Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,384 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? (9274 Views)

Photo: What A South African Said About Nigerian Pastors / Pope US Visit Proves Nigerian Pastors Wrong!!! / Nigerian Pastors Who Hate Themselves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by joftech(m): 12:38am On Nov 16, 2005
I used to wonder how with the number of churches in Nigeria why we still wallow is the endless abyss of corruption, poverty, self-centeredness and other uncountable societal ills.

At times what some pastors preach on television are so nauseating that they make me wonder where they are getting their purported inspirations from.

Some of these pastors will readily say we need prayer and that our sins are too many no matter what national issues are brought up. What most of them preach really shows they don’t even know what’s really going on in the outside world.

In the USA the liberation of the blacks started in the churches, why can’t Nigerians liberation start in all these churches, or do the pastors fear a crackdown on their churches if they preach revolution instead of all the unattainable prosperity sham they are churning out.

Why must the prophet in the land continue to lie to the people?
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Seun(m): 1:22am On Nov 16, 2005
What revolution are you talking about?
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by joftech(m): 5:56am On Nov 16, 2005
They must make Nigerians realise that they are the only one who can save themselves from all the unending and untold hardships our leaders have subjected us into.

The revolution i have been advocating is not going to be the violent types that some people are so accustomed to, we could have the type (orange revolution) that swept off the former leader (Viktor Yanukovych) in Ukraine from power recently.

We must make these politicians know that power really belongs to the common man.

If pastors can tell their church members that their key to unlimited wealth is in government hands then church members will know how to demand for it vehemently instead of feeling unconcerned about what's going wrong with the country today.

Pastors can even start political parties, in some European countiries we have parties like The Christian Democrats, etc.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Ajisafe: 5:58am On Nov 16, 2005
We know of the firmly established, and traditionally ecclesiastic churches but, over the years, thousands of mushroom ones have sprung up. Maybe the revolution should be about closing down these "new era" establishments and give the real churches chance to preach the truth.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by joftech(m): 6:51am On Nov 16, 2005
I don't really think the new churches should be closed down. They can continue to preach what they are preaching but they should stop deceiving Nigerians into thinking that God will rain money from the sky for them.Some will go around town and organize crusades that are more or less fund-raising events.

The United States Civil Rights Movement started in the churches because that's the major meeting point for the blacks. In the US the Republican party don't joke with the votes of the evangelicals and these peoples (televangelist, etc) are one of the most strongest lobby group.

They should try and make their teachings relevant in todays world, not some historical teachings that has no impact or effect on what the masses are going through today. Teaching people what happened in Corinth in the days of Paul does not have direct application with what is happening in Ajegunle(Lagos) today.

If they failed to do this, i can see what happened in the western churches happening here.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Seun(m): 12:23pm On Nov 16, 2005
Joftech, can you please summarize your point in one or two sentences? Thanks.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by joftech(m): 12:58pm On Nov 16, 2005
when pastors say people should seek super-natural windfalls where is the windfall going to come from. Even the Bible said faith without work is dead. When you pray to God for financial breakthroughs and the economy you are in is bad i wonder how such wishes will become a reality.

In this modern time the government is more or less the peoples god, and that's why God himself has put in all these things in place. We must make our politicians utilize all these God given potentials.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by layi(m): 1:08pm On Nov 16, 2005
...and my question to joftech would be "why pastors?"
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Seun(m): 1:35pm On Nov 16, 2005
Joftech, I still don't understand your point. The sumary of your post seems to be, "we must make our politicians utilize these God-given potentials". What God-given potentials are you talking about exactly?
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Ajisafe: 9:26pm On Nov 16, 2005
If you don't think the newly mushroomed churches should be banned then you are of the opinion that they're performing to your expectation, so stop complaining about the excesses of their "pastors."
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by joftech(m): 9:33pm On Nov 16, 2005
...and my question to joftech would be "why pastors?"

Am complaining about pastors because they are the one giving people false hopes.

Joftech, I still don't understand your point. The sumary of your post seems to be, "we must make our politicians utilize these God-given potentials". What God-given potentials are you talking about exactly?

How about our natural resources.

If you don't think the newly mushroomed churches should be banned then you are of the opinion that they're performing to your expectation, so stop complaining about the excesses of their "pastors."

If you close down churches thousands will become jobless.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Ajisafe: 1:09am On Nov 17, 2005

So, it's all about material gains and job creation?
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by joftech(m): 1:43am On Nov 17, 2005
So, it's all about material gains and job creation?

So what else do you think it's all about.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Ajisafe: 2:02am On Nov 17, 2005
Ha! I didn't know that. I thought they truly loved God and did his bidding, regardless.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by joftech(m): 2:32am On Nov 17, 2005
Ha! I didn't know that. I thought they truly loved God and did his bidding, regardless.

If it were so Nigeria won't still be in the mess she is right now.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Ajisafe: 3:29am On Nov 17, 2005
True. You're right, brother.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by raregroove(m): 11:32am On Nov 17, 2005
joftech:

Why must the prophet in the land continue to lie to the people?

Good question, because a lot of my people are so daft & gullible. I do concur with your argument. For my cents worth, education is the key solution...
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Seun(m): 12:01pm On Nov 17, 2005
Joftech, based on your reply to my last post, the summary of this post is, "we must make our politicians utilize our natural resources". Where do the "pastors decieving Nigerians" come in?
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by goodguy(m): 12:39pm On Nov 17, 2005
hmmmm... cool
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by joftech(m): 1:21pm On Nov 17, 2005
Joftech, based on your reply to my last post, the summary of this post is, "we must make our politicians utilize our natural resources". Where do the "pastors decieving Nigerians" come in?

They do by telling us to ignore/not to perticipate in the running of this country.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by otokx(m): 4:13pm On Nov 17, 2005
nigerians are easily gullible so they are easily deceived.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Seun(m): 8:56pm On Nov 17, 2005
joftech: They do by telling us to ignore/not to perticipate in the running of this country.

Do they? I don't think so! In fact, the pastors are known to give special recognition to politicians and other 'big men' in their congragations and encourage them to pay their tithes! wink
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by goodguy(m): 12:01am On Nov 18, 2005
otokx:

nigerians are easily gullible so they are easily deceived.
Not Nigerians, u say HUMAN BEINGS.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by ijebuman(m): 9:12pm On Nov 18, 2005
Na karl marx talk am "Religion is the opium of the masses"

joftech:

The day this happens will be the day a revolution happens in Nigeria

Think about this
"All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of the few." - Stendhal

"Religion is what keeps the poor man from murdering the rich" - Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by raregroove(m): 10:08pm On Nov 18, 2005
ijebuman:

Na karl marx talk am "Religion is the opium of the masses"

The day this happens will be the day a revolution happens in Nigeria

Think about this
"All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of the few." - Stendhal

"Religion is what keeps the poor man from murdering the rich" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Ijebuman, thanks for providing us with a usefull analysis as usual.

"I waka many village anywhere in Africa, pastor's house na im dey fine past, my people dem dey stay for poor suroundings, pastor's dress na im dey clean past, it hard for my people for dem to buy soap, pastor na im dem give respect past & dem dey do baaad baaad things...

I waka many bizness everywhere in Africa, North & South dem get dem policies, 1 Christian & the other 1 Muslim, anywhwere the Moslems dem dey reign, na senior Alhaji na im be director, anywhere the Christians dem dey reign, na the best friend to Bishop na im be director... these money making organisations dem come put we Afrikans into total confusion...."

Fela Anikulapo Kuti

What a powerfull observation by the King of Afro beat....
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by solomon(m): 2:19pm On Nov 21, 2005
To me, only GOD can tell.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by goodguy(m): 7:04pm On Nov 21, 2005
Nigerian pastors aren't deceiving Nigerians.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Ajisafe: 7:18pm On Nov 21, 2005
Goodguy, why are they all rich and you're poor (I don't mean you in particular) -- I mean their flocks?
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by layi(m): 7:30pm On Nov 21, 2005
I'll reshape the question, why do you (flocks) expect the pastor to make you rich and what gives u the impression (illusion) the the flocks are all poor.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Ajisafe: 8:02pm On Nov 21, 2005
The majority of them (flocks) are poor! I remember, in Sanngo, Ibadan, in those days when Obadare would lock the whole place down for months, saying that he was doing "deliverance." We would go there to watch them -- believe me, my brother, the sight was always unpalatable (destitutes all over; pungent odours -- argh!). On top of this, the Ibadan residents suffered the economic hardship, as every 10kobo coin in Ibadan had found its way inside hundreds of "gorodomu" empty petroleum barrels that Obadare's henchmen had placed in strategic locations in the area. The market women and danfo drivers gave the residents unspeakable hell, as they were ready to blame everything on Pastor Obadare's "gorodomu" empty petroleum barrels. This man did these for years, claiming that he could wake the dead, straighten the lame, and even restore the blind's eyesights. Hmmmm! I think he himself is still blind till date? Charity begins at home! How many lame and blind still roam the streets of Ibadan today after decades of "crusades"? So, tell me, have you ever seen a Muslim preacher in such an unholy situation before? Tell the truth!
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by layi(m): 8:13pm On Nov 21, 2005
I never expected d last statement to come from you. u r insinuating all islamic preachers to be clean. OMG!!
Do you know them all? Did u ordain all of them? That statement is myopic.
I can start mentioning those i've met. I was born into a muclim home and i've met lots of fake alfas,malims,ladans etc. Half baked illiterates who turn the islamic religion into a full time job (make thier living from it). U hear them use vulgar, curse words in their preaching. I wasnt brought up wit vulgarity so how do i hear such sermons. Islam looks pure and uniform but its got nothing to offer (if thats what u wana hear). Morality can be thought at home.
Re: Are Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigerians? by Ajisafe: 8:22pm On Nov 21, 2005
I can start mentioning those i've met. I was born into a muclim home

That's what apostates like you claim. I've heard this so many times!

and i've met lots of fake alfas,malims,ladans etc. Half baked illiterates who turn the islamic religion into a full time job (make their living from it). U hear them use vulgar, curse words in their preaching.

Mention just one popular name just like I did! I even witnessed T.O. Iyanda's antics at Wesley college, Ibadan; what about Abiara of Agbala Itura who, out of his greed to make money, was duped by the "gbajue" the guys who pionered "4-1-9"? Look, we know all about your religion and your so-called "holy men." Don't come here with your "born-again" illusion and deceive us! By the way, my beloved uncle is a Christian, and I love him so dearly. He and I don't talk about religion because he knows.   

NOTE: Mention a popular name, and don't come up with one fake name that we've never heard of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation / Why Most Terrorists Are Muslims. / Why Do Atheists Love Bashing Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.