Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC (8459 Views)

Access Bank To Pay N53.47 Billion For 75% Of Intercontinental Bank / Intercontinental Bank And Access Bank Merge? / What Is The Swift Code And Routing Number For Intercontinental Bank Plc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by onewithgod: 6:24pm On Aug 08, 2009
[color=#990000][/color] smileyIntercontinental Bank is the best bank in Nigeria, but this unnecessary extortion is their problem. Why do they need to charge #50 for every transaction on their ATM?
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Purist(m): 6:53pm On Aug 08, 2009
kpofkpof:

The only thin is that they charge you N50 whenever you use the ATM machine and initially i didnt find it funny, but i am kind of cool with that now, afterall how else do u expect them to pay their workers and maintain the assest of the bank.

It's amazing how Nigerians accept everything with acquiescence, and to make matters worse, we make excuses for the very same people that exploit us! shocked shocked

You are charged N50 for withdrawing YOUR OWN money, and you think it's "cool"??!

Jeez. . .!!
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by MOSS1(m): 7:16pm On Aug 08, 2009
@kpofkpof why are you defending the bank? let the customers say their minds and stop
intimidating people up in here for pete's sake this is not your office.
If you are a worker for the intercontinental bank then focus your attention on your
office work instead of bullying nairalanders.
I bet she must be a worker or married to one.
else, why would she be so defensive? tell me @kpofkpof are you intercontinental bank?
abeg left people make them speak their mindas boo.
nonsense.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by MOSS1(m): 7:22pm On Aug 08, 2009
It's amazing how Nigerians accept everything with acquiescence, and to make matters worse, we make excuses for the very same people that exploit us! Shocked Shocked

You are charged N50 for withdrawing YOUR OWN money, and you think it's "cool"??!

Jeez. . .!!

I feel you jooo
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by 3T: 7:46pm On Aug 08, 2009
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by agabaI23(m): 7:52pm On Aug 08, 2009
hackney:

It's shocking that banks charge its customers AT ALL!!!!!
Only in africa
How can they be charging you for using your money to do business?

Sarcasm
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by onmakpo: 8:01pm On Aug 08, 2009
kpofkpof (f)

What is all these unneccessary talks about Intercontinental Bank? What has Akingbola done to deserve all these?'

Its not by force to get the new chip and pin card, you can operate your account without an ATM card if you wish. Intercontinetal bank was the first to get this new secured chip and pin card in line with CBN directive and instead of you giving them Kudos, you come here to open your stupid mouth (fingers) to say such things about them.

the bank is trying to reduce the rate of fraudsters on this on the magnetic stripe cards and that is why they introduced the more secured type, but if the 500 naira is a big deal, tell them you are not interested.

If you are following trend of things, even in the UK, US etc, they are trying to fight fraud, they are introducing and re-introducing all measures in place to curtail fradulent activities. Intercontinental is trying to safe guard your money- get that into your dead brains.

And to you- Cornel 318, overdue charges means that you are currently enjoying a loan facility with them, and at one time you defaulted and if you default, you must be penalised.

please please and please, leave Intercontinental and other commercial banks alone. If you are not happy with the Banks in Nigeria, please put your kobo kobo savings under your bedbugged pillows

hey bros

whotold u intercontinental is the first to use the chip cards?

y misinform people?

anyone that has atm card from first bank shoul look at the back and c the chip like dat on your sim card

fisrt bank was already using it b4 the cbn pronouncement without a charge so go and

correct your data.am sure you are an intercontinental bank stafff dats y u are marketing

dem seriously.cheers kiss kiss kiss
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by dinggle: 8:02pm On Aug 08, 2009
You guys are missing the whole issue.
Aren't banks insured in the first place?? if they are, why isn't the insurance paying those who were defrauded via ATM, thats the question everyone should be asking which no one is. Yeah, we all know there will be bogus claims and all that, arent banks suppose to have an investigative unit to run an investigation and trace all transaction made before and after the fraud so as to ascertain the credibility of each claim?? Before you all jump to the so-called secured pin how are you sure it is secured?? does it come with a guarrantee of refund if compromised by fraudsters?? thats the question the banks should answer before demanding N500 or N1000 to switch.  Remember they jinggled the ATM card when it first arrived and told everyone it was save!
No card is secured, i remember an elementary joke in sch, the white man who created the pencil also created the eraser. Destroy your card, and inform your bank that ur card is missing so they can disable it and start withdrawing money from the counter with paper cheque or witdraw slip. We all know how badly individuals have been burnt. Your card can't be hidden because even if you dig a hole and burry your card, it can still be compromised by bank insiders and they will come up wit a bogus story that you used it online, since when did foreign marketers start accepting Nigerian cards?, Nigeria ,Russia, and Lebanon where three of the most blacklisted countries whose online payment have for long been a no go area. Even when using a foreign legally obtained card from these countries it is still difficult to be granted successful online payment transaction.

I did same to my bank, now i sleep with confidence. I need no decitful card thats capable of making my 10yrs savings disappear in 10mins. Not even when the govt don't know if i'm a citizen or not or when my rights isn't included in the Nigerian constitution.
You guys shouldn't come here and cry when you get burnt do the right thing while u can.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by moss2: 8:03pm On Aug 08, 2009
O lord please bring it on I am enjoying this topic extremely

Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Finecat(m): 8:04pm On Aug 08, 2009
The bank is very useless, i can bet you that intercontinental bank is will soon get swallowed by another bank. They will be merged with another by the end of the year. The bank is on life support. A bank that cut staff's salary by %30, systematically laying off staff everyday, blocks customers from withdrawing large amount of money - what more signs of trouble do you need?
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by timmy7(m): 8:06pm On Aug 08, 2009
Thank u my pple 4 treating d fk up of that pufpuf abi na buns sef How can u say it's okay to charge N500 for ''mandatory'' change of card when d poster stated clearly that his acct in zenith doesnt require any charge to get same card, and even uba sef charged N100. Nw whc is better?-charging u N50 for every transaction on their atm aside d N100 deducted 4 using other atm(ib) or charging u N100 monthly but no charge everytime u use their atm(uba). I mean the ones that charge shuld av a good reason to do so,gtb doesnt charge 4 using their atm on savings acct and no atm maint charge on same so they might av a reason there similarly i can say uba charge monthly atm maint charge hence,subsidize their replacement 4 N100,so how can i explain same 4 ibplc and u dey here dey jam talk because u urself be atm machine grin
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by kpofkpof: 8:08pm On Aug 08, 2009
Purist:

It's amazing how Nigerians accept everything with acquiescence, and to make matters worse, we make excuses for the very same people that exploit us! shocked shocked

Jeez. . .!!

ATM machines does not run on water, and even if it does run on water, water aint free in this country

ogahimself:

why so much venom in your posts
becos i hate all unneccssary bad focus on Intercontinental bank

gent2ken:

This guy call "kpofkpof ' is very stupid or mannerless, you just dont talk to people like that despite their money and bastard reasons they are giving to them. How could you? us, uk you were reffering too did this free without exployting custormer and ATM is free any where I live here and You cant tell me about banking system abroad,dont miss lead pple or talk to them any how for their money. Be among to fight for pple right and not soiling their money stylishly,im sure you have something or connection with that bank or maybe you are waiting for a loan like Virgin Airline did to GTB and they are now in court. Man you are not a good Nigeria and dont fucking dare to reply me beccause you will hate youself,i live abroad so dont say anything about abroad as you know nothing,they dont exployt pple like pple do without any action from the govtm. Goodluck I hate pple like you in that country, kiss ma ass niga
I can see you leave abroad, and that's why you really write impeccably well. your grammar is well dictioned
Kemjisuper:

Last week, My younger brother lost N30,000 from his Intercontinental Bank Account.  cry Funny enough, he had submitted his ATM card to the bank's customer service personnel about a week earlier for renewal. We were having a family dinner when two Bank SMS messages were sent to his phone confirming withdrawals of N10,000 and N20,000 consecutively from his account. He rushed to the bank the first thing in the morning and the bank confirmed the cash was withdrawn from an ATM in Lagos, while his ATM card was still in their possession. (Intercontinental Bank PH) undecided

Whatever stories will these bank fools tell us next? They're still on the case as we speak! If the justice system in Naija were functional, a couple of lawyers would be warming up by now for a massive lawsuit and millions in damages. Nevertheless, to let peace reign, we're just praying for a quiet credit of the missing funds, and nobody gets hurt!  angry

are you sure your brother did not divulge his card info to this fake interswitch site ?

Anyway Intercontinental bank is not a charity organization, if you dont like the bank- you have 23 other choices

PS- I am not married to any inetrcontinental staff, neither am i a staff of the bank. I am simply a business woman
Finecat:

The bank is very useless, i can bet you that intercontinental bank is will soon get swallowed by another bank. They will be merged with another by the end of the year. The bank is on life support. A bank that cut staff's salary by %30, systematically laying off staff everyday, blocks customers from withdrawing large amount of money - what more signs of trouble do you need?
you have just explained why you are a CAT. Get your facts right b4 you come and start blabbing rubbish. I hope to eat your words come end of this year
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by shellicon(m): 8:27pm On Aug 08, 2009
Intercontinental bank has problem. i'm a customer in that bank but i'm feed-up 
with there constant deduction from my acct. Most banks do not charge u for using their
ATM to withdraw money in the same bank but Intercontinental bank charges N50 which is bad.
That bank is boring.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Purist(m): 9:03pm On Aug 08, 2009
kpofkpof:

ATM machines does not run on water, and even if it does run on water, water aint free in this country

I suppose, also, that other banks that do not charge a Kobo for withdrawing on their ATMs, do not run their machines on air either, which is absolutely free by the way.

Point is, rather than make excuses for their inadequacies, I would rather you advise them to run their ATMs on whatever it is other banks in Nigeria are using. Whatever "platform" they're running their machines on doesn't seem to be doing their customers any good.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by baslone: 10:19pm On Aug 08, 2009
Purist:

I suppose, also, that other banks that do not charge a Kobo for withdrawing on their ATMs, do not run their machines on air either, which is absolutely free by the way.

Like I know my GTB does not charge me for their machine.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by playahP(m): 10:25pm On Aug 08, 2009
@KPOF KPOF

I am really disappointed at the way you talk and reason.
It is unfair to charge people 50 bucks for using their banks' ATM.
It is better you shut up and let the customers complain than going bout defending YOUR BANK.
it is obvious you work in the bank and that goes a long way to show that your customer service is zero.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by reindeer: 10:27pm On Aug 08, 2009
Its unfortunate someone is defending extortion.

Nobody ever said don't charge people for services, but it should be reasonable.

I have always known that bank(intercontinental) had issues.My cousin had the same fate of being scammed through his debit card and the bank has been foot dragging about repaying him.Its just not fair to charge that prohibitive fee for a changeover of cards abi who issued the older defective cards in the 1st place?
Frankly i think i agree with the poster who says the bank may be swallowed up soon.From what i hear, they are just too hungry for money.
I will never do anything with them. angry
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Shaunscot(m): 10:28pm On Aug 08, 2009
I'd like to defend Intercontinental Bank(And Kpofpof) on this one.

First of all, its up to the bank to either stomach the cost of the cards  or pass the cost to the customers.

I dont bank with Intercontinental so i wouldnt know if they charged for their magnetic stripe cards.

However I bank with GTB and while my mag stripe card was free, Ive been told I'll pay for the new chip card.

Another point to note is charging customers is at the discretion of the Bank.Zenith Bank charges me 65 Naira for using My Zenith Card on a Zenith ATM - Knowing this money goes to Zenith alone (Unlike the 100 Naira shared by Interswitch, Card owner and ATM owner), I use my Zenith card on any availabe ATM.

For those claiming that First Bank had been issuing chip cards, I would say that is False - You can ask a First Bank staff yourself.

My First Bank card just expired 2 months ago (Ive had it for 2 years) and I can assure you that the chip is empty.

lastly - I would like to say that maintining an ATM machine in Nigeria costs money(Power, Network, etc).Who knows what the charges will be with this new CBN directive that all banks should withdraw all off-site ATMs, The ATM consortiums will need to maintain the ATMs somehow wouldnt they?

Just my 2-cents, I'm well informed about the industry.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 08, 2009
@topic~Some posts to this thread seems to be defending dis exploitation by intercontinental bank.Dis bank is nt the only bank issuing the new verve card,other banks do.So what moral justification do they have to deduct #50 on atm withdrawal even on savings account.I have an account with int bank,so i know how it hurts me when im being charge for using my bank atm machine bt when u use another bank machine,only #100 is deducted by interswitch.So where does the #50 enter.I blame cbn for this problem,or is Efcc not supposed to wage into this mata.
@kpokpof & simplesoul~i dnt blame u, U dnt work or earn,possibly u r being fed by ur parents,so i dnt tnk ur comment is needed in dis type of thread.Maybe u should go to education section & c whazup on ASUU strike.Can u imagine urself saying that atm are nt run on water, Go to any other bank on monday & find out about atm services,come back & tel me wat u learn if it wont be diffrnt frm wat int bank is doing.Strait up boy.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by youngdee(m): 10:52pm On Aug 08, 2009
Why are you people worried, there are so many "legal" scams we are facing here in Nigeria, all those telecommunication networks scam us a lot if you dont know, Etisalat is telling to win $1 Million, imagine that rubbish, why not use that a million dollars for free call to all network from 4pm to 10 pm daily for a month or two? MTN, GLO, Zain all have their own tricks too.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by delequake(m): 10:55pm On Aug 08, 2009
The lord is good
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Vladmir2: 11:05pm On Aug 08, 2009
Thanks,Shaunscot for that incisive explanation.I think it is clearly a question of choice.It is either you request for the card and be charged or vice versa.IT IS CLEARLY A QUESTION OF CHOICE.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Pimples(m): 11:09pm On Aug 08, 2009
Intermilk,
Intermillan,
Oh I 4got this thread is all about Intercontinental bank as far as I'm concerned all banks in Nigeria have d ability to excel in d art of stealing, Why, they are managed by Nigerians. No wonder they wanna re-brand d country. The banks inclusive
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by tayoast(m): 11:17pm On Aug 08, 2009
Fear catch me now. When they gave me a form 2 fill and i saw d epistle called terms and conditions, i knew i was in 4 it.

However, Int'ctnental ain't d only bank milking her customers. When a frd told me d reason he stopped keeping his money in d bank, i sympathized.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Temmiegirl(f): 11:45pm On Aug 08, 2009
Whoever said Gtb deducted 1000, does not know what Gtb is. As for me, i have a GTB account an ive been trying for the past 2 years to open an account with another bank but they keep deducting for one thing or the other. I tried Bank PHB, Zenith and Skye, but
GTB IS STILL THE BEST.

Im sure all those supporting this deduction work in the bank and just want to make a case so they can be paid by the end of the month, WITH OUR MONEY.Its totally wrong and unfortunate!
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Finecat(m): 12:22am On Aug 09, 2009
delequake:

KpofKpof, why dont you shut your bitchy mouth up, first and foremost, the bank does not need ur N50 to pay it's employees and secondly intercontinential is just too f**ked up. My bank, FCMB, does not charge for ATM withdrawals and Account maintenance and thier employees are paid monthly. I wonder why you blow gaskets anytime intercontinental is mentioned.

Haba! Bro, take it easy. That was kinda harsh. Let's respectively disagree on issues. I dont support her claim, i think intercontinental is trying to strongarm it's customers to dig out of the deep financial hole they have found themselves. The bank is in some serious financial trouble due to careless business dealings. One love y'all.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by nuesaweso(f): 1:19am On Aug 09, 2009
Shaunscot:

I'd like to defend Intercontinental Bank(And Kpofpof) on this one.

First of all, its up to the bank to either stomach the cost of the cards  or pass the cost to the customers.

I dont bank with Intercontinental so i wouldnt know if they charged for their magnetic stripe cards.

However I bank with GTB and while my mag stripe card was free, Ive been told I'll pay for the new chip card.

Another point to note is charging customers is at the discretion of the Bank.Zenith Bank charges me 65 Naira for using My Zenith Card on a Zenith ATM - Knowing this money goes to Zenith alone (Unlike the 100 Naira shared by Interswitch, Card owner and ATM owner), I use my Zenith card on any availabe ATM.

For those claiming that First Bank had been issuing chip cards, I would say that is False - You can ask a First Bank staff yourself.

My First Bank card just expired 2 months ago (Ive had it for 2 years) and I can assure you that the chip is empty.

lastly - I would like to say that maintining an ATM machine in Nigeria costs money(Power, Network, etc).Who knows what the charges will be with this new CBN directive that all banks should withdraw all off-site ATMs, The ATM consortiums will need to maintain the ATMs somehow wouldnt they?

Just my 2-cents, I'm well informed about the industry.

@Shaunscot, before you affiliate urself with lowlifes and scoundrels, now go back and read all Kpof kpof has spewed so far and tell me if your line of thoughts are same.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by factsman: 6:32am On Aug 09, 2009
When i joined this forum, i saw nairalanders as cultured, intelligent progressive minded individual who are excelling in their various fields of human endeavours. People that are endowed with high sense of discretion and great sense of humour. But alas, attacks on our banking system has generated a conflict of interest, and subsequently, this has made us to attack ourselves individually and collectively. I read with great shock and utmost disbelief our different views on this topic. Objectivity forbids taking a side to a story and expressing any form of bias or sentiment on an issue of national interest.
All topic aimed at attacking our banking system have created more problems than an enlightenment they were meant to provide. The initiator of such topics designed them with a sole aim of seeking other accomplice that would help in running down an institution rather than seek clarification on a seemingly confusing issue.E.g. INTERCONTINENTAL BANK OF FRAUD, OCEANIC LAY OFF 1500 IN ONE MONTH, WHAT IS WRONG WITH INTERCONTINENTAL ETC
Now lets talk, when are we going to stop destroying our banks on this forum WE HAVE DEALT MERCILESSLY WITH INTERCONTINENTAL, RUTHLESS WITH OCEANIC- what's more? Some people worked and prayed endlessly for these banks to remain an entity so when are we going to stop And directly or indirectly we got people working with them too.
Foremost, people should do their home work well before raising topics that would make us attack ourselves.
I have different accounts in top 5-banks here, ranging from savings account to current to business current to domiciliary ET AL.
Nigeria banks are different in style but the same in substance. By that i meant they are all looking for obnoxious profit in the face of a vicious com petion and it is you and i that will provide that profit. The ON different like i said is that the style of making you to contribute to their bottomline differs. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT A BANK IS A PROFIT MAKING INSTITUTION AND NOT A CHARITY ORGANIZATION
What is the hullabaloo about INTERCONTINENTAL charging you N500 that we are attacking ourselves, PHB charged me N1000.00 when i never requested for the card and so on(PLESAECONFIRM). I got a text from Zenith for my Card, First bank and GTb said i should come and pick it up and i know all these cannot be free in its entirety. NO BE NAIJA

LET DROP BANKING LOOK AT DSTV, HITV AND CO, WHETHER YOU WATCH IT OR NOT YOU ARE PAYING AT MONTH END IN NIGERIA WHERE THEIR IS NO LIGHT. WHY ARE THEY NOT LIKE YOUR RECHARGE CARD FOR US TO PAY PER VIEW AS IN SOME PART OF THE WORLD?

NAIRALANDERS HAVE NOT SEEN ANY WRONGDOING OR BEING CHEATED IN THIS BUT ON BANKING WHERE THE COST OF DOING BUSINES IS VERY HIGH ESPECIALLY COST ON DIESEL, SECURITY,staff remuneration etc
PLEASE LET STOP DESTROYING THESE BANKS OR ELSE PEOPLE WOULD MAKE ME TO THING THEY ARE PAID FOR SUCH AFTERALL YOU GOT OTHER OPTIONS IBPLC,FIRST,GTB,ZENITH,UBA AMONG OTHERS. - My regards
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by moss2: 7:23am On Aug 09, 2009
Yes go ahead and keep defending the parasites that feed on your crops. And while you are at it, adore the virus that is breaking down your immune system. Nigerians self.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by erico2k2(m): 10:20am On Aug 09, 2009
Na wah oh, Card with bank,money withdrawn in Lagos,you know what,people are to ignorant in this our lovely country,Banks are insured so they are liable to refund any monies lost true fraudulent means which aint ur fault,no the big queston is, can you prove it aint ur fault, if YES, take them to court simple,No one has hence hey are ripping people off, by the way,any bank has the right to make what ever deduction they so please, butyou as a consummer have the right to withdraw your money and go to the next bank,that's the beauty of competition,in the Uk, I chosed to bank with RBS cos they pay interest to my current account,they are the only bank that did it at that time,thier limitation was that they have limited branches, so if someone gonna pay in for me, big problem,SO IF YOU LOSE MONEY SUE THE BANK, IF THEY CHARGE TOO MUCH WITHDRAW YOUR MONEY GO ANOTHER BANK like GTB or FBN simple.
We should be happy CHip and Pin is now in Nigeria no more fraudulent withdrawal as the machine interacts with ur card only and no third party.but i think it should be free though or the fee charged should be reasonable ie N100 andit should be free withdrawal of cash at ur bank's ATM,in UK withdrawal of monies from any Bank's ATM be it urs or not is absolutely free,unless you go to the independent marketers ATM
Just my thoughts,might not represent that of others.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Naira Vs. Ghana Cedi / First Private Refinery Begins Operation In Rivers State / Best Hotels In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.