Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! - Religion (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! (35008 Views)

One Hallelujah Records Will Not Partner With Secular Artistes – RCCG / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / Can I Listen To Secular Music/clubbing And Still Be A Devoted Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 9:34pm On May 08, 2016
Lol some don't wanna die and Logicbwoy is very very afraid of death..Why da fvuck do we die cheesy

Besides JackBizzle , are you still in spam cell lipsrsealed If yes, then what you did is way beyond naughty cheesy But there's hope..!
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 9:41pm On May 08, 2016
seeker4life:

Didn't know all u guys actually existed in Nigeria!!! tongue had to create an account today cos of u guys actually cos of cloudgoddes on a topic she commented on "the power of sex" grin at least u guys re able to ask rational questions and not be afraid about religion...hope we can really share our views and learn from each other......shoot Hv to go and sleep now church dis morning lol (African parents) grin grin wink
You created an account to comment...nice. But do you wanna yoke with the unbeliever? embarassed
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 10:19pm On May 08, 2016
johnydon22:

My thoughts are

-If there actually are intelligent extra-terrestrials more advanced than us then they probably are ignoring us as we most likely are ignoring ants who we see less intelligent than us.

we can't teach ants physics as they won't understand so it's of no use. so myabe these being likely do see us as per their intellect the way we see ants in intellect.

- Technological intelligence is rare in the universe even at that considering the number of planets it could still amount to millions if not trillions if live evolved on other planets.

But may like us they are all young species still trying to figure out left from right and have not developed enough tech to explore deep space.

the possibilities are endless

Whats your take on it, and what's this solution according to the article?

Nice. I like your opinion. As for me, until SETI is able to give us satisfactorily concluding facts that we're alone or not, I won't hold to a particular view. Why??

These are some of the solutions I found to the paradox.. N.B These are just answers to the paradox..they are by no means concluding facts as to why we're alone.

1. The Zoo Hypothesis

ETI’s may have stumbled upon our tiny blue marble a long time ago, but, for whatever reason, they’re observing us from afar. It might be that we’re entertainment for them (like watching monkeys in the zoo), or that they’re studying us for scientific purposes. Regardless they (super-intelligent alien life) may answer to a Prime Directive: don’t interfere.. just like the Prime Directive in Star Trek part 2 Into the Darkness in which civilizations are left alone until they attain a certain technology capacity.

2. Radio Silence
That aliens are broadcasting, but we don’t know how to listen.
This is one of the things SETI is counting on for success.
Aliens might not be broadcasting with radio waves, or they might be broadcasting on different frequencies than the ones SETI is currently monitoring. Or they may be using technologies way beyond what we have in their broadcast.

3. The Simulation Hypothesis
That we haven’t been visited by anyone because we’re living inside a computer simulation (Just like in the movie Matrix) — and the simulation isn’t generating any extraterrestrial companions for us.

There's no shortage of solutions to the Fermi Paradox. Some too plausible and some too weird. Others:

Rare Earth Hypothesis -- the suggestion that life is exceptionally rare. Is earth really special? Meanwhile, there're other exoplanets like our earth.

The notion that space travel is too difficult or the distance too vast

The Great Filter Hypothesis --the idea that all sufficiently advanced civilizations destroy themselves before going intergalactic, or that we’re simply not interesting enough.

Aliens Haven't Had Enough Time to Reach Earth -- This one is too weak because actually they have. Fermi's paradox is driven by three rather powerful premises: 1) our galaxy has been around for a very, very long time — about 13.2 billion years (or 13,200 million years), 2) intelligent life was capable of emerging when the galaxy was still very young, and thus, 3) aliens have had plenty of time to visit, colonize, and reshape every portion of the Milky Way. Yet it doesn't appear that any civilization has done so.

The list goes on..and of course..
God Created the Universe Just For Us --This is the one Kingebukasblog will accept, just like Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas, who both argued that humans are unique to God's plan. Erm but "the universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space undecided." Indeed, if God created the Universe just for us, why such elaborate digs? Why would there be trillions upon trillions of stars in the cosmos and not just one? What's more, why create such a seemingly biophilic Universe, one that appears to be cosmologically consistent throughout?

Now since there's no satisfactory theory about the "Great Silence", if I hold to any of the opinions alone, it means that I've accepted that we're truly alone and will remain alone because of those reasons.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Joshthefirst(m): 11:39pm On May 08, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Thanks bro for the invite . Not sure about the ban but I believe that the marriage counselling committee in churches should handle the aspect of family planning not really the pastors . Books regarding family planning should also be recommended for couples who are going into marriage .

The onus should not only be on the religious institution . We should start from the young ones in secondary schools , inculcate in them the need to engage in family planning .

The government could enforce a law like they did in China to control the number of children a married couple should have .

Any of the above three is an ideal solution to Nigeria's overpopulation problems . The third is the most effective
Isn't the bolded extremist?

Chinese social engineering left a lot of ghost humans to deal with. Cases should always be made for exceptions and mistakes.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 11:11am On May 09, 2016
dblackninja:
Lol some don't wanna die and Logicbwoy is very very afraid of death..Why da fvuck do we die cheesy

Besides JackBizzle , are you still in spam cell lipsrsealed If yes, then what you did is way beyond naughty cheesy But there's hope..!

Nope...been free since.

Everyone is afraid of death. No one knows what comes next
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 11:13am On May 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

considering that atheists and their myrmidons killed close to 240 million people , I think making them believe there is no God would be more effective . what do you think?

grin grin And you say you're not a fundamentalist?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 11:18am On May 09, 2016
Areaboy2:

hmmmm. Been a while a said anything regarding religion on nairaland.
In line with the above, I don't really think I have changed much in any of the points listed above except No. 6. I've always not fancied them but currently loathe people deceiving others even when I'm sure they don't believe the crap they spit out.

I have always been curious about things and that is the main reason for my disbelieve in the "god" idea. I asked a question back in my uni S.U. days (brother Gus cheesy ) and till date, never got a satisfying answer. What is the purpose of life?. I came to the conclusion that just like the animals, there isn't a particular purpose. we are all just one part of a big system that needs the other to survive to an reasonable extent. Fortunately for us we have the intellectual capacity to even ask such questions.

So yea, I've always been kind, thoughtful and cheerful. Religion did not teach me any of that as it is just who I am.

On the flip side, I don't worry about death any more. Its inevitable and I just hope I can choose how I go. My friends know me for one annoying phrase....

"I've had a good run" smiley

Area_boy

It is good to see a cheerful person. Living in Nigeria has made me moody. I smile a lot but I'm actually dead inside. My life is great but I cant stand to see others suffer while wicked people enjoy.

I'll soon be returning to Europe and I'm seriously considering staying for good.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 11:21am On May 09, 2016
dblackninja:

The Great Filter Hypothesis --the idea that all sufficiently advanced civilizations destroy themselves before going intergalactic, or that we’re simply not interesting enough.

I really like this hypothesis. Considering the extinction of species here on earth, it could be possible. Just look at how the world came close to nuking itself after world war 2. We could have bombed ourselves to death.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:00pm On May 09, 2016
Joshthefirst:
Isn't the bolded extremist?

Chinese social engineering left a lot of ghost humans to deal with. Cases should always be made for exceptions and mistakes.

Well , it is but desperate times call for desperate measures and I agree that cases should be made for exceptions and mistakes .

Plus if we dont act fast now ,we'll have ourselves to blame in the future .
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:04pm On May 09, 2016
dblackninja:

Nice. I like your opinion. As for me, until SETI is able to give us satisfactorily concluding facts that we're alone or not, I won't hold to a particular view. Why??

These are some of the solutions I found to the paradox.. N.B These are just answers to the paradox..they are by no means concluding facts as to why we're alone.

1. The Zoo Hypothesis

ETI’s may have stumbled upon our tiny blue marble a long time ago, but, for whatever reason, they’re observing us from afar. It might be that we’re entertainment for them (like watching monkeys in the zoo), or that they’re studying us for scientific purposes. Regardless they (super-intelligent alien life) may answer to a Prime Directive: don’t interfere.. just like the Prime Directive in Star Trek part 2 Into the Darkness in which civilizations are left alone until they attain a certain technology capacity.

2. Radio Silence
That aliens are broadcasting, but we don’t know how to listen.
This is one of the things SETI is counting on for success.
Aliens might not be broadcasting with radio waves, or they might be broadcasting on different frequencies than the ones SETI is currently monitoring. Or they may be using technologies way beyond what we have in their broadcast.

3. The Simulation Hypothesis
That we haven’t been visited by anyone because we’re living inside a computer simulation (Just like in the movie Matrix) — and the simulation isn’t generating any extraterrestrial companions for us.

There's no shortage of solutions to the Fermi Paradox. Some too plausible and some too weird. Others:

Rare Earth Hypothesis -- the suggestion that life is exceptionally rare. Is earth really special? Meanwhile, there're other exoplanets like our earth.

The notion that space travel is too difficult or the distance too vast

Aliens Haven't Had Enough Time to Reach Earth -- This one is too weak because actually they have. Fermi's paradox is driven by three rather powerful premises: 1) our galaxy has been around for a very, very long time — about 13.2 billion years (or 13,200 million years), 2) intelligent life was capable of emerging when the galaxy was still very young, and thus, 3) aliens have had plenty of time to visit, colonize, and reshape every portion of the Milky Way. Yet it doesn't appear that any civilization has done so.

The list goes on..and of course..
God Created the Universe Just For Us --This is the one Kingebukasblog will accept, just like Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas, who both argued that humans are unique to God's plan. Erm but "the universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space undecided." Indeed, if God created the Universe just for us, why such elaborate digs? Why would there be trillions upon trillions of stars in the cosmos and not just one? What's more, why create such a seemingly biophilic Universe, one that appears to be cosmologically consistent throughout?

Now since there's no satisfactory theory about the "Great Silence", if I hold to any of the opinions alone, it means that I've accepted that we're truly alone and will remain alone because of those reasons.

Lol . God could have created aliens . I'm an open minded Christian . Smh
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 3:06pm On May 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Lol . God could have created aliens . I'm an open minded Christian . Smh

Open minded in a contradictory way towards the bible?

And if the aliens we find are human-like nko? Does that not destroy the creation story?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:08pm On May 09, 2016
JackBizzle:

Open minded in a contradictory way towards the bible?

And if the aliens we find are human-like nko? Does that not destroy the creation story?

Insinuating that aliens could have created humans right ? Smh . And I'll ask who created the aliens since you want to ignorantly push the onus of creation on aliens .
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:16pm On May 09, 2016
JackBizzle:

grin grin And you say you're not a fundamentalist?

Bro . They did kill even greater number of people in the absence of religion - that's me stating a fact . Atheism has never benefited anyone
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 3:16pm On May 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Insinuating that aliens could have created humans right ? Smh . And I'll ask who created the aliens since you want to ignorantly push the onus of creation on aliens .

i didnt insinuate that aliens created humans. Although, many scientists see that as a possibility!

My point is, if we find aliens that are human-like on an earth-like planet, then the bible has failed with its creation story because it definitely failed to mention earth-2. It would then be open to questions-

-Are Adam and Eve the first humans? What about the humanoids from earth-2? Are they older?
-Who is more in Gods image us humans or earth-2 humaniods?
-Why did the bible omit earth 2?
-Do they worship Yahweh (which of course, they would not)
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:19pm On May 09, 2016
JackBizzle:

i didnt insinuate that aliens created humans. Although, many scientists see that as a possibility!

My point is, if we find aliens that are human-like on an earth-like planet, then the bible has failed with its creation story because it definitely failed to mention earth-2. It would then be open to questions-

-Are Adam and Eve the first humans? What about the humanoids from earth-2? Are they older?
-Who is more in Gods image us humans or earth-2 humaniods?
-Why did the bible omit earth 2?
-Do they worship Yahweh (which of course, they would not)

'Which of course , they wouldn't ' - that's a blatant show of ignorance and close-mindedness

The bible never said that Adam and Eve were the first humans . Ever heard of Pre-Adamic period ?

You are stating suppositions here . Let us first find aliens that look like humans then all these questions would be plausible
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 3:22pm On May 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Bro . They did kill even greater number of people in the absence of religion - that's me stating a fact . Atheism has never benefited anyone

Atheism is not meant to benefit anyone. Atheism is just an empty disbelief.

The only thing that I gained as a secular atheist is that I don't have religious shackles on my brain and life- which a deist too can gain.

Also, note that your are comparing communist atheists who had modern weaponry to middle aged religious savages. Your numbers are skewed.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:26pm On May 09, 2016
JackBizzle:

Atheism is not meant to benefit anyone. Atheism is just an empty disbelief.

The only thing that I gained as a secular atheist is that I don't have religious shackles on my brain and life- which a deist too can gain.

Also, note that your are comparing communist atheists who had modern weaponry to middle aged religious savages. Your numbers are skewed.

Exactly ! Christianity is meant to be beneficial and it has been .

Please not when I talk about the evil of religion I'm talking about the despicable acts carried out by " Christians"

If the atheists had modern weaponry then more decimation that means the numbers are meant to sky-rocket
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 3:29pm On May 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

'Which of course , they wouldn't ' - that's a blatant show of ignorance and close-mindedness

The bible never said that Adam and Eve were the first humans . Ever heard of Pre-Adamic period ?

You are stating suppositions here . Let us first find aliens that look like humans then all these questions would be plausible

Did Jesus get crucified on earth-2? Was Jesus baptized on a frozen planet?

How would earth-2 humanoids be christians?

This is the difference between a philosopher and a closed-minded fundamentalist....one designs a fictional concepts with layers of logic while the other bolsters his myths with dogma and threats.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 3:30pm On May 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Exactly ! Christianity is meant to be beneficial and it has been .

Please not when I talk about the evil of religion I'm talking about the despicable acts carried out by " Christians"

If the atheists had modern weaponry then more decimation that means the numbers are meant to sky-rocket

Christianity appeals to man's greed

-salvation
-eternal paradise
-God's blessings

Christianity, like most Abrahamic religions, is all about benefits.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:31pm On May 09, 2016
JackBizzle:

Did Jesus get crucified on earth-2? Was Jesus baptized on a frozen planet?

How would earth-2 humanoids be christians?

This is the difference between a philosopher and a closed-minded fundamentalist....one designs a fictional concepts with layers of logic while the other bolsters his myths with dogma and threats.

Let's find this elusive planet of yours called earth-2 before these questions would be plausible . Do I write Chinese ?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 3:35pm On May 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Let's find this elusive planet of yours called earth-2 before these questions would be plausible . Do I write Chinese ?

But you criticized the fact that I said that earth-2 humanoids wouldn't be Yahweh worshippers or christians.

Anyhoo. I know we haven't found the elusive planet- we were both theorizing.....until you couldn't take the logical consequences of finding aliens.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 12:31pm On May 10, 2016
cc kingebukasblog, analice107, malvisguy212,winner01, Reyginus, Uyiiredia

Can you imagine your christian brothers telling their fellow christian to pay tithe instead of paying his brother's school feels? And you wonder why people leave christianity to become irreligious

https://www.nairaland.com/3096665/should-pay-tithe-pay-brothers

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 12:34pm On May 10, 2016
JackBizzle:
cc kingebukasblog, analice107, malvisguy212,winner01, Reyginus

Can you imagine your christian brothers telling their fellow christian to pay tithe instead of paying his brother's school feels? And you wonder why people leave christianity to become irreligious

Some people just keep getting dumber and dumber everyday
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 12:38pm On May 10, 2016
When will my ex-church, the catholic church stop getting involved with molestation? undecided

Priest who had been banned from public ministry for molesting a young girl is given a position with access to teen girls
http://www.mediaite.com/online/activists-sound-the-alarm-after-priest-who-was-accused-of-assault-is-given-position-at-teen-pregnancy-center/

cc Reyginus,
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 12:40pm On May 10, 2016
urahara:

Some people just keep getting dumber and dumber everyday

Dumb or dangerously ignorant?

How can you say that someone should not go to school because you want your church/pastor to receive tithe money?

This is why we need some secular channel to be reading out "dumb nairaland comments" to shame some of these people on tv or youtube

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by urahara(m): 4:07pm On May 10, 2016
JackBizzle:

Dumb or dangerously ignorant?

How can you say that someone should not go to school because you want your church/pastor to receive tithe money?

This is why we need some secular channel to be reading out "dumb nairaland comments" to shame some of these people on tv or youtube

There is a secular channel that does that called , the vegan atheist . maybe i should email the guy first
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by malvisguy212: 7:20pm On May 10, 2016
JackBizzle:
cc kingebukasblog, analice107, malvisguy212,winner01, Reyginus, Uyiiredia

I thought you want to say "can you imagine the bible say...". But NO, its a christian brother. Almost, all home have bad eggs, one of christ disciple betray jesus. So relax.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by analice107: 7:27pm On May 10, 2016
malvisguy212:
I thought you want to say "can you imagine the bible say...". But NO, its a christian brother. Almost, all home have bad eggs, one of christ disciple betray jesus. So relax.
You had time to respond to that one. lol
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 10:15pm On May 10, 2016
malvisguy212:

Among every 12 there is a Judas abi?

Among every 12 Nigerian christians, 7 are tithe hustlers

Among every 12 Nigerian pastors, 13 are tithe hustlers.

Yet you are here talking about bad eggs. Menn, you have as much rotten eggs in the basket as good ones. Better go and educate your brothers in christ.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 10:16pm On May 10, 2016
analice107:

You had time to respond to that one. lol

I appreciate the irony. You are complaining that someone responded by responding to the response.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 10:22pm On May 10, 2016
urahara:

There is a secular channel that does that called , the vegan atheist . maybe i should email the guy first

lol...the guy would need to employ staff because the amount of silly comments on Nairaland he would have to got through.....
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by analice107: 5:55am On May 11, 2016
JackBizzle:

I appreciate the irony. You are complaining that someone responded by responding to the response.
I have taken time to study the minds of folks in this forum, and i have come to the conclusion that some folks are not worth the trouble, and you Logicboy are one of such individuals, so i can't bother with your illogical opinions. So you see, whatever you say doesn't matter to me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply)

Policemen Sent To Inspect Christ Embassy In UK Get Rhapsody Of Realities / Pastor Funke Adejumo: Full Time Housewife Is Full Time Suffering PLC Limited / Prophet Samuel Olaluwoye: "How They Use Broom To Lock People's Destiny"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.