for like a minute, I asked her for advice and she told me two things: "Sing from your heart and write what you feel."

In other words if you feel like rock then you sing rock, you don't go watching charts, you sing from your heart and what YOU are feeling. Trust me, the audience is there for this, regardless of where someone comes from. Rock is global, the same Evanescence tune that's popular in America is popular in Europe, Brazil, Thailand or Nigeria.

I trust what Jada says cause she and her band toured with Ozzy Osborne's Ozzfest.

Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1g6viZ3DEw

And an interview with her and the band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTrHns7QBMI

Also check out this interview with OTEP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNTp5Vnmdx0&feature=related

They're tight with Will Smith and Jada. In fact Will Smith was on stage with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCa3CCx2iKc&feature=related

Jada could have sung whatever she wanted but she wanted to do rock. Forget small minded people who can only see what is in front of their face. They are not visionaries. Forget people who point to radio charts and tell you that's what you should do. They're just as bad. Real music is made for hearts not for charts and there is a HUGE audience for that which is real.

Oh and rock music IS and always has been a black thing since way back.

Little Richard and Chuck Berry laid the foundations for rock, Jimi Hendrix (who was from my town of Seattle) laid the foundation for Metal and Grunge, the Bad Brains laid the foundation for every American Punk rock band to come out since 1980 and are cited by 311, Green Day and No Doubt as a big influence on them and Prince, Slash from Guns n Roses, Tina Turner, Kina, Res, Tony Macalpine and Lenny Kravitz all have represented well in the 80s and 90s. Not forgetting Living Colour who really broke down the barriers in the 1980s. And don't even get me started on all the Rock/Rap stuff going back to Run DMC, and now with Mos Def's metal band Blackjack Johnson, and The Roots rock stuff.Not to mention Rock and Roll came from Blues which was made by ex-slaves. Heck if you want to go back far enough the guitar itself is an African invention. Ro

What cracks me up is when the same black people who might look at you funny if you say you do rock, listen to Eminem or Justin Timberlake or Christine Aguilera,

For more on all this get this book - The Black Experience in Rock n Roll

http://www.amazon.com/Rip-Up-Black-Experience-Rock/dp/140396243X

And as for women in metal, look no further than this blog, something tells me you'll like this:
http://www.therockblog.de

Music is music. It doesn't have a color, only texture. We have an African-American president over here now. It's time to rock, the world is ready.
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by annekix(m): 6:10am On Feb 23, 2009
Rock on gir!!!Annekix puts on his white surfer boi accent, i think it's like tooootally rad you going into rock and all!!!

i love rock and would sooo give any upcoming artist my support

but seriously, it's gonna be tough, really tough, cuz most of them never really blow up big in naij

i remembr this group that sang , Nepa bring the light and No network

till now i still neva hear dem album sad sad sad, probably cuz record labelz are scared to invest in them

but they had a fault, though i liked their songz i felt they were trying too hard to be white boyz, accent and all

i think the most important thing is u have to have an angle

you have to have a certain style that's different and fresh, but maintain d naija flavour

it requires a veery long think, bout what u wanna sing about

you cant come off sounding like an avril lavigne, kelly c, pink u gotta sound like GAMINE!! cool

i heard one guy sing a rock song on a recent west african idol, he sounded really nice but the dumb judges killed his dream!! i waz so pissed! they gave him some lame xcuse saying rocks not in our culture!!!

and some dumb ***s holes that generalize the whole of rock as devlish may not give you a chance, angry angry
but scr!w them do ur thing, grin
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by annekix(m): 6:19am On Feb 23, 2009
wow, this post's ancient!, downloading the tracks any wayz
Re: Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria by annekix(m): 6:25am On Feb 23, 2009
not bad, not bad at all!! @wendi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do You Need A Music Promoter Or Marketer? / Tonto Dike - “Jeje” / Www.mypsquare.com - To Listen To New Album "game Over"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.