Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President (5811 Views)

Pictures From Hotel Where Dangote Is Allegedly Held Hostage In Mali / Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock / Dangote Is The Next President Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by dfanthom(m): 7:20pm On Aug 07, 2009
now the fun has just begun  angry the insider trading & manipulation will be elevated to a statecraft! this is naija & shit happens cos as the 'yes we can' statesman said individuals cum strongmen rule here not institutions. so where will the checks & balances come from?
heard som1 say nairaland.   .   .   .   .LOL!!! grin
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by asha80(m): 7:29pm On Aug 07, 2009
dfanthom:

now the fun has just begun angry the insider trading & manipulation will be elevated to a statecraft! this is naija & shit happens cos as the 'yes we can' statesman said individuals cum strongmen rule here not institutions. so where will the checks & balances come from?
heard som1 say nairaland. . . . .LOL!!! grin

i like your contribution.Naija is a country that is run on individual whim and caprices and not on a system.
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by akigbemaru: 9:18pm On Aug 07, 2009
Abatakan:

Thanks Ibime/Rebarobyn/Rasputin and to others who can see the issue here.

You made my day,amongst all this madness there are still nigerian that believes this is wrong!wrong! wrong!?To paraphrase Ibime-The lion (Dangote) is now in charge of the zoo. Goodbye to NSE.

@ all investors, withdraw your cash with immediate effect.

And to add my own`The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum`

Keep hating while you watch Aliko Dangote's money piled up. Yeah, buddy! If this could have been one of your cave men, I bet your ass probably going to pop "Ogogoro or Burukutu champagne". Won't you? Okekere was there before, Otudeku just got off, let's Dangote shine too, it's way long overdue--this is about time buddy. You are a hater, keep drinking your Gatorade Hate-to-rade jackass; it ain't finna gat your scrub-ass nowhere in life buddy! grin grin grin
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by Pataki: 10:50pm On Aug 07, 2009
Did I hear someone now saying. . . . . .''Power now belongs to the north!''
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by nex(m): 11:52pm On Aug 07, 2009
Well, as long as according to the rules of the NSE, he is eligible, I have no problem with that. What they should do is revise their rules before the next tenure. I believe this position is just a ceremonial thing among the top shareholders. The Director General is the position of the regulatory body of the stock exchange.

I believe it's like Tee Mac being the president of PMAN.
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by chyk91(m): 11:56pm On Aug 07, 2009
i saw it coming
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by whiteroses(f): 3:11am On Aug 08, 2009
who the heck is dangote and how do you milk him
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by pheebs: 7:00am On Aug 08, 2009
@dammizz
by now u should know that no industry in nigeria is too big to be destroyed especially by greedy and unreasonable individuals whose sole mission is to promote their very own interests (and occassionally not even in a subtle fashion)
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by DisGuy: 10:55am On Aug 08, 2009
Stil dont get why people are against Dangote?

Was the election rigged?

Does he in anyway influence who gets listed or de-list?

does he have anything to do with companies balance sheet and timely announcements?

The regulatory body is SEC-headed by Arunma Oteh, and the DG is Madam 'I have a Phd' Okereke
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by nex(m): 11:21am On Aug 08, 2009
@Dis Guy

this president of the NSE thing to me is just like some ceremonial position. I don't believe he has any rights to make rules or adjust regulations of the stock exchange.

People just hate rich people. See the refineries the man wanted to buy, what are the masses using them for now?
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by jaguar09(m): 11:27am On Aug 08, 2009
His emergence was improper. because a teacher can not be a student at the same time in the same class he/she teaches.

Nigerians and NSE investor open your eyes. he may have performed credibilly well as vice president because he is not at the herm of affairs,

lets hope other stalkholder holder dont buy into his monopolitic nature of doing business. Just as Dangote has done, with Sugar, and other consumable goods. God help this country.
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by otokx(m): 1:23pm On Aug 08, 2009
what is all this hulabaloo about? he was the vice president of the NSE and the culture is that the vice president always takes over from the president so what is all this nonsense talk of insider trading and manipulation?
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by Afam4eva(m): 3:17pm On Aug 08, 2009
Nigeria have come to be a D-I-S-E-A-S-E
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by knight4u(m): 4:06pm On Aug 08, 2009
God help us in this country! Well, Lets see what he can do but I'm skeptical though undecided
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by nex(m): 4:14pm On Aug 08, 2009
@jaguar

Can a student not become an SUG President or a NANS President? Will they say because they are stake holders, they should find their executives among lecturers?
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by nellaluv(f): 4:53pm On Aug 08, 2009
i tot d guy was an illiterate, u no a trader, lol shocked
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by mechris: 4:55pm On Aug 08, 2009
I think Otedola should be on que  as vice president or president in waiting.At least he will provide a credible check on Dangote, while the saga continues.Meanwhile  i have my eyes on Ghana stock exchange now!
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by mamagee6(f): 8:15pm On Aug 08, 2009
What a pity for Nigeria!!!!! cry
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by nex(m): 8:42pm On Aug 08, 2009
What grace for Nigeria.
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by oge4real(f): 10:04pm On Aug 08, 2009
For the first time, I really think he deserve it since he has been vp for some time now.
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by namun(f): 10:39pm On Aug 08, 2009
he does not deserve such a position because his integrity has been copromised. apart from that someone that can stoop so low to do all what he did can do ANYTHING TO PROTECT HIS INTEREST
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by Nobody: 11:41pm On Aug 08, 2009
Bill gates,bill clinton & warren buffet are billionaires yet most of their money have gone into charity which nigeria benefits from even til tomorrow.Dangote & otedola are billionaires bt they've done nothing to bring nigeria from our current miseries, I only pity otedola cuz dangote wil deal with him now.Who cares afterall i no chop 4 der money'^~lol
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by back2back(f): 12:28am On Aug 09, 2009
this fellow Dangote should fix the NSE website.

a whole NSE does not have functional website is laughable.

I wonder what Otudeko really achieved!
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by decworld1: 5:46pm On Aug 09, 2009
can him perform?
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by Eagle1(m): 6:12pm On Aug 09, 2009
nex:

@jaguar

Can a student not become an SUG President or a NANS President? Will they say because they are stake holders, they should find their executives among lecturers?

Does that remove the fact that he is still a student. U miss the point. HONOUR. His act is called insider abuse, manipulating the system. SEC should not have allowed his nomination. But of course, this is Nigeria. Shit happens.
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by Tolulop001(f): 7:17pm On Aug 09, 2009
conflict of interest
plain and simple. and like someone said, a known inside trader. how can we be so willing to accept this? angry
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by Donvilo(m): 5:43am On Aug 10, 2009
cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin shocked sad angry I laugh b'cos I don't know what nigeria is turning into. To me, this seems to be a some kind of freaking joke!
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by davidif: 11:45am On Aug 10, 2009
THIS IS CALLED CONFLICT OF INTEREST PEOPLE!!!!!!! THIS IS LIKE ALLOWING THE WOLVES TO WATCH OVER THE SHEEP. NORMALLY, I DON'T USUALLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CONVERTING A POACHER INTO A GAMESKEEPER BUT GEEZ, DANGOTE SHOULD HAVE SOLD ALL HIS SHARES AND OWNERSHIP IN HIS COMPANY BEFORE BEING ALLOWED TO TAKE OVER THE NSE, THE MAN WOULD JUST CORNER THE MARKET ON BEHALF OF HIS COMPANY.
When Joseph Kennedy (the father of John Kennedy) was put in charge of the newly created securities and exchange commission (SEC) he had already left wall street by then. Even though he made a majority of his money in the stock market in what would be called unethical practices today his expertise was needed on how to stop people from doing the same "unethical" things he did in the market. 
Nigeria should have a board of goverment ethics that screens any potential government employee so as to avoid this nonsense.
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by Nezan(m): 1:02pm On Aug 10, 2009
dis na naija
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by KnowAll(m): 3:41pm On Aug 10, 2009
It might be the best time for Dangote’s Company share-holders to increase their stake and any other investors who want to make a killing should buy Dangote stocks, because a false stock appreciation is looming, First-In, First-out, smart investors should be stockpiling now for the appreciation that is about to commence and sell as quickly as one senses a decline in the market. Dangote himself will be making a killing thereby re-establishing himself as an authentic billionaire. Those that are wise should monitor those stocks and buy when the climbing starts. My only reservation and fear will be the owners of AP stocks I see gloom in the horizon for those stocks.
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by nex(m): 3:50pm On Aug 10, 2009
Please, you people should think straight. When Jerry Putnam became president of the NYSE in 2006, besides being a shareholder in a couple of companies, he was also a shareholder in the New York Stock Exchange itself via the acquisition of his electronic company, Archipelago Holdings some years prior to that.

In terms of integrity, the same Putnam was investigated for his involvement in a controversial trade with Wolfang Flottl which saw the collapse of Refco.

The question y'all should be asking yourselves is:

WHY DO YOU HATE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE SO MUCH??!
Re: Dangote Is Now Stock Exchange President by sleekymag(m): 6:17pm On Aug 10, 2009
Don't know too much about stocks though i know the post of Presidency of the NSE is not akin to being the DG of the NSE. Being the DG gives more you more official responsibility and oversight functions of the state of the stock exchange.

That being said, it appears to me that Dangote's election as the President of the Stock Exchange is more like having a prominent actor become the President of the Actors' Guild of Nigeria, or like someone earlier said, 'like TeeMac being the President of PMAN'.

So my question is, "is the NSE board of which Dangote is president, more like an association, for which Directors and Chairmen of public quoted companies are members?" If yes, then there might not be much wrong in him becoming the President.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2011: Never Field Women As Candidates, Group Warns / Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial / Rights Commission’s Boss Declares Assets Publicly: Gej What About U?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.