Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. (12691 Views)

Outrageous Marriage Requirements(screenshot) / Banky W & Adesua Etomi With His Parents At Their Marriage Introduction (Photo) / These Are Reportedly Traditional Marriage Requirements In A State In The East (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Fmartin(m): 9:08pm On May 02, 2016
Traditional Marriage In Tiv Requires You To Take The Steps Below

1. After the groom’s first visit with few of his family members to his in-laws place, he is then expected to come back officially for the introduction.

2. While coming at this time along with his people, he is required to bring a bottle of wine and hot drinks, with bag of salt and bush meat if the bride’s family request for that.

3. At the introduction, both families chooses a date for the traditional wedding and then the groom’s family is provided with the full list of things to be provided for the wedding day.

4. According to their culture, the male and female members of the bride’s family are separated in two rooms while the groom along with his own family members are asked to join the bride’s male families in the room to discus the dowry and the payment.

5. When this is done and the bride price paid, the woman is then asked to come and show her fathers (all the elderly men in her family) the man she wishes to marry by giving him a drink just like it’s practiced in Igboland.

6. After this is done and while the female members of the bride’s family are still in the room, the girl then takes her man to them there where she is given some advice by her mothers in the room.

7. Though not mandatory, the youths of the bride’s family usually demand some money from the groom which he may find one way or the other to dodge or give them whatever he feels like; mere protocols at times!

8. When the traditional rites are done with and fully observed, the groom’s family are then treated to their traditional musics/dance and this process is called “kwase kuhwam” this is mostly common if they are both Tiv people.

These are just few basic requirements for marrying a Tiv lady. Though with a rich tradition, their simple ways of life often go a long way in making the otherwise expensive requirements look so simple and easy to fulfill.
Not to be overlook also, is the flexibility of marrying a Tiv woman. Most of their items on the list are negotiable and could be substituted with cash easily. As if keeping the best for the last, guess how much an average Tiv bride price is?

Well, while you are thinking about that, take your little time to acquaint yourself with the detailed list of their traditional marriage requirements first.

For the father you are expected to provide the following:

1. Pig
2. Azenga (cowries)
3.Matches
4. Local gin and some cash which is usually meant for the replacement of the drinks in case it finishes soon.

Then for the mother you are to bring items such as as:
1. Chair
2. Table
3. Necklace
4. Broom
5. Basin
6. Mat
7. Wheelbarrow
8. Bush meat
9. Salt
10. Palm oil
11. Mudu, (Bowl) for measuring things
12. Umbrella and soft drinks.

Then for the bride price, you are expected to part with a large sum of N40,000 or less! But hey, when it comes to beauty and homely female folks, the Benue people has them.

https://constative.com/people/lifestyle/list-of-traditional-marriage-in-tiv-requirements

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 02, 2016
smiley cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by bb6xt(m): 9:28pm On May 02, 2016
OP, are you from Benue?
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Vicben(m): 9:34pm On May 02, 2016
Marriage in Benue is not expensive

1 Like

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by bb6xt(m): 9:36pm On May 02, 2016
SANDOSKI:
smiley cheesy
Sandra e b like say na 4G you use, see as you take snatch FTC from me!
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by bb6xt(m): 9:36pm On May 02, 2016
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by bb6xt(m): 9:41pm On May 02, 2016
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 02, 2016
bb6xt:

Sandra e b like say na 4G you use, see as you take snatch FTC from me!

Hahaha..... Na 6G I d use oooo ..... Customized by Zain(lol)

1 Like

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by bb6xt(m): 9:55pm On May 02, 2016
SANDOSKI:

Hahaha..... Na 6G I d use oooo ..... Customized by Zain (lol)

Please where can I get my own na?
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 02, 2016
Can someone confirm it
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Fmartin(m): 10:02pm On May 02, 2016
Am benue positive smiley
bb6xt:
OP, are you from Benue?
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Fmartin(m): 10:05pm On May 02, 2016
Oma307:
Can someone confirm it
wat confirmation again, when its composed by a Tiv man, and confirm by me ?smiley
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by henrygale(m): 10:06pm On May 02, 2016
I disagree o,coz a family in makurdi just wrecked a friend's friend just last month!
My friend told me, coz he was actually d guy's best man,that d guy parted with about 4m in expenses,asides a mandatory car dey told him he must buy the wife!.
Said bride price alone he paid about 500k! No b exaggeration o.....dats what he told me!
Said dey demanded other outrageous amounts for funny funny things.
At dat,he had to force the guy not to register the car with the wife's name after he bought he car as requested!
I was just screaming over the fone when he was giving me the gist,coz he actually called to ask me for a raise when he was stuck in makurdi where he went for the wedding after dey exhausted their pockets! cheesy grin.....imagine!
So forget ds story o,look well before u leap!

2 Likes

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by chigoizie7(m): 10:12pm On May 02, 2016
Vicben:
Marriage in Benue is not expensive

Going by what is listed on that list and other protocols, then it is very expensive compared to my place( obosi in Anambra)
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Fmartin(m): 10:17pm On May 02, 2016
henrygale:
I disagree o,coz a family in makurdi just wrecked a friend's friend just last month!
My friend told me, coz he was actually d guy's best man,that d guy parted with about 4m in expenses,asides a mandatory car dey told him he must buy the wife!.
Said bride price alone he paid about 500k! No b exaggeration o.....dats what he told me!
Said dey demanded other outrageous amounts for funny funny things.
At dat,he had to force the guy not to register the car with the wife's name after he bought he car as requested!
I was just screaming over the fone when he was giving me the gist,coz he actually called to ask me for a raise when he was stuck in makurdi where he went for the wedding after dey exhausted their pockets! cheesy grin.....imagine!
So forget ds story o,look well before u leap!
i don't think your friend married a Tiv woman. I guess u must be talking of idoma. Because am too sure of marriage requirements here in my father land

1 Like

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by henrygale(m): 10:29pm On May 02, 2016
Fmartin:
i don't think your friend married a Tiv woman. I guess u must be talking of idoma. Because am too sure of marriage requirements here in my father land
Wch ever way bro,d gal na from makurdi, and from the gist I got,dey wrecked the guy! The guy sef too was stranded in makurdi. Learnt was one of his uncles dat sent him 250k to settle debts and move out of d place. wink cheesy
Saying Tiv can't do such is not factual coz I rather say it depends on the family the lady is from. Some families sees it as an opportunity to exploit the groom and suck him dry,forgetting their daughter is going home with the guy,and na hunger go wire d daughter since dey siphoned all the money in expenses for mere ceremony!

2 Likes

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by TFLAME(m): 1:47am On May 03, 2016
Interesting
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Qualer: 2:32am On May 03, 2016
SANDOSKI:
smiley cheesy

are you from benue?
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by NemzySeries(m): 2:48am On May 03, 2016
proudly #Tiv but unfortunately I can't speak d language tho I dunt mind marrying a well cultured Tiv lady wey go teach ma kids yet to cum d language Õoº°˚ ˚°ºoo......currently chilling d week in #makurdi town
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by swaggzo(m): 4:57am On May 03, 2016
JUST GET THEIR DAUGHTER PREGNANT, MAN.. .. AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO PAY NOTHING! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by youngnigga22(m): 6:29am On May 03, 2016
Ogechi, you see what I was telling you since. If your parents would accept this Tiv terns instead of demanding 3million from me, we would hav married since last year undecided

2 Likes

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by VocalWalls: 6:32am On May 03, 2016
No yams requested?

Hmmm... This is a shocker.
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by tinnymerit(m): 6:33am On May 03, 2016
proudly yoruba,married a yoruba girl,paid 5k as dowry,and it was even returned immediately.

1 Like

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Fmartin(m): 7:53am On May 03, 2016
VocalWalls:
No yams requested?

Hmmm... This is a shocker.
we manufacture yams so no need
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Fmartin(m): 7:54am On May 03, 2016
tinnymerit:
proudly yoruba,married a yoruba girl,paid 5k as dowry,and it was even returned immediately.
no problem

1 Like

Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by jieta: 8:05am On May 03, 2016
Op u forgot to write d part were u will be paying huge some of money every year to ur inlaw so dat ur children will not be killed
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by VocalWalls: 8:12am On May 03, 2016
Fmartin:
we manufacture yams so no need

That's serious.
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by MentalCase(m): 8:13am On May 03, 2016
It's too expensive angry
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by Nobody: 8:52am On May 03, 2016
tinnymerit:

Woe! I love it. Looking for Yoruba girl to marry o
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by IkpuMmadu: 9:04am On May 03, 2016
alfred5:

Woe! I love it. Looking for Yoruba girl to marry o
Cheap things are not good always
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by ucnwafor(m): 9:11am On May 03, 2016
tinnymerit:
Re: Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. by ucnwafor(m): 9:12am On May 03, 2016
tinnymerit:
like seriously, I went to a departmental friend's traditional wedding in ekiti state, #5, #10, #20 was among the currency on tray for the bride price dowry.......and dey even add some cash with it and gave back to the groom dat they don't sell their daughter, yorubas are good in hospitality, care, honesty with in-laws

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Very Nasty Experience At A Nairobi Night Club Last Night / The Body On This Girl Will Leave You Breathless[photo] / My Virgin Wife Is In Pains.. Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.