Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,312 members, 7,811,927 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know (45864 Views)

What You Probably Didn't Know About Powdered Milk / 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin / 13 Nigerian Foods That Are Better When Eaten Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by sukkot: 1:10pm On Apr 30, 2016
pako chewing stick is now food ?
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by sniperwolf(m): 1:10pm On Apr 30, 2016
Bean cake burger? grin
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by Mufasa27(m): 1:10pm On Apr 30, 2016
since moi moi is bean pie then ekuru will be white bean pie
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by Kofka: 1:10pm On Apr 30, 2016
Pls what about Ebiripo Swallow made wit cooked pap mixed with lafun. Thanks.
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by Stanbeto: 1:16pm On Apr 30, 2016
Una try 4 the food names o
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by laviecontinue: 1:19pm On Apr 30, 2016
So now obe gbanunnun(ondo soup) is now sweep belly soup! Weting person no go see. So now what's the igilishi name for beske(wara dindin) fried milk? Ok o. Keep on doing it o(maaselo) grin grin
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by unite4real: 1:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
saxby:
I'm not here to talk about any Tecno Boom J8 or Glo, Etisalat or even MTN.

Rather I'm here to tell you about how to pronounce recognize Nigerian foods especially when you travel out.

See pics below for their English names.

You can add yours too if you know any.

Lies and Lies.

Kunu is Gruel
Zobo is Hibiscus Tea

1 Like

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by professore(m): 1:23pm On Apr 30, 2016
Wash wash wash

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by SmartMugu: 1:25pm On Apr 30, 2016
saxby:

Rather I'm here to tell you about how to pronounce recognize Nigerian foods especially when you travel out.

Good
Now tell us the names in French and Spanish in case wee travel out.
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by Udofire(m): 1:26pm On Apr 30, 2016
akanniade10:
Baby how about some Peanuts bars and continental yam at orientals for your next bday?

If I hear say naija babe go talk No?
Naija girls will form even if they don't know what peanut bars and continental yam mean and they'll be like ops! I ate peanut bars yesterday, you can bring continental yam and any other type dish with it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by shaneefe(f): 1:33pm On Apr 30, 2016
Did we complain about the names the local names best describe the food biko

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by Doubleagent008(m): 1:34pm On Apr 30, 2016
honezly, the popular names are just okay for me. garri = grain o' fibres what's that?
Cassava flakes will do.
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by shaneefe(f): 1:34pm On Apr 30, 2016
gabylzy:
The way nairaland mods operate ehn ...i made this post this mawnin by 10:48....now a lady made hers buh she enta front page...dats even d picture i used..lol grin grin

Well i will blame Teeblizz...he caused it
Power of a woman
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by shaneefe(f): 1:35pm On Apr 30, 2016
ezychris:
Bullshit! If the Englishmen can't accept the names we have given to this foods, then they should go hug a moving train.
What nonsense! angry
Its not so serious na
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by overboard(m): 1:36pm On Apr 30, 2016
saxby:

I doff my hat. Well done sir.
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by shaneefe(f): 1:37pm On Apr 30, 2016
Sijo01:
Kpof Kpof, energy buns? Hia
Tru true the name best describes puff puff..puff puff na life saver
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by laviecontinue: 1:38pm On Apr 30, 2016
What is Nairaland? Nairaland is the place you hear the unheard shocked even while you read you only hear orisirisi grin
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by ojezee(m): 1:44pm On Apr 30, 2016
bread and akara na bean cake burger.Omo c packaging .no tell iya Basira that one oo.
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by olarhtunji(m): 1:48pm On Apr 30, 2016
I would never call Garri Grain o' fibre!!!......rubbish
GARRI IS GARRI

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by Harrycherichy: 1:53pm On Apr 30, 2016
Very informative piece of article. Nyc one.
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by Taeewo(m): 1:59pm On Apr 30, 2016
Informative
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by cornel994(m): 2:03pm On Apr 30, 2016
Wu made d name appropriate? if it is not chin-chin e no fit be like chin-chin. make dem park dier foreign names gerarahia wu epp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by tomholly: 2:11pm On Apr 30, 2016
heyah clap for yourself ooooooooooooooooo

u didnt waste our money going to skool
saxby:

Mobile/Whatsapp:07038641600 BBM:7B663F3A www.africanwebservice.com www.hostgate.com.ng An expert in *Blog Design,Website Development(Joomla,Wordpress,etc) *E-commerce Website(Magento,Opencart.etc) An expert in CCTV,Vehicle Tracking&Biometric.4NGOS,HOTELS
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by ezychris(m): 2:32pm On Apr 30, 2016
shaneefe:
Its not so serious na
Yea, I don't want to get comfortable with it, that's Rule Number 1 abi? cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by danny6ix(m): 2:50pm On Apr 30, 2016
undecidedAnother Rubbish Thread...

.end time op .end time thread.Another Rubbish Thread...

.end time op .end time thread.
Another Rubbish Thread...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by cao(f): 2:53pm On Apr 30, 2016
Yamarita & Potarita are certainly not English words. Roasted corn IS roasted corn...This thread has got jokes. Na so I just waste my time like this cheesy. NL no go kill person.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by samsam2019: 3:04pm On Apr 30, 2016
It os insane to give our local food an English name.

When and where did you see oyinbo give their food naija name?

We act stoopid in this country at times

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by greatjoey: 3:12pm On Apr 30, 2016
[quote author=saxby post=45179164]I'm not here to talk about any Tecno Boom J8 or Glo, Etisalat or even MTN.

You can add yours too if you know any.[/quot

This guy bad die. No go talk am outside make people no gather you say you don't kolo o.
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by accelion(m): 3:13pm On Apr 30, 2016
I'd just simply avoid going to places where I would need to call these foods another name before I can eat them. That would be so unfair of me to them. We should be consistent in everything we do.
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by lecturerdabo(m): 3:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
I don hear!
Re: 22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know by IamAtribalist: 3:37pm On Apr 30, 2016
saxby:

cool Appropriate name? So kulikuki is not appropriate but peanut bar is? The level of colonial brainwashing in this one is strong. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Do You React When You See This Kind Of Bush Allowance? / Bought A Tin Of Peak Milk And Milo For Four Thousand Seven Hundred Naira / How Many

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.