Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 (7956 Views)

DSS Bars Journalists From Entering Courtroom As Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial Commences / Federal High Court Affirms Ikpeazu As Governor / CCT: Saraki's Objection Thrown Out, Trial Commences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by LocalChamp: 7:23pm On Apr 22, 2016
BY ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIMES COMMISSION APR 22, 2016
Justice A. A. Akintoye of the Lagos State High Court sitting in Igbosere on Friday, dismissed an application filed before the court by Rickey Tarfa, SAN, challenging the jurisdiction of the court and seeking an order to quash the 27-count charge bordering on alleged willful obstruction of authorized officers of EFCC, refusing to declare assets, making false information and offering gratification to a public official brought against him by the anti-graft agency.

The judge ruled that the court had jurisdiction to entertain the charges and turned down Tarfa's prayers for the quashing of the charges. "This Court has a jurisdiction to entertain the charges on this matter. The prayer of the applicant asking for an order on jurisdiction to entertain charges on this matter is hereby dismissed. The prayer of the applicant asking for an order to quash charges laid before the court is hereby dismissed. The prayer of the applicant asking the court to restrain EFCC operatives, staffs, agents, or any person whatsoever to investigate and prosecute the defendant is hereby refused. The applicant's motion on notice on 10th March, 2016 is hereby dismissed accordingly", he said.

One hundred and thirty six (136) lawyers including 40 Senior Advocates of Nigeria, SAN appeared for the defendant.

Justice Akintoye subsequently adjourned the matter till 20 and 27 May, 2016 for commencement of trial and further hearing.

Tarfa was arraigned on 9 March, 2016 by the EFCC on a 27-count charge bordering on alleged willful obstruction of authorized officers of EFCC, refusing to declare asset, making false information and offering gratification to a public official.

Wilson Uwujaren
Head, Media & Publicity
22nd April, 2016

http://saharareporters.com/2016/04/22/court-affirms-jurisdiction-try-rickey-tarfa-trial-commences-may-20

2 Likes

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by Remii(m): 7:27pm On Apr 22, 2016
Na wa , tarfa is with 130 lawyers saraki is with 80 lawyers. Ok o

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by dafuturis(m): 7:49pm On Apr 22, 2016
I don't see why an innocent man will inject so much resources and energy to stop his trial when far less energy is required for the trial itself.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 22, 2016
May 10 is few days away. EFCC pls do the needful, there is so much to be achieved

9 Likes

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by OlujobaSamuel: 9:02pm On Apr 22, 2016
may 20 is too far joor.
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by Raddie(m): 9:59pm On Apr 22, 2016
dafuturis:
I don't see why an innocent man will inject so much resources and energy to stop his trial when far less energy is required for the trial itself.
Lol! Do I need to remind you we are in Nigeria on a continent called africa?

2 Likes

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by SamuelAnyawu(m): 9:37am On Apr 23, 2016
hmmmmm
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by HoLEEsinner: 9:47am On Apr 23, 2016
Trial here injunction over there....Naija I hail ooo.

1 Like

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by Felixsparks: 9:47am On Apr 23, 2016
HoLEEsinner:
Trial here injunction over there....Naija I hail ooo.
lol
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by coolneger(m): 9:50am On Apr 23, 2016
Despite him 40 SAN and 130 lawyers,him still loose and court say he get case to answer. No b by nos of SAN or lawyers. Let's see how this case will pan out. May 20 is just few weeks away. Kudous 2d judge for not granting his yeye application.

11 Likes

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by redcliff: 9:54am On Apr 23, 2016
omo this PMB season na season of lawyers and court making so much money oooo

7 Likes

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by enygmababe: 9:54am On Apr 23, 2016
The fact that a SAN is being tried is not enough reason for all the lawyers in the court room to represent him jor. To me that feels like acting like sheep. If you are not guilty face the trial and move on without making a ruckus

6 Likes

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by faaz24: 9:56am On Apr 23, 2016
dafuturis:
The law is an ass...running from pillar to post to stop a trial.
The common thief is in real trouble here because he can't afford a lawyer. If he is lucky he is sent to jail, the unlucky ones get jungle justice. One day these people that are stealing our nations wealth will have no place to hide, Mob attention will look in their direction and may be then there will be sanity in the system

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 23, 2016
L
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by 989900: 10:03am On Apr 23, 2016
I've seen innocent people defend themselves without a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by mostyg(m): 10:05am On Apr 23, 2016
He will soon ask for postponement of trial
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by dafuturis(m): 10:14am On Apr 23, 2016
faaz24:

The law is an ass...running from pillar to post to stop a trial.
The common thief is in real trouble here because he can't afford a lawyer. If he is lucky he is sent to jail, the unlucky ones get jungle justice. One day these people that are stealing our nations wealth will have no place to hide, Mob attention will look in their direction and may be then there will be sanity in the system

yeah! One day, just one day Akara will refuse to be fried.

3 Likes

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by Sabimamalele: 10:14am On Apr 23, 2016
Na wa ooo
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by dafuturis(m): 10:15am On Apr 23, 2016
Raddie:

Lol! Do I need to remind you we are in Nigeria on a continent called africa?

some countries in same Africa are moving on, Nigeria is moving off.
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by freeze001(f): 10:20am On Apr 23, 2016
Fair hearing and justice! That is all that is needed!

1 Like

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by donlarbito(m): 10:41am On Apr 23, 2016
I see n reason of 40 SAN and 130 lawyers if he's innocent
Abeg let the trial begin
Watching on my 3D led glasses

3 Likes

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by aieromon(m): 10:59am On Apr 23, 2016
He brought his whole community to the court room to intimidate the judge.

All these SANs sef grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by babdap: 11:04am On Apr 23, 2016
I don't why some lawyers will engage in unethical practice just to win at all cost. Kalajaiye Oyinlola's lawyer might never practice again if found guilty by supreme court when Aregbesola n Oyinlola are best of friends.
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by josite: 11:33am On Apr 23, 2016
This one makes me laugh because many Nigerians will soon be in hot soup for this very common infraction among Nigerians.
"The EFCC alleged that Tarfa gave his age as 43 when he was indeed 54, an act the EFCC claimed to be an offence under section 38(2) (a) of the EFCC (Establishment) Act, 2004.'
How come these conclusions were not concluded before the Judge did?.
-'there are alleged crimes and the applicant has allegedly committed those crimes by the proof of evidence filed before the court. I hold therefore that the information filed before this court disclosed a prima facie case which must be addressed,”
-"The commission is therefore duty-bound to perform its statutory duty without interference from external body, including but not limited to the court.This court will, therefore, not restrain the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission from performing any of its statutory duties in respect of anyone including the applicant in this case. I hold that this court has the jurisdiction to entertain the information/charges dated 10th of March 2016.”
I advise "fight your battles with strategies,weigh all the possible scenarios & avoid the scenarios that concludes hurtfully"
◄ Matthew 5:25 ►
"Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison.
http://www.punchng.com/court-dismisses-rickey-tarfas-appli

1 Like

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by Kingkamal(m): 11:47am On Apr 23, 2016
Who is that guy seeking to be popular? Still his thread dey front page no one is reading rikky tafa or ricky ross
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by adimoh99(m): 11:58am On Apr 23, 2016
Plenty trials without sentence.... I Don tire abeg next story.
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by Emilord(m): 12:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
They have demystified this SANSHIP of a thing. It is no longer as it used to be, evidently one of the features of a failed state like Nigeria. 40 Sans following an accused person to court just like puppets...I no longer have wholesome respect them. I have seen some of them misbehaving in court because they are paid some big briefs. If there is still any modicum of sanctity in this profession, its only in the bench and that's where I still admire and want to reach someday.

1 Like

Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by Mopolchi: 1:27pm On Apr 23, 2016
Ricky is as good as free
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by sellYourCar: 2:56pm On Apr 23, 2016
sad lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by AbrahamLincoln(m): 3:59pm On Apr 23, 2016
enygmababe:
The fact that a SAN is being tried is not enough reason for all the lawyers in the court room to represent him jor. To me that feels like acting like sheep. If you are not guilty face the trial and move on without making a ruckus

You're right viewing from your class but when you finally get to play in the major leagues, you'll realize "Everybody is guilty of different charges and everybody has skeletons in their closets".

When we talk about corruption, everybody you see there is corrupt just that some is higher.
Re: Court Affirms Jurisdiction To Try Rickey Tarfa, Trial Commences May 20 by danot1030: 7:43pm On Apr 23, 2016
Another corrupt public servant to go down.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023: Kalu Urges INEC To Conduct All Polls In One Day / 10 More Kaduna Baptist School Students Freed — After 11 Weeks In Captivity / APC Campaign: We Have Not Decided On Specific Date For Flagoff - Keyamo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.