Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,157 members, 7,835,867 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m (20800 Views)

Death Threats For Corpers And INEC Staff Ahead Of Ondo Election (Pic) / Police And INEC Officials Pull Their Shoes Off To Cross Flooded Area In Edo / N23.3billion Bribe: Fidelity Bank, INEC Officials Refund N408.7m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by Deen77: 9:28am On Apr 29, 2016
iliyande:

you are right

to me Democracy to me is not for us the blacks

imagine someone is suffering without food, water, school fees, hospital bills etc but some government officials are busy distributing billions of $ not even N

Democracy is d government of d politician and the judiciary and legislators, for d lawyers and journalist together with political thug.

1 Like

Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by rasheedmalik113: 9:42am On Apr 29, 2016
after court wht es,···?
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by FolorunsoAdeolu: 9:55am On Apr 29, 2016
Efcc is working
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by Bistech(m): 10:04am On Apr 29, 2016
lustychima:
they are already here.......scroll up alittle
Lolz!
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by Teenaira: 10:09am On Apr 29, 2016
TrutforAfrica:

Spot on, sister.
I always tell my friends that democracy is bad for a country that has been damaged to a large degree like ours by the elites. We would do far better off with a good despot who rules according to his good will in power.

The asian tigers are where they are today because they have been ruled over the past 35years by largely autocratic regimes in the guise of democracy.

The solution for Nigeria is for PMB to be as autocratic as much as possible because the destroyers of this country still exercise much control over the courts and the National Assembly.

I can not but agree that all these discovery are cheap propaganda, the present government will do itself a lot of goods if they are a little bit transparent. You can not claim you are making recoveries in trillions every now and then and the economy is dying in a fast mode.

For me, I will be more than happy if these recoveries were actually made but I am sure even our president, Buhari will take news of these recoveries with a pinch of salt. Even if EFCC do not want to prosecute these people, they can get them to write statements and pay at least a percentage of the recovered loot to the federation account with documentary evidence. If invariably we as a country through EFCC could not win at the law courts, we can return back the portion we could not defend to the accused. I am absolutely sure we can't lose 100 percent of these cases in the law courts.

So my advise to government is that if truly these recoveries were being made, let the public know how much then about 25% could be taken out like a soft loan to help the economy which is dying. An economy can only grow if monies are channelled to the right directions. Else, I hold my initial position.
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by onetouch04: 10:29am On Apr 29, 2016
MaziOmenuko:
I said it that #dasuki-gate will be a joke when compared to revelations that will come out of oil probe. The surface hasn't been scratched yet.

Little wonder some madam's have embraced cancer with all their heart.
Hahahahahaha. Instead of #Buharimania, they prefer #Cancermania. I dey laugh oooo
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by Sunnynwa: 10:34am On Apr 29, 2016
AntiIPOB:
You are just pained for nothing,where is senator saraki now? Or can you call that selective justice again?
As for the other people you mention,instead of making unnecessary noise here,why. don't you forward your evidence to the efcc and see if such individuals will not be investigated?

Oh Yea, just like this individual was investigated, abi?

1 Like

Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by Sunnynwa: 10:34am On Apr 29, 2016
Cont'd......

1 Like

Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by Sunnynwa: 10:36am On Apr 29, 2016
The petitioner even submitted the attached affidavit.

1 Like

Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by osita76(m): 10:47am On Apr 29, 2016
odiks:
More arrests are on the way in the probe of the huge cash some oil companies pumped into the failed bid to change the 2015 presidential election results. Some of the cash has been recovered.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested some bankers. It plans to haul in some oil barons who contributed $115m (N23, 299,705,000billion) to bribe some Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) officials. The officials were to alter the results of the election in which President Muhammadu Buhari, the tehn candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) beat then incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan.

The owner of an oil company, Leno Olaitan Adesanya, yesterday reported at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja for interrogation.

He was however asked to go to the commission’s office in Lagos for questioning.

Two others, who have been summoned by the EFCC, were said to have gone underground and incommunicado.

The EFCC has recovered N408.7million from some of the beneficiaries of the slush funds.

Fidelity Bank refunded N49.7million, its profit from the disbursement of the N23.29billion provided by former Minister of Petroleum Resources Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke.

Some former and serving INEC officials in Oyo and Ogun states refunded N359millon.

More officials of INEC were said to have rushed to the EFCC to refund the bribe given to them.
The EFCC team has intensified its investigation into the scandal.

It was learnt that besides INEC officials in the 36 states, the EFCC has invited the owners of the oil firms which contributed $88.35million of the $115million sent to Fidelity Bank by the ex-Minister of Petroleum Resources.

One of the four oil firms implicated in the bribery saga has been linked to former Governor of Delta State, who is serving a jail term in the United Kingdom, James Ibori.

It was gathered that the oil companies were mandated by Mrs Alison-Madueke to part with $88.35million as their contribution to Dr. Jonathan’s campaign.
Some of the oil chiefs were shocked by the findings of the EFCC that their donations were deployed in bribing INEC officials, The Nation learnt.

An EFCC source, who spoke in confidence, said:”Our investigation into the N23.29billion bribe has reached a critical stage. Six teams are working round the clock in all the geopolitical zones.

“The top officials of Fidelity Bank in custody have made statements, including the list of all beneficiaries and bank details of payments made to them.

“We are likely to arrest more suspects, especially the oil chiefs who provided about $88.35million of the $115million lodged in Fidelity Bank for conversion to naira.

“One of the clues we are probing is the likelihood of these funds being laundered by the oil firms and their owners.

“If these clues are proven, they may eventually face trial for money laundering. We will surely interact with these oil magnates.

“Some oil companies are under surveillance for their covert operation in diverting taxes and revenue meant for the Federal Government to fund campaigns. You can now understand why some of them were given tax waivers.”

The source added: “One of the oil chiefs, Leno Olaitan Adesanya, reported at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja but he has been directed to go to the Lagos office.

“We are expecting him for grilling on Friday (today). We have invited other oil chiefs but two of them have gone underground. We will fish them out wherever they are.”
Fidelity Bank and some former and serving officials of INEC have refunded about N408.7million to the EFCC.
While the bank refunded N49.7million, some former and serving INEC officials in Oyo and Ogun states paid back N359millon

A top EFCC source said: “While scrutinizing their records, we discovered that Fidelity Bank made a profit of N49.7million from the disbursement transactions made in all its branches nationwide. The management of the bank on Thursday refunded the profit while we are continuing investigation on other funds.

“Some former and serving INEC officials in Oyo and Ogun have paid back N359million to EFCC. What happened was that while N802m was voted for bribery of INEC officials and NGOs in Oyo State to change presidential poll results, about N629m was dished out in Ogun State,

“But some of these beneficiaries in Oyo and Ogun were suspicious of the sources of the funds. They cooperated and went to the designated Fidelity Bank branches and collected the cash. Instead of spending it, they sought the service of lawyers who advised them to open accounts to keep the cash in case there are issues in the future.

“When this matter came up, the lawyers assisted in locating the funds and the N359million was refunded.

“We are working on other beneficiaries to recover the slush funds.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/n23-3b-bribe-bank-inec-officials-refund-n408-7m/
we're all well aware of the fact that APC funded its campaign through some state governors of which there various states went bankrupt resulting in non payment of workers salaries, former governors like Amechi and fashola contributed humongous amount of money, Aregboshola also committed a lot of Osuns' common wealth that made the state bleed disproportionately and the government of the day turns blind eye to all these atrocities, what a lopsided judgment

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by TrutforAfrica: 11:23am On Apr 29, 2016
Teenaira:

I can not but agree that all these discovery are cheap propaganda, the present government will do itself a lot of goods if they are a little bit transparent. You can not claim you are making recoveries in trillions every now and then and the economy is dying in a fast mode.

For me, I will be more than happy if these recoveries were actually made but I am sure even our president, Buhari will take news of these recoveries with a pinch of salt. Even if EFCC do not want to prosecute these people, they can get them to write statements and pay at least a percentage of the recovered loot to the federation account with documentary evidence. If invariably we as a country through EFCC could not win at the law courts, we can return back the portion we could not defend to the accused. I am absolutely sure we can't lose 100 percent of these cases in the law courts.

So my advise to government is that if truly these recoveries were being made, let the public know how much then about 25% could be taken out like a soft loan to help the economy which is dying. An economy can only grow if monies are channelled to the right directions. Else, I hold my initial position.

I agree with you that more transparency is needed on the side of government and EFCC as these revelations come out. I also understand your concern about the economy, but, there is no way you plow recovered loot straight into the economy through the budget. The government has said it will give a complete breakdown of what has been recovered in the course of the year. What was recovered under OBJ from Abacha was kept with the CBN until last year when GEJ instructed the CBN governor to give much of it to Dasuki and his party men, according to EFFC and Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. The remainder has been added to this years budget. The current ones should also be added to future budgets.
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by saintdennis(m): 11:36am On Apr 29, 2016
989900B:
Bankers are robbers, since all these free monies are no longer coming in, they are now recording losses . . . and have changed 'modus operandi' to currency racketeering . . . turned to ab0k! xchange.

I swear, I am still trying to find a scenario where Emefiele wouldn't end up in jail -- same goes for Jonathan too.

Was expecting some money, got a call it had been transferred, didn't see alert. Can u believe GTB charged me 10 naira for using *737# to check my acct balance? 10 naira!

These banks no longer get "free" money from govt now they wanna fleece customers via ridiculous charges.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by ebube89(f): 11:46am On Apr 29, 2016
ba7man:
we're talking about hundreds of millions of naira, you're talking 15 million naira.

Do you know how to prioritize your life at all to get productive results ? undecided

It's people like this that will encourage prosecuting thieves that stole N2000 but defend thieves that stole N2 billion.
stealing is the same whether 1naira or 100m.
if buhari has refused to tell us d source of funding of his presidential campaign which spent billions of naira, then we are just deceiving ourselves
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by hornyman(m): 11:50am On Apr 29, 2016
When the rich steals we shout witch-hunting, but when the poor steals no one care about the punishment he goes thru. EFCC pls we need these people to be charge to court and if prosecuted they should serve their jail terms and all the funds must be recovered and put into meaningful development that most citizens can benefit from.

1 Like

Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by 989900B: 12:01pm On Apr 29, 2016
saintdennis:

Was expecting some money, got a call it had been transferred, didn't see alert. Can u believe GTB charged me 10 naira for using *737# to check my acct balance? 10 naira!

These banks no longer get "free" money from govt now they wanna fleece customers via ridiculous charges.

cheesy grin cheesy

Sorry, I know it's not a 'laughing matter', but I just can't help it.

Stanbic charges me N50 for every transaction (outflow), though that it is just a savings account.

GTB own . . . make I just get back come unleash my 'Bariga wereh' for them.
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by 989900B: 12:04pm On Apr 29, 2016
Teenaira:

The monies can't be touched until cases are closed in court, and court gives the order.

You wish the presidency had such powers?
wink cheesy
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by zheroes(m): 12:33pm On Apr 29, 2016
omenka:
I don't understand why some people feel so damn hurt when they hear news of this nature- I mean, they didn't benefit squat from these largesse yet ....

I simply don't get it.
you don't know some people derive pleasure when things aren't done right and feel pained when you try to normalise things. Its demonic but its the truth.

1 Like

Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by focus7: 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2016
After all it was not that Jonathan did not attempt to tamper with the result of the election as it was been speculated. Thunder will fire Jonathan.
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by tuniski: 1:13pm On Apr 29, 2016
MaziOmenuko:
I said it that #dasuki-gate will be a joke when compared to revelations that will come out of oil probe. The surface hasn't been scratched yet.

Little wonder some madam's have embraced cancer with all their heart.
They are all jokes and the clowns are efcc n buhari! In other climes, news of corruption cases break when investigations have been concluded and prosecution set. Not this media noise with no substance.
I still ask 2.1bn$ is equivalent of 650bn naira and all the media noise on Dasukigate ain't 20bn naira whereis the balance of 630bn naira? Bunch of clowns
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by ba7man(m): 1:16pm On Apr 29, 2016
ebube89:

stealing is the same whether 1naira or 100m.
if buhari has refused to tell us d source of funding of his presidential campaign which spent billions of naira, then we are just deceiving ourselves
Well you can go disturb yourself over N1 thieves...... I'd rather concern myself over N100 million thieves.

As if Buhari was part of the ruling party in charge of the National treasury.
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by tuniski: 1:17pm On Apr 29, 2016
989900B:

The monies can't be touched until cases are closed in court, and court gives the order.

You wish the presidency had such powers?
wink cheesy
Then they should stop disturbing us with media stories without substance. This why it is called media trial mentioning monies and going cold in actual substance!

Bunch of clowns entertaining emotional citizens!
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by Ahmed3rdjuly: 1:32pm On Apr 29, 2016
EzePromoe:
Where are all these returned money while our economy is suffering?

You are not even asking why they stole the money and made us to suffer?
You are not even praying that they find more stolen funds
Am even sure you are not happy that Nigeria is recovering stolen funds sef.
You are coming here to ask JAMB question
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by tuniski: 1:36pm On Apr 29, 2016
ba7man:
Well you can go disturb yourself over N1 thieves...... I'd rather concern myself over N100 million thieves.

As if Buhari was part of the ruling party in charge of the National treasury.

They yet to tell us the money belong to govt!

1 Like

Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by PFRB: 7:49am On Apr 30, 2016
What is wrong in any company contributing money for a party's campaign?
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by ebube89(f): 10:37am On Apr 30, 2016
who will get d money back when its recovered. cos its not govt money, but contributions from oil companies
Re: Bank And INEC Officials Refund N408.7m by Mustack: 4:18am On May 01, 2016
horlus:

This whole thing would have been a different story.
yes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ondo 2020: Sanwo-Olu Campaigns For Akeredolu In Okitipupa / Buhari Will Be The Only President To Emerge From APC Platform, PDP Boasts / NURTW Ban: Fashola Is Joking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.