Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents (26006 Views)

Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. / 10 Children Raised By Animals / Why You Shouldn't Marry A Lady Raised By A Single Parent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by adellam16(f): 4:30pm On Apr 21, 2016
DanceVille:
Firstly, growing up with Nigerian parents is mega interesting.Reflecting on the things they often force us to do would leave many laughing hysterically.They make us serve them compulsorily.If you tried to stand against your parents there's a chance that you could win series of slaps doing so.

Chances are you would probably do same for your children too.

1. When You're Sent On Unnecessary Errands

Nigerian mums are known for sending their childrens on annoying errands.Imagine being called by your mum from a distance only for her to ask you to get her something within her reach.

2. When There's A Reason For You Failing At Something

Nigerian parents love to jump into conclusion.Trying to explain a situation to them is almost impossible.Nigerian parents would be like..

"Why wouldn't you hit your head, when you wouldn't face where you're going..."

3. Are You Ok?

Nigerian parents are not checking your mental health here, when they say this, they're trying to call your attention to your stupidity.

4. When You're Being Eyed In Public/Event

Please don't be carried away when you go out with your Nigerian mum.She expects you to check her face for signs.Don't eat when she blinks her eyes funnily, you do so and you're dead.

5. When You're Expected To Cry Without Making Noise

When your parents beat you and threaten you about crying.. You hear words like!

"Hold it! If I hear pim..."

6. When Your Actions Are Being Justified

Parents justify their childrens' actions and form a new reason to lash out at them.

"Why won't You talk back at me when you have started developing Breast?"

7. When Parents Don't Want To Accept Defeat

Sometimes parents feel they have gone overboard with certain issues but still try to cover up their mistakes.They find a way of covering their own fault and make their childrens victim again.

"You're as tall as I am now, why wouldn't you talk to me like that".

8. When They Want To Be Dramatic

Parents know they could move their children to emotion by crying and acting sad.They say things like.

"After everything I've done for you, I carried you in my womb for nine months".Trust me, you would end up in tears yourself.

9. When Your Mum Cheats You By Collecting Money From You

Mother have interesting attributes.They assume the role of a bank when someone gives you money.When you try to have your money back, you would be told.

"All the food you're been eaten in this house was given to me in the market freely abi?".

10. When Your Parents Want To End Up Chastising Session

We all know parents don't get tired of correcting their childrens either by beating or lashing them with words.However, they have a unique way of concluding their speeches.

"We would keep telling you the truth, the rest is totally up to you.If you continue, you're doing yourself.

I drop my pen at this juncture.

Nairalanders, which of these can you relate with?

Feel free to add yours.

List Compiled By
DanceVille
what is childrens?
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by Tkini(f): 4:39pm On Apr 21, 2016
I can so relate...........how about when you do something wrong na ur matter dem go use preach for morning devotion.
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by Ahasuerus2(m): 4:59pm On Apr 21, 2016
justicejay:

Ahahah you make me remember bad thing, after offending her and she is really pissed off but she knw that she can start running after you to beat u, or the neighbors might rescue you, she will just wait till midnight you will even have a delicious supper. But inside her she is shaking head for you.
grin grin
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by EzeRedd(m): 5:52pm On Apr 21, 2016
True talk OP . some mothers be telling their daughters :

Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by fpeter(f): 6:27pm On Apr 21, 2016
adimloaded:
Mrs English dnt English me wc primary school did u attend or u hv not heard of de word children's day
before?

CHILDRENS and children's are not the same....before quoting me, read what the OP posted.
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by fpeter(f): 6:31pm On Apr 21, 2016
adimloaded:
Mrs English dnt English me wc primary school did u attend or u hv not heard of de word children's day before?

1. When You're Sent On Unnecessary Errands

Nigerian mums are known for sending their childrens on annoying errands.Imagine being called by your mum from a distance only for her to ask you to get her something within her reach.

7. When Parents Don't Want To Accept Defeat

Sometimes parents feel they have gone overboard with certain issues but still try to cover up their mistakes.They find a way of covering their own fault and make their childrens victim again.
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by liciouspee(f): 6:49pm On Apr 21, 2016
OMG!! That is so true. My mum still does 6,7 and 9 but it's to help build us n don't be surprised we would also do same when we have kids
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by oruchechuks(m): 8:12pm On Apr 21, 2016
And this too

Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by sayoberry(f): 9:53pm On Apr 21, 2016
Oh my..... Everything the op mentioned is me *covers face*
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by seyi360(m): 8:30am On Apr 22, 2016
The child that says his mother will not sleep, will not see sleep
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by adimloaded(f): 9:42am On Apr 22, 2016
Wat u said bf is dat dere is nothing like children's dat de plural of a child is children whether dey r 10million which is wrong,so try next time to be sure of wat u r saying bf correcting smone
fpeter:

CHILDRENS and children's are not the same....before quoting me, read what the OP posted.
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by fpeter(f): 9:47am On Apr 22, 2016
adimloaded:
Wat u said bf is dat dere is nothing like children's dat de plural of a child is children whether dey r 10million which is wrong,so try next time to be sure of wat u r saying bf correcting smone

what are you saying? we are talking about the plural form and not the use of apostrophe.
Please don't quote me if you don't understand what i have written, moreover i directed my
comment to the OP not you.
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by onyeomanono24(f): 10:12am On Apr 22, 2016
Nigerian mum will go to market with TV remote so that you can not watch the tele.
If you ever follow your mum to mkt to get food stuff then, She will price for a particular stuff in various shops while you carry the basket to & fro shop.

Mum: Customer oya let me add #100.
Seller: No madam, the last price is #1,500.
Mum: Ok sell #1,250

Hmmmhh as in, you will just get tired grin grin grin.

She will look at your frowned face and ask you "Hope the basket is not too heavy"
Re: 10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents by adimloaded(f): 12:02pm On Apr 22, 2016
Y must u be looking f an error in wat de op wrote,are u trying to tell us dat u know beta than everybody and ur over sabi cnt let u post smtin important
fpeter:

what are you saying? we are talking about the plural form and not the use of apostrophe.
Please don't quote me if you don't understand what i have written, moreover i directed my
comment to the OP not you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obituary Of Mother And Her 2 Children Killed In Fire Accident In Onitsha / France-Based Nigerian Mother & Her Adorable Quadruplets (Photos) / Divorce - Why Cant Women Say "I M Sorry"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.