Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,295 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

How To End A Marriage In Nigeria - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To End A Marriage In Nigeria (20804 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / The Little Things That Determine The Success Of A Marriage. / Things Never To Do When You End A Relationship. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by davidif: 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2009
CHILD CUSTODY
The children stay with the father coz. . . well coz he IS there father. (Duh!!)

ha ha ha, that is sooooooooo true, make my wife come take my pikin, i go break him hand he he he.

1 Like

Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 8:06pm On Aug 18, 2009
davidif:

ha ha ha, that is sooooooooo true, make my wife come take my pikin, i go break him hand he he he.

The child stays with the mother in a developed world, or where the mother can take care of them, stays with the father
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by TmeD0(m): 1:28am On Aug 19, 2009
so u wan know how to end a marriage in naija ehn? 

ok, that's simple, just tell her to pack all her bags and baggage comot for ya house (regardless weda na both of una build the house together) go hin papa and mama house but leave ya children.  yes, naija man no dey take hin children play o.

and if she no wan gree go, switch to plan B, which is: go carry anoda ayounge bring come waya for house and still poshu am after you finish dey waya.

if that one still no work, just throw all her bags and baggage for street and call olopa make dem come follow you poshu her comot while ya ayounge looks on. 

wetin be court for naija; court ko, magistrate ni.  who get time waste money go court for naija say becos hin wan divorce when you fit take law for ya own hands.  abi no be naija we dey talk?  **hisses** abeg, make i hia word o jare.

1 Like

Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by rubi(f): 1:48am On Aug 19, 2009
I have being reading ppls post and I can't stop laughing especially this one
T@meD0:

ok, that's simple, just tell her to pack all her bags and baggage comot for ya house (regardless weda na both of una build the house together) go hin papa and mama house but leave ya children. yes, naija man no dey take hin children play o.

and if she no wan gree go, switch to plan B, which is: go carry anoda ayounge bring come waya for house and still poshu am after you finish dey waya.

if that one still no work, just throw all her bags and baggage for street and call olopa make dem come follow you poshu her comot while ya ayounge looks on.

wetin be court for naija; court ko, magistrate ni. who get time waste money go court for naija say becos hin wan divorce when you fit take law for ya own hands. abi no be naija we dey talk? **hisses** abeg, make i hia word o jare.

Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by infortune(m): 8:22am On Aug 19, 2009
Theblessed:

Hi Baby

Afterall, who made these girls pregnant in the first place?  Is not Nigerian men?  Now, you can see their DOUBLE STANDARD!

hi theblessed, how can you say who made them pregnant? it was not rape was it? the girl & the boy (the nigerian man) got their freak on and enjoyed themselves that day. it was mututal love that led to it so pls dont make it look as if d girl was a dunce or dumb or helpless when they were in the act.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 4:31pm On Aug 19, 2009
T@meD0:

ok, that's simple, just tell her to pack all her bags and baggage comot for ya house (regardless weda na both of una build the house together) go hin papa and mama house but leave ya children.  yes, naija man no dey take hin children play o.

wetin be court for naija; court ko, magistrate ni.  who get time waste money go court for naija say becos hin wan divorce when you fit take law for ya own hands.  abi no be naija we dey talk?  **hisses** abeg, make i hia word o jare.

Scary but true
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by TmeD0(m): 7:17am On Aug 20, 2009
rubi:

I have being reading ppls post and I can't stop laughing especially this one

abi i lie?

Fhemmmy:

Scary but true

yep, it's been like that from get-go in naija.  sad but true.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 5:11pm On Aug 20, 2009
T@meD0:

abi i lie?

yep, it's been like that from get-go in naija.  sad but true.

There is a need for a change
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Eaglebabe: 8:09pm On Aug 20, 2009
U never marry u come dey plan divorce nna na wa ooooo shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked I pity ur wife to be.If l know her l go warn am.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by chisommy: 4:37pm On Aug 22, 2009
infortune:

hi theblessed, how can you say who made them pregnant? it was not rape was it? the girl & the boy (the nigerian man) got their freak on and enjoyed themselves that day. it was mututal love that led to it so pls dont make it look as if d girl was a dunce or dumb or helpless when they were in the act.
true dat!
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Utaroz(m): 4:09pm On Sep 30, 2009
@Poster: Seems like you wish to consider the best and worst case scenarios of the union before saying "I Do, " cheesy Talk about being proactive! grin

My advice is to simply marry a good person who you are presently compatible with, and stick it out. Life is too brutish & short in naija to consider compounding it with more than one marriage (for those that believe in one man-one wife) grin Becomes worse if the kids have already arrived!

The challenges of a second wife, with the kids of the first marriage, may prove more worrisome than the marital squabbles you may have had!

However, in extreme cases, one simply has to return the lady to her people and get a lawyer to sort out the legal details.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by aonom(m): 9:02pm On Nov 11, 2009
grin na wah. We men hash for nija sha, Well i have seen all comments made on this topic and i appreciate each and every post on this topic. I have had some time to dwell on it, and my conclusion is not to get a divorce. I have a very wonderful partner presently and the sky is the limit. Thanks to you all once again and God bless!! kiss
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by chika98: 9:11pm On Nov 11, 2009
He throws your things out and you move back home to stay with your parents. After persuading you to go back home; it becomes impossible as it keeps happening all the time. At some point, you'll just move back and never go back.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 9:22pm On Nov 11, 2009
chika98:

He throws your things out and you move back home to stay with your parents. After persuading you to go back home; it becomes impossible as it keeps happening all the time. At some point, you'll just move back and never go back.

Never seen it live, but seen a lot on the Movie
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by chika98: 9:24pm On Nov 11, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Never seen it live, but seen a lot on the Movie

Back in the day, folks never really signed a divorce paper. They just move out and never see each other again.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 9:25pm On Nov 11, 2009
So that means there are many married people and yet dem no know say they are still married

1 Like

Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by chika98: 9:27pm On Nov 11, 2009
Fhemmmy:

So that means there are many married people and yet dem no know say they are still married

This person mama and papa are no longer together everyone will say. But did they actually go to court to officially divorce? 9 times out of 10. . the answer to that is NO
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 9:28pm On Nov 11, 2009
i blv you, i just think of the effect of this in the future, cos it means so many people are married in the eyes of the law and yet parading themselves as being single.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by chika98: 9:30pm On Nov 11, 2009
There you go! This generation however are divorcing like the speed of light.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 9:31pm On Nov 11, 2009
chika98:

There you go! This generation however are divorcing like the speed of light.

And it is just the beginning, cos many pple have no clue what marriage is all about
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by chika98: 9:33pm On Nov 11, 2009
Fhemmmy:

And it is just the beginning, cos many pple have no clue what marriage is all about

Yup. You rush right in and you will also rush out. A lot of folks have unrealistic ideologies about marriage. Oh well such is life. Everyone isn't going to have a happy marriage like they hoped. Life happens and sometimes things go south.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 9:39pm On Nov 11, 2009
chika98:

Yup. You rush right in and you will also rush out. A lot of folks have unrealistic ideologies about marriage. Oh well such is life. Everyone isn't going to have a happy marriage like they hoped. Life happens and sometimes things go south.

very true.
But how do u think this can change?
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by chika98: 9:48pm On Nov 11, 2009
Fhemmmy:

very true.
But how do u think this can change?

I cannot tell you for a fact how but I know it starts at home with our parents and elders. Friends and people we surround ourselves with. A woman has got to know her place and be able to balance both. It starts at home I believe. Others opinions might differ.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 9:51pm On Nov 11, 2009
It could start from home, but it is time for women to try to do all it takes to make their home aiight as well as the man do all it takes to make his home well.
I wonder how the marriages of the people of those days were able to last, is it possible that it was all due to fear and cos the woman cant even talk, or is it cos of more women in the house as wives?
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 5:36am On Nov 12, 2009
Now this is an unfortunate thread
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by aonom(m): 7:53am On Nov 12, 2009
@rasputinn: why would you make such a remark!! It's really unfortunate that majority of the current generation do not know what being married is all about. cry
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 3:48pm On Nov 12, 2009
aonom:

@rasputinn: why would you make such a remark!! It's really unfortunate that majority of the current generation do not know what being married is all about. cry

And it doesnt seems to be changing for better
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by coolier(f): 11:00pm On Nov 16, 2009
@ poster

Move away from each other. Live apart. Separate.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 5:09am On Nov 17, 2009
coolier:

@ poster

Move away from each other. Live apart. Separate.

They are still married with such.
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by medube(m): 10:27pm On Sep 14, 2010
Hi all (especially my brothers and sisters wey dey practice Law),

At the moment, my marriage has broken down (sadly). I have decided to move back to Naija and my wife is still out of the country where we have lived for close to 3 years. Before my coming down to Naija, my wife had moved out of the house with the kids to another apartment, for the last 3 months or so. I didn't challenge this as I was in a strange land and besides didn't want to hang more dirty laundry in the open, being we were strangers in a foreign land.

Now I came back with the kids to Nigeria to make them their passports as they were on their mother's passports. I have decided to remain in Nigeria. I also never approved or liked the environment which the children were subjected to live in because of their mother's selfish reasons. Therefore, I have decided to keep the kids and start them in school here in Naija, their home. I have informed their mother that I am not depriving her of her kids, but if she wants to see them, she should come down to Naija as they are not coming back to the other end.

Someone told me that according to Nigerian law, the guardianship of a child is under the father until custody is otherwise awarded. Is this true? I also came across the following extract on the net at the following URL http://travel.state.gov/abduction/country/country_5077.html:

"GENERAL INFORMATION: Nigeria is not a party to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, nor are there any international or bilateral treaties in force between Nigeria and the United States dealing with international parental child abduction. American citizens who travel to Nigeria are subject to the jurisdiction of Nigerian courts, as well as to the country's laws and regulations. American citizens planning a trip to Nigeria with dual national children should bear this in mind.

Generally speaking, statutory and customary law in the southern region of Nigeria dictates that children are under the guardianship of their father. Absent a custody order, the father is given priority. To determine competency in a custody dispute, a court may take into consideration the financial and moral status of both parents, as well as any allegations of criminal behavior. A mother may gain custody of her children if her situation is proven to be more stable and competent than the father’s. This decision is made during a formal court process. Even when the mother’s overall situation is stronger than the father’s, the court may decide that placing the children with the father’s family (usually immediate family such as parents or siblings) is a more appropriate application of the law and in the children’s best interests. "

Can this be confirmed by any of my legally learned friends? The most important thing is I want to protect my children. I know you might be wondering what I am protecting them from, but this is something I cannot disclose here as it is a TABOO according to our cultures and tradition.

Thanks
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by toaspromo(m): 11:12am On Sep 15, 2010
there is no reason to end a marriage even divorce is irritating to God if the couple can understand that the major reason they married is not just have a child but also to fulfill the devine law as order by God all they need to do is continue to pray for God's blessing for every situation there is a reason and it si best known to God
so let them stick together and 4ever
Re: How To End A Marriage In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 8:03pm On Sep 15, 2010
toaspromo:

there is no reason to end a marriage even divorce is irritating to God if the couple can understand that the major reason they married is not just have a child but also to fulfill the devine law as order by God all they need to do is continue to pray for God's blessing for every situation there is a reason and it si best known to God
so let them stick together and 4ever

Divorce is irritating to God?

You know that?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do some Men Beat Their Wives? / Save Me Before My Police Husband Kills Me, Wife Cries Out / Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.