Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. (1164 Views)

Soft Drinks Not Served At Halima Babangida's Wedding. Reasons For That Revealed / Babangida Sent A Bag Of Money To Buhari In 1988 - Biographer Reveals What He Did / Mr President-help Nitel/mtel Disengaged Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 28, 2016
My aunt has just been disengaged from service from the family school (nursery/primary) she has been a teacher for 28yrs now without reason(s). This school was built by the late blood uncle of this my aunty and when he died, the daughter who is now the proprietress took over the management of the school and this is how the situation turns out to be today. She has served the school diligently always throughout the period. Well, disengagement from service happens everywhere around the globe but the question is "at what condition is someone disengaged and what are his/her entitlements having been disengaged?" This month salary cheque of N19,880 was written to her and that is all. After good 28yrs of active service? My people, what can she do here to make sure this inhumane act is not treated as intended? Of course you all will agree with me she deserves more than this...not after 28yrs of service. If you add 7yrs to that number of service, one is due for retirement and all entitlements/gratuities will be meted out accordingly to the person. In this her case, what has she left with? Of course, she is no longer young to forget everything and start afresh. At this her age, she deserves nothing but good package such that she can use it to start up something if she must be disengaged from work. Is N19k what she needs? What legal case can be taken to put things on track in this situation? Advice needed pls.

Cc: Lalasticlala, seun, mynd44 etc, i respect you all bosses. Justice is needed here.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by Florblu(f): 8:50pm On Apr 28, 2016
#19,880? Is your aunty a corper?
Pardon me pls.....I nothing can be done since it's a private organization
Let her just put her trust in God for survival
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 28, 2016
Florblu:
#19,880? Is your aunty a corper? Pardon me pls.....I nothing can be done since it's a one man biz Let her just put her trust in God for survival
One man business indeed.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 28, 2016
Florblu:
#19,880? Is your aunty a corper? Pardon me pls.....I nothing can be done since it's a one man biz Let her just put her trust in God for survival
One man business indeed.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by kowema(f): 9:08pm On Apr 28, 2016
19,000 for Salary even after 28 years??!!!, Tufiakwa!!!,
That is clear stagnation. The school is clearly backward.

They should have disengaged her like 18 years ago so that she would have invested the years in something else.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by Juxtified(m): 9:11pm On Apr 28, 2016
Godshand:
My aunt has just been disengaged from service from the family school (nursery/primary) she has been a teacher for 28yrs now without reason(s). This school was built by the late blood uncle of this my aunty and when he died, the daughter who is now the proprietress took over the management of the school and this is how the situation turns out to be today. She has served the school diligently always throughout the period. Well, disengagement from service happens everywhere around the globe but the question is "at what condition is someone disengaged and what are his/her entitlements having been disengaged?" This month salary cheque of N19,880 was written to her and that is all. After good 28yrs of active service? My people, what can she do here to make sure this inhumane act is not treated as intended? [s]Of course you all will agree with me she deserves more than this[/s]...not after 28yrs of service. If you add 7yrs to that number of service, one is due for retirement and all entitlements/gratuities will be meted out accordingly to the person. In this her case, what has she left with? Of course, she is no longer young to forget everything and start afresh. At this her age, she deserves nothing [s]but good package such that she can use it to start up something[/s] if she must be disengaged from work. Is N19k what she needs? What legal case can be taken to put things on track in this situation? Advice needed pls.

Cc: Lalasticlala, seun, mynd44 etc, i respect you all bosses. Justice is needed here.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but your aunty kind of deserved to be booted out. I mean, how can one work for a private company for more than half a century, and with the end salary being less than 20k? Is she really that dumb? I wonder what she was even teaching those poor children?

1 Like

Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by doublewisdom: 9:13pm On Apr 28, 2016
Your auntie didn't develop herself at all. 28 years of servitude to her brother with no plans of emancipation? She was comfortably lazy and maybe they felt she wasn't even worth the 19k salary hence the way they treated her.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by Juxtified(m): 9:17pm On Apr 28, 2016
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by nwaanambra1(m): 9:17pm On Apr 28, 2016
28 years of service and they paid her that paltry sum for disengagement! that's the height of man's inhumanity to man!

pls she should sue them to court!

her case might instigate the highly needed wages and pension adjustments and implementations badly needed in the private sector labour laws!

we just cant continue to remain animals in human skin! angry
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by nwaanambra1(m): 9:27pm On Apr 28, 2016
doublewisdom:
[s]Your auntie didn't develop herself at all. She was comfortably lazy and maybe they felt she wasn't even worth the 19k salary hence the way they treated her.[/s]

in other climes, people put in 30 years of service in one organization and are handsomely rewarded thru their pension packages - now are u saying such persons are 'comfortably lazy'? for your info, such people are actually highly appreciated in decent organizations cause they form the bedrock of the success of such organisations!

i am an employer and God knows how i appreciate my employees that put in just 3 whole years of service in my organization and am sincerely looking forward to having people that will work in my organization for 10 years without a 'question mark' i will make sure their retirement will be something to write home about - no mater how bad it is, they must be entitled to their basic salary every month and free comprehensive health insurance for them and their immediate dependents!
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by Juxtified(m): 9:44pm On Apr 28, 2016
nwaanambra1:

[s]sorry to say this - your re a very wicked human!

in other climes, people put in 30 years of service in one organization and are handsomely rewarded thru their pension packages - now are u saying such persons are 'comfortably lazy'? for your info, such people are actually highly appreciated in decent organizations cause they form the bedrock of the success of such organisations!

i am an employer and God knows how i appreciate my employees that put in just 3 whole years of service in my organization and am sincerely looking forward to having people that will work in my organization for 10 years without a 'question mark' i will make sure their retirement will be something to write home about - no mater how bad it is, they must be entitled to their basic salary every month and free comprehensive health insurance for them and their immediate dependents![/s]

When a company doesn't promote you or increase your salary after 2 yrs maximum, especially a private company, they don't really value you. Most cases of termination of employment don't happen overnight. There're usually signs in the way they treat you over the months, years, which your quite could have seen and taken proactive steps.

What was her expectations really? Pension? How much would that have come to per month, maybe half of other salary which is N10,000 per month? Truth be told, your aunty's ambitions are so low that its even enough to fire someone!

1 Like

Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by san316(m): 9:45pm On Apr 28, 2016
Truth be told, your aunt didn't try for herself, she was too complacent and unambitious.

I'm not saying she deserves it because I dunno what's the reason for her sack. All I know is that to make any case, you guys have to refer to her employment letter (that is if there's one) and peruse the terms of employment n disengagement.

Don't be surprised, may be you aunty dey form I too know for them, as per se she b the oldest staff for the school. She'd better go back n beg if that's the case oo.

Or she can use her savings from the 19k salary to open another school.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Apr 28, 2016
san316:
Truth be told, your aunt didn't try for herself, she was too complacent and unambitious.

I'm not saying she deserves it because I dunno what's the reason for her sack. All I know is that to make any case, you guys have to refer to her employment letter (that is if there's one) and peruse the terms of employment n disengagement.

Don't be surprised, may be you aunty dey form I too know for them, as per se she b the oldest staff for the school. She'd better go back n beg if that's the case oo.

Or she can use her savings from the 19k salary to open another school.

She is not the oldest staff there. There are other staff older in service than she and they are still receiving just about same amount of salary. Reason(s) for termination of appointment is/are not stated. I think there's something that can still be done on this to confront the woman.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by Nobody: 5:58am On Apr 29, 2016
Juxtified:

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but your aunty kind of deserved to be booted out. I mean, how can one work for a private company for more than half a century, and with the end salary being less than 20k? Is she really that dumb? I wonder what she was even teaching those poor children?

You may be right though but first, you need to understand there might be reasons why things went that way. This school, especially when she took over has never encouraged one for career growth. Example, if you make attempt to further your education while working, that could earn you a termination letter and as you can see, after working for that long period of time, wouldnt her earning be made better even without asking/applying? I can tell you in this very school, some graduates have worked there for over 30yrs and are earning just the same salary.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by Juxtified(m): 6:57am On Apr 29, 2016
Godshand:

You may be right though but first, you need to understand there might be reasons why things went that way. This school, especially when she took over has never encouraged one for career growth. Example, if you make attempt to further your education while working, that could earn you a termination letter and as you can see, after working for that long period of time, wouldnt her earning be made better even without asking/applying? I can tell you in this very school, some graduates have worked there for over 30yrs and are earning just the same salary.

The school is an evil school. Well, what is done is done, no need to fight them legally or otherwise. If she's not too old, she can look for a cheap flat and start a tutorial centre. She doesn't need much money for that. I'm guessing she can't be less than 50yrs old, so going to enslave herself in another teaching job would just mean she hasn't learnt her lessons.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by san316(m): 7:11am On Apr 29, 2016
Godshand:

She is not the oldest staff there. There are other staff older in service than she and they are still receiving just about same amount of salary. Reason(s) for termination of appointment is/are not stated. I think there's something that can still be done on this to confront the woman.

Nigerian labor laws are not strong enough to help your aunt. You guys can only appeal to those people's sentiments or intimidate them with a lawyer if they are not that knowledgeable.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by itstpia8: 8:09am On Apr 29, 2016
op

I guess your rather obvious point here is school and 1988.
Re: My Aunty Is Disengaged From The School She Served Since 1988. by otokx(m): 8:44am On Apr 29, 2016
A lot of people here just show cased their ignorance, most private schools are small businesses and can barely afford that 19800 that is being paid, the idea is that you use that one to manage while moving onto something more formalized.

Choosing to stay for long period may be because you are getting some extras, who knows if poster aunt is staying in a free accommodation. Nigeria needs a change mentality but it will be hard & that is why corruption fueled by religion still thrives.

(1) (Reply)

Effect Of Subsidy Removal / Avengers....making This Administration Ungovernable. ... / Nigerians React To Planned Strike Action By NLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.