Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,425 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

The Righteousness Of God By FAITH - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Righteousness Of God By FAITH (920 Views)

Holineness And Righteousness Revival Messages And Bible Verses / 12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today / Righteousness Is Not Right Doing But Right Being - Joseph Prince (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise101: 7:20am On Apr 23, 2016
PLEASE, THIS IS LONG, BUT READ ALL AS YOU NEED A PROPER EXPLANTION OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Therefore IT WAS also CREDITED TO HIM AS
RIGHTEOUSNESS. 23 Now not for his sake only was it written that it was credited to him, 24 but for our sake also, to whom it will be credited, as those who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead, 25 He who was delivered over because of our
transgressions, and was raised because of our justification.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise101: 5:48am On Oct 22, 2016
What Does "Credited" Mean?

One more question before we leave chapter four of this great letter to the Romans. It comes from verse 22: "Therefore, it [faith] was credited to him [Abraham] as righteousness." So it says that faith is counted as righteousness. We saw this in verse 3: "Abraham believed God and it [his believing] was credited to him as righteousness." And we saw it in verse 5b, "His [the one who believes in him who justifies the ungodly] faith is credited as righteousness." We saw it in verse 9b: "Faith was credited to Abraham as righteousness."

Now what does this mean? Does it mean that faith itself is the kind of righteousness we perform and God counts that as good enough to be our righteousness - or our part of the righteousness - in justification? Does he mean that justification, let's say, costs five million dollars and I can come up with one million dollars (namely, faith), so God mercifully says he will count my one million as five million and cancel the rest? That would make my faith the righteousness imputed to me - or a significant part of it. So justification would be God's
recognizing in me a righteousness that he put there and that he acknowledges and counts for what it really is. Is that what Paul means when he says, "faith is credited as righteousness"? Or is justification something very different - not God's seeing any righteousness in me, but his crediting to me his own righteousness in Christ through faith? And if so, what does it mean to say that faith is credited as righteousness?
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise101: 5:49am On Oct 22, 2016
And Why Does It Matter?

Before I answer, let me tell you why I am giving
an entire sermon to this question before we launch into chapter five, Lord willing, next week. First, it's because the phrase is so liable to misunderstanding: "Faith is credited as
righteousness" sounds like faith is recognized to
be righteousness. But I am persuaded that is not
what it means.

Second, because Paul spends so much time on this phrase from Genesis 15:6 -a whole chapter.
As if, to get this wrong would be to go wrong on
something very important. And that is true. Is your legal standing with God as righteous based on what he is or what you are? You may not see why this is very big, but it is big. On this hangs the fullness of the glory of God's grace in your justification, and on this hangs the fullness of the enjoyment of your peace in justification. And not only yours but all those you should bless with the gospel. So God's glory and your peace are at stake in this question.

"Imputation" - an Important Word to Understand
Third, because Ephesians 4:14 says the goal of my preaching ministry should be that you "are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine." I want you to be strong and stable and mature. In particular, I want you to know the doctrine of the imputation of God's righteousness in Christ. I know "imputation" is a big and unusual word. But this is the word that has been used for hundreds of years to describe the truth that God "imputes" his righteousness to us through faith because of Christ's obedience.

Why should you be denied what tens of thousands of strong Christians have been strengthened by for centuries - the "imputation" of God's righteousness in Christ? It's a glorious truth that will change your life if you see it and savor it for what it is.

"Imputation" is different from "impartation." God
does "impart" to us gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit, so that we have them and they are in us
growing and they are ours. But all of that gracious impartation through the Spirit is built on an even more firm foundation, namely, imputation - the work of God outside of us: God's own righteousness, not imparted to us, but imputed to us. Credited to us, as Romans 4:6 and 11 say. Put to our account. Reckoned to be ours. I ask myself as a pastor, Why should the people of Bethlehem be denied the knowledge of this great doctrine that has sustained saints for centuries? Why should we cave in to the modern pragmatism that says doctrine is impractical? And I answer: we shouldn't.
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise101: 5:50am On Oct 22, 2016
Fourth, the experience of God's people through
the centuries has shown what a treasure this truth is in bringing people from the darkness of unbelief to the light of hope and joy in Christ. One example is John Bunyan, the writer of Pilgrim's Progress, who struggled terribly before he came to a settled faith in Christ. Here's what he wrote: One day as I was passing into the field . . . this sentence fell upon my soul. Thy righteousness is in heaven. And me thought, withal, I saw with the eyes of my soul Jesus Christ at God's right hand; there, I say, was my righteousness; so that wherever I was, or whatever I was doing, God could not say of me, he wants [lacks] my righteousness, for that was just before [in front of] him. I also saw, moreover, that it was not my good frame of heart that made my righteousness better, nor yet my bad frame that made my righteousness worse, for my righteousness was Jesus Christ himself, "The same yesterday, today and, and forever" ( Hebrews 13:cool.
Now did my chains fall off my legs indeed. I was
loosed from my afflictions and irons; my temptations also fled away; so that from that time those dreadful scriptures of God left off to trouble me; now went I also home rejoicing for the grace and love of God. (John Bunyan, Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners, [Hertfordshire: Evangelical Press, 1978, orig. 1666], pp. 90-91)

Perhaps the most pointed way I could put it would be this: I linger over this issue of the imputed righteousness of God in Christ because when I stand by your bed in the hour of your death, I want to be able to look down into your face and remind you of the most comforting words in all the world, and have you rejoice with solid Biblical understanding in what I mean when I say: "Remember, Christ is your righteousness. Christ is your righteousness. Your righteousness is in heaven. It's the same yesterday today and forever. It doesn't get better when your faith is strong. It doesn't get worse when your faith is weak. It is perfect. It is Christ. Look away from yourself. Rest in him. Lean on him."

And not only do I want you to cherish this for the
sake of your death, but also for the sake of your
evangelism and for the sake of missions. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation, Paul says in Romans 1:16-17, because in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith. I believe this refers to the gift of God's imputed righteousness that we receive by faith. Paul says that the gospel has power because this is what it reveals. This is what I want the Maninka people of Guinea to hear and understand and believe. And the Uzbeks and the Kazaks and the Sukumu and the Somali and your children and your parents and neighbors and
colleagues.
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise101: 5:51am On Oct 22, 2016
Does Paul Mean "Our Faith Is Our Righteousness?
So here is my answer to the question. No, when
Paul says "Faith is credited to us as righteousness," he does not mean that our faith is our righteousness, or any part of our justifying
righteousness. He means that faith is what unites us with Christ and all that God is for us in him. When God sees faith in Christ, he sees union with Christ. And when he sees union with Christ, he sees the righteousness of Christ as our righteousness. So faith connects us with Christ who is our righteousness and, in that sense, faith is counted as righteousness. Faith sees and savors all that God is for us in Christ, especially his righteousness. That's what faith does.
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise101: 5:53am On Oct 22, 2016
Now what is the Biblical basis of that
interpretation?

John Owen, in volume five of his Works (pp. 318-319) gives five arguments, and John Murray in his commentary on Romans gives nine arguments (pp. 353-359) why "faith credited as righteousness" does not mean that faith is our righteousness. I will give a few of these.

First, notice that at the end of verse 6 and at the
end of verse 11 in Romans 4 you have a very different way of expressing "imputation" or
crediting. At the end of verse 6 it says, "God credits righteousness apart from works." And at the end of verse 11 it says, ". . . that righteousness might be credited to them."

Notice: in both of these, faith is not the thing credited as righteousness, but righteousness is the thing credited to us. "God credits righteousness," not "God credits faith as righteousness." What this does is alert us to the good possibility that when Paul says, "Faith is credited as righteousness," he may well mean, "God credits righteousness to us through faith."
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise101: 5:54am On Oct 22, 2016
Second, look at Romans 3:21-22, "But now apart
from the Law the righteousness of God has been
manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the
Prophets, even the righteousness of God through
faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe."
Notice that it is God's righteousness that comes
to us through faith. Faith is what unites us to God's righteousness. Faith is not God's righteousness.

Third, 2 Corinthians 5:21, "He [God] made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." Here we have a double imputation. God imputed our sins to Christ who knew no sin. And God imputed his righteousness to us who had no
righteousness of our own. The key phrases for us
are "the righteousness of God" and "in Him." It's
not our righteousness that we get here. It is God's righteousness. And we get it not because our faith is righteous, but because we are "in Christ." Faith unites us to Christ. And in Christ we have an alien righteousness. It is God's righteousness in Christ. Or you can say it is Christ's righteousness. He takes our sin. We take his righteousness.

Fourth, consider 1 Corinthians 1:30. John Bunyan
said that, after that experience in the field where
the imputed righteousness of Christ hit him so
powerfully, he went home and looked for Biblical
support. He hit upon 1 Corinthians 1:30. "But by
His [God's] doing you are in Christ Jesus, who
became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption." "By this scripture," Bunyan said, "I saw that the man Christ Jesus . . . is our righteousness and sanctification before God. Here therefore I lived for some time very sweetly at peace with God, through Christ" (Grace Abounding, p. 91).
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise101: 5:55am On Oct 22, 2016
Christ Is Our Righteousness

This text says that Christ became to us (or for us) "righteousness." And the reason Christ is our
"righteousness" in this way is that we are "in Christ Jesus." "You are in Christ Jesus who became to us . . . righteousness." Christ is our righteousness, not faith. Faith unites us to Christ and all that God is for us in him. But what he is for us in him is righteousness.

So then what is the point of all this? The point is
this: When Paul says in Romans 4:22 (and verses
3, 5, and 9) that "faith is credited as righteousness," he does not mean that our faith
is our righteousness. He means that our faith
unites us to Christ so that God's righteousness in
Christ is credited to us.

Here's a very imperfect analogy. But I will risk it in the hope of greater understanding. Suppose I say to Barnabas, my sixteen-year-old son, "Clean up your room before you go to school. You must have a clean room, or you won't be able to go watch the game tonight." Well, suppose he plans poorly and leaves for school without cleaning the room. And suppose I discover the messy room and clean it. His afternoon fills up and he gets home just before it's time to leave for the game and realizes what he has done and feels terrible. He apologizes and humbly accepts the consequences.

To which I say, "Barnabas, I am going to credit your apology and submission as a clean room. I said, 'You must have a clean room, or you won't be able to go watch the game tonight. Your room is clean. So you can go to the game." What I mean when I say, "I credit your apology as a clean room," is not that the apology is the clean room. Nor that he really cleaned his room. I cleaned it. It was pure grace. All I mean is that, in my way of reckoning - in my grace - his apology connects him with the promise given for a clean room. The clean room is his clean room. I credit it to him. Or, I credit his apology as a clean room.

You can say it either way. And Paul said it both
ways: "Faith is credited as righteousness," and
"God credits righteousness to us through faith."
So when God says, this morning, to those who
believe in Christ, "I credit your faith as
righteousness," he does not mean that your faith
is righteousness. He means that your faith
connects you to God's righteousness.
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise101: 5:57am On Oct 22, 2016
Peace, Security, Freedom
Now what difference should this make in your life? For Martin Luther and John Bunyan the discovery of the imputed righteousness of Christ was the greatest life-changing experience they ever had. Luther said it was like entering a paradise of peace with God. For Bunyan it was the end of years of spiritual torture and uncertainty. What would you give to know for sure that your legal acceptance and approval before God was as sure as the standing of Jesus Christ, his Son?

It's free. This is what Christ came to do: fulfill a righteousness and die a death that would remove all your sins and become for you a perfect righteousness. He offers you this today as a gift. If you see him as true and precious, if you take the gift and trust in it, you will have a peace with God that passes all understanding. You will be a secure person. You will not need the approval of others. You will not need the ego- supports of wealth or power or revenge. You will be free. You will overflow with love. You will lay down your life in the cause of Christ for the joy that is set before you. Look to Christ and trust him for your righteousness.

JESUS IS THE WAY, NOT RIGHT LIVING!

cc: KingEbukasBlog, Richirich713, thoniameek, anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, OLAADEGBU, KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107, bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, Tellemall, vooks, Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2, Strawman, dazzle101, lalasticlala, Dejideji1, Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet, Edelweiss44, naijadeyhia, honourhim, kilo4sure, lordnicklaus, mabea, AlphaDex, felixomor, pidggin, 4everGod1, Adrenaline123, Kaycee7, frank317, Edek27, Jokerman, Contact17, naijababe, Ranchhoddas, Omooba77

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 22, 2016
You know I have issues with aspects of the "extreme grace" version of the gospel.

This is my final word;

LIVE RIGHT, LIVE TRUTH, LIVE GODLINESS/GOODLINESS

That veeeeery Important.

1 Like

Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by shadeyinka(m): 4:36pm On Oct 22, 2016
Muafrika2:
You know I have issues with aspects of the "extreme grace" version of the gospel.

This is my final word;

That veeeeery Important.

I agree with you in the sense that grace DOES NOT give us license to misbehave as children of God.

Living Right is an evidence that we have the Holy Spirit who lives through us because we have received His Grace.

A so called Christian perpetually living in unrighteousness may never have been Born Again.

If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature...but if there be a "christian" who is not a new creature, then, he may have assumed that he is Born Again. Jesus doesn't know him!

1 Like

Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by Scholar8200(m): 4:46pm On Oct 22, 2016
shadeyinka:

I agree with you in the sense that grace DOES NOT give us license to misbehave as children of God.

Living Right is an evidence that we have the Holy Spirit who lives through us because we have received His Grace.

A so called Christian perpetually living in unrighteousness may never have been Born Again.

If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature...but if there be a "christian" who is not a new creature, then, he may have assumed that he is Born Again. Jesus doesn't know him!
Thank God for this input! We are saved by grace through faith. Having being saved, we dont remain slaves to sin (making empty affirmations but denying the power thereof). There is a transformation of life made possible by the working of He that worketh in us mightily!
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by shadeyinka(m): 5:35pm On Oct 22, 2016
Scholar8200:
Thank God for this input! We are saved by grace through faith. Having being saved, we dont remain slaves to sin (making empty affirmations but denying the power thereof). There is a transformation of life made possible by the working of He that worketh in us mightily!

Perfectly said!
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 22, 2016
shadeyinka:

True!
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by Tellemall: 8:06pm On Oct 22, 2016
promise101:
Peace, Security, Freedom

Now what difference should this make in your
life?
For Martin Luther and John Bunyan the discovery
of the imputed righteousness of Christ was the
greatest life-changing experience they ever had.
Luther said it was like entering a paradise of
peace with God. For Bunyan it was the end of
years of spiritual torture and uncertainty. What
would you give to know for sure that your legal
acceptance and approval before God was as sure
as the standing of Jesus Christ, his Son?

It's free. This is what Christ came to do: fulfill a
righteousness and die a death that would
remove all your sins and become for you a
perfect righteousness. He offers you this today
as a gift. If you see him as true and precious, if
you take the gift and trust in it, you will have a
peace with God that passes all understanding.
You will be a secure person. You will not need the
approval of others. You will not need the ego-
supports of wealth or power or revenge. You will
be free. You will overflow with love. You will lay
down your life in the cause of Christ for the joy
that is set before you. Look to Christ and trust
him for your righteousness.

cc: KingEbukasBlog, Richirich713, thoniameek,
anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, OLAADEGBU,
KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107,
bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, Tellemall, vooks,
Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2,
Strawman, dazzle101, lalasticlala, Dejideji1,
Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet,
Edelweiss44, naijadeyhia, honourhim, kilo4sure,
lordnicklaus, mabea, AlphaDex, felixomor, pidggin,
4everGod1, Adrenaline123, Kaycee7, frank317,
Edek27, Jokerman, Contact17, naijababe,
Ranchhoddas, Omooba77

All the names you are quoting, why don't you mind your business and stop quoting them?

Do you know them all? No.

Do they all know you? No.

So why are you calling them? Stop it.

This section and name quoting has become ridiculous. Behave yourself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise10: 5:26am On Oct 23, 2016
Muafrika2:

This is my final word;

That veeeeery Important.
I see this as an avenue to discuss, and not fighting each other. As it makes us learn more.

Extreme grace? How do you mean by extreme grace? Is the grace of God not 100% or is it 20% or 30% or 80%?

Yea, right living is good, nobody denies that! Even in titus 3:8 the bible tells us:
Vs 8; "This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly that they which believe in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are GOOD and profitable to men.

Taking this into consideration, we should as well bear in mind what it says in vs 5 and 6; " Not by the works of righteousness which we have done , but according to his mercy he saved us, by washing of the regeneration, and renewing of the holy ghost; vs 6, Which he shed on us abundantly through jesus christ our lord."

What my op is pointing to, is not that we shouldn't live rightly, but that it doesn't give salvation and righteousness. The bible encourages us to live rightly, but tells us that it does not make us right with God. But that what makes us right with God is the washing of the regeneration, and renewing of the holy ghost; which he shed on us abundantly through jesus christ our lord. And this doesn't happen, because we pray, rather it happened the very day Jesus died.

Please, I would like to know your stand on this matter of righteousness and salvation.

How important is right living in our christian life?

I believe it is VERY IMPORTANT, but I just want to know your stand on salvation, right living, righteousness and holiness.
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise10: 5:27am On Oct 23, 2016
promise101:
Peace, Security, Freedom
Now what difference should this make in your life? For Martin Luther and John Bunyan the discovery of the imputed righteousness of Christ was the greatest life-changing experience they ever had. Luther said it was like entering a paradise of peace with God. For Bunyan it was the end of years of spiritual torture and uncertainty. What would you give to know for sure that your legal acceptance and approval before God was as sure as the standing of Jesus Christ, his Son?

It's free. This is what Christ came to do: fulfill a righteousness and die a death that would remove all your sins and become for you a perfect righteousness. He offers you this today as a gift. If you see him as true and precious, if you take the gift and trust in it, you will have a peace with God that passes all understanding. You will be a secure person. You will not need the approval of others. You will not need the ego- supports of wealth or power or revenge. You will be free. You will overflow with love. You will lay down your life in the cause of Christ for the joy that is set before you. Look to Christ and trust him for your righteousness.

cc: KingEbukasBlog, Richirich713, thoniameek, anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, OLAADEGBU, KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107, bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, vooks, Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2, Strawman, dazzle101, lalasticlala, Dejideji1, Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet, Edelweiss44, naijadeyhia, honourhim, kilo4sure, lordnicklaus, mabea, AlphaDex, felixomor, pidggin, 4everGod1, Adrenaline123, Kaycee7, frank317, Edek27, Jokerman, Contact17, naijababe, Omooba77
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise10: 5:41am On Oct 23, 2016
shadeyinka:

Correct!

When I preach the grace of God, it is not a license to sin. But, a license to have the imputation of God's righteousness, even without the works of the law.

Rom 3:28;"Therefore, we conclude that a man is justified by FAITH, even WITHOUT the deed of the law.

People need to understand that, getting something by grace is different from earning it by our good works. Grace is a free gift, if a free gift, would demand works to be received then it is no more a free gift. That's what paul what saying in rom 11:6.

Rom 11:6; and if by grace, then is it NO MORE of works: otherwise grace is NO MORE GRACE. But if it be of works, then is it NO MORE grace: otherwise work is NO MORE work.

So, paul was simply making us to know that IT IS NOT 50% grace + 50% works(our righteous), but 100% grace OR 100% PERFECT work. And that if grace, being a 100% free gift should demand works, then it is NO MORE a free gift.
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise10: 5:42am On Oct 23, 2016
promise101:
Peace, Security, Freedom

cc: KingEbukasBlog, Richirich713, thoniameek, anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, OLAADEGBU, KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107, bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, vooks, Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2, Strawman, dazzle101, lalasticlala, Dejideji1, Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet, Edelweiss44, naijadeyhia, honourhim, kilo4sure, lordnicklaus, mabea, AlphaDex, felixomor, pidggin, 4everGod1, Adrenaline123, Kaycee7, frank317, Edek27, Jokerman, Contact17, naijababe, Ranchhoddas, Omooba77
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise10: 5:58am On Oct 23, 2016
Scholar8200:
Well said.

One question for you.

What does it mean to be a slave to sin?
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by promise10: 6:02am On Oct 23, 2016
Tellemall:

All the names you are quoting, why don't you mind your business and stop quoting them?

Oh, I am sorry.

But, you would have just asked me to remove your name, instead of going this harsh. Anyway, check and see if your name is still there.
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by shadeyinka(m): 6:11am On Oct 23, 2016
promise10:

Correct!

When I preach the grace of God, it is not a license to sin. But, a license to have the imputation of God's righteousness, even without the works of the law.

Rom 3:28;"Therefore, we conclude that a man is justified by FAITH, even WITHOUT the deed of the law.

People need to understand that, getting something by grace is different from earning it by our good works. Grace is a free gift, if a free gift, would demand works to be received then it is no more a free gift. That's what paul what saying in rom 11:6.

Rom 11:6; and if by grace, then is it NO MORE of works: otherwise grace is NO MORE GRACE. But if it be of works, then is it NO MORE grace: otherwise work is NO MORE work.

So, paul was simply making us to know that IT IS NOT 50% grace + 50% works(our righteous), but 100% grace OR 100% PERFECT work. And that if grace, being a 100% free gift should demand works, then it is NO MORE a free gift.

Hi Friend,
You couldn't have said it better! We should start working for God after our salvation but not trying to earn our salvation by augmenting the finished work of Christ by works.
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by Tellemall: 10:45am On Oct 23, 2016
promise10:

Oh, I am sorry.

But, you would have just asked me to remove your name, instead of going this harsh. Anyway, check and see if your name is still there.
Sorry.

But why should I have to ask you to remove it, when I never asked you to put it there in the first place?

It's best you simply don't do so.

You do not care to understand the consequences of your actions. If you apply a little thought to it, you will realize that each time you draw up a list of names from heaven knows where, when someone(anybody) quotes you, it automatically mentions that person.
A person who does not wish to be mentioned. A person who does not want to be a part of whatever thread you've created.

So why do you keep doing it?

1 Like

Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by Tellemall: 11:00am On Oct 23, 2016
shadeyinka:

Hi Friend,
You couldn't have said it better! We should start working for God after our salvation but not trying to earn our salvation by augmenting the finished work of Christ by works.

wink
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by shadeyinka(m): 3:31pm On Oct 23, 2016
Tellemall:

That's the problem with new age and prosperity churches. They deceive members into believing it's all about grace, that your heart is what matters. No emphasis on sanctification. No true repentance. "Let them come, God will change them". That's why where are so many baby Christians who have been Christians for years. They just want to be lax Christians and so they've tailored the New testament to suit their fancy.
Why should you as a Christian "let them come"? Why are you depriving them of the truth, that they need repentance? Is it good works and their heart that takes them to heaven or belief and obedience in God?

Sorry, but your heart only gets you so far. You will need to look like a Christian at a certain point in time, otherwise what's the difference between you and the world? Your heart?

What good are you if your heart is good and you want a part of heaven? Even murderers have good hearts. Even blasphemers have good hearts. There needs to be a distinction between what is obtainable by grace and true Christian living.

These are the failures of the "grace" and "inner man" preachings that swept over the world recently.

When you're a Christian then let your Good deeds speak for you.

PS: promose10, I've contributed like you wanted me to. But do not add my moniker to any of your name lists in future.

If a person claims that he is Born Again but the evidence or fruit is absent, one can assume that such is NOT known by Christ.

Jesus says, by their fruit ye shall know them...

Also, there is judgement even of the righteous where each one is given a reward and commendation based on his faithfulness.

The experience may not be that palatable especially for Christians who are planning of coming into heaven as with the skin of their teeth.

Yes, they are His servants but with the disgraceful label: UNPROFITABLE SERVANT!
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by shadeyinka(m): 3:49pm On Oct 23, 2016
Tellemall:

I don't think the OP mean any harm. He considers the names as belonging to Christians who should not be divided by denominational bias to discuss doctrines from matured christian point of view.

I guess the best for the body of Christ is:
1. To support views that agrees with our understanding of the scriptures
2. Point out errors and things contrary to the scriptures as we understand them
3. Tone down truths presented in excesses.

Therefore, believers who read the post would be edified and built up in the knowledge of Christ.
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by Tellemall: 8:56pm On Oct 23, 2016
shadeyinka:

I don't think the OP mean any harm. He considers the names as belonging to Christians who should not be divided by denominational bias to discuss doctrines from matured christian point of view.

I guess the best for the body of Christ is:
1. To support views that agrees with our understanding of the scriptures
2. Point out errors and things contrary to the scriptures as we understand them
3. Tone down truths presented in excesses.

Therefore, believers who read the post would be edified and built up in the knowledge of Christ.

He actually quoted Mohammedans in his list of names, so he's either trying to agitate them or he's just doing so (quoting) blindly.

You must admit that the trend of listing names is as irritating as it is pointless.

If you know that you're mentioning Christians, who are you trying to preach to? If you want to uplift Christians, aren't there better ways to go about it instead of constituting an online nuisance by mentioning people who you don't know and don't know you?

I'm not against Christian threads or the idea behind it but subsequent posters end up quoting and spamming people's mentions. Plus there are some highly useless topics (atheistic or just dumb dumb dumb ones{synonyms really}, and some from confused-and-confusing posters) where members names are raised in.

Can't we all be serious for once?

Especially atheists who think they're funny by calling Christians to their insipid threads. It needs to stop. Nobody is interested.
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by Anas09: 10:40am On Oct 25, 2016
Tellemall:

Why D thing dey vex you? We dey complain?
Re: The Righteousness Of God By FAITH by Tellemall: 7:59pm On Oct 25, 2016
Anas09:

Why D thing dey vex you? We dey complain?

undecided

(1) (Reply)

Why Atheists Believe God Doesn't Exist / Did Satan Actually Tempt Jesus? / Let’s Drop Bible, Qu’ran, But Embrace Sango, Amadioha, Ayelala During Oath-takin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.