Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,819 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs (2350 Views)

FG Bows As EFCC, Military Finally Release Ex-dasuki’s Aide (photo) / Senator Akpan Bows To Greet Saraki (Photo) / Fg Bows To Labour Demands, Reduces Fuel Price, Vat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Beaf: 1:06am On Aug 06, 2009
The controversy surrounding the exclusion of payment of royalties to oil-producing communities in the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) is about to be resolved.
The original bill gave five per cent of the royalties to the community and 25 per cent to the states where the oil is produced.
It was, however, withdrawn and a second bill was introduced in which the host communities would not be entitled to any interest if passed.
This, along with the reported relocation of the Petroleum University from Effurun, Delta State, to Kaduna, had incurred the wrath of South-south governors who subsequently threatened to pull out of President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua’s amnesty deal for Niger Delta militants.
It emerged yesterday that the Federal Government might have bowed to pressure by oil companies as well as leaders of the Niger Delta region to incorporate payment of royalties to the communities in the bill. . .
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=150707
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by desertboom(m): 11:53am On Aug 06, 2009
Carry go. I guess it will bring total peace and justice
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 06, 2009
whatch out,b4 this bill is passed one person will betray another or step on somebody's toe and the issue will be postponed till further notice. ABI NO BI SO E DEY HAPPEN BEFORE?
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 06, 2009
desertboom:

Carry go. I guess it will bring total peace and justice

Likely, though it may not be instantly. Justice brings about peace!
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Nobody: 12:37pm On Aug 06, 2009
aguiyi:

whatch out,b4 this bill is passed one person will betray another or step on somebody's toe and the issue will be postponed till further notice. ABI NO BI SO E DEY HAPPEN BEFORE?

Thanks for your prediction.

Next person please!
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by dfanthom(m): 12:43pm On Aug 06, 2009
i hope the funds are well managed & it's not hijacked by an evil & sinister cabal that'd deprive the communities from achieving ALL they possibly can. if the govt can be that altruistic then i believe this is the beginning of peace in the NDelta!
grin
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Ibime(m): 12:52pm On Aug 06, 2009
To all those more interested in money for their local community, this is a partial success.

To all those interested in building a sustainable structure for Nigeria, with power devolvement to local people, this is a failure.

Lets see how it plays out.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by lookmangiw(m): 1:05pm On Aug 06, 2009
They are talking abot PBI bills and throwing punches over that when serious issues are around.We have the Freedom of information Bill(FOI) there and nobody is saying anything over it.They will never bring out anything good for the masses,they only come out with bills that exploit and impoverish the people more.i tire for this old cargo of politrickian we have in this country.God shey na like this you go dey look us.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 06, 2009
Ibime:

To all those more interested in money for their local community, this is a partial success.

To all those interested in building a sustainable structure for Nigeria, with power devolvement to local people, this is a failure.

Lets see how it plays out.

More light on the emboldened before I label you a hypocrite of which you may have been.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Bariga1(f): 1:45pm On Aug 06, 2009
But let it be on record that it was said : “another group of boys will immerge very shortly and they will demand their share of the oil money as MEND is doing to put down arms.

Even if the government pulls out and leave the oil wells that are in the area. I can tell you that the area will still not develop.

Until people start to give their chairmen, senators and governors public flogging and in some cases where it is really bad hang the bastard. Will things change in the Niger Delta.

Citizens in the Niger Delta area will continue to suffer and the suffering will get worse over the years to come. I see Somalia developing within that part of Nigeria.

People need to take their destiny in their hands and ask question. MEND is not fighting for anyone but the money they can get in their pocket and the politicians past and present sponsoring them (we know their names but know need to mention even past governors). Yes there are issues for the government to resolve, but we do not have a government in Nigeria so people need to do things themselves.

How much investment has MEND, the governor, commissioner for investment brought into the states in the area? What do they do with their allocation? PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! SHINE YOUR EYE!!!!

It is easy to go to Abuja and demand Royalties, but what have you own people in government done for you?

First deal with your own people and then we will know that you are serious.

OBJ was the one who knew how to deal with you guys (even though I am not a fan of OBJ).

Government needs to develop the Niger Delta but not with a gun held to it head or having to first pay some hoodlum’s called MEND money.

Please put sentiments aside before replying me there is a problem within and not from the federal government. We agree the federal government has it own blames but the people you guys should be fighting should be MEND because they are having a free lunch off the back of law abiding citizens.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Ibime(m): 1:51pm On Aug 06, 2009
nuzo:

More light on the emboldened before I label you a hypocrite of which you may have been.

grin grin grin

It should be self-evident. The action does nothing to change the set-up of Government. Its the most FG could do without changing the status-quo. Its simply communities being allocated money from the National pie once again, and going by antecedents, one cannot be too sure how much money will trickle down to the common man.

It is time we start to think about setting up a constitution for the whole of Nigeria that will allow local people some form of power to make their own decisions, much like a federation or confederation. Apart from the oil communities, the rest of Nigeria will just stay waiting for their own slice of the remaining 70% as usual, providing no incentive for them to generate revenue (and jobs) for their people. The reverse should be the case, where FG gives no money to States (outside their remit of providing Federal roads, military, civil service etc), but States should pay tax to FG. That way, States must live or die by their financial actions, much like California is doing now, instead of waiting for their cut. This will promote better accountability as leaders have to answer to their people for the fiscal performance of their state, and perhaps will lead to a changed attitude toward corruption at State and Federal level. Until then, I just see this 25% ending up in the hands of Odili et al, whilst the 5% for the local communities ends up in the hands of the Local Government Chariman, and the rest 70% will end up in the hands of leaders of non-oil producing states. Nothing changes.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 06, 2009
Ibime:

grin grin grin

It should be self-evident. The action does nothing to change the set-up of Government. Its the most FG could do without changing the status-quo. Its simply communities being allocated money from the National pie once again, and going by antecedents, one cannot be too sure how much money will trickle down to the common man.

It is time we start to think about setting up a constitution for the whole of Nigeria that will allow local people some form of power to make their own decisions, much like a federation or confederation. Apart from the oil communities, the rest of Nigeria will just stay waiting for their own slice of the remaining 70% as usual, providing no incentive for them to generate revenue (and jobs) for their people. The reverse should be the case, where FG gives no money to States (outside their remit of providing Federal roads, military, civil service etc), but States should pay tax to FG. That way, States must live or die by their financial actions, much like California is doing now, instead of waiting for their cut. This will promote better accountability as leaders have to answer to their people for the fiscal performance of their state, and perhaps will lead to a changed attitude toward corruption at State and Federal level. Until then, I just see this 25% ending up in the hands of Odili et al, whilst the 5% for the local communities ends up in the hands of the Local Government Chariman, and the rest 70% will end up in the hands of leaders of non-oil producing states. Nothing changes.

I for say. cool
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by agitator: 2:33pm On Aug 06, 2009
Bariga1:

But let it be on record that it was said : “another group of boys will immerge very shortly and they will demand their share of the oil money as MEND is doing to put down arms.

Even if the government pulls out and leave the oil wells that are in the area. I can tell you that the area will still not develop.

Until people start to give their chairmen, senators and governors public flogging and in some cases where it is really bad hang the bastard. Will things change in the Niger Delta.

Citizens in the Niger Delta area will continue to suffer and the suffering will get worse over the years to come. I see Somalia developing within that part of Nigeria.

People need to take their destiny in their hands and ask question. MEND is not fighting for anyone but the money they can get in their pocket and the politicians past and present sponsoring them (we know their names but know need to mention even past governors). Yes there are issues for the government to resolve, but we do not have a government in Nigeria so people need to do things themselves.

How much investment has MEND, the governor, commissioner for investment brought into the states in the area? What do they do with their allocation? PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! SHINE YOUR EYE!!!!

It is easy to go to Abuja and demand Royalties, but what have you own people in government done for you?

First deal with your own people and then we will know that you are serious.

OBJ was the one who knew how to deal with you guys (even though I am not a fan of OBJ).

Government needs to develop the Niger Delta but not with a gun held to it head or having to first pay some hoodlum’s called MEND money.

Please put sentiments aside before replying me there is a problem within and not from the federal government. We agree the federal government has it own blames but the people you guys should be fighting should be MEND because they are having a free lunch off the back of law abiding citizens.

150% Correct

Ibime:

grin grin grin

True son of the soil
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by agitator: 2:36pm On Aug 06, 2009
Even if the community % arrives, PDP people will install their stooges as community heads, as they have been doing and setting confusion, to take the money and share among themselves
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by puskin: 2:47pm On Aug 06, 2009
The Nigerian system, FG, House of Assembly, MEND and their cohorts, ND community leaders and the numerous oil companies in the ND and even the ND community.
WHO is actually deceiving WHOM.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 06, 2009
I dont think so
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by keba(m): 2:58pm On Aug 06, 2009
puskin:

The Nigerian system, FG, House of Assembly, MEND and their cohorts, ND community leaders and the numerous oil companies in the ND and even the ND community.
WHO is actually deceiving WHOM.

FG (PDP) is not deceiving anybody cos WE (populace) all know what will eventually happen and
nothing can be done about it. Our fellow brothers and sisters in the corridors of power will do
nothing to change the situation as they are not done taking their own share of the cake and MEND
is also following in thei path living the communities in the ND to suffer.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Jokparo: 3:02pm On Aug 06, 2009
[color=#550000][/color]I have always maintained that the Federal Government is not the only problem of the Niger Delta, our leaders have betrayed us and that is why we are in this mess. With our massive allocation from the federal coffers, we have no reason to be where we are today, let's sort out ourselves at the home front fast so that we can sort out ourselves publicly, thank God that the PTI issue could be handled the way we handled it otherwise the younger generation wouldnt have forgiven us ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by GeorgeD1(m): 8:15pm On Aug 06, 2009
their eye don dey clear small, small grin
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Nezan(m): 9:39am On Aug 07, 2009
Its all about the money,,,,
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by GeorgeD1(m): 3:58pm On Aug 08, 2009
no sir. it's more than the money. it's about development
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Beaf: 5:10pm On Aug 08, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, if the bill succeeds it will just be another bandage rather than the medicine the contraption called Nigeria needs.
If it passes; it will just be another exercise to remove pesky impediments to the free flow of loot. Another palliative; good for local ND communities as Ibime pointed out, but useless to the nation (if that term applies).

What Nigeria desperately needs is a true and honest definition (national conference); that is the only way the country will survive.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by SapeleGuy: 11:11pm On Aug 08, 2009
Beaf , i get your drift but how many more symposiums, jamborees commissions and conferences do we need on this matter. Why can't they just implement the recommendations that they already have?
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by naijaking1: 11:34pm On Aug 08, 2009
White wash, white wash, and still more white wash.
5%, 10%, 50%, 100%, or whatever it's going to be a cover up.
These people know the way it's done in TX, OK, LA and other places with oil, or valuable minerals.
Let the owner(s) of the land extract their God given resources, and pay applicable taxes.
That's the way it's done all over the World, why can't it be done in Nigeria?
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Beaf: 2:02am On Aug 09, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Beaf , i get your drift but how many more symposiums, jamborees commissions and conferences do we need on this matter. Why can't they just implement the recommendations that they already have?

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Ledum Mitee report, so I won't address that. A more complete version of what I meant is below.

All current recommendations are really built on quicksand, with ND people as an afterthought; something more is required. my earlier post was concerned with the wider Nigeria, not the Niger Delta which wins which ever way things go;.

Unfortunately any law for royalties will be an addition to a patchwork of hastily made laws to bandage leaks in the system. This stark truth about this is thrown up when you consider that Nigeria is in increasing moral and legal entropy; ridiculous laws have been inherited from the colonial master (e.g. "wandering"wink without regard how they affect those at the brunt. Some laws have been made to facilitate exploitation. Other laws have been derived from "studies" of foreign democratic systems whose cultures and morality levels are alien to ours; also whose societies lack our experience with ethnic diversity (Nigeria is the most ethnically diverse nation on Earth http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_eth_gro-people-ethnic-groups). Almost every Nigerian individual and region feels oppressed by the state. Just about everything is broken.
It is in this regard that the suggestion of a fundamental re-examination of the laws and regional bonds has been made. Without this, we find ourselves with the incredible contradiction of a secular state where huge swathes have adopted Sharia law.

Yes, while suggesting a national conference sounds a bit idealistic, it has to be emphasised that it is the only option open to Nigeria if it is to escape the increasingly viscous whirlpool of confusion that is reaping the seams and joints of nationhood asunder; each new recommendation only worsens things because wider consideration is not given to the whole. If there is to be the slightest chance of survival, the fundamentals need to be examined.

Unfortunately, aside from Lagos and Sokoto, there is no economically viable state outside of the Niger Delta; this in itself is an obvious disincentive to a sincere national conference. http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jul/23/219.html

The only winner in all this will be the Niger Delta; they can take these royalties, never disarm MEND and then ask for much more; again and again until the country splits (circa 2011). Then there will be no need to bother about derivation, royalties and other palliatives.
The Niger Delta is the only region that can afford to be patient in the present Nigeria, the rest of the country needs a national conference like a headache needs Panadol.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Beaf: 2:16am On Aug 09, 2009
naijaking1:

White wash, white wash, and still more white wash.
5%, 10%, 50%, 100%, or whatever it's going to be a cover up.
These people know the way it's done in TX, OK, LA and other places with oil, or valuable minerals.
Let the owner(s) of the land extract their God given resources, and pay applicable taxes.
That's the way it's done all over the World, why can't it be done in Nigeria?

Exactly!
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by naijaking1: 3:52am On Aug 09, 2009
http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

Home  News  [size=16pt]Lagos businessmen want resources controlled by states,royalties paid to FG[/size]

Lagos businessmen want resources controlled by states,royalties paid to FG
Friday, 07 August 2009 01:16 SIAKA MOMOH   

For an enduring resolution of the festering Niger Delta crisis, states in the federation should exploit resources in their domain and pay royalties and taxes to the Federal Government.
The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) which offered this advice at its quarterly press conference yesterday, in Lagos, called it the
Fahola,Governor, Lagos State
philosophy of economic democracy which the chamber said “there is urgent need to embrace”
Said Solomon Onafowokan, president of the chamber: “Each state of the federation should be given a sense of ownership on the resources in its domain and the host communities should also have a stake in such resources. There should be agreed royalties and taxes to be paid on such resources to the Federal Government.”

For him, this policy should apply to all forms of resources, not just crude oil. “It should also cover commercial activities from which revenue could be generated”.
Ostensibly to douse possible counter reaction by those who may hold the view that they will be short-changed if the philosophy of economic democracy is adopted because they are not rich in resources, Onafowokan said, “the good thing is that each geo-political zone of the country is blessed with various forms of natural and commercial resources which are currently lying untapped because there are no incentives to make the desired investment.”

Using Lagos State as an example, the LCCI boss said: “Our view is that the revenue realised from the state by way of company tax, port charges, Value Added Tax (VAT), Education Tax, Import Duty, should benefit the state through the principle of derivation. This derivation principle should not be limited to the oil producing areas. It should be extended to cover all forms of resources from which revenues are generated in all parts of the country.”

It would be recalled that at independence, largely autonomous regions possessed the residual powers in the federation and functioned almost independently. Even before the First Republic collapsed, the Federal Government was asserting greater powers. In particular, it controlled the national economy and possessed emergency powers to intervene in any region where law and order had broken down, as it did in the Western Region in 1962. Relative to the powers of the states in 1990, however, the regions were very powerful; they had separate constitutions, foreign missions, and independent revenue bases.

All this changed under military rule. The state governments consisted of the military governor, a cabinet, the civil service, and the state judiciary. In most policy matters and in matters of finance, the state governments had to abide by federal directives and were subject to coordination by the National Council of State.
The local governments had elected management councils comprising a chairman and councilors until June 1989, when these councils were dissolved. They were replaced by sole administrators, state civil servants appointed by the state governors while new local government elections were held in December 1989.

In spite of the increasing powers of local governments, they remained subordinate to the state and federal governments and could be described as administrative agencies of these two higher levels of government. This remains till date.
But the philosophy of economic democracy that LCCI is advocating will change all this. The centre, the federal government, according to Solomon Onafowokan, will now depend on the states for resources as is the case in developed democracies like the U.S.

God bless these businessmen for telling the truth.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by sosisi(f): 4:04am On Aug 09, 2009
Like Hausa and Yorubas will agree to this arrangement
Let's watch and see.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by naijaking1: 4:19am On Aug 09, 2009
$osisi:

Like Hausa and Yorubas will agree to this arrangement
Let's watch and see.
That's the ultimate solution whenever they want a stable country.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Beaf: 4:39am On Aug 09, 2009
I hope the suggestion from Lagos is taken up by the Lagos state govt. They have everything to gain. I doubt Sokoto will suggest anything remotely similar (a large percentage of ND looters are from there).
I also hope that it is taken up by the FG and aside from the FG tax, every state has to either pay a levy to the ND or give a portion of their mineral or other resources to the ND; an easy formula can be worked out for that.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by Beaf: 1:04pm On Aug 09, 2009
@naijaking1
I think you should post the lagos businessmen thing as a new thread. It would create a good discussion.
Re: Oil Royalties: Fg Bows To South South Govs by fayahsoul: 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2009
These business people are calling "true federalism" an economic democracy? That's wrong. So called "true federalism" or a confederation is the most suitable ad hoc political structure for the nigerian situation. . .this has nothing to do with economic democracy.

Capitalism and economic democracy are not compatible. Can't use both in the same breath. In an economic democracy no one can monopolize or own the modes of production. . .the community does. And quite frankly "no political equality(democracy) without economic equality"

So these capitalist elite business men whose words are so 'relevant' to society as to draw media attention are just trying to pull a fast one the people by affiliating capitalism with false attributes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bayelsa Deputy Governor Ebebi Impeached / Good Governance Tour Town Hall Meeting Live In Benue(Pictures & Report) / HUNGER: Otuoke Residents Scramble For Bags Of Rice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.