Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! (6183 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu: 419 Okorocha Belongs To IBB Gay Cult; Killed White Man, Dad Hausa / Saraki, Politicians Queue To Shake Goodluck Jonathan At IBB's Daughter's Wedding / New Photo Of Ibrahim Babangida (IBB) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 4:05am On Apr 27, 2016
Over the course of two years, Lt. Col Nyiam and Major Gideon Orkar were planning the coup. Nyiam saw Orkar as a hot head and a very passionate officer that was ready to die for what he believed in. But knowing the craftiness of the Babangida regime, he pleaded with Orkar and the group of mostly midriff officers to allow him take care of the planning. Nyiam and Orkar devised a very strong encrypted way of recruiting officers. The coup was compartmentalized in such a way that two people might be neighbors and they are part of the coup, but they didn't know. Officers within the force were fiercely loyal to the administration. No one could get by without speaking Hausa. The army hierarchy was all northern, corruption in the force was rife and professionalism jettisoned. Saliba Mukoro came first in the army promotional exam, but he was not sent abroad for the course, instead a northern officer that came 9th was selected. Captain Tolofari, a very brilliant officer was even insulted by his junior and when he punished the officer, he was transferred to a smaller unit meant for someone lower than him. The northern officers were so undisciplined that they had the right to disobey superiors and nothing could happen, as long as that superior is not northern. Their attitude gave them the nickname ‘’Junior AFRC’’ A term that was taken from Armed Forces Ruling Council. To show their power. Being close to Babangida, Nyiam started planning the coup. Orkar started organizing things in Ojo from a distance. The soldiers planned the coup to the letter without being discovered. A date was set, April 28th 1990. Then Lieutenant colonel Nyiam decided that they needed support from the Lagos state administrator, Brigadier Raji Rasaki. He went to General Rasaki and after the two had a meeting, he left in the hope that Rasaki’s troops would stand down when H-hour arrived. Unsure of Raji Rasaki, Nyiam ordered one of his boys to tail Rasaki. Rasaki was tailed and he did not disappoint. He drove straight to Ikoyi and entered Dodan. This happened on April 21 1990. Immediately, Nyiam contacted Orkar and told him the coup must be executed immediately, to avoid the Vatsa situation. They sent for ex service men that were recruited into the plot. they came all the way from Bendel and other parts of the east. Then, Mukoro leveraging his partnership with Great Ogboru assembled them in Ogboru’s depot in the guise of training them to be security men. He did not tell them they will be participating in a coup. Meanwhile, Nyiam went to the government house in Dodan, he removed the firing pins from the from the T72 Russian tanks and sized up the security detail, while alerting lieutenant Uchendu that H-hour was now that night.

The ex service men, armed with some AK 47, went to Apapa military depot and seized the armory. They then arrived Ojo cantonment where Mukoro was and that was where the mastery of the coup was displayed. The Officer in charge of the armory was in a party and he was called by an officer that wanted to show him a girl outside. He went joyfully, only to receive the beating of his life and the keys to the armory collected from him and he was tied. Routine was well studied by the plotters in Ojo, so, most of the people that could have defended the base were arrested with their pants down or on top of a woman. With Ojo down, the team moved towards Ikoyi and Costaine. Signals Mile two was Ignored because they knew that they needed men for the fight in Dodan and they had hoped that Babangida too would have been arrested pants down. The men moved swiftly, but their stealth movement was blown open too early, when a soldier on guard at the gate, finished the bullet in his magazine with one burst before fleeing into the bush. Babangida heard it and asked U.K Bello to go check it out. Once Bello was outside, the revolutionaries were just a pole away. He quickly entered the tank and tried to engage, but the firing pin was off, then, all hell was let lose. It rained bullets on Dodan. Bello was killed and the base was seized. How Babangida escaped is still a mystery. While people think there is an underground tunnel at Dodan, I have been there and there is nothing like that. I still personally believe Babangida disappeared with a charm.

After destroying Dodan and not getting hold of IBB, the boys had simultaneously taken the Radio Nigeria complex Ikoyi and Bonny camp. Major Gideon Orkar was already giving the speech. The group then had to divide themselves. One group to flag house, another to Ikeja cantonement. At Ikeja, the ferocity of the arrival of the revolutionaries was just total horrow. Brigadier Ishaya Bamaiyi, the commander of the armored base ran into the bush behind in shock. But just before they could get into the armored shed, they ran low on ammunition and the fight became almost a stalemate there. The people that were supposed to supply ammunition were caught up in the euphoria that the coup was already a success since Dodan was destroyed. They failed to make that one more reinforcement move of ammunition while the government was still confused and without leadership.

In Ikoyi, Abacha was having sex in his guest house, but still they could not find him. Again, I suspect juju. After the boys left flag house and rushed to join their colleagues to take Ikeja base, Sani Abacha came out. He ordered his son to drive him out. He armed himself with an Uzzi sub machine gun and he bravely moved to Signals mile two and from there Abacha started making contacts to all military units around the country. Once Abacha saw that the coup wasn’t Nationwide, he first ordered the armored division Ibadan to proceed to Lagos. Then he started contacting bases in Lagos. He was planning how to leave Lagos and fight back in because he thought Ikeja was down already, then he contacted Ikeja and they were under siege. He ordered Bamaiyi to defend the base at all cost. Northern officers, after hearing a part of Orkar’s speech where determined more than ever to maintain the status quo. Those that would have normally been passive, threw their weight against the coup.
By this time, it was almost 5 am and Nigerians were visibly jubilating. Bamaiyi was able to turn the tide and just as he was doing that, Dangiwa Umar took Bonnie camp too. The amored unit proceeded to Dodan and some to Ojo. Fighting erupted at Orile and they were there exchanging gunfire. The situation kept getting worse for the revolutionaries, as reinforcement after reinforcement kept coming in for the government side. Orkar held the radio station despite being outnumbered and outgunned. He kept fighting with his boys. Apapa base was then taken by government forces. Nyiam knew by this time that the coup had failed. Although Nigerians supported them, they were betrayed by the excitement of people that thought destroying Dodan meant the coup succeeded. Nyiam and co decided to escape, they walked through communities and shanty towns. People were giving them water to drink, helping them with canoe rides across the lagoon. Soldiers even saw them and told them to march along. Meanwhile Orkar was defiant. He refused to escape. He fought on till he ran out of ammunition and he was captured.
Did the Orkar coup fail? No. That coup did one thing. It put fear into the heart of the north and it made people see Babangida as a human being again. Before April 22 1990, IBB was a demi god. After April 22, IBB became humble. The northern oligarchy knew they must reform things if they are to survive. Babangida ran away from Lagos because of a comment made by one of the revolutionaries before execution. ‘’Our juniors will do even more, you all must be removed. The fear of that coup made it possible that no dictator was ever comfortable on that sit anymore. It also marked the rise of Sani Abacha

Today, being the 26th anniversary of that coup, I want to honor the men that fought against the machination of the evil ones in Nigeria. The men that took it upon themselves to correct the ills of our society. We remember you all today soldiers of valor. Forever in our heart, soldiers of honor:
Major Gideon Gwaza Orkar
Captain N Harley Empere
Captain Perebo A Dakolo
Capt AA Nonju
Lt. AE Akogun
Lt. CN Odey
Lt. Cyril O Ozualor
Lt. NEO Deji
2/Lt AB Umukoro
2/Lt EJ Ejesuku
SSgt Julius Itua
Sgt Martins Ademokhai
Sgt. Pius Ilegar
WO2 Monday Bayefa
L/Cpl Francis Ogo
L/Cpl Jepta Inesei
Cpl. Sunday Effiong
L/Cpl Sam Mbakwe
L/Cpl Albert Ojerangbe
L/Cpl Godfrey Deesiiyira
L/Cpl Emma Oyemolan
Sgt. Stephen Iyeke
Cpl. Joseph Efe
WO Afolabi Moses
L/Cpl Idowu Azeez
WO Jonathan Ekini
S/Sgt Solomon Okungbowa
Private Richard Iseghoei
Private Egwolo Makpamekun
L/Cpl Edogamen Friday
S/Sgt Jolly Agbodowi
Sgt. Etim Umoh
L/Cpl Sam Obasuyi
Ex. Serviceman LC Otajareiri
Ex. Pvt Osazuwa Osifo
Ex. Pvt CP Wasiu Lawal
Ex. Pvt Peter Unuyoma
Ex. Pvt Synalman Goodluck Emefe
Ex. S/Sgt Samson Idegere
Pvt. Emmanuel Onoje
Trooper Roland Odogu
Corporal Lateef Awolola
Pvt. Dickson Omenka
Corp Ehietan Pius
Private Iroabuchi Anyalewechi
Private Henry Eguaoyi
L/Cpl Martins Odey
L/Cpl Sunday Asuquo
Trooper Celestine Ofuoku
Pvt. Anthony Korie
Pvt Thomas Angor
Pvt Edem Basi
Pvt Joseph Odey
Trooper Obioma Esiworo
L/C Magnus Ekechi
WO2 Godwin Donkon
Sgt. Ojo Adegboyega
Pvt Peter Abua
Pvt. Phillip Akamkpo
Sgt. Shehu Onleje
Corp Olanrewaju Ogunshola
L/Cpl Luka Yang
Trooper Malkily Ayogu
L/Cpl Andrew Onah
Michael Ebeku

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by Dannieln1: 4:42am On Apr 27, 2016
Where are the NA come and see what your ogas at the top did
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by freeDR(m): 5:04am On Apr 27, 2016
Brave men!
Coups are not for the fainthearted!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by Histrings08(m): 6:23am On Apr 27, 2016
These are Gallant men that knew what they were doing... IBB said if Nigeria army can av 6 soldiers as brave as Gideon okar, noin go do naija...

2 Likes

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by patchsk(f): 6:25am On Apr 27, 2016
We need it most now; a coup.
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 6:28am On Apr 27, 2016
patchsk:
We need it most now; a coup.

Abeg we don't, we jst need to sanitize d system dts all. The Okar coup changed the d Military especially the Army. because pple thot the hausas wer untouchable bt dt coup proved otherwise. Dis made IBB to change the way other tribes are being treated in d military at dt tym, up till nw.

6 Likes

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 6:30am On Apr 27, 2016
Histrings08:
These are Gallant men that knew what they were doing... IBB said if Nigeria army can av 6 soldiers as brave as Gideon okar, noin go do naija...

He (Okar) gav his life for us tday in the military. Imagine wat we wuld hv passed through had it been that coup never took place.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by Jaymaxxy(m): 6:39am On Apr 27, 2016
Going by what I read in the book Soldiers of Fortune, Okar coup, just like other coups in Nigeria , was more of personal and ethnic interest than that national interest. All the same, RIP gallant soldiers!
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 6:44am On Apr 27, 2016
Jaymaxxy:
Going by what I read in the book Soldiers of Fortune, Okar coup, just like other coups in Nigeria , was more of personal and ethnic interest than that national interest. All the same, RIP gallant soldiers!

Back den d hausas in d military controlled d military as if it was built by their hands! Bt nothing of such exist nw though!

1 Like

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by ki02020(m): 6:51am On Apr 27, 2016
They were from the once united southern NIgeria embarassed

7 Likes

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by Almajiri1: 6:59am On Apr 27, 2016
Are there still honorable men left in today's military? Now is the right time to stand up and rescue their fatherland. Our today's politicians are the REAL boko harem and Fulani militias combined.
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 8:31am On Apr 27, 2016
ki02020:
They were from the once united southern NIgeria embarassed

Dont get u, was der ever a region lik dt?
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 8:33am On Apr 27, 2016
Almajiri1:
Are there still honorable men left in today's military? Now is the right time to stand up and rescue their fatherland. Our today's politicians are the REAL boko harem and Fulani militias combined.

Der r, ethnic sentiments can nt b d way it ones was dos days. because it will result a military revolution. Nw d Army has bn sanitized to a certain level i think.
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by blackfase(m): 8:56am On Apr 27, 2016
Real heroes of this contraption called Nigeria. I personally believed and still believe this coup wouldv been a real catalyst for a brand new Nigeria or leveraging grounds for balance of power. Only God knows why that coup didn't sail thru. He knows best. Meanwhile, rest on real & gallant soldiers, not the beasts we have trolling on the streets today that revel in harassing hapless " bloody civilians"

2 Likes

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by sinkhole: 9:13am On Apr 27, 2016
But we all read how one Uchendu allowed IBB to escape, the Uchendu said it himself. So what is this article insinuating again by saying IBB disappeared mysteriously?

this is the post on Uchendu
www.nairaland.com/3063967/26-years-after-orkas-coup/1#44964393

1 Like

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by Nobody: 9:16am On Apr 27, 2016
DonBobes:

Saliba Mukoro came first in the army promotional exam, but he was not sent abroad for the course, instead a northern officer that came 9th was selected. Captain Tolofari, a very brilliant officer was even insulted by his junior and when he punished the officer, he was transferred to a smaller unit meant for someone lower than him. The northern officers were so undisciplined that they had the right to disobey superiors and nothing could happen, as long as that superior is not northern. Their attitude gave them the nickname ‘’Junior AFRC’’ A term that was taken from Armed Forces Ruling Council.

I wish the coup was successful. The Hausa/Fulanis would have been completely stripped of their born to rule mentality. The bastards believe Nigeria is an inheritance of the ancestors.

3 Likes

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 27, 2016
We need this people to visit the National Assembly .. During senate session
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by ki02020(m): 9:28am On Apr 27, 2016
DonBobes:

Dont get u, was der ever a region lik dt?

Too bad if you were actually expecting me to start mentioning SW SS SE undecided
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 9:29am On Apr 27, 2016
ki02020:

Too bad if you were actually expecting me to start metioning SW SS SE undecided

lipsrsealed
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by Nobody: 9:36am On Apr 27, 2016
What's funny is the Northerners never believed that a coup could sprang up from the Middle belt. They were too busy focusing on the Igbos to prevent another Nzeogwu not knowing the middlebelt are also human with conscience and saw the inequality in the system. These were days when junior officers were respected by senior officers because of their bravery! Today the junior officers will rather beat up civilians ironically as I read above when the coup failed civilians were giving Okar's boys free food and water, even helping them to escape. Not with this today's wicked junior officers that assault civilians for no reason. Let me tell you, if you guys try coup eh and I see you hiding...I'LL EXPOSE YOU! You are not worth protecting. Back then junior officers respected civilians; likewise the civilians saw them as their last hope!

I strongly believe moving the seat power from Lagos to Abuja was the panacea to ending the incessant coups. Abuja then...1990-2000 was practically isolated, very difficult to move troops without being spotted. Best military decision IBB ever made...ended decades of coup d'etat!

8 Likes

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 27, 2016
sinkhole:
But we all read how one Uchendu allowed IBB to escape, the Uchendu said it himself. So what is this article insinuating again by saying IBB disappeared mysteriously?

this is the post on Uchendu
www.nairaland.com/3063967/26-years-after-orkas-coup/1#44964393

I believe there was a stealth/secret tunnel in that barrack linked to a civilian house near-by.
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 9:50am On Apr 27, 2016
Zoharariel:

I wish the coup was successful. The Hausa/Fulanis would have been completely stripped of their born to rule mentality. The bastards believe Nigeria is an inheritance of the ancestors.

D army is nt wat it used to b dos days bliv. Thins hv changed +ly.
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 9:51am On Apr 27, 2016
uduak2016:

I believe there was a stealth/secret tunnel in that barrack linked to a civilian house near-by.

Bt a partaker said der was none as at dt tym.
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by naptu2: 9:57am On Apr 27, 2016
Hahahahahahahahahaha

There was no "charm".

State House Ribadu Road (aka Dodan Barracks) has three gates: The Ribadu Road gate, the Obalende Road gate and the Ikoyi Road gate. The coupists attacked from the Ikoyi Road gate (the usual gate that coupists use because it's close to the radio station). Babangida was driven out of the complex in a 504 via the Ribadu Road gate. I was very close to that place at that time and I know someone that was actually with him (that person was captured and badly beaten by the coupists).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by sinkhole: 9:57am On Apr 27, 2016
uduak2016:

haha, did you read the post I pointed to? Uchendu said he saw IBB escaped in a 504 car but he did not shoot because he wanted to capture IBB alive. The same Uchendu mentioned in this article by OP!
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by naptu2: 10:05am On Apr 27, 2016
That day was surreal. I've been trying to forget it, but I can't. You won't believe that a full scale battle was raging on one street, while there was complete peace a few streets away. I actually saw some boys playing football on that day (this was just a few metres away from Dodan Barracks. To some people in Obalende it was like a movie. There was no fighting on Awolowo Road (until late in the evening), while Ikoyi, Obalende and Keffi streets (especially Ikoyi Road) were war zones.

There were explosions from 3 places, Broadcasting House, Dodan Barracks and Bonny Camp. It was like a triangle! Meanwhile, in the middle of this battle, my vendor actually delivered the papers as he does every day.

5 Likes

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 1:39pm On Apr 27, 2016
uduak2016:

I strongly believe moving the seat power from Lagos to Abuja was the panacea to ending the incessant coups. Abuja then...1990-2000 was practically isolated, very difficult to move troops without being spotted. Best military decision IBB ever made...ended decades of coup d'etat!

I think dt was FCT was moved to Abuja.
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 1:43pm On Apr 27, 2016
naptu2:
Hahahahahahahahahaha

There was no "charm".

State House Ribadu Road (aka Dodan Barracks) has three gates: The Ribadu Road gate, the Obalende Road gate and the Ikoyi Road gate. The coupists attacked from the Ikoyi Road gate (the usual gate that coupists use because it's close to the radio station). Babangida was driven out of the complex in a 504 via the Ribadu Road gate. I was very close to that place at that time and I know someone that was actually with him (that person was captured and badly beaten by the coupists).

Oh man u go old oh. shocked

R u a battack boy or wat wer u back den since u happened to witness it first hand,
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by dfrost: 3:35pm On Apr 27, 2016
blackfase:
Real heroes of this contraption called Nigeria. I personally believed and still believe this coup wouldv been a real catalyst for a brand new Nigeria or leveraging grounds for balance of power. Only God knows why that coup didn't sail thru. He knows best. Meanwhile, rest on real & gallant soldiers, not the beasts we have trolling on the streets today that revel in harassing hapless " bloody civilians"

I guess Orkar and Nzeogwu were trying to sanitize Nigeria via their coups but somehow, it was hijacked. By who? I don't know but like I said I guess. Dead men don't tell tales else we would have questioned their motives. DonBobes nice analysis. These stories need to be told so our younger generation can learn from history. "The tree of liberty should be watered with the blood of patriots and villians alike..." unquote

4 Likes

Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by dfrost: 3:37pm On Apr 27, 2016
JideJamez:
We need this people to visit the National Assembly .. During senate session

cheesy grin guy you dey vex reach like this ni?
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by DonBobes(m): 3:40pm On Apr 27, 2016
dfrost:

I guess Orkar and Nzeogwu were trying to sanitize Nigeria via their coups but somehow, it was hijacked. By who? I don't know but like I said I guess. Dead men don't tell tales else we would have questioned their motives. DonBobes nice analysis. These stories need to be told so our younger generation can learn from history. "The tree of liberty should be watered with the blood of patriots and villians alike..." unquote

Even though technically coup failed bt d motive & reasons for d attempt made d military hierarchy to hv a change of heart towards their subordinates from other tribes.
Re: Okar Coup Anniversary: IBB Disappeared with Charm! by dfrost: 3:43pm On Apr 27, 2016
naptu2:
That day was surreal. I've been trying to forget it, but I can't. You won't believe that a full scale battle was raging on one street, while there was complete peace a few streets away. I actually saw some boys playing football on that day (this was just a few metres away from Dodan Barracks. To some people in Obalende it was like a movie. There was no fighting on Awolowo Road (until late in the evening), while Ikoyi, Obalende and Keffi streets (especially Ikoyi Road) were war zones.

There were explosions from 3 places, Broadcasting House, Dodan Barracks and Bonny Camp. It was like a triangle! Meanwhile, in the middle of this battle, my vendor actually delivered the papers as he does every day.

Osé naptu2 I dey vex with you right now angry. You sabi all these matter you no come right the story. Not fair nah. Abeg begin jot some things wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Have To Completely Delegitimise Corruption, Vp Osinbajo Says / Post-UTME: We Have No Problem With Our Server - UNIBEN / Anambra Retirees Threaten Hunger Strike Over Unpaid Gratuities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.