Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja (16910 Views)

Governor Ayade Locks Out SSG, Other Government House Staff For Coming Late. PICS / Eight Discos Turns Down 1,337MWH From TCN Despite Erratic Supply To Consumers / Lagos’ll Experience Blackout Today —TCN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by dre11(m): 8:16am On Apr 20, 2016
Okechukwu Nnodim, Abuja

The Transmission Company of Nigeria on Wednesday locked out workers from its headquarters in Abuja over a disagreement with the management and the Federal Ministry of Power, spiking fears that the nation may be plunged into a total blackout in the coming days.

It was gathered that the workers were denied entry into the headquarters of the TCN when they arrived for work in the morning as armed mobile police officers had taken over the premises.

A senior executive of the company told our correspondent that operations were grounded at the TCN as a result of the development and stressed that if the situation was not addressed immediately, it would negatively affect the power value chain.

“Of course, the TCN headquarters is where a lot of transmission activities are being coordinated and directives are given; a few of these transmission activities are also being implemented here. So, grounding activities at the TCN headquarters is not good at all for the entire power value chain, because it may lead to blackout in most parts of the country,” the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the matter, said.

On what led to the locking out of the workers by armed police officers, the official stated that the disagreement between the staff of the company and the Federal Government on issues of severance payment for some workers after the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria was privatised, among others, prompted the closure of the firm on Tuesday.

He said, “There are a lot of issues; some workers are complaining that they have not been paid and so they stopped the Permanent Secretary of the Power ministry, Louis Edozien, from trying to take over some offices in the building recently. During the process, there were series of altercations, which almost degenerated into a brawl.

“Also, the workers are of the view that the government had failed to keep to some of the agreements it reached with them, and as a result, insisted that the headquarters of the defunct PHCN, which currently houses the TCN, cannot be given to the ministry. This was fiercely fought against by the permanent secretary, but he met a stiff resistance from the workers.”

Confirming these, the Chairman, National Union of Electricity Employees, Abuja, Mr. Wisdom Nwachukwu, told our correspondent that the workers decided to vacate the TCN headquarters on Tuesday when they saw that the premises had been taken over by armed officers.

He stated that the disagreement with the ministry on issues of workers’ welfare had to be settled before it would be allowed to take over the building.

“After series of meetings, we reached agreements, but none of the agreements has been met. We made this known to the permanent secretary and instead of looking for ways to settle the issue, he decided to storm the headquarters with armed officers, who locked the workers outside,” Nwachukwu stated.

On whether the shutdown of the headquarters would not affect power supply across the country, Nwachukwu said, “The armed officers were deployed here on Monday night and they arrived around 12 midnight. We can’t access the building and therefore we can’t work. If we can’t work, and you know the importance of the TCN headquarters to transmission, then you should know the impact that this will have on the power system generally.”

When contacted, officials of the Power ministry told our correspondent that the matter was a labour issue and that it was being handled by the Ministry of Labour and Employment, insisting that it would not affect power supply.

“The issue will be resolved fast and I doubt if it will drag on for more than one day. So, I doubt if it will lead to nationwide power supply disruptions, because the Labour ministry held a meeting with them today (Tuesday), and the meeting will continue tomorrow (Thursday),” an official of the ministry said.

http://www.punchng.com/nationwide-blackout-looms-as-tcn-locks-out-workers/

1 Like

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Acidosis(m): 8:17am On Apr 20, 2016
I've been waiting to see this. We've not had power since the past 35 hours. In fact, we've had less than 10hrs of electricity since Sunday 17th.

The situation is the same in most parts of Lagos.

I wonder why Sahara Reporters have not published the phone numbers of Fashola and the 'senate committee on petroleum resources.' That's why people like me do not take that beer parlour media seriously.
Is someone scared of publishing the phone numbers of Mrs Jagaban? Fashola? Kachiku? & Buhari (Minister of Petroleum)?
Saraki is the least of my worries right now, but No! People choose to be derailed with vague news.

PMS stations have derived new strategies, they no longer sell fuel during working hours (period task force move around to monitor prices). They sell between the hours of 6am - 9am and 5pm - 8/9pm only in my area at N150 - 180 per litre.

These are the issues affecting our daily living. Open your eyes Nigerians.

74 Likes 8 Shares

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by babs01(m): 8:18am On Apr 20, 2016
Everything is turning upside down in this country. How we(me) job seeker(s) go take get job sef. But I believe after darkness comes the light.

12 Likes

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Standing5(m): 8:26am On Apr 20, 2016
Nigeria has been divided already . . .

5 Likes

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Nobody: 8:29am On Apr 20, 2016
looms or has been looming.... angry

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Achuwa1(m): 8:33am On Apr 20, 2016
Nigeria is on low ba3....the earlier ppl realize dis the better for them coz a country divided by ethnicity,religion & one region always rulling can never be one.
the earlier we split to our different regions the better for us coz WE CAN NEVER BE ONE.lets not be deceiving ourselves in dis unholy matrimony called Nigeria.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by TANTUMERGO007(m): 8:35am On Apr 20, 2016
Rocket-science minister still they china

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by youngeagle(m): 8:36am On Apr 20, 2016
They can do there worst,like say we hve bn using there light
Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Goke7: 8:40am On Apr 20, 2016
Its high time PMB wield the big stick in the power sector, Barth Nnaji did it by using the military and we had regular light for months before the I.B. show him the way out of his cluelessness.

The Power sector need a strong hand to get it moving, democracy cannot work in the power sector, let's stop deceiving ourselves.

6 Likes

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Beeman1(m): 8:51am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:
Nigeria is on low ba3....the earlier ppl realize dis the better for them coz a country divided by ethnicity,religion & one region always rulling can never be one.
the earlier we split to our different regions the better for us coz WE CAN NEVER BE ONE.lets not be deceiving ourselves in dis unholy matrimony called Nigeria.
Goan divide it. Nobody hold you na.

2 Likes

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by LesbianBoy(m): 8:54am On Apr 20, 2016
Buhari is a bastard and a failure angry

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by parklamson: 8:59am On Apr 20, 2016
point of correction,Nationwide Blackout CONTINUE. unah get light?

25 Likes

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Montaque(m): 9:06am On Apr 20, 2016
When I was in college, this is the kind of news that will propel me to iron all my clothes
Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by anthony86(m): 9:30am On Apr 20, 2016
Buhari is heartless, as if the fuel Scarcity is not enough coupled with increased Phcn bill, this is not a time to be proud being a Nigerian

14 Likes

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Pavarottii(m): 9:34am On Apr 20, 2016
Nigeria Don woski under Buhari.

#datsall.

13 Likes

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Abagworo(m): 9:50am On Apr 20, 2016
parklamson:
point of correction,Nationwide Blackout CONTINUE. unah get light?

All these power issues has not reached my side in Port Harcourt. Since January 2016 till date it has been 18hours daily. Maybe I'm enjoying for the support I gave Buhari.
Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by engrflames: 10:21am On Apr 20, 2016
lalasticlala food don land
password: snake

3 Likes

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Zet72(m): 10:32am On Apr 20, 2016
And the square peg in round hole minister of darkness is still busy, writing an endless epistle on the benefits of buharii meaningless gallivating around the world, while he abdicate his duty post.

Whoever still believe on this government that cannot provide basic ammenities like electricity and fuel to the citizenry. Is an enemy of the masses.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Almajiri1: 10:40am On Apr 20, 2016
Where is NLC? The workers should report to the eccentric Fayose so he can speak for them.

1 Like

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Almajiri1: 10:46am On Apr 20, 2016
Goke7:
Its high time PMB wield the big stick in the power sector, Barth Nnaji did it by using the military and we had regular light for months before the I.B. show him the way out of his cluelessness.

The Power sector need a strong hand to get it moving, democracy cannot work in the power sector, let's stop deceiving ourselves.
Aisha saloon boy.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Goralin: 10:52am On Apr 20, 2016
crixtex:
looms or has been looming.... angry
Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by dukie25: 10:52am On Apr 20, 2016
Where's Alhaji Fashola, the Honourable Minister of Darkness?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Generalkorex(m): 10:52am On Apr 20, 2016
Ok
Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Olukologia(m): 10:53am On Apr 20, 2016
God pls intervene quickly into de ata of dis country. De government should hold dem. So dt dey wil knw U re committed to transforation
Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by truthspeaks: 10:53am On Apr 20, 2016
Till 2018 grin

2 Likes

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by chimah3(m): 10:53am On Apr 20, 2016
BUHARI STILL FAILING!!

BEHT WHY BABA!!??

8 Likes

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by tola9ja: 10:54am On Apr 20, 2016
BABA is working everything will be fixed before ramadan

1 Like

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Etizz: 10:54am On Apr 20, 2016
OK.... Tut it was our transformer.....

So na national?

Naija where are we going
Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by notouradmin: 10:54am On Apr 20, 2016
[size=13pt]See what Jonathan and his crew turn Nigerian to[/size]
Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by masterblogger(m): 10:54am On Apr 20, 2016
Kk
Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by prinsam30: 10:54am On Apr 20, 2016
I don't know what kind of black out doom ur talking about but for me I slept with full voltage till this morning and I'm still expecting them restore it by 2 this afternoon

1 Like

Re: TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 20, 2016
And i just paid Nepa bill some minutes ago...

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

KOGI Speaker Declares Lawmakers Seat Vacant For Joining SDP (with Pictures) / PDP Primary In Kwara Stopped As Delegates Claim Ballots Have A Candidate's Name / South-East APC Demands Senate Presidency, SGF From Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.