Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? (2251 Views)

Error Found On Nigerian Naira / 13 States To Produce Rice For Consumption+ Devaluation has failed – Buhari / CBN Denies Naira Devaluation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by 989900: 7:56pm On Apr 22, 2016
Mindfulness:

I think you are confusing depreciation and devaluation.

Depreciation
the currency is determined by the demand and supply and the central bank (or the president) doesn't intervene in it.

Devaluation
central bank decides what should be the value of its currency compared to other countries. The Central bank intervenes by buying or selling government securities to keep its exchange rates (relatively) fixed.

Pedantic.
Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 22, 2016
989900:

Pedantic.

Whether a currency is artificially determined by the government / the central bank or not is pedantic? grin
Small difference, right? grin grin grin

And you want to discuss macroeconomics and monetary policies. SMH.
Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by 989900: 8:08pm On Apr 22, 2016
Mindfulness:

Whether a currency is artificially determined by the government / the central bank or not is pedantic? grin
Small difference, right? grin grin grin

And you want to discuss macroeconomics and monetary policies. SMH.

In the scope of this discussion, it is.

Our exchange rate has always been more or less determined by the CBN.
Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Apr 22, 2016
989900:

[i]In the scope of this discussion, it is.

We are talking about monetary politics and policies and you want to ignore the HUGE difference between depreciation and devaluation and you call the HUGE difference pedantic? Nonsense!

Our exchange rate has always been more or less determined by the CBN.

So?
Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by 989900: 8:25pm On Apr 22, 2016
Mindfulness:

We are talking about monetary politics and policies and you want to ignore the HUGE difference between depreciation and devaluation and you call the HUGE difference pedantic? Nonsense!

So?

So, it's as dumb as saying the sky is blue, but well 'greyish' at times when it is kinda cloudy. #obvious

Now, count back 1,2,3 to 10 (your last comments), all you've done so far is perambulating without saying anything of substance (practical) in relation to the subject matter.

More like 'air'.

My questions to you are:

Why do we need to devalue the Naira?

And to what value?

What factors are responsible for the 'falling Naira'?

Answer those without heading off on a tangent, and I'll take you serious.
Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 22, 2016
989900:

So, it's as dumb as saying the sky is blue, but well 'greyish' at times when it is kinda cloudy. #obvious

So the difference between depreciation and devaluation is as slight as the difference between the words "greyish" and "cloudy"?

You are hopeless.

Now, count back 1,2,3 to 10 (your last comments), all you've done so far is perambulating without saying anything of substance (practical) in relation to the subject matter.

1,2, 3 means in your logic counting back? grin

More like 'air'.

My questions to you are:

Why do we need to devalue the Naira?

And to what value?

What factors are responsible for the 'falling Naira'?

Answer those without heading in a tangent, and I'll take you serious.

Why explain anything to anyone with an IQ below average? I mean it!
Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by 989900: 8:42pm On Apr 22, 2016
Mindfulness:

So the difference between depreciation and devaluation is as slight as the difference between the words "greyish" and "cloudy"?

You are hopeless.

1,2, 3 means in your logic counting back? grin

Why explain anything to anyone with an IQ below average? I mean it!

I guessed as much: you're nothing but 'air' -- an empty cranium.

I suspected this from the 'get-go', just wanted to be sure . . . glad you didn't disappoint.

It's a shame though, 'cause I would have loved a more robust/intelligent exchange.

I guess you can't give what you don't have.

Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Apr 22, 2016
989900:

I guessed as much --- you're nothing but 'air' -- an empty cranium.

I suspected this from the 'get-go', just wanted to be sure . . . glad you didn't disappoint.

It's a shame though, '[size=18pt]cause I would have loved a more robust/intelligent exchange. [/size]

I guess you can't give what you don't have.

I would have loved it too IF you were able / willing to learn and understand instead of arguing blindly instead of arguing like a plumber who thinks that he can explain to a doctor how surgeries on a open heart are performed.

Do your homework and get thorough understanding of the difference between devaluation and depreciation and then come back showing more respect to someone who has profoundly researched and OBJECTIVELY analyzed the issue, THEN we can talk.

Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by 989900: 9:08pm On Apr 22, 2016
Mindfulness:

[s]I would have loved it too IF you were able / willing to learn and understand instead of arguing blindly instead of arguing like a plumber who thinks that he can explain to a doctor how surgeries on a open heart are performed.

Do your homework and get thorough understanding of the difference between devaluation and depreciation and then come back showing more respect to someone who has profoundly researched and OBJECTIVELY analyzed the issue, THEN we can talk.

Thank you.[/s]
Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by gists: 9:24pm On Apr 22, 2016
989900:

The Naira was N0.65 to $1 in 1985.

It was N155 to $1 in 2014.

199 to $1 in 2016.

That's some lot of devaluation over time, how come it has not fostered your proposed benefits?

If 'devaluation is not the answer to the all problems', why are you pushing for taking paracetamol as a curative for cancer -- treating symptoms in lieu of 'causes'?
Spot on!
gists:
The truth is most of them just want PMB to devalue the naira so they can turn around and blame him for ruining the currency.
I am yet to see any of them telling us what we stand to gain by devaluing the naira with this our present scenario. They just want to say GEJ left the dollar for PMB at N199 and now PMB has killed it at NXXX. As if that will bring GEJ back tongue
Re: Nigerian Naira Devaluation: What Is All The FUSS About? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 22, 2016
gists:

The truth is most of them just want PMB to devalue the naira so they can turn around and blame him for ruining the currency.
I am yet to see any of them telling us what we stand to gain by devaluing the naira with this our present scenario. They just want to say GEJ left the dollar for PMB at N199 and now PMB has killed it at NXXX. As if that will bring GEJ back tongue
Very true
Another politico-economic possibility grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Can't Buhari Forgive Tompolo To Avoid This Economy Crisis? / Atiku At Unveiling Of "We Are All Biafrans" In Abuja / 5 Things Nnamdi Kanu's 'I Love Biafra' Wristband Tells Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.