Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,736 members, 7,955,798 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:21 PM

Should I Change My Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Change My Job? (11409 Views)

Why I Lost My Job At An Airtel Shop Today / My Job Is Making Me Suicidal.. Pls I Need Advice / Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Change My Job? by johnshagb(m): 9:36pm On May 03, 2016
My fellow NLders your sincere counsel is needed. A friend is in a serious dilemma.

I am presently working in a good Construction company well organised , better contract prospects, regular salary, no intimidating from management but no possibility of career growth, my pay is relatively small compared to what is obtainable among my professional colleagues, no assurance of getting up to 30k increment in the next five years and am distance from my family (visit twice a month)

Now I have an offer in a company where my family is based with about 10% higher pay and to head department (more challenging to boost my career) but the fear is the staff are been owned about 3months salary and not sure of viable current projects (although great ones in the past)
Please I need your advice if I should move.
Thanks you

Please mod move this to the FP for better contributions. Thank you.
Re: Should I Change My Job? by lipranco: 11:29pm On May 03, 2016
A bird at hand is better than many in the bush. Just stick to the one that pays you than the one that owes her employees. my thoughts though

12 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by nmreports: 5:23am On May 04, 2016
Stay where you are.
This is not a really smart question you asked though.

Pointers (Red Flags) that you should not ignore:

1) You have a family to cater for (What the heck is the use of HOD without salary).
2) They are owing 3 months salary.
3) Unknown territory.

The only justification that looks tenable is that you stay very far from family... but chief, a certain monthly income is worth more that a company owing three months salary. You can take this advice to the bank.

17 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by johnshagb(m): 8:03am On May 04, 2016
^ Noted, thanks.
More contributions needed
Re: Should I Change My Job? by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 04, 2016
I am coming first..delete the second paragraph please

"Now I have an offer in a company where my family is based with about 10% higher pay and to head department (more challenging to boost my career) but the fear is the staff are been owned about 3months salary and not sure of viable current projects (although great ones in the past)".

Wait till the budget is signed into law by the President and Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces, Muhammadu Buhari later this week.

Defer the new offer till June 2016 citing reasons of handover blah-blah-blah

By June I assure you that new better prospects would be begging you.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by jammani(m): 2:43pm On May 04, 2016
I am confused as well. Both case scenerio is why Patrick Obiagbon used to shout

Kun gaga tuan gaga all about

My advice : GO SPIRITUAL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Change My Job? by Drsheddy(m): 2:44pm On May 04, 2016
Pray about it.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 04, 2016
Stay where you at now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Change My Job? by NwaNimo1(m): 2:45pm On May 04, 2016
Sometimes you have ti gamble in life - make the move!
Re: Should I Change My Job? by Upnepaa(m): 2:45pm On May 04, 2016
Stay where you are,a constant salary is better than an irregular salary in this cruel economy,

Irregular salaries often result into unavoidable debt ,which is bad for you

4 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by valencia25(m): 2:47pm On May 04, 2016
Apply for the masquerade job. Thank me later wink

4 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by chibuzoreze: 2:47pm On May 04, 2016
just try and be patient
Re: Should I Change My Job? by chinawapzy(m): 2:47pm On May 04, 2016
#Agrobalm# tell u make you stay ooo cos na 9ja u dey ooo, except you wanna start agribusiness.
Re: Should I Change My Job? by charsobodo(m): 2:47pm On May 04, 2016
Personally i feel u shuld move considering dat ur family will be close to u, moreover if d new company was able to secure gud contracts in d past, certainly they can secure new ones in future & will be able to pay salaries promptly.
Re: Should I Change My Job? by Natascha(f): 2:48pm On May 04, 2016
Stay with the job you already have. You receive salary
Stay away from the second job on offer. No salary

3 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by LEOSIRSIR(m): 2:48pm On May 04, 2016
Came to read comments
Re: Should I Change My Job? by MrMcJay(m): 2:48pm On May 04, 2016
OP, if you wish to be great in life, you have to leave your comfort zone. Don't burn your opportunity because of temporary comfort.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Job? by cana882(m): 2:49pm On May 04, 2016
Boss please relocate and take the new offer. It will improve your career, your resume, and your relationship with your family most importantly.
Think of your future.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Job? by SmithHumble50: 2:50pm On May 04, 2016
Family is everything but then na sand dem go chop?

Pls remain where u are..

I am being owed 3 months salary now.. By d end of dis month it will be d 4th month..

Property development company in Abuja.. U can imagine?

I know the hell I passed through just to pay my kids school fees late last month.

Personal view.. Remain where d money comes.. We are in 9ja.. Where careers path hardly follows.. I know of engineers working in banks.. And many more..

God bless!

7 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by yomalex(m): 2:50pm On May 04, 2016
Hmm
Re: Should I Change My Job? by redcliff: 2:50pm On May 04, 2016
If this is not madness i dont know what is anymore. You are oweing workers for 3months but you are still hiring
.. everybody in nigeria now doesnt seem to be thinking straight.. even the so called logical ones.

11 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by rita25(f): 2:50pm On May 04, 2016
HOPE YOUR WIFE IS WORKING SO THAT IF YOU ARE NOT PAID 3MONTHS SHE WILL BE YOUR TIWA SAVAGE ............YOU BETTER SIT UR GREEDY ASS WHERE YOU DEY SEE DAILY BREAD,THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE AS YOU THINK

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Change My Job? by Tipss: 2:51pm On May 04, 2016
You want to take up one of them masquerade jobs ni? No jobs out here Bro
Re: Should I Change My Job? by dake40(m): 2:51pm On May 04, 2016
A bird at Hand is better that thousands in Sambisa forest..

And what happens if the claimed company owes you 3 months thereby rendering you useless?.. My brother, I know you are currently in delima. But remember there are no much employment space out there.

Much better offer ahead bro, stick with this one and watch out for nice offers coming your way..
Re: Should I Change My Job? by prodam(m): 2:52pm On May 04, 2016
I am presently working in a good Construction company well organised , better contract prospects, regular salary, no intimidating from management but no possibility of career growth, my pay is relatively small compared to what is obtainable among my professional colleagues, no assurance of getting up to 30k increment in the next five years and am distance from my family (visit twice a month)

Now I have an offer in a company where my family is based with about 10% higher pay and to head department (more challenging to boost my career) but the fear is the staff are been owned about 3months salary and not sure of viable current projects (although great ones in the past)
Please I need your advice if I should move.
Thanks you

What is your level? Your career prospects at this level?
If you are a starter, your PRIORITY should be where you will DO more not earn more, if you are a mid-level guy, do more, and get paid
If you are a senior guy, you should be looking at leading a team and getting paid SERIOUSLY.

If you are like me, just be a 7 Star Worker where ever you are. Acute business mind + constant work on self development + gather means to survive independently.

Regards

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by olu006(m): 2:52pm On May 04, 2016
Pray about it and ensure you get the go ahead from God, if not stick to your present job

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Job? by nigeriancritic1(m): 2:52pm On May 04, 2016
johnshagb:
My fellow NLders your sincere counsel is needed. A friend is in a serious dilemma.

Please mod move this to the FP for better contributions. Thank you.

WELL, I AM NOT A FAN OF STAYING PUT IN ONE ESTABLISHMENT. REMAIN AND KEEP AN EYE ON OTHER OPPORTUNITIES.
Re: Should I Change My Job? by kennysteve77: 2:52pm On May 04, 2016
I know what it means when a company is owing salary for up to 3 months. Don't be deceived... poor companies only entice people with titles like Head of Department or Manager but you'll get there to see that you are the only one in the department you are heading. You better learn all you need to learn where you are while you get paid steadily and when it's time to move, you'll rise. Don't endanger your financial life...

12 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Job? by Adatob(m): 2:52pm On May 04, 2016
Brb
Re: Should I Change My Job? by babs01(m): 2:53pm On May 04, 2016
yes
Re: Should I Change My Job? by tdemo(m): 2:53pm On May 04, 2016
WAIT;;;;;;;; let me ask Ifa undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

20 Quotes To Inspire Great Teamwork. / Are Female Bankers Truly Executive Prostitute? / I'm In Love With My Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.