Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? (11800 Views)

Get A Job With The Right Cv - Allow Me Rewrite Your Cv To Meet That Job Standard / Ruona Meyer Who Sold Kerosene Years Ago In Lagos Lands Job With BBC (Photos) / Just Got A Job with a federal Government agency,which State Should I Pick? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by cruxifixo: 12:53pm On May 04, 2016
At the poster, are u going to the Asian Institute of Technology?
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by charleslifted(m): 1:00pm On May 04, 2016
SmooshCHN:
I'd go after the master's programme for now. BTW, can you shed more light on how you got the scholarship or other scholarship programs available for Thailand. Thank you @dany2k
ur a wise man.. Best comment so far
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by charleslifted(m): 1:02pm On May 04, 2016
Kingzy4pep:
Shey dem dey pick money for Australia and Canada?
no mind d idiot
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by greggng: 1:03pm On May 04, 2016
flyca:
1st class in Civil Engineering, is Bank job of 198K really your best shot
Thailand? Hmmmm, many drug lords there.

Bro, you can do better than these two options.

He is going for masters not for drug
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by abdabass: 1:20pm On May 04, 2016
Gd day my bro.,

You are a professional, Its better u go for ur study & come back to set up ur own biz as a builder. You may as well get better offer in Oil&Gas due to ur oversea exposure. All u need is just one link/contract u will make it rather than going to waste ur time in d banking hall.

Anyway, u also need to pray for God's guidians.

Best of luck.
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by ubamfrank: 2:13pm On May 04, 2016
My brother, I always advice Nigeria youth to think of creating job rather that looking for job. Pls go for your master and have an international exposure that will make you more special when u r back in the country.

2 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Teeeestone(m): 2:25pm On May 04, 2016
worldraid:
Microbiology or Civil engineering?

Abi......some nairalanders sha ! I thought it was only me that got confused ! fake life !
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by dearie(m): 3:43pm On May 04, 2016
Hey guys,
I need your candid opinion and advice on this. I am first class graduate of Civil Engineering from one of the prestigious federal university in Nigeria.
I won all expense-paid scholarship to Thailand and also secured job with sterling bank.
Sterling bank job total take home is around 198k but I am confused whether to take up the job or go for my masters degree.
I am particularly confused because of job insecurity associated with banking industry as well as deviating from my career aspiration of becoming an Engineer.
I am also concerned of not being able to secure decent job when I come back after my masters programme in Thailand.
I will be glad for your honest opinion and advice

Your choice should be crystal clear...I don't even see any option here. First Class? Engineering? 198k per month for a bank job? All expense paid trip for MSC?

I'm sure you know sup now...na MSC for me o....
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by 900warriorz: 3:59pm On May 04, 2016
My brother, chill in naija oo! Dont mind that FTC guy! I'm sure he doexbt know those thailand guys!

Won ma ko fi ifun ati edo e se barbeque!
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by mikolo80: 4:52pm On May 04, 2016
ireneony:
take the first offer afterall you are a first class graduate and there are more opportunities to come.

What is 198k compared to your worth? undecided

First offer it is!
i sabi first class graduate wen find work for 5 yearS
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by JayJustus(m): 6:54pm On May 04, 2016
screw Thailand fam... Your brothers from the east have dented our image there...I couldn't even go there for my project as they refused to accept my visa application asking me to bring letter of good conduct...my Dean did all she could no way...thank God for Singapore I was able to go...screw it don't go Thailand...take up the bank job.. #BuyNaija

1 Like

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Godisnotaman101(m): 7:04pm On May 04, 2016
You need to understand what you want. If you want to be an engineer go for your Masters if not take the unrealiable banking job. Be blessed!
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by shinaboy: 8:08pm On May 04, 2016
Hey guys,
I need your candid opinion and advice on this. I am first class graduate of Civil Engineering from one of the prestigious federal university in Nigeria.
I won all expense-paid scholarship to Thailand and also secured job with a bank.
The bank job total take home is around 198k but I am confused whether to take up the job or go for my masters degree.
I am particularly confused because of job insecurity associated with banking industry as well as deviating from my career aspiration of becoming an Engineer.
I am also concerned of not being able to secure decent job when I come back after my masters programme in Thailand.
I will be glad for your honest opinion and advice

Summary of the epistle: Take the bank job. Stay for 1 or 2 years, then apply to better schools in US. Don't waste your first class by getting an MS degree from Thailand

You see a Masters degree is good. One with a scholarship for that matter. But you really need to ask yourself some good questions before taking the leap.

Are you planning to work there after the degree? Is there opportunity to at least get some work experience?

I have never been to Asia but I have heard a lot about Malaysia and can tell you that getting the job after your degree in those South East Asian countries could be really tough. Really really tough. And this has been testified to by posters here as well.

Are you planning to come back to Nigeria?
If you are coming back to Nigeria with your Thai MSc, remember you will be facing a stiff competition with an army of other MSc Engineers like you with UK MSc degrees which will be much more reputable than yours and make it even harder for you to compete in the job market.

Your Thai education may be free, but it may not worth that much in terms of the job opportunity it can bring you since you might not be able to work in Thailand and in Nigeria I don't think anyone will be wowed by an MS degree from Thailand. Your Thai degree

I will advise you to take the bank job.

Plan to stay for 1 or 2 years.

In this time you can apply to all the engineering graduate trainee program you find. or Internships. Beg if you have to. As an engineer, work experience is much more important than a Masters degree. This is something many people realise only after finishing their Masters.

While you are at it, you can then apply for a proper Masters degree in the US, Canada, or Europe (Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia) Some of these countries give tuition free scholarships and you only have to cover living expenses. Your first class puts you at an advantage for getting funding.

The advantage of doing your masters in these countries

1. Your degree will be recognised worldwide
2. Opportunity to stay behind when you finish (In Canada you can get residency permit, in the US you can get OPT which allows you to get work experience)
3. Even if you come back to Nigeria, it will be respected by everyone and no one will question the quality of your degree.

This is my 2 cents regarding this matter.

Wish you the best.

2 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 04, 2016
As a professional colleague,I would advice you that you go for the M.Sc programme. Don't be distracted by that bank offer.Though as engineers,we could work in any work sector because of our high analytical skills.

Take the risk,who knows,you can get an international job after your M.Sc or better still you could further to Ph.D level and be a consultant to any of the IOCs or Multinational Coys.

Bro think outside the box.

Congrats! Go and make Nigerians PROUD there at Thailand.I wish you all the best.
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by stannam: 3:19am On May 05, 2016
Guy working in the bank won't make you an experienced engineer, it may not also guarantee you job security.. it will rather snuff life out of your career dream. Advance your life with the MSc offer you will find something better when you return as long as you have stuffs to offer!

Good luck in your career pursuit!!
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by kismo(m): 2:19pm On May 08, 2016
At Op, honestly if truly you finished with first class, in civil engineering for that matter, l don't expect you to be this confused of what you want to do with your life.
Let me give you an example, before l graduted from University, l knew l will end up as a business man and going for masters never crossed my mind. So all the jobs l have been doing including a professional programme l am running are all tailored towards achieving my dream.
If your dream is to be an engineer, my brother, for the msc but if you want to bid go-bye to Civil Engineering, then take up the bank job.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Real Reason Why Employees Aren't Opening Your Emails / As A Single Guy How Do You Deal With Work Stress? / 5 Things Every Employee Expects From The Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.