Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 (33287 Views)

Tupac’s Mother, Afeni Shakur Dies / Tupac’s Mother Afeni Shakur IS DEAD / Afeni Shakur, Mother Of Tupac, Dies At 69 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by faaz24: 11:03am On May 04, 2016
GloriaNinja:
i suspect foul play in her death.

The referee has given her free kick already.

RIP dear mama....to the person that says she's ugly, why not listen to the voices of reason and post your 'pretty' mama's picture.

To be foolish in the confine of ones home can be managed but the moment you display foolishness to the world via the internet.... (smh) synagogue beckons.

1 Like

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by Haslil878(m): 11:04am On May 04, 2016
DExplorer1:

"Dear mama" RIP

Afeni Shakur Davis, the famous rapper Tupac Shakur's mother and a member of the infamous "Panther 21" in the 1970s, has died aged 69, California officials say.

Davis' death was first announced by the Marin County Sheriff. She had reportedly been living on a houseboat in Sausalito, Calif. A cause of death has not yet been given.

Born Alice Faye Williams, she changed her name as an adult when she became politically active and joined the Black Panther movement. A native of North Carolina, Davis first gained prominence as one of 21 members of the Black Panther party put on trail in New York in 1969 for allegedly plotting to shoot and bomb two New York City police stations and an education center. It was at the time the most expensive trial in New York history and ended with an acquittal of all defendants.

She gave birth to two children, most famously Lesane Parish Crooks in June of 1971, who was later known as Tupac Shakur. Tupac's dad, Billy Garland, had been acquitted with Davis in the Panther 21 trial just a month before he was born.

As she bounced from New York City to Baltimore to California, falling deeper into drugs and the Black Panther movement, she enrolled young Tupac in several arts schools and programs, where he honed the natural musical and acting gifts that would make him a hip-hop icon.

In later life, Davis spent much of her time managing her late son's massively popular musical legacy after he was gunned down at age 25 on a Las Vegas street corner in 1996. Shakur's musical catalog was netting about $900 million per year at the time of her death, reports the New York Daily News.

In 2003 on the release of the movie "Tupac Resurrection," Davis told CBS News: "I'm not a filmmaker. I'm not a music producer by choice. Whatever it is I'm doing I do because my son was murdered, and he was not able to complete his work. So as his mother, my whole job and responsibility is to see to it that that happens for him, and I do that with love."

Davis was often noted for talking with frankness and candor, whether discussing her former crack habit or her son's own mistakes, which she allowed to be chronicled directly.

Davis rarely talked about the fact that the killing of her son is still unsolved, and insisted in her CBS News interview she did not think about it.

"Not a second. Not even a nanosecond have I concerned myself with who shot him or why they shot him, or what should happen to them. I don't care what happens to them," she says fiercely. "I spend my time putting my sons work out, because guess what - they shot him, (but) did not shut him up though."

More recently, Davis had been involved in a divorce dispute with North Carolina minister Gust Davis, reports TMZ.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tupac-shakur-mother-afeni-shakur-davis-dies-age-69/
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by Lordbinsmar: 11:19am On May 04, 2016
clefstone:
Even as a crack fiend mama, you always was a black queen mama
i finally understand for a woman it isn't easy trying raise a man.she always was committed a poor single mama on well fare tell me how you did it.there is no way i could pay you back,but my plan is to show you that i understand.
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by sinceraconcept(m): 11:20am On May 04, 2016
proxillin:
Afeni?

Yorubas in the house. Whats your take?
In our Yoloba language,Afeni means someone who likes others

3 Likes

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by inri: 11:21am On May 04, 2016
A PERSON'S GREATEST MOULDERS ARE GOD & MOTHER. AFENI WAS A GOD-MOTHER! GOODBYE SOLDIER
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by justjify(m): 11:27am On May 04, 2016
Rest in peace ma... cry
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by freecocoa(f): 11:28am On May 04, 2016
Wolf06:

Well, I worry and care a lot about seeing a few loved ones I've lost and will definitely lose
Well, if we die and we happen to see them(which seems highly unlikely), great! but while we are here, we should hold onto our memories of them, not lose ourselves worrying and believing we'll meet them.

2 Likes

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by ApexTitan(m): 11:37am On May 04, 2016
GloriaNinja:
i suspect foul play in her death.

What is the basis of your suspicion?
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by Generalyemi(m): 11:38am On May 04, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:
Why she come ugly like this
your mum fine pass her but we no know her.
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by sabi99(m): 12:07pm On May 04, 2016
I wish I can take d pain away, if u cud make tru d night there's a brighter day, everytn wud be alright if u hold long, ds struggle everyday gotta go long, and there's no way I can pay u back, buh ma plan is 2 show u that I understand.....dear mama RIP and may God infinite mercy accept ur soul in His Kingdom.
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by gozzy121(m): 12:12pm On May 04, 2016
R. I. P. Tears close the casket

1 Like

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by engrkaz(m): 12:12pm On May 04, 2016
[size=8pt]AND EVEN AS A CRACK FIEND...YOU ALWAYS WAS BLACK QUEEN....[/17][color=#006600][/color]

1 Like

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by fagin1982(m): 12:18pm On May 04, 2016
There are no words that can express how I feel
You never kept a secret, always stayed real
And I appreciate, how you raised me
And all the extra love that you gave me
I wish I could take the pain away
If you can make it through the night there's a brighter day
Everything will be alright if ya hold on
It's a struggle everyday, gotta roll on
And there's no way I can pay you back
But my plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated

Dear Mama - Tupac Shakur

2 Likes

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by Beetobee(f): 12:19pm On May 04, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

Hope you know what you said is a form of blasphemy as God is the Creator of beautiful and ugly creatures.
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by jeje123(m): 12:20pm On May 04, 2016
Speakdatruth:
post your mother's picture and let's see
God bless you
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by jeje123(m): 12:21pm On May 04, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:
Idiot who dash you megabite?
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by OROSUNBOLB(m): 12:22pm On May 04, 2016
proxillin:
Afeni?

Yorubas in the house. Whats your take?

Eni afe la mo, a o mo eni to'feni = Afeni
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by SirShymexx: 12:28pm On May 04, 2016
fagin1982:
There are no words that can express how I feel
You never kept a secret, always stayed real
And I appreciate, how you raised me
And all the extra love that you gave me
I wish I could take the pain away
If you can make it through the night there's a brighter day
Everything will be alright if ya hold on
It's a struggle everyday, gotta roll on
And there's no way I can pay you back
But my plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated

Dear Mama - Tupac Shakur

She's truly appreciated and she's in Thug Mansion cotching and kicking it with 2pac right now.

Jamming to Thugz Mansion right now.

A place to spend my quiet nights, time to unwind/
So much pressure in this life of mine, I cry at times/
I once contemplated suicide, and woulda tried/
But when I held that 9, all I could see was my momma's eyes/
No one knows my struggle, they only see the trouble/
Not knowing it's hard to carry on when no one loves you/
Picture me inside the misery of poverty/
No man alive has ever witnessed struggles I survived/
Praying hard for better days, promise to hold on/
Me and my dawgs ain't have a choice but to roll on/
We found a family spot to kick it/
Where we can drink liquor and no one bickers over trick shyte/
A spot where we can smoke in peace, and even though we Gs/
We still visualise places, that we can roll in peace/
And in my mind's eye I see this place, the players go in fast/
I got a spot for us all, so we can ball, at thug's mansion

Dear momma don't cry, your baby boy's doing good/
Tell the homies I'm in heaven and they ain't got hoods/
Seen a show with Marvin Gaye last night, it had me shook/
Dripping peppermint Schnapps, with Jackie Wilson, and Sam Cooke/
Then some lady named Billie Holiday/
Sang sittin there kickin it with Malcolm, till the day came/

Little LaTasha sure grown/
Tell the lady in the liquor store that she's forgiven, so come home/
Maybe in time you'll understand only God can save us/
When Miles Davis cutting lose with the band/
Just think of all the people that you knew in the past/
That passed on, they in heaven, found peace at last/
Picture a place that they exist, together/
There has to be a place better than this, in heaven/
So right before I sleep, dear God, what I'm asking/
Remember this face, save me a place, in thug's mansion

4 Likes

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by livinstone8(m): 12:35pm On May 04, 2016
there's no way I can pay you back, but my plan is to show you that I understand, dear mama
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by Coldfeets: 12:36pm On May 04, 2016
for a woman it ain't easy tryin to raise a man

You always was committed

A poor single mother on welfare, tell me how ya did it

There's no way I can pay you back

But the plan is to show you that I understand

You are appreciated
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 04, 2016
Is she Yoruba? AFENI
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by SirShymexx: 12:40pm On May 04, 2016
And Nas (Nasty Nas, Escobar, and God's son) paying his homage to Afeni Shakur on the acoustic version of Thugz Mansion.

I'm just twenty-some-odd years, I done lost my mother/
And I cried tears of joy, I know she smiles on her boy/
I dream of you more, my love goes to Afeni Shakur/
Cos like Ann Jones, she raised a ghetto king in a war/
And just for that alone she shouldn't feel no pain no more/
Cause one day we'll all be together, sipping heavenly champagne/
where angels soar, with golden wings in thug's mansion

R.I.P Afeni Shakur.

1 Like

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by fabolouz1(m): 12:44pm On May 04, 2016
Everyone would die some day but even @ 69 urs seems sudden. I grew up to admire pac and what he represented. Up till this moment i,am still not convinced that He passed away. " no love for my daddy cuz the coward wasn't there, He passed away and I didn't cry cuz my anger wouldn't me feel for a stranger..." compare this lines with " ain't a woman alive that could take my mama place" Then you can understand the impact this great lady had on one of the world's greatest Legend. Sleep well Ma!

1 Like

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by Oshotse21(m): 12:53pm On May 04, 2016
Dear mama,you are appreciated!
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by Dejavvu500: 12:57pm On May 04, 2016
DExplorer1:

Afeni Shakur Davis, the famous rapper Tupac Shakur's mother and a member of the infamous "Panther 21" in the 1970s, has died aged 69, California officials say.

Davis' death was first announced by the Marin County Sheriff. She had reportedly been living on a houseboat in Sausalito, Calif. A cause of death has not yet been given.

Born Alice Faye Williams, she changed her name as an adult when she became politically active and joined the Black Panther movement. A native of North Carolina, Davis first gained prominence as one of 21 members of the Black Panther party put on trail in New York in 1969 for allegedly plotting to shoot and bomb two New York City police stations and an education center. It was at the time the most expensive trial in New York history and ended with an acquittal of all defendants.... RIP mam

She gave birth to two children, most famously Lesane Parish Crooks in June of 1971, who was later known as Tupac Shakur. Tupac's dad, Billy Garland, had been acquitted with Davis in the Panther 21 trial just a month before he was born.

As she bounced from New York City to Baltimore to California, falling deeper into drugs and the Black Panther movement, she enrolled young Tupac in several arts schools and programs, where he honed the natural musical and acting gifts that would make him a hip-hop icon.

In later life, Davis spent much of her time managing her late son's massively popular musical legacy after he was gunned down at age 25 on a Las Vegas street corner in 1996. Shakur's musical catalog was netting about $900 million per year at the time of her death, reports the New York Daily News.

In 2003 on the release of the movie "Tupac Resurrection," Davis told CBS News: "I'm not a filmmaker. I'm not a music producer by choice. Whatever it is I'm doing I do because my son was murdered, and he was not able to complete his work. So as his mother, my whole job and responsibility is to see to it that that happens for him, and I do that with love."

Davis was often noted for talking with frankness and candor, whether discussing her former crack habit or her son's own mistakes, which she allowed to be chronicled directly.

Davis rarely talked about the fact that the killing of her son is still unsolved, and insisted in her CBS News interview she did not think about it.

"Not a second. Not even a nanosecond have I concerned myself with who shot him or why they shot him, or what should happen to them. I don't care what happens to them," she says fiercely. "I spend my time putting my sons work out, because guess what - they shot him, (but) did not shut him up though."

More recently, Davis had been involved in a divorce dispute with North Carolina minister Gust Davis, reports TMZ.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tupac-shakur-mother-afeni-shakur-davis-dies-age-69/
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by myners007: 1:06pm On May 04, 2016
I appreciated her effort in fighting for emancipation of the black race as well as giving a rap legend(2Pac) to the world.
Adieu Mama

Dear Mama,
They sentence me to death,
today is my dying day
i count on every breath

May her soul and Pac's live on

1 Like

Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 04, 2016
weird mc
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by sukkot: 1:51pm On May 04, 2016
SirShymexx:
Just here to pay tribute to one of the bravest/greatest strong black women that ever lived. Apart from being Tupac's mother and even without Tupac, she was a black icon. She was a black panther and one of the leaders of the Harlem branch of the Black Panther Party. She marched with men and dared the racism, injustice, and tyranny of the US government. She was also one of the 21 black panthers wrongful convicted by New York city, thus making it the most expensive trial in New York City's history. But while others had solicitors to defend them - she was her own solicitor (extreme intelligent, savvy, and knowledgeable woman). It was during incarceration that she had Tupac.

Thanks Queen Afeni Shakur for ya contributions to black history/struggle and for blessing the world with ya son. Personally, without 2pac's music, I don't think I would be where I'm today. 2pac's music changed my life and it helped me through all my struggles. He made tunes about/for everything. Every time I'm down in solitude, with no one around to talk to - I just listen to 2pac all day. And I'll never forget my 2pac moment. The first and only time I ever cried while listening to music. It was my doozy, the Zen master, and I - and all we listened to that day were "White man's world" and "who do you believe" - till we were touched by an angel and we both started crying. That's how spiritual 2pac's music can get sometimes.

You showed/taught 2pac the game and through him you were able to touch the lives of millions of us across the globe in our daily struggles. Your son was the emperor and field marshal of all disadvantaged ghetto soldiers across the globe and all we had growing up was the spiritual music 2pac gave to the world. You're appreciated, mama.

Rest in power in the hands of the angels. Gone but will never be forgotten. Say hello to Tupac, Harriet Tubman, Queen Mother Moore, Maya Angelou, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, Huey P. Newton, MLK, et al who died in the struggle. And hopefully, Bobby Seal, Angela Davis, and Assata Shakur would stay with us for a few more years so more people can get to read about their stories.

Sukkot, come pay ya last respect to the black icon. cool
everybody dying brah. you are a british lad so you should know holyoaks. one of the white niggas in dat just died today. afeni has gone to join the ancestors in the stars. i wonder which constellation her star will be located at ? maybe she will be in piscis austrinus or triangulum australe. ahhh wellll she came saw and conquered. till we meet again in the reincarnation afeni cry
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by GloriaNinja(f): 1:58pm On May 04, 2016
ApexTitan:

What is the basis of your suspicion?
her divorce from ex husband and rift regarding Tupac's estate between them.
Re: Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at Age 69 by joseph1832(m): 2:00pm On May 04, 2016
Caseless:
grin grin i'm sorry about that
Ignore the lobby and read the other part of the post. For now, that's a signature part of my post until after the election. Thank you .

Vote ivyy for miss nairaland 2016!
www.nairaland.com/ivyy
mynd44, lalasticlala, dominique. I'm being provoked here.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Regina Daniels Stuns In Native Bridal Attire And Make-Up / Toke Makinwa: Happy Birthday To Drake, My Future Baby Daddy / Alexreports With His Wife & Two Kids - Churchill & Maduka (video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.