Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation - Science/Technology (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation (87555 Views)

NigComSat-1, Nigeria's Satellite In The Orbit: What Is The Situation Now? / Anular Eclipse In Nigeria: What's The Situation Report In Your Area?? / HEAVY RAIN DOWNPOUR IN LAGOS: What Is The Situation Of Things In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by DMerciful(m): 4:46pm On Apr 25, 2016
Don't confuse people with English. Some inverter has in built solar charge regulator so the panels can be connected directly to the batteries through d inverter. But if you have ordinary inverter u just buy a charge controller of about 30-40k...shikena
osabuohein:
Yes bros. Solar inverter uses sunlight to charge while those powered by batteries need Nepa or a generator to charge its batteries. But solar inverter still remains the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by DMerciful(m): 4:49pm On Apr 25, 2016
U still need batteries especially with solar grin. The sun does not shine at night or foggy wheathers grin
Solar guarantees you're independent from d national grid....that's d beauty cheesy
hornyman:

I am interested in solar, to me solar is the best, inverter is short term solutions and still make u depended on PHCN, GEN and Solar and the battery of inverter has a lifespan of 6 years or even 5 years. So in 5 years I will have to start saving or running to buy another sets of batteries? No way, I'd rather do the needful now by investing on Solar. Now my question are, are u in Lagos?, aside the solar panel which you say cost N48k each what else will be required to use the solar. I need all it takes to get a solar in my house so if you give me an idea and all the prices involve in getting Solar I can use my calculations to know how much I'm supposed to budget for the solar.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by DMerciful(m): 4:51pm On Apr 25, 2016
U definitely need an external smart charger or else it will take you a week to full charge grin
pat077:
will d ups b able to charge d battery effectively or do i need a smart chager?
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by prof2015(m): 4:52pm On Apr 25, 2016
DMerciful:
Never use locally made inverters, they have poor charging system and will charge ur batteries to death!
it depends my inverter has overcharge protection and charge voltage of 25v and goes off when it reaches 12% of the battery. when ever i build any circuit i put safety first so please stop underselling us. thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by DMerciful(m): 4:58pm On Apr 25, 2016
Use deep cycle valve regulated batteries. The are not necessarily dry cell but the acid is in a spongy mesh and as such maintenance free as d hydrogen gas given off during charging is recombined due to its sealed nature however there is gradual electrolyte loss due d valve...else it would explode during charging or overcharging
bigtt76:
Dry cell cos it's maintenance free and usually sealed.

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Ancientx(m): 5:19pm On Apr 25, 2016
kogistar:
so, wet cell can't las

It will if well maintained.. However, the stress of maintenance is the issue here and trying to check one thing or the other in the battery.. As for dry cell .. Deep cycle batteries to be precise they are very good.. I use just 2.. I dont connect my refrigerator to it.. I actually have a refrigerator and a deep freezer.. and the deep freezer remains frozen even after 4 days of no light so i dont see any reason to put them on inverter batteries.. But truly it doesnt only saves money on the long run,The stress involves with Generators can drive anyone mad.
Stress of Generators.
It can decide to stop working at a time you cant get anyone to fix it.
The starter can stop working anytime / the rope can snap off from constant pulling..
Noise
General maintenance
spark plug issues.
Fuel consumptions and many more..
If you do a simple maths with running on generator and inverter you will agree inverter is 3 times better in all aspect.
Dont get me wrong i still have a 2.5kva generator which i hardly touch. But just a back up for my food items in the freezers and the pumping machine.

1 Like

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Electroweb(m): 5:31pm On Apr 25, 2016
DMerciful:
A good system batteries stays averagely 4-6yrs. D bigger the system, d more d longevity

Huh! Which good system batteries stays 4-6yrs? Abeg dont derail people. The only way they will even last up to three yrs is if u always use abt 5% of inverter capacity. Imagine spending a little over a million for an inverter-solar arrangement and u r using it to charge ur phone because u want the expensive batteries to last for 6 yrs. or u have a 1.5kva inverter and u only use one 20watts energy saving bulb. Does that make economic sense? For intending users of inverter, weigh the pros and cons well well before embarking on it.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by adanny01(m): 5:41pm On Apr 25, 2016
Excuzeme:

Is SOLAR Inverter, different from those used with Batteries, charged by Nepa?

Thanks

From my understanding, i cant picture what that is it if it does exist.

Solar panels generate electricity, you can use that electricity directly or indirectly. You can use that solar electricty to power a TV or any appliance. The only problem is that the panels could generate more current than your appliance may require, that will be dangerous for the appliance. So you need a regulator to supply the appliance exactly what it needs. Thats where the solar charge controller comes in.

Now, the solar panels produce Direct Current (DC) Electricity, the batteries are in DC too, so no inverter is required. However, our usual TV, lightenings, fans, laptop power packs require Atlernating Current, so if you which to use those appliances, you will need an inverter connected to the solar panel or battery to convert the DC to AC.

In some off grid solar applications like country homes or bush camp cabins for example, you can choose to buy a DC fridge, TV, fan, lighting etc and you will not require an inverter. In such a case, you need a solar panel, charge controller and batteries to store excess electricity.

The conventional inverter is a combination of a DC to AC inveterter for AC applications and an AC to DC charger to use grid electricity (NEPA) to charge the batteries.

A hybrid back up power system (off+on grid) consist of solar panels, charge controller, AC-DC charger and the batteries. On grid system has no solar panel and charge controller. Off grid has no AC-DC charger.

The DC-AC inverter is optional in all cases.

5 Likes

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by DMerciful(m): 6:46pm On Apr 25, 2016
No need to argue with you....people who have been using it can testify.
Electroweb:

Huh! Which good system batteries stays 4-6yrs? Abeg dont derail people. The only way they will even last up to three yrs is if u always use abt 5% of inverter capacity. Imagine spending a little over a million for an inverter-solar arrangement and u r using it to charge ur phone because u want the expensive batteries to last for 6 yrs. or u have a 1.5kva inverter and u only use one 20watts energy saving bulb. Does that make economic sense? For intending users of inverter, weigh the pros and cons well well before embarking on it.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Electroweb(m): 8:23pm On Apr 25, 2016
DMerciful:
No need to argue with you....people who have been using it can testify.

Lmao!
Shalom.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by hornyman(m): 8:35pm On Apr 25, 2016
DMerciful:
U still need batteries especially with solar grin. The sun does not shine at night or foggy wheathers grin
Solar guarantees you're independent from d national grid....that's d beauty cheesy

Wow, thanx for that piece of information. It helps.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by oloet: 8:44pm On Apr 25, 2016
DMerciful:
Never use locally made inverters, they have poor charging system and will charge your batteries to death!
read the thread carefully before making a conclusion.... thanks
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by DMerciful(m): 8:54pm On Apr 25, 2016
You can go ahead and purchase local inveretr but do not say you were not warned!
oloet:
read the thread carefully before making a conclusion.... thanks

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Youssouff10(m): 10:04pm On Apr 25, 2016
Opoki:
I ave a smaller version of inverter for my fone only
na power bank u buy grin

2 Likes

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by vivaciousvivi(f): 1:23am On Apr 26, 2016
DancingSkeleton:
What's the cost of an inverter?
It depends on the capacity. I installed a1.1kva sine wave inverter and 1 200AH battery in my house in late January. It powers all my energy-saving bulbs, 2 ceiling fans, TV, DVD, laptop. But not fridge or freezer nor electrical iron. Inclusive of wiring and installation costs, I paid N80k.
Waiting for my landlady to give me approval to add my 2 solar panels on the roof soon.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by ResourceMan(m): 7:10am On Apr 26, 2016
klarke:
My system is a small one but it serves me wella!
It's about 75k with solar panel

What exactly is your system made up of? Kindly list it out please!
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by SailorXY: 9:09am On Apr 26, 2016
damola1:
It'll be a crime if I don't comment on this topic.

I run a 247 service, and I tell you without the inverter. at least 12 employees will be out of jobs and I don't think I can take this crap of this country. I will probably have found my way out.

No light for days, and weeks... how do businesses survive? It's really crazy.

I buy fuel when the light goes critical. like no light for like 3 days... I thank God for them. Oh, also, I had to do a lightening protector, cos, one time last year, thunder struck it out... as I stay at the topmost place around...

But I don't do all this indian or chinko inverter crap. I tried them once, I knew it wasn't for me. From basic knowledge their charging amps are pretty low.... hence it can take them 4x to charge compared to standard inverters like xantrex, tripple lite or outback.

I bought a used outback inverter, in fact, I bought 2units... with 6 200AH batteries...

And it's like magic. We use it all day at work... all day... and it charges at night... or even for a couple of hours... our Gen dey gather dust.. steady...
Bro how much did this cost you in total & what exactly does it power?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by Innomach(m): 3:21pm On Apr 26, 2016
DMerciful:
200W is about 50k but make sure you go for the monocrystalline panels...they are more efficient
Okay, thanks.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by bobojoshua(m): 5:34am On Apr 27, 2016
DMerciful:
Those slim deep cycle lead acid or akiline batteries from Sun corporation. Those Martine type batteries and some flooded high AH batteries. I have read some low voltage and high AH that can stay for 20years however not common. Lithium ion also last long but expensive.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by bobojoshua(m): 6:02am On Apr 27, 2016
damola1:
It'll be a crime if I don't comment on this topic.

I run a 247 service, and I tell you without the inverter. at least 12 employees will be out of jobs and I don't think I can take this crap of this country. I will probably have found my way out.

No light for days, and weeks... how do businesses survive? It's really crazy.

I buy fuel when the light goes critical. like no light for like 3 days... I thank God for them. Oh, also, I had to do a lightening protector, cos, one time last year, thunder struck it out... as I stay at the topmost place around...

But I don't do all this indian or chinko inverter crap. I tried them once, I knew it wasn't for me. From basic knowledge their charging amps are pretty low.... hence it can take them 4x to charge compared to standard inverters like xantrex, tripple lite or outback.

I bought a used outback inverter, in fact, I bought 2units... with 6 200AH batteries...

And it's like magic. We use it all day at work... all day... and it charges at night... or even for a couple of hours... our Gen dey gather dust.. steady...
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by bobojoshua(m): 7:33am On Apr 27, 2016
Opoki:

Get a Binatone UPS, remove the battery inside and replace it with a car battery or deep circle batter of 12v 75ah or 12v 100ah then you're ready to hit the highway.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by kogistar: 9:17am On Apr 27, 2016
who know & used this battery? Exide 2v Nmst 800ah Agm Vrla Sealed Deep Cycle Industrial Batteries

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by coderXO(m): 1:56pm On Apr 27, 2016
Boss13:

You have a point my brother. Battery is key. I am suffering from bad batteries. Though I intend to manage them till it packs up finally. Please don't buy batteries from Alaba even if the supplier gets it directly from manufacturer. As long as it is Alaba, don't buy. In short don't buy inverter from Alaba as well.

So where should one buy from?

1 Like

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by charlesbailey(m): 9:20am On Apr 28, 2016
please i need a honest reply, can a 1.5kva power 2 lcd tvs, 2 desktop computers and fan with 2 energy saving bulbs?
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by timifakay(m): 8:00am On Apr 29, 2016
charlesbailey:
please i need a honest reply, can a 1.5kva power 2 lcd tvs, 2 desktop computers and fan with 2 energy saving bulbs?
It would power them, check the Watt rating on each of the devices and add up.
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by charlesbailey(m): 8:58am On Apr 29, 2016
ok, thanks a lot.
timifakay:

It would power them, check the Watt rating on each of the devices and add up.

1 Like

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by miqos02(m): 11:28am On Apr 30, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

It depends on the capacity. I installed a1.1kva sine wave inverter and 1 200AH battery in my house in late January. It powers all my energy-saving bulbs, 2 ceiling fans, TV, DVD, laptop. But not fridge or freezer nor electrical iron. Inclusive of wiring and installation costs, I paid N80k.
Waiting for my landlady to give me approval to add my 2 solar panels on the roof soon.
pls upload pics of the whole set up
Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:45pm On Apr 30, 2016
miqos02:
pls upload pics of the whole set up

That's the picture. As I mentioned, it's very rudimentary and you could start small. After installing may solar panels + charge controller to this, I will add another battery (if I can afford it grin). For now, my 2.5kva Firman generator set charges the battery back fully in about 7/8 hours (but I make sure never to deplete it more than about 70%) which I spread over 2 days + if there is zero Phcn. Else, it charges for less time to 100% full charge.

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by timifakay(m): 1:38am On May 01, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

That's the picture. As I mentioned, it's very rudimentary and you could start small. After installing may solar panels + charge controller to this, I will add another battery (if I can afford it grin). For now, my 2.5kva Firman generator set charges the battery back fully in about 7/8 hours (but I make sure never to deplete it more than about 70%) which I spread over 2 days + if there is zero Phcn. Else, it charges for less time to 100% full charge.
*thumbs up* I guess you bought that size of inverter because it's the size you have in mind for the final set up. That's an economical trick.
Please put an insulator between battery and inverter (very dry wooden board would do) I get scared when I see people just placing the inverter directly on battery, here's what comes to mind: over time the inverter is shifted (as people pass by it or things gently tap it, could take as long as years) till it bridges both terminals of the battery which causes a short circuit...

2 Likes

Re: How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation by miqos02(m): 5:49am On May 01, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

thank u

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Extreme Military Technology: Reason We Must Avoid World War III / This Fish is Able To Kill Snakes & Other Animals While Walking On Land (Video) / Lion Killed In Ngala, Borno State After It Killed Some People And Injured Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.