Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,598 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! - Religion (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! (34893 Views)

One Hallelujah Records Will Not Partner With Secular Artistes – RCCG / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / Can I Listen To Secular Music/clubbing And Still Be A Devoted Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by hahn(m): 4:50pm On Jul 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

How did this elude you ? I agree there's the supernatural and you abnegated it . So go and challenge the herbalists to ascertain if their charms are potent or not . I mean , if you are afraid which apparently you then your atheistic views are conjectural or tentative .

Lol. Bubu, you challenged me and I accepted. Okay, the babalawo will test on me only. But you still haven't accepted my own challenge to go to Igbobi and I challenged you FIRST on https://www.nairaland.com/3153402/finally-atheists-proven-wrong

So, Stop being a puzzi and let's meet grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:51pm On Jul 05, 2016
Lilbrown007:

Yeah U Just Confirmed That Man Is Responsible For Its Action And No God Has Anything To Do With It Even If A Child Wanna Get Raped He Just Over Look It While The Child Scream In Pains But If Someone Happens To Be There(Man) He Will Quickly Stop It And Call The Authorities !! So Keep Up The Good Work Ur Brain Is Opening Small Small

A quintessential non sequitur
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

A quint essential non sequitur
Not Logical Yeah Good Keep Spinning That Brain!! AND Showing Ur Stupidity
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:57pm On Jul 05, 2016
hahn:

Lol. Bubu, you challenged me and I accepted. Okay, the babalawo will test on me only. But you still haven't accepted my own challenge to go to Igbobi and I challenged you FIRST on https://www.nairaland.com/3153402/finally-atheists-proven-wrong

So, Stop being a puzzi and let's meet grin

Again , how did this elude you ? If the charms are potent then there wont be any need to showboat with my supernatural fortification . And again , God does not like showboating so you are left with testing the potency of the 'dark side'
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by hahn(m): 5:17pm On Jul 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Again , how did this elude you ? If the charms are potent then there wont be any need to showboat with my supernatural fortification . And again , God does not like showboating so you are left with testing the potency of the 'dark side'

undecided
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 6:08pm On Jul 05, 2016
ifenes:

There is no paradox in Time Travel.

If you time-travel to the time of your grand-father and kill him before he has any children, then your father could not have been born. Then you also could not have been born. So, if you were never born, how could you go back in time to kill your grand-father?

Knowing that Time is an illusion and everything is happening now, all time is truly NOW. Your past lives are occurring right NOW. future lives are occurring right NOW. All time periods are co-existing right NOW. Since there are an infinite number of time-lines - all simultaneously co-existing,may even appear to be practically identical to your own past or future. Your grandfather exists in other time lines but a different one to the one you will kill in the past but very identical and similar.

A lady had a parallel shift and unconsciously time traveled to another Time-line,where she is still with her Ex,she lived in the same house but the color of her couch was different. Even at work,her Secretary was her boss,her desk was the same. Luckily she shifted back to her time-line before being diagnosed of mental dis-order or demonic possession by a pastor.

That is what has been wacking my head in some time travel movies.. I always felt something missing when an event is altered in the past and the future has to be re-written.
What do you think of the bolded Johnydon22 ?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 6:16pm On Jul 05, 2016
dblackninja:

That is what has been wacking my head in some time travel movies.. I always felt something missing when an event is altered in the past and the future has to be re-written.
What do you think of the bolded Johnydon22 ?

It's the grand father's paradox - since killing your grand father means you never even existed, if you never existed then you never killed your grand father.

Therefore it is paradoxical therefore impossible.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 6:21pm On Jul 05, 2016
johnydon22:

It's the grand father's paradox - since killing your grand father means you never even existed, if you never existed then you never killed your grand father.

Therefore it is paradoxical therefore impossible.
Yeah exactly.. because of that, I have at last concluded that time travel can never ever be possible. No matter how you put your head around it, it doesn't seem right and possible.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 6:25pm On Jul 05, 2016
dblackninja:

Yeah exactly.. because of that, I have at last concluded that time travel can never ever be possible. No matter how you put your head around it, it doesn't seem right and possible.

We are always travelling through time but only forward. . .Time is permitted to go forward, slow down or even appear to stop but never backwards.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 6:51pm On Jul 05, 2016
johnydon22:

We are always travelling through time but only forward. . . Time is permitted to go forward, slow down or even appear to stop but never backwards.

Very correct bro.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by ifenes(m): 7:21pm On Jul 05, 2016
dblackninja:

Very correct bro.

Time does not travel forward or backward. Everything(future and past) is happening now. Time,Motion etc are not real,they only help us experience things in sequence. What you have been experiencing your whole life is like a hall of film projector. There is the illusion of "time" only when the film projector displays those frames - one frame at a time - in a rapid steady sequence. Yet, ALL those frames exist simultaneously. In fact the projectionist can take out the roll of film, spread it out on the floor and view all those frames at the same time.

In a similar manner, our consciousness "projects" individual "still frames of reality" in a steady and extremely rapid sequence. We are basically "Time Traveling" almost a Billion time per sec.

Our Higher Self(or true self) functions like the film projectionist, who can take out the roll of film and view ALL the frames simultaneously. Our Higher Self functions in a timeless eternal-NOW zone. This is where the idea of God being eternal came from,which is Us.

Time is a continuous illusion,same as Motion.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 7:49pm On Jul 05, 2016
ifenes:

Time does not travel forward or backward. Everything(future and past) is happening now. Time,Motion etc are not real,they only help us experience things in sequence. What you have been experiencing your whole life is like a hall of film projector. There is the illusion of "time" only when the film projector displays those frames - one frame at a time - in a rapid steady sequence. Yet, ALL those frames exist simultaneously. In fact the projectionist can take out the roll of film, spread it out on the floor and view all those frames at the same time.

In a similar manner, our consciousness "projects" individual "still frames of reality" in a steady and extremely rapid sequence. We are basically "Time Traveling" almost a Billion time per sec.

Our Higher Self(or true self) functions like the film projectionist, who can take out the roll of film and view ALL the frames simultaneously. Our Higher Self functions in a timeless eternal-NOW zone. This is where the idea of God being eternal came from,which is Us.

Time is a continuous illusion,same as Motion.

No my brother you don't get the time concept. I can only agree with you that time doesn't travel back.
Do you know about special relativity in physics, time dilation, et al
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Oxytocin(m): 8:06pm On Jul 05, 2016
Let's take for example.
A car moving on a straight recurring road, and then the speed increases infinitely. i.e
V→∞
..at a point in time, it gets to a speed where we see nothing, literally it has disappeared... or it's in another dimension prolly the future,as velocity and time are inversely proportional.. BUT The car is still there, still moving on that same road... the determinant here is the speed.

Now what proof do we have of it's existence in the dimension we are in??
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 8:20pm On Jul 05, 2016
Oxytocin:
Let's take for example.
A car moving on a straight recurring road, and then the speed increases infinitely. i.e
V→∞
..at a point in time, it gets to a speed where we see nothing, literally it has disappeared... or it's in another dimension prolly the future,as velocity and time are inversely proportional.. BUT The car is still there, still moving on that same road... the determinant here is the speed.

Now what proof do we have of it's existence in the dimension we are in??
I don't think this is the right question you wanna ask..but if it is, then you the observer is the proof of its existence.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Oxytocin(m): 8:44pm On Jul 05, 2016
dblackninja:

I don't think this is the right question you wanna ask..but if it is, then you the observer is the proof of its existence.
You are not getting the question right,that's why I speculated in 'the dimension' we are in.
At that point in time, to an observer, it doesn't literally exist..because technically he is seeing nothing.
Now to the dimension the car bumps into,'the future' supposedly, it is of empirical reality there.

Now how can we really prove that the car is existing in that same dimension we are in at the that point in time??

This brings rise to the opinion that every thing is co-existing at the same time, the future present, and past... Time is just the determinant,helping us experience them in a sequential peculiarity.

IMO... I think time is the only true unit of measure.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 9:14pm On Jul 05, 2016
Oxytocin:

You are not getting the question right,that's why I speculated in 'the dimension' we are in.
At that point in time, to an observer, it doesn't literally exist..because technically he is seeing nothing.
Now to the dimension the car bumps into,'the future' supposedly, it is of empirical reality there.

Now how can we really prove that the car is existing in that same dimension we are in at the that point in time??

Do you really think that a car literally bump off to another dimension? It's not possible bro. You can say it's moving faster in time. Whether you're seeing nothing, or a light or some wave doesn't mean the car is no longer there.

This brings rise to the opinion that every thing is co-existing at the same time, the future present, and past... Time is just the determinant,helping us experience them in a sequential peculiarity.

IMO... I think time is the only true unit of measure.

Also remember that time=speed×distance for yourcar analogy.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by ifenes(m): 9:53pm On Jul 05, 2016
dblackninja:

No my brother you don't get the time concept. I can only agree with you that time doesn't travel back.
Do you know about special relativity in physics, time dilation, et al

What is the concept of Time? (a question to you)

Meanwhile,if you will agree with me that All thing exist NOW,then what you call the Past and what you call the Future exist Together Nothing is chiseled in stones,its probability. But looking at a Linear experience in which our Minds create the continuity which creates a Past and Future for convenience sake. But they all exist right now.

What ever you choose to be in the Present,that's a completely different person every micro-seconds of that particular Life-experience. If you decide to be a different person in the Future,you will automatically have a different Past. The Past doesn't determine the Future,neither does the Future determine the past.

That may sound confusing at first but let it sink in. Example; You jumped from a tree to another, now you have a different root because you have jumped/switched tree. When you become a Pastor in the future,you have changed your past. Your present has changed the past.

If someone has a drug addiction and truly truly decides to change from that and successfully changed,then he never had an addict because he is now a new person. That is what the Christians call being "born again" a new creature.

Basically we are Human "beings" who continues to be in the Now. No past no future,all is Now.

Time Dilation

There is an effect of time variation. When we move closer to the Speed of Light( which is a border to our reality) the phenomenon of time dilation is noticed to occurs. Time slows down the faster you move in space. This is what created the "twin paradox",where two twins of the same age. One set of twin traveled on a spacecraft and traveled very close to the speed of light. Time for them will slow down and when they got back they looked many many years younger than the other ones. If you travel 50% the speed of light the more space time you use. If you stand still you use more time and when you move you use less time. The closer you travel to the speed of light,the more space of space time you use. less time more space,less space more time.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Wow . . .Your "Dodging" Abilities are World Class. grin grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 7:58am On Jul 06, 2016
ifenes:

What is the concept of Time? (a question to you)

Meanwhile,if you will agree with me that All thing exist NOW,then what you call the Past and what you call the Future exist Together Nothing is chiseled in stones,its probability. But looking at a Linear experience in which our Minds create the continuity which creates a Past and Future for convenience sake. But they all exist right now.

What ever you choose to be in the Present,that's a completely different person every micro-seconds of that particular Life-experience. If you decide to be a different person in the Future,you will automatically have a different Past. The Past doesn't determine the Future,neither does the Future determine the past.

That may sound confusing at first but let it sink in. Example; You jumped from a tree to another, now you have a different root because you have jumped/switched tree. When you become a Pastor in the future,you have changed your past. Your present has changed the past.

If someone has a drug addiction and truly truly decides to change from that and successfully changed,then [s] he never had an addict because he is now a new person. That is what the Christians call being "born again" a new creature. [/s]

Basically we are Human "beings" who continues to be in the Now. No past no future,all is Now.

Time Dilation

There is an effect of time variation. When we move closer to the Speed of Light( which is a border to our reality) the phenomenon of time dilation is noticed to occurs. Time slows down the faster you move in space. This is what created the "twin paradox",where two twins of the same age. One set of twin traveled on a spacecraft and traveled very close to the speed of light. Time for them will slow down and when they got back they looked many many years younger than the other ones. If you travel 50% the speed of light the more space time you use. If you stand still you use more time and when you move you use less time. The closer you travel to the speed of light,the more space of space time you use. less time more space,less space more time.

Time time time.
Time is part of the fundamental structure of the universe (space-time)—a dimension independent of events, in which events occur sequentially.

Time is the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future. Time is a component quantity of various measurements used to sequence events, to compare the duration of events or the intervals between them.

Time makes sense only when it’s connected to something, but is it just an illusion that doesn't hold sway whatsoever? We are living in a universe that help us to relate to any other thing.
Einstein's theories on relativity made us to realise somehow that we can’t have time in a void because there would be nothing to relate it to.
Your notion that is just an illusion doesn't hold unless we take everything in this universe to be an illusion as well.
What is a triangle? Just a name we carved out to relate to something. Does a triangle exist- how can we know if there's nothing to relate it to. Just like colour and every other thing you can think.

Your examples above is faulty...because it doesn't strike out the fact that you were an addict before.

Let me help you out with a scenario...

Imagine that a rock is the only inhabitant of the universe, and ask yourself these questions:

What position does it have? Does this question have any meaning? No, because position can only be defined with respect to another position or thing.

How about what size is it? Again we have nothing to compare it to.

Does it continue to exist? Well, it doesn’t change, there’s nothing that’s going to come along and impact it.

So how can we tell the passage of time? Now you can’t because both space and time will have no meaning at all.
That scenario illustrates the fact that it’s the interaction of things, objects, people— all of the things that exist in the universe that provides a framework in which time and space have meaning.

It's from such relation that we can now say that time is permitted to go forward, slow down or even appear to stop but never backwards.
Gravity and velocity in relation causes time to slow down or speed up...that's why I asked you about time dilation.

Hope you get it. Am not a very good student of physics, maybe Johnny can us help out more.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by ifenes(m): 10:48am On Jul 06, 2016
dblackninja:

Time time time.
Time is part of the fundamental structure of the universe (space-time)—a dimension independent of events, in which events occur sequentially.

Time is the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future. Time is a component quantity of various measurements used to sequence events, to compare the duration of events or the intervals between them.

Time makes sense only when it’s connected to something, but is it just an illusion that doesn't hold sway whatsoever? We are living in a universe that help us to relate to any other thing.
Einstein's theories on relativity made us to realise somehow that we can’t have time in a void because there would be nothing to relate it to.
Your notion that is just an illusion doesn't hold unless we take everything in this universe to be an illusion as well.
What is a triangle? Just a name we carved out to relate to something. Does a triangle exist- how can we know if there's nothing to relate it to. Just like colour and every other thing you can think.

Your examples above is faulty...because it doesn't strike out the fact that you were an addict before.

Let me help you out with a scenario...

Imagine that a rock is the only inhabitant of the universe, and ask yourself these questions:

What position does it have? Does this question have any meaning? No, because position can only be defined with respect to another position or thing.

How about what size is it? Again we have nothing to compare it to.

Does it continue to exist? Well, it doesn’t change, there’s nothing that’s going to come along and impact it.

So how can we tell the passage of time? Now you can’t because both space and time will have no meaning at all.
That scenario illustrates the fact that it’s the interaction of things, objects, people— all of the things that exist in the universe that provides a framework in which time and space have meaning.

It's from such relation that we can now say that time is permitted to go forward, slow down or even appear to stop but never backwards.
Gravity and velocity in relation causes time to slow down or speed up...that's why I asked you about time dilation.

Hope you get it. Am not a very good student of physics, maybe Johnny can us help out more.

Time and Space / metaphysics is something I am very good with. I have lots of research tools/proper experiments on Time, dimensions, Energy,Religion etc. What I say are facts, not just school books. I have gone beyond that.

If you think someone else knows better it is fine. I only share knowledge whenever I see topics of interest. Go online you will see similar explanations. Good luck
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 11:25am On Jul 06, 2016
ifenes:

Time and Space / metaphysics is something I am very good with. I have lots of research tools/proper experiments on Time, dimensions, Energy,Religion etc. What I say are facts, not just school books. I have gone beyond that.

If you think someone else knows better it is fine. I only share knowledge whenever I see topics of interest. Go online you will see similar explanations. Good luck

Oh didn't know you are the master of time and space..lol a joke.
I only called johnydon22 to help us (note that I said us) because I equate him to a physicist (as I have seen him in action and he superseds my knowledge in that field). I didn't know you were good too.

But then you should know that time is used in relation to the universe like everything else (e.g: speed, distance, colour etc. ) I get where you are coming from: that time is not a single entity that can move or exist on it's own (absolute time) but once it's used in relation to something, it moves and exists.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by ifenes(m): 11:53am On Jul 06, 2016
dblackninja:

Oh didn't know you are the master of time and space..lol a joke.
I only called johnydon22 to help us (note that I said us) because I equate him to a physicist (as I have seen him in action and he superseds my knowledge in that field). I didn't know you were good too.

But then you should know that time is used in relation to the universe like everything else (e.g: speed, distance, colour etc. ) I get where you are coming from: that time is not a single entity that can move or exist on it's own (absolute time) but once it's used in relation to something, it moves and exists.

Time is an illusion, one the many tools( Colorado, motion, distance, like you rightly said) we are using to become more of our true selves. The faster our vibrational frequency the less time you consume. But meanwhile in reality we are one particle, motionless.

Have you noticed how less time you dream even when you sleep for 10 hours.

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 12:57pm On Jul 06, 2016
ifenes:

Time is an illusion, one the many tools( Colorado, motion, distance, like you rightly said) we are using to become more of our true selves. The faster our vibrational frequency the less time you consume. But meanwhile in reality we are one particle, motionless.

Have you noticed how less time you dream even when you sleep for 10 hours.

I hardly dream anyway..except on rare occasions that I ate good food in dreams as a result of not eating before sleeping---hope there's no evil supernatural effect of that?

And from the concept of time that we talked about, can we now say that time is permitted to (can) go forward, slow down or even appear to stop but never backwards?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by ifenes(m): 3:14pm On Jul 06, 2016
dblackninja:

I hardly dream anyway..except on rare occasions that I ate good food in dreams as a result of not eating before sleeping---hope there's no evil supernatural effect of that?

And from the concept of time that we talked about, can we now say that time is permitted to (can) go forward, slow down or even appear to stop but never backwards?

Time again I will say is an Illusion. It is not real. Past and Future are Now. We are presently not traveling into future neither are we traveling back into the past. Time makes it seem as if we are traveling. Just like Motion,when you walk,you are really not walking. If you have the illusion of moving forward you can also have the illusion of going back in time. Look up "Mirror Universe" or " Parallel Universe" These stuff are not really in Physics Text book because the people we call Physicist are still learning more about how Time and the Universe works.

Eating in the dream world is has no supernatural effect unless you are willing to buy into another definition or a Time-line where it does have an effect.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 3:20pm On Jul 06, 2016
ifenes:

Time again I will say is an Illusion. It is not real. Past and Future are Now. We are presently not traveling into future neither are we traveling back into the past. Time makes it seem as if we are traveling. Just like Motion,when you walk,you are really not walking. If you have the illusion of moving forward you can also have the illusion of going back in time. Look up "Mirror Universe" or " Parallel Universe" These stuff are not really in Physics Text book because the people we call Physicist are still learning more about how Time and the Universe works.

Eating in the dream world is has no supernatural effect unless you are willing to buy into another definition or a Time-line where it does have an effect.
Okay.
Unto the next one, what sort of time-line does it have an effect?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Born2Freak(f): 11:08am On Jul 26, 2016
Awesome! I read this thread all night! I appreciate the comments from dblackninja, ifenes and Johnydon22.

Jackbizzle, you like timetravel so much! I wonder what you would do if you could go back in time!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by ifenes(m): 11:14am On Jul 26, 2016
Born2Freak:
Awesome! I read this thread all night! I appreciate the comments from dblackninja, ifenes and Johnydon22.

Jackbizzle, you like timetravel so much! I wonder what you would do if you could go back in time!

You are welcomed!

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by ifenes(m): 11:16am On Jul 26, 2016
dblackninja:

Okay.
Unto the next one, what sort of time-line does it have an effect?

That is here parallel realities comes into effect.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Born2Freak(f): 11:17am On Jul 26, 2016
ifenes:

You are welcomed!

Awesome!

I had to read your post on time-travel twice to understand it. It is not easy grasping the theory that time is an illusion. But if you think about it deeply, you will understand.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by ifenes(m): 11:28am On Jul 26, 2016
Born2Freak:

Awesome!

I had to read your post on time-travel twice to understand it. It is not easy grasping the theory that time is an illusion. But if you think about it deeply, you will understand.

Exactly my sister, Time travel takes time to comprehend. It takes a calm and interested mind to understand it. Once you get the principles of space and time you will begin to uncover more webs and more mysteries solved. I believe the world is a puzzle meant to be solved by clever folks

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 7:22am On Jul 27, 2016
Born2Freak:

Wassap babes?

If I could go back in time, I would teach my younger self how to be even richer!
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
Born2Freak:

He'd be King Solomon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

David Oyedepo To Nigerians: 2020 Is A Year Of Breaking Limits / Could Russia's Invasion Of Ukraine Be A Fulfilment Of Biblical Prophecy? / Nigeria Adopts Jordan As Permanent Pilgrimage Destination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.