Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,497 members, 7,830,502 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria (1927 Views)

The Innoson Military Vehicles Purchased By Nigerian Army (Photos) / Custom Paper For A Car Purchased Brand New. / Vehicle Is Registered In Lagos And You Are NOT Based In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:15am On Apr 30, 2016
Good day all,
I am having a serious issue in ground, i will explain in full later when this matter has been resolved.

I bought a car in cotonou sometimes early this month, i had a serious issue from purchasing it, to clearing it and clearing through the Nigeria customs. The make of the car is Camry(Muscle). Now the issue boils down to when i was about paying, the manager of the white man inside the park(Zone Fifa) told us that a man paid part payment for it & couldnt pay for it again. I now decided to pay 3mill CEFA for the car. Paid clearing and followed due custom payment of #390,000 in Nigeria through a custom officer. What was on the surface was 240k though.

Now the issue boils down that when i hustled the money to register the vehicle finally in Nigeria, they checked the VIN/CHASIS NO, in autoreg office, courtville, the woman gave me the shock of my life when she said it is registered in Nigeria since November 2015, i couldnt move my feet, i was advised that i need to meet with the person who registered it because he was a dealer.

Now the issue now boils down to the following :

1. I was given a copy of the original bill of lading of the vehicle( now if it was stolen in Nigeria and taken to cotonou Benin would they give me bill of lading)

2. Autoreg said it was registered in Nigeria, now if it passed through customs the first time, how come they couldn't see that the vehicle is registered in Nigeria before or did it pass through Idi-roko

3. The seller told me that the man must have registered the car in Nigeria(now the issue here is, could they have registered the car without Engine no and was given the number plate)

4. I haven't rested or slept for days as this on my mind & i'm thinking of returning the car back to the seller but my problem is the custom duty which i have paid, if i return the car back to the seller and get a new car from the seller, would i be required to pay another custom fee on the new car since it has a different VIN no

5. Do Nigerian Dealers register VIN NO when they have made part payment in cotonou to tie down the car, anyone been in such situation before.

Please kindly advise me on the next step because i am really lost here
Serious contributions is encouraged here.
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by yimikaa: 10:50am On Apr 30, 2016
Where is akogun when you need him.

Lalasticlala help this bro.

Saintjoel , Pattybf , oliverjiad
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by saintjoel(m): 11:37am On Apr 30, 2016
yimikaa:
Where is akogun when you need him.

Lalasticlala help this bro.

Saintjoel , Pattybf , oliverjiad

Oga, i'm present sir...saintjoel(akogun)

1 Like

Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by akanniade10(m): 11:50am On Apr 30, 2016
This is a serious sontin oooo shocked
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by saintjoel(m): 12:08pm On Apr 30, 2016
topsnet:
Good day all,
I am having a serious issue in ground, i will explain in full later when this matter has been resolved.

I bought a car in cotonou sometimes early this month, i had a serious issue from purchasing it, to clearing it and clearing through the Nigeria customs. The make of the car is Camry(Muscle). Now the issue boils down to when i was about paying, the manager of the white man inside the park(Zone Fifa) told us that a man paid part payment for it & couldnt pay for it again. I now decided to pay 3mill CEFA for the car. Paid clearing and followed due custom payment of #390,000 in Nigeria through a custom officer. What was on the surface was 240k though.

Now the issue boils down that when i hustled the money to register the vehicle finally in Nigeria, they checked the VIN/CHASIS NO, in autoreg office, courtville, the woman gave me the shock of my life when she said it is registered in Nigeria since November 2015, i couldnt move my feet, i was advised that i need to meet with the person who registered it because he was a dealer.

1. I was given a copy of the original bill of lading of the vehicle( now if it was stolen in Nigeria and taken to cotonou Benin would they give me bill of lading)

2. Autoreg said it was registered in Nigeria, now if it passed through customs the first time, how come they couldn't see that the vehicle is registered in Nigeria before or did it pass through Idi-roko

3. The seller told me that the man must have registered the car in Nigeria(now the issue here is, could they have registered the car without Engine no and was given the number plate)

4. I haven't rested or slept for days as this on my mind & i'm thinking of returning the car back to the seller but my problem is the custom duty which i have paid, if i return the car back to the seller and get a new car from the seller, would i be required to pay another custom fee on the new car since it has a different VIN no

5. Do Nigerian Dealers register VIN NO when they have made part payment in cotonou to tie down the car, anyone been in such situation before.

I'm going to ask some question,which I hope you'll also be ready to answer cos this will help us unravel the mystery.....

1. Can you please state the year of manufacture,all we can see is "camry muscle"....

2. Which border did the car come out from,did it come in through seme/idiroko and where did you meet this "custom officer",can you also write out the C-Number and A-number of the vehicle,so that checks can be ran through the NCS database cos the even the duty charges you paid is kind of confusing....

What i'll advice you to do is this,run a comprehensive VIN check on the vehicle to ascertain it's movement from America/Canada to Benin/Nigeria.

Hope you've thrown away the papers you were given in cotonou cos there's no way the dealer can accept the car back,you can't drive across the border without registering the car and once it's registered,it becomes a used car ,so if you have the cotonou papers with you,go back to the place and obtain a receipt and written document from dealer to prove that he sold the car when the original man that paid the deposit didn't show up.

After you've gotten this papers,you can walk into any court and swear and affidavit or get to produce one and present all of this to the officers at the licensing office. If all of this doesn't work out,meet the dealer and pay him to do a transfer of ownership....

It seemed the man paid a deposit and also starting the registration with the belief that he will pay the balance later but the lebanese sold the car when he didn't show up again....

Also a parting shot,always make sure you give your jobs to a licensed agent,custom officers aren't allowed to process duty papers for some reasons,they'll deduct their own share and later give agents to short-pay, while they use their connections to deliver the car but at the end of the day,if you're caught for short-payment,the officer might just be transferred to another command but you'll still pay the fine but a registered agent can be arrested/forced to make amends.... A man has his 2012 BMW X6 with customs in abeokuta because of this mistake,it was seized because the officer pay N500,000+ which is short-payment.......
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by oliverjiad(m): 12:12pm On Apr 30, 2016
I'm here,the truth is the car is stolen and send back to Benin,best is u go and report to the police,the earlier the better to resolve the case

Regards

Jaid

1 Like

Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by saintjoel(m): 12:27pm On Apr 30, 2016
oliverjiad:
I'm here,the truth is the car is stolen and send back to Benin,best is u go and report to the police,the earlier the better to resolve the case

Regards

Jaid

If the car was sold in the park as he has claimed,you can't just assume it was stolen without facts to back it up....That's why I've asked for the C-Number and other relevant documents to see if it was truly bought from a park,cars sold in the parks come directly from the port and any other car isn't allowed to enter,it was a case of another person paying a deposit and also registering the car with the hope of paying the balance later.
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by pattybf(f): 1:10pm On Apr 30, 2016
one thing came to my mind in this case. I hope this is not d case of some agents/ license officers manipulating Vin numbers to reregister an already registered vehicles, especially when they r still wt d old number plate.

it cld happen dat one of those manipulated nos have marched wt dat of ur vehicle!

I may be wrong tho!
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 30, 2016
Please how can i contact you
can you drop your email or number so we can talk extensively..

saintjoel:

I'm going to ask some question,which I hope you'll also be ready to answer cos this will help us unravel the mystery.....

1. Can you please state the year of manufacture,all we can see is "camry muscle"....

2. Which border did the car come out from,did it come in through seme/idiroko and where did you meet this "custom officer",can you also write out the C-Number and A-number of the vehicle,so that checks can be ran through the NCS database cos the even the duty charges you paid is kind of confusing....

What i'll advice you to do is this,run a comprehensive VIN check on the vehicle to ascertain it's movement from America/Canada to Benin/Nigeria.

Hope you've thrown away the papers you were given in cotonou cos there's no way the dealer can accept the car back,you can't drive across the border without registering the car and once it's registered,it becomes a used car ,so if you have the cotonou papers with you,go back to the place and obtain a receipt and written document from dealer to prove that he sold the car when the original man that paid the deposit didn't show up.

After you've gotten this papers,you can walk into any court and swear and affidavit or get to produce one and present all of this to the officers at the licensing office. If all of this doesn't work out,meet the dealer and pay him to do a transfer of ownership....

It seemed the man paid a deposit and also starting the registration with the belief that he will pay the balance later but the lebanese sold the car when he didn't show up again....

Also a parting shot,always make sure you give your jobs to a licensed agent,custom officers aren't allowed to process duty papers for some reasons,they'll deduct their own share and later give agents to short-pay, while they use their connections to deliver the car but at the end of the day,if you're caught for short-payment,the officer might just be transferred to another command but you'll still pay the fine but a registered agent can be arrested/forced to make amends.... A man has his 2012 BMW X6 with customs in abeokuta because of this mistake,it was seized because the officer pay N500,000+ which is short-payment.......
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by saintjoel(m): 5:07am On May 15, 2016
topsnet:
Good day all,

ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED,THE CAMRY HAS BEEN REGISTERED......
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by bravolad(m): 7:15am On May 15, 2016
saintjoel:

How do you identify a genuine clearing agent at the border or anywhere? Especially, where everyone of them claims to do the right thing. Please share; it will help a lot of folks. Thanks.
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by saintjoel(m): 10:13am On May 15, 2016
bravolad:

How do you identify a genuine clearing agent at the border or anywhere? Especially, where everyone of them claims to do the right thing. Please share; it will help a lot of folks. Thanks.

ASK FOR IS WORK I.D,ESPECIALLY THE ONE ISSUED BY NAGAFF OR ANCLA,ALSO ASK SOME TECNICAL QUESTIONS,THERE ARE SO MANY THAT YOU CAN LEARN FROM THIS THREAD https://www.nairaland.com/1572889/custom-duty-payment-made-easier and https://www.nairaland.com/2208157/c-number-verification-thread ,he must be able to answer and explain even if you're not making sense. Also make sure he has an office in his location and he's well known,we've instances where people claimto be agents on internet but all they do is collect them and sublet to the real agents.....
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by chukel(m): 4:56pm On May 15, 2016
saintjoel:

ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED,THE CAMRY HAS BEEN REGISTERED......
how was it resolved.
Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by saintjoel(m): 7:19pm On May 15, 2016
chukel:
how was it resolved.

The initial buyer's agent deposited for the car but along the line,he wasn't trustworthy and he disappeared with their money which was almost 2M CEFA,they didn't go with a Nigerian agent and the so called in Benin disappeared with no traces...

The OP went into cotonou and paid for the car,since the dealer wasn't any under obligation to sell to the initial depositor,not knowing that the depositor had registered the vehicle inside Nigeria with the hope of taking delivery later. I adviced TOPSNET to swear an affidavit,get a police and gather all relevant documents like the shipping manifest to show that the car was still in Benin as at the time it was registered in Nigeria,i also gave them some link of a top officer in the FRSC and they also got some links at alausa secretariat.

With those documents,they were able to prove that they were the real owners of the car,the initial depositor was also called to their office and after all said and done,TOPSNET managed to get the car registered in her name.

1 Like

Re: Please Help....car Purchased In Benin Is Registered In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:13am On Sep 13, 2016
saintjoel:

The initial buyer's agent deposited for the car but along the line,he wasn't trustworthy and he disappeared with their money which was almost 2M CEFA,they didn't go with a Nigerian agent and the so called in Benin disappeared with no traces...
The OP went into cotonou and paid for the car,since the dealer wasn't any under obligation to sell to the initial depositor,not knowing that the depositor had registered the vehicle inside Nigeria with the hope of taking delivery later. I adviced TOPSNET to swear an affidavit,get a police and gather all relevant documents like the shipping manifest to show that the car was still in Benin as at the time it was registered in Nigeria,i also gave them some link of a top officer in the FRSC and they also got some links at alausa secretariat.
With those documents,they were able to prove that they were the real owners of the car,the initial depositor was also called to their office and after all said and done,TOPSNET managed to get the car registered in her name.

THANKS SO MUCH

EXACTLY HOW YOU SAID IT, THAT WAS HOW IT WAS DONE..
THANKS FOR SAINT JOEL FOR HIS ADVICE, REALLY WORKED OUT
SEE ALL YOU GUYS SOON

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 08 Engine Type Help !!! / Car Jerking Abi Vibrating / Truck Driver Refuses To Overtake A Rolls Royce Phantom In Lagos (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.