Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,223 members, 7,836,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Am I Overreacting? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Am I Overreacting? (1189 Views)

Am I Overreacting? / How Do I Collect The Money My Boyfriend Promised My Bro Without Overreacting? ? / Am I Overreacting Towards My Jobless Guy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Overreacting? by flyken: 6:51am On May 04, 2016
Hello nairalanders, I will make this as simple as possible.

As a guy, it took you 4 months to put together a well deserving marriage proposal to your significant other. A lot of brain work, energy for chirographer, creativity and of course the $$ part of it. In hope to make it as surprise as you can.

Now being skeptical about telling her parents or not. Finally you decided to hint her mom just to make it even more surprise to her seeing her mother that day.

You called her (her mom) to inform her about the about the proposal, she somehow felt like you should have come to the house to tell her about it instead of a phone call. Cool you asked her the best time to come over as long as your girlfriend is not home to hear the conversation. She told you she will get back to you but never did, after a few calls to her mom and no response you decided to move on with the proposal without her present after she's not a priority in this aspect.

Fast forward after the engagement you realize that her mom actually told her you're proposing to her, how would you feel? This is hurting me so much and I have made it known to her and as we speak I am thinking about calling off the engagement. I can't stand her mother right now for this and other reasons. I love my girlfriend but I feel like I wasted my time with every damn thing.

Am I over reacting or making big deal out of nothing?
Re: Am I Overreacting? by thorpido(m): 6:58am On May 04, 2016
Yes,you're over reacting.Firstly, why did you decide to involve her mother?Proposals are done with individuals involved or you could have friends organise with you.
Secondly,you're getting married to her and not the mother so why are you angry with the one you plan to marry.
Just get over it.

1 Like

Re: Am I Overreacting? by Nobody: 7:06am On May 04, 2016
thorpido:
Yes,you're over reacting.Firstly, why did you decide to involve her mother?Proposals are done with individuals involved or you could have friends organise with you.
Secondly,you're getting married to her and not the mother so why are you angry with the one you plan to marry.
Just get over it.
baba u jst speak my mind
Re: Am I Overreacting? by Ayoemrys(m): 7:06am On May 04, 2016
no,you're just reacting over
Re: Am I Overreacting? by lomprico(m): 7:09am On May 04, 2016
flyken:

As a guy, it took you 4 months to put together a well deserving marriage proposal to your significant other. A lot of brain work, energy for chirographer, creativity and of course the $$ part of it. In hope to make it as surprise as you can.

Now being skeptical about telling her parents or not. Finally you decided to hint her mom just to make it even more surprise to her seeing her mother that day.

You called her (her mom) to inform her about the about the proposal, she somehow felt like you should have come to the house to tell her about it instead of a phone call. Cool you asked her the best time to come over as long as your girlfriend is not home to hear the conversation. She told you she will get back to you but never did, after a few calls to her mom and no response you decided to move on with the proposal without her present after she's not a priority in this aspect.

Fast forward after the engagement you realize that her mom actually told her you're proposing to her, how would you feel? This is hurting me so much and I have made it known to her and as we speak I am thinking about calling off the engagement. I can't stand her mother right now for this and other reasons. I love my girlfriend but I feel like I wasted my time with every damn thing.

Na her mama u wan marry? Unless u have other plans for her mum I dont see any need for a fuss. Yes! She has betrayed ur trust but niccur common!!

1 Like

Re: Am I Overreacting? by donbenedict(m): 7:09am On May 04, 2016
Guy take it easy, u should knw dat women dnt keep secrets. Next time wen u want to plant a surprise, u keep shut abt it

2 Likes

Re: Am I Overreacting? by kiddoiLL(m): 7:12am On May 04, 2016
Big mistake......and yes you're over reacting.. you love your fiancee, breaking the engagement because of what her mother did will get you thrown to the lions..nobody will say yes you did the right thing.. some walks you have to take alone...we need nobody to walk with us sometimes. peace

Re: Am I Overreacting? by gykes(m): 7:14am On May 04, 2016
no, you're not over reacting.

You are being childish. Calling off your engagement over such a trivial issue smh..

I honestly think your gf deserves a more mature man because you just showed how unready you are for acting in such manner and even asking such a question.

1 Like

Re: Am I Overreacting? by flyken: 7:19am On May 04, 2016
gykes:
no, you're not over reacting.

You are being childish. Calling off the your engagement over such trivial issue smh..

I honestly think your gf deserves a more mature man because you just showed how unready you are for acting in such manner and even asking such a question.

Lol why are you mad tho? Matured one. Smh

1 Like

Re: Am I Overreacting? by Nobody: 7:27am On May 04, 2016
overreacting is an understatement .....You want to call off your engagement because your bride to be 's mum told her about your plan to propose?

This your story is a Lie. ...if it is true ,See a doctor, priest ,herbalist. ..(whichever u believe in)
Re: Am I Overreacting? by cozy7(m): 7:28am On May 04, 2016
Why would u tell her mom bro? Most ladies are really buddies with their mom and we all know how women gist/gossip abt any/everything. Its d mother who showed u her colour, so wen u finally get married, this should show u how to treat your mother in law. Your woman has done no wrong, leave d lucky lady alone.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Overreacting? by flyken: 7:40am On May 04, 2016
Sempumping:
overreacting is an understatement .....You want to call off your engagement because your bride to be 's mum told her about your plan to propose?

This your story is a Lie
. ...if it is true ,See a doctor, priest ,herbalist. ..(whichever u believe in)

Says a dumb broad...
Re: Am I Overreacting? by IamLEGEND1: 7:40am On May 04, 2016
SACRILEGE!
DUMP THE DAUGHTER,ASAP.

How could she(the mother) commit such an abominable act against you.
You need to sever ties to that family, posthaste.

oh and do endeavor to inform them to provide the prerequisite items needed for the sacrifice to appease the nuptial gods.....else their daughter will become a regular at Shiloh.
Re: Am I Overreacting? by Ptoocool(m): 7:41am On May 04, 2016
I understand where this is coming from - this is betrayal

Tis a message, to expect more stuffs like this out of life, that's why we are humans,

Overreacting or not, dont cut any damn thing with your lover, you can even talk to her mum and have a good laugh over it - that's what matured men do,,

Meanwhile, forgive her but NEVER you forget
Re: Am I Overreacting? by jolade29(f): 7:44am On May 04, 2016
Lolzz which kain proposal bdat *involving d mother* u wanna break records Bro u r multiple reacting
Re: Am I Overreacting? by Nobody: 7:50am On May 04, 2016
tongue
flyken:

Says a dumb broad...

So immature .....it's obvious you are not ready for marriage .Try again after 10yrs tongue tongue

Ode
Re: Am I Overreacting? by flyken: 8:00am On May 04, 2016
Sempumping:
tongue

So immature .....it's obvious you are not ready for marriage .Try again after 10yrs tongue tongue

Ode

grin jealous aass
Re: Am I Overreacting? by Danfuster(m): 8:06am On May 04, 2016
thorpido:
Just get over it.

he is not overreacting, he's foreseeing what might/is to come. Don't forget when you marry someone, you marry that person's whole family as well.

In any relationship you are, never ever compromise for all that little signs cos they're the handwritting on the wall.

At OP: It is only mature and diplomatic for you to discuss this with her mom and when I say discuss... I mean "communicating".. Remember, " there are no bad wives, only bad in-laws"

This is really deceptive, I wonder what it'd be like when trying times are here and you report your wife to her mom, she'd probably tell you "I'll get back to you, let me talk to her" and she won't get back to you just like she did here whilst condoning her daughters nonsense instead of scolding her.

Be wise bro... Never ever doubt your instinct.

1 Like

Re: Am I Overreacting? by thorpido(m): 8:17am On May 04, 2016
Danfuster:

he is not overreacting, he's foreseeing what might/is to come. Don't forget when you marry someone, you marry that person's whole family as well.

In any relationship you are, never ever compromise for all that little signs cos they're the handwritting on the wall.

At OP: It is only mature and diplomatic for you to discuss this with her mom and when I say discuss... I mean "communicating".. Remember, " there are no bad wives, only bad in-laws"

This is really deceptive, I wonder what it'd be like when trying times are here and you report your wife to her mom, she'd probably tell you "I'll get back to you, let me talk to her" and she won't get back to you just like she did here whilst condoning her daughters nonsense instead of scolding her.

Be wise bro... Never ever doubt your instinct.
While I agree you need to pay attention to even little things while dating,i still say he is over reacting in this case.
How do you tell a woman you want to marry the daughter and she should keep it from the daughter?It's as good as told.He shouldn't have involved her family at all.
He needs to have a talk with the mother as you said.
Re: Am I Overreacting? by Danfuster(m): 8:26am On May 04, 2016
thorpido:
While I agree you need to pay attention to even little things while dating,i still say he is over reacting in this case.
How do you tell a woman you want to marry the daughter and she should keep it from the daughter?It's a s good as told.He shouldn't have involved her family at all.
He needs to have a talk with the mother as you said.

I agree that Ops decision is to harsh, I wouldn't encourage that but I don't see nothing wrong with what he did, I've seen people execute a proposal just the same way OP planned, involving both families. There are threads with photo evidence on NL.

https://www.nairaland.com/2981169/man-surprises-girlfriend-marriage-proposal

OP shouldn't overreact but see this as an opportunity to knowing her mother-in-law personality, it could have been worse you know.
Re: Am I Overreacting? by 400billionman: 8:30am On May 04, 2016
You still do not know about women.

Telling her mother is the wrongest move. Do you expect her to reason like you ? Whatever came out of it is your fault..
Re: Am I Overreacting? by naijaboiy: 8:35am On May 04, 2016
LOL! The amebo of a woman could not just keep her mouth shut. grin
Re: Am I Overreacting? by frozenSun(m): 8:41am On May 04, 2016
flyken:

That's not cool. The girl's mom really fu'cked up the element of surprise and ruined a perfect moment.

you are not over reacting bro... anybody who takes planning and surprises very seriously would know how it feels.

when u feel u are surprising someone and the person just watches u do all ur wahala cos ur plan has been know all along then it can make u look real foolish.

sorry bro. this ain't cool but just forget it so u don't get too upset and shoot ur mother in law.

come on now bro... breathe in, breathe out and let it go. u will not remember the old woman's mess up forever but u will always remember that you left the one you say you love JUST because of an old woman who couldn't hold her mouth. please don't blame the woman either. some men are worse than that woman.

this might just be the devil's way of trying to stop you from wedding the girl u say u love.

1 Like

Re: Am I Overreacting? by firstking01(m): 8:59am On May 04, 2016
Op, you are so imature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am I Overreacting? by Aquariann: 10:02am On May 04, 2016
frozenSun:

That's not cool. The girl's mom really fu'cked up the element of surprise and ruined a perfect moment.

you are not over reacting bro... anybody who takes planning and surprises very seriously would know how it feels.

when u feel u are surprising someone and the person just watches u do all ur wahala cos ur plan has been know all along then it can make u look real foolish.

sorry bro. this ain't cool but just forget it so u don't get too upset and shoot ur mother in law.

come on now bro... breathe in, breathe out and let it go. u will not remember the old woman's mess up forever but u will always remember that you left the one you say you love JUST because of an old woman who couldn't hold her mouth. please don't blame the woman either. some men are worse than that woman.

this might just be the devil's way of trying to stop you from wedding the girl u say u love.

Cc. Danfuster.

We need more of fellas like you guys on this forum.

I wonder why supposed grown folks can't just do without insulting people online.
Re: Am I Overreacting? by Danfuster(m): 10:16am On May 04, 2016
Aquariann:

Cc. Danfuster.

We need more of fellas like you guys on this forum.

I wonder why supposed grown folks can't just do without insulting people online.

and we need more lads like you who appreciate good moral values.

Don't expect too much from people who lacks a simple modicum of intellect, you'll be disappointed most of the time. Just filter the good stuff and throw the chaff away

1 Like

Re: Am I Overreacting? by flyken: 4:41pm On May 04, 2016
frozenSun:

Thanks man. I don't know you but I'd Bleep with you anytime. If you're in Nigeria or anywhere and wishes to attend my wedding let me know. Location: Texas expenses on you tho lol.

(1) (Reply)

10 Smileys That Show Ur Face Wen Tosting In First Time / Why Do Girls Admire Me So Much? / Guys Will You Do This For Your Girl??...(picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.