Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,675 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations (4863 Views)

FFK Hosts Orji Uzor-Kalu & Fashanu To Lunch At His Home, Abuja / Arase, Kanu Nwankwo, John Fashanu & Others At A Police Event In Abuja.Photos / EFCC Arrests Saraki's Wife, Yar'adua's Daughter Over Corruption Allegation! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by mbulela: 12:34am On Aug 11, 2009

Former football star and member of the Presidential Com-mittee on 2010 World Cup qualification, Ambassador John Fashanu, at the weekend, apologised to former military President, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, over allegations that Babangida was involved in debt-buy-back.
Fashanu, who visited Babangida in his Minna residence, said his visit was to inform the General of his forthcoming youth academy event and also tender unreserved apology over the accusation he made years ago against the General.
Fashanu was in company with Chairman/CEO, Reagan Renaissance Group, owner of Reagan Cement, Chief Reagan Ufomba, who brokered the reconciliation.
The former football star said he was misguided on the said allegation and accused the Nigeria media of misrepresenting his position on the issue.
“There was never a time that I accused Gen. Babangida over funds stalked away in any foreign land. It was just a media creation and I have personally apologized to him for the embarrassment it has caused him,” he said.
His apology is coming barely two months after Saliba Mukoro was taken to Minna by the Governor of Osun State, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, to seek forgiveness for participating in a foiled military coup against Babangida’s regime.
Fashanu and Ufomba, who arrived Babangida’s Hill Top residence around 10am and immediately went into a closed-door meeting lasting three hours with the former president, later said he was pleased with the outcome of the reconciliation.
He described the meeting as a rare privilege, saying he was humbled by the warm reception accorded him by the General.
Fashanu noted that he was also misquoted by newspapers that published the said report and that he never mentioned Babangida in the alleged debt-buy-back running into several billions of dollars.
“I can say it again and again, that there was nothing like debt-buy-back or any billions stalked away in any account anywhere. It was all a misrepresentation by the media world-wide, and it is rather unfortunate,” he said.
What happened, he said, was that some sections of the media liked to attribute anything good or bad to the former military president, adding that he felt sorry for his action, which he said was due to youthful exuberance, among others.
The former football star, who recalled that his relationship with Babangida dated way back to 1989 when the former military president got him introduced to former Iron Lady of Britain, Margaret Thatcher in Britain, said Babangida was not involved in any debt-buy-back scam.
“I am sorry; we have not found any evidence to link the name of His Excellency with any debt- buy-back or any allegation at all. I have also apologized to Her Excellency Maryam Babangida as well,” he said.
He said he felt humbled and highly privileged to meet with the former military president and begged him for forgiveness for the embarrassment the publications might have caused him.
Responding, Babangida expressed delight at Fashanu's visit, adding that it was not his nature to say no to those who had come forth to beg for forgiveness after realizing their mistakes.
He also said he was interested in the football academy programme being packaged by Fashanu under the auspices of the Association of Local Govern-ment of Nigeria (ALGON).
“You media goons should concern yourself with helping John to succeed in his football academy programme rather than dwelling so much on apology or no apology,” IBB submitted.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Nobody: 1:49am On Aug 11, 2009
Who cares what and who a fraud like fashanu apologizes to?
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by mbulela: 2:44am On Aug 11, 2009
he still has unclear match fixing claims hanging over his head in England.
i have never seen an ajebutter hustle like John.
his hustling and name dropping skill is legendary.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by otokx(m): 6:00am On Aug 11, 2009
Fashanu should have verified his suspicions before going public; now he has to kiss the dust but all na to make money.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Ibime(m): 9:28am On Aug 11, 2009
Fash the bash! This guy is more Nigerian than those who are born and bred.

Corruption is never far from him. I remember when Victory International pastor was convicted on corruption charges. Fash's name was never far from the scandal. Even during his NFA days, they were chopping money, not to talk of the match-fixing scandal that broke in England the late 1980's in which Grobelaar and Fash's name was involved.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by back2back(f): 9:55am On Aug 11, 2009
Fash the bash is like a flash in the Pan!

He has no credibility!
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by wirinet(m): 10:19am On Aug 11, 2009
Evil genius at work again, IBB is clearing his path to the road to Aso Rock, after all he only stepped aside in 1993. He is getting his staunch critics on his side and attempting to rewrite history. I think Fashanu on his own side has political ambitions and IBBs is still very relevant in Nigeria's political equation.

IBB has positioned his daughter at the heart of the hausa/fulani oligarchy. Watch out for more of IBB's antics in the very near future
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by blacksta(m): 10:23am On Aug 11, 2009
I have know this for a long time considering he is a yoruba man has no credibility at all - Just looking for something to chop .

bloody crook.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 11, 2009
John Fashanu is a groupie.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by eShegz(m): 12:46pm On Aug 11, 2009
blacksta:

I have know this for a long time considering he is a yoruba man has no credibility at all - Just looking for something to chop .

Blaksta, this generalization is uncalled for please.

@ Topic,

Really, Fashanu is just looking for endorsements and possible patronage from unlikely quarters after his Oceanic Bank sponsored football challenge misadventure.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Bialegend(m): 1:08pm On Aug 11, 2009
A Yoruba man will always be a Yoruba man. Typical cowardice and arrsss lickness. Why can't he stand on his criticism knowing fully well that IBB is corrupt no matter how you look at it. What is he afraid of by apologizing? What is the opology going to achieve for him? Well, he is a Yoruba and that is their trait.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Bialegend(m): 1:12pm On Aug 11, 2009
wirinet:

Evil genius at work again, IBB is clearing his path to the road to Aso Rock, after all he only stepped aside in 1993. He is getting his staunch critics on his side and attempting to rewrite history. I think Fashanu on his own side has political ambitions and IBBs is still very relevant in Nigeria's political equation.

IBB has positioned his daughter at the heart of the hausa/fulani oligarchy. Watch out for more of IBB's antics in the very near future
Rubbish. That's the same thing peeps like you insinuated at the tail end of OBJ's presidency. Where was IBB then to take over from OBJ? Nonsense!!! Watch out for more of IBB's antics my arrsssss.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by otukpo(f): 1:32pm On Aug 11, 2009
Bialegend:

A Yoruba man will always be a Yoruba man. Typical cowardice and arrsss lickness. Why can't he stand on his criticism knowing fully well that IBB is corrupt no matter how you look at it. What is he afraid of by apologizing? What is the opology going to achieve for him? Well, he is a Yoruba and that is their trait.

blacksta:

bloody crook.

it is so irritating to see how pple always try to bring tribalism into every discussion on this forum.

Why can't some pple show some maturity for once. sighs.
What has this thread got to do with yoruba? Why cant those that want to criticise John Fashanu do so for himslf than bringing yoruba into this.

Any body from any tribe can do what he has done, it is an individual thing.

Please and please, pple shld try as much as possible to avoid statements that cause tribal abuses on this forum.

Peace

1 Like

Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by kayc33(m): 1:34pm On Aug 11, 2009
OMO IBO:

cheesy Groupie indeed cheesy
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Akanniade(m): 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2009
why is everyone suddenly making peace with IBB? grin grin Oh 2011 is around the corner.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by sandee575(f): 2:02pm On Aug 11, 2009
John Fashanu is a groupie

Wetin be groupie?
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Nezan(m): 2:05pm On Aug 11, 2009
all na because of moni
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by switch47(m): 2:07pm On Aug 11, 2009
JOHN FASHANU HAS DONE THE RIGHT THING!!  The guy rocks----nobody is above mistake!!  i too like the guy and also his tribe--------Fash for life!!
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by MrCrackles(m): 2:11pm On Aug 11, 2009
OMO IBO:

Spot on. . . .
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by ilosiwaju: 3:30pm On Aug 11, 2009
Fraud apologises to Baban-barao over normal behaviour.
Fashanu is an idiot. Who cares who he apologises to?

"obo n gbobo gope" - monkey backing monkey up a palm tree.
grin
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by visionsen(m): 3:50pm On Aug 11, 2009
Fashanu should be left with his decision, and in this government of rule of law anybody who has a proof as regards IBB's wrong doing should go to Court .
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by ilosiwaju: 4:21pm On Aug 11, 2009
thanks for the civics lecture.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Fhemmmy: 4:26pm On Aug 11, 2009
I guess Fashanu has a plan to make IBB his god-father.
What a shame.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by ilosiwaju: 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2009
true talk!
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by kok(m): 4:39pm On Aug 11, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I guess Fashanu has a plan to make IBB his god-father.
What a shame.

Yes o! a kind of omage he went to pay!
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Americasman(m): 4:47pm On Aug 11, 2009
These three gentlemen shall make our country great again: Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida as PRESIDENT. Gen. Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo as VICE PRESIDENT and Alhaji Umaru Musa Ya'adua as SECRETARY TO THE GOVERNMENT. I hope it will come to past.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Morizo(m): 5:30pm On Aug 11, 2009
As a person, i do admire IBB's courage and Ingenuity, but not the decisions he made while in office. But Fashanu is Something else. The man is just husssling and clawing about for money . I could almost swear he was a begger in his former life grin grin
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by zomby(m): 5:42pm On Aug 11, 2009
I guess he has finally realized that it isn't easy to do a slavery duty. Fashanu has done well.
And those of you who think Fashanu is a groupie, please take a moment out and get to know the man called IBB, and I assure you that you will quickly become one of the groupies, you have no defence, the man is that good.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Fhemmmy: 6:07pm On Aug 11, 2009
Morizo:

As a person, i do admire IBB's courage and Ingenuity, but not the decisions he made while in office. But Fashanu is Something else. The man is just husssling and clawing about for money . I could almost swear he was a begger in his former life grin grin

The guy is still a begger but in developed way
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by GALANTRICH(m): 6:23pm On Aug 11, 2009
fashanu is a coward.no more no less.
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by Fhemmmy: 6:26pm On Aug 11, 2009
GALANTRICH:

fashanu is a coward.no more no less.

So sad, cos i thot the guy was credible
Re: Fashanu Apologises To Babangida Over Corruption Allegations by redsun(m): 7:23pm On Aug 11, 2009
He doesn't know when to stop,just a naive blackman,with all his exposure and experience,he is still dumb.Of course anybody that identify with the likes of IBB,OBJ.IKIMI,ATIKU dem and co is a criminal

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saving Nigeria / Who Financed Ibb's Coup? / Boko Haram Joining ISIS Calls For Jonathan Removal - Festus Keyamo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.