Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,943 members, 7,821,301 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) (11252 Views)

SEASON 2 Diary Of My Caucasian (bear) and puppies / If you think your Dog is big check this out / Dog And Puppies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 4:33pm On May 07, 2016
redfigure:

Nice one. I'm following.
I also compliment your composition.
I was about to draw you back, but fortunately I read your last last paragraph.
Most times it's not advisable to teach your own dog attack.
Let's I forget, in case of next time, the people you mentioned above are not dog trainers except for Oluomoadebayo

Thanks very much sir! I agree with you(it's not advisable to teach your dog attack) but there are few professional trainers in Nigeria! But after the part 3 of the attack training, the dog would completely forget that it was allowed to attack you!
Thanks for your contributions!
Are you also a trainer?
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 4:52pm On May 07, 2016
Post deleted

2 Likes

Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by redfigure(m): 5:22pm On May 07, 2016
LeSammy:

Thanks very much sir! I agree with you(it's not advisable to teach your dog attack) but there are few professional trainers in Nigeria! But after the part 3 of the attack training, the dog would completely forget that it was allowed to attack you!
Thanks for your contributions!
Are you also a trainer?

Yea I am. I also have a thread but too too busy carry it along
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by redfigure(m): 5:44pm On May 07, 2016
In addition to N.o 4 (Part 3), point n.o 4
The owner should put the dog on leash (He should have full control of leash), then ask the intruder to agitate the dog by acting like threat. The dog will try to pull towards the agitator (That's if it's a confident dog), the will have to run after the intruder saying the word attack.

Since a bite suit is hard to come by, and not readily available for this training, the intruder should run away and the dog rewarded for going after him.

Tip: A bite sleeve can also be used by an intruder with the dog on leash. (For minded people tongue )
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by nike4love: 10:52pm On May 07, 2016
LordRegalia:

Like I said earlier, the ability of a dog to be a suitable guard / security dog is dependent firstly on the breed of dog and what it was originally bred to do.

The Labrador is a gun-retriever dog. Bred originally to retrieve game during hunting, and used occasionally to track / scent and detect. Even though it may bark, it is not at all suitable as a guard dog because it is very friendly, trusting and accomodating, even of strangers. Most importantly, it is not a territorial breed, so you cannot reasonably expect your labrador's behaviour to change to be like that of your caucasian. Though both are dogs, they were originally bred / developed for two different reasons.

But the parents of the dog have high security instinct and re excellent guard dogs....
Anyway thanks for the info....
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by oluomoadebayo: 4:11pm On May 09, 2016
LeSammy:
TRAINING NO.4 (PART 3)

TRAINING YOUR DOG TO ATTACK INTRUDERS ON COMMAND!!!

This part is actually the easiest part!

1. Repeat steps in the previous part five to seven more times. This is to ensure that your dog has really mastered the command.

2.   Now, it’s time to show the dog how to attack an intruder (or else, every time you say “attack”, it will go after your arm). Get a very big doll or make a caricature human and place it at a distance. Then point towards the “fake” intruder and shout “attack”. Although your dog may attempt coming towards you at first, it will go in the pointed direction once it sees your finger(wear protective clothing on your arm just in case! ).

3.  Reward your dog with treats or in some other way(this is important, to show the dog that you're pleased!).

Repeat step 2 placing your fake intruder at various points and pointing at it each time you command your dog. Repeat this until you are convinced that your dog has mastered the command and would no longer come after your arm.

4. Get someone to act like an intruder (use someone whose face is not familiar to the dog). Tell the person to stand by the door entrance and get ready to shut the door in case the dog ignores the “stop” command.

5.   Point towards the “intruder” and command your dog to attack. If it runs towards the intruder, then it has gotten your message.

6.    Repeat step 5, but while the dog is going for the intruder, shout the word “stop” to see if it will obey. If you’ve familiarized it with the “stop” command, it should stop immediately. This step is very necessary because it teaches your dog that sometimes you may want to stop if from attacking an intruder after initially giving the command.

As a final note, I believe that with these steps, you would successfully transform your dog from a mere pet into a selfless guard dog that attacks only when you want it to.

The "stop" command is similar and almost the same as the "leave it" command! So, you can improvise and tell your dog to "leave" the intruder! Because it may continually attack which may lead of fatal injuries!

as redfigure rightly added, it's not advisable to train the dog to attack on your own! You may seek the help of a friend (if available, but the dog should be a little familiar with the person!) but if not, you can do it yourself
lol.
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by kenzspunpy(m): 5:07pm On May 09, 2016
oluomoadebayo:

lol.

i have been waiting for your contribution, what's the laughter about? Do you have anything to say? Please share your thoughts for the benefits of all.
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by oluomoadebayo: 8:20pm On May 09, 2016
kenzspunpy:

i have been waiting for your contribution, what's the laughter about? Do you have anything to say? Please share your thoughts for the benefits of all.

Attack training is not done on a community board, don't even try it because you are setting the dog on a wrong path.

It's a process from preparing the dog to fixing bite, so please stick to obedience, that's all that matters.
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by ONWARDBABA: 9:33pm On May 09, 2016
tru talk
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LordRegalia: 11:10pm On May 09, 2016
oluomoadebayo:

Attack training is not done on a community board, don't even try it because you are setting the dog on a wrong path.

It's a process from preparing the dog to fixing bite, so please stick to obedience,that all that matters.

I felt the same way, but then again I felt it was not my place to ruin it for the OP.
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 12:47am On May 10, 2016
oluomoadebayo:

It's a process from preparing the dog to fixing bite, so please stick to obedience,that all that matters.
LordRegalia:

I felt the same way, but then again I felt it was not my place to ruin it for the OP.

I appreciate your suggestion sirs! I'm strongly against training dogs for attack but I think it depends on the owners, not all owners want pet dogs, some get them "only" because of security!
Most dog lovers(like me) prefer dogs as pets but the high crime rate has pushed people who don't care about dogs to get them for just security purposes
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 1:01am On May 10, 2016
In my bid to reply some requests, I forgot to complete the basic trainings before I delved into the more complicated ones! I beg your pardon! And I thank oluomoadebayo LordRegalia and redfigure for their kind suggestions, and I learnt from them too!
learning is a continous process and I don't think I know all, so , keep contributing and enlightening I and the general public!

TRAINING NO.5

Stay

you must have previously taught the dog how to sit or lay

1) Ask him to sit or lay down.
2) Take one step away from him as you command him to "stay". Silently count to three.
3) Step back to him, treat and praise.
4) If he gets up, ask him to sit again and repeat the procedure.
Once he is doing this short 'stay' command correctly, gradually increase the distance between you and your dog and/or the time that he is asked to stay. If he gets up when he is not supposed to, go back a stage to a shorter distance or time, and then increase again slowly until he is doing as he is told every time.

It's very simple but yields amazing results, it has never failed me yet!
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LordRegalia: 3:21am On May 10, 2016
LeSammy:

I appreciate your suggestion sirs! I'm strong against training dogs for attack but I think it depends on the owners, not all owners want pet dogs, some get them "only" because of security!
Most dog lovers(like me) prefer dogs as pets but the high crime rate has pushed people who don't care about dogs to get them for just security purposes

Granted, you may be strong in training dogs for attack, but still a lot of caution should be exercised in sharing that knowledge.

Here's the thing, most people who want really aggressive / attack dogs really do not know what they are asking for. If they did they would not ask for nor want them.

I know a thing or two about training dogs for attack and the like and I get asked a lot (even on this forum) to teach / show how to do this. But as someone who has seen, owned, trained and even been attacked by (uncontrollably) aggressive dogs, I know the dangers inherent in acquiring one. And with this knowledge at the back of my mind, I simply refuse to oblige such requests. Truthfully, the average Nigerian does not need such a dangerous tool / knowledge at his disposal because the average Nigerian does not know how to handle it, albeit responsibly.

First off, people in this country need to focus more on being able to "control" their dogs. This is where obedience training comes in. It is where they need to build on and they need to develop a culture for doing this. Sadly, the concept of obedience training is still very novel here and many do not even know what it is, let alone how to go about it. Already we have millions of people with very badly raised dogs and who have no other control over them other than to keep them locked up. These dogs were never put through any form of obedience training and as such the owners have no verbal (or even physical) control over them. Inasmuch as the said dogs serve security purposes, they are equally great liabilities as they cannot discriminate between friend or foe. So when you publish on a public platform such as this tips on how to train dogs for attack and bite work, and to a people who already score low on responsible dog ownership, you only worsen a very bad and dangerous situation.

I would advise, like oluomoadebayo said that you stick to obedience training. Let the average Nigerian be well grounded in obedience training their dogs first before they start experimenting with attack training.

NB: Attack training is a lot more complex and not as simple as you make it seem. It actually involves a lot of conditioning work on the dog to be trained in it, which in turn must be naturally predisposed to it by temperament, etc.

4 Likes

Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 9:02am On May 10, 2016
LordRegalia:

NB: Attack training is a lot more complex and not as simple as you make it seem. It actually involves a lot of conditioning work on the dog to be trained in it, which in turn must be naturally predisposed to it by temperament, etc.

Try those attack steps on a rottweiler and pittbulls, it would work wonders!
no one in their right minds would teach lhasa's how to attack! They'll teach dogs which are natural at attack if they have any knowledge about dogs!

P.S: That attack method is the one used by the bulk of security companies in Nigeria and most parts of the world
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 9:09am On May 10, 2016
LordRegalia:

Granted, you may be strong in training dogs for attack, but still a lot of caution should be exercised in sharing that knowledge.

like oluomoadebayo said that you stick to obedience training. Let the average Nigerian be well grounded in obedience training their dogs first before they start experimenting with attack training.

I agree with that sir! Most Nigerians would misuse the knowledge and later regret it!
I'll stick to the conventional obedience training! Thanks!
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LordRegalia: 9:20am On May 10, 2016
LeSammy:

Try those attack steps on a rottweiler and pittbulls, it would work wonders!
no one in their right minds would teach lhasa's how to attack! They'll teach dogs which are natural at attack if they have any knowledge about dogs!

P.S: That attack method is the one used by the bulk of security companies in Nigeria and most parts of the world

"No one in their right minds" you say? But there are so many out there who do not even know what breed of dog they own or what it was bred for. Such would attempt to teach any dog anything at their fingertips. Ignorant, but still in their right mind.

What I do know about attack / protection training is that even among breeds that are naturally predisposed to attack, the candidates are selectively handpicked as pups based on their temperaments and predominant drives and then nurtured to perfection.

Kindly do not encourage (or even hint at) training (especially) pitbulls for attack. Or any breed for that matter. Most are dangerous enough as it is and many are in the hands of the wrong people. It is prudent to leave those for the professionals.

1 Like

Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 11:42am On May 10, 2016
LordRegalia:

"No one in their right minds" you say? But there are so many out there who do not even know what breed of dog they own or what it was bred for. Such would attempt to teach any dog anything at their fingertips. Ignorant, but still in their right mind.

What I do know about attack / protection training is that even among breeds that are naturally predisposed to attack, the candidates are selectively handpicked as pups based on their temperaments and predominant drives and then nurtured to perfection.

Kindly do not encourage (or even hint at) training (especially) pitbulls for attack. Or any breed for that matter. Most are dangerous enough as it is and many are in the hands of the wrong people. It is prudent to leave those for the professionals.

Thanks for your contributions sir! I really appreciate it smiley
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 12:33pm On May 10, 2016
I was strolling last week and I saw this big CO dragging its owner around, the poor man almost fell down! As I walked quietly behind them, I realised that the owner was in a great deal of misery! I stopped him and talked to him about the heel training, he seemed marvelled, he told me that he was considering buying a choke chain but he seemed willing to try the method out, coincidentally, I saw this same man walking with his dog yesterday evening and the dog was by his side! Though the man kept feeding it gala(sausage roll) repeatedly...lol!
but the dog remained by his side and didn't drag its owner all over the street!

The heel training helps to keep the dog by your side, it's no fun for you to be hurled around like a doll while walking your dog!
Though it may consume a large amount of treat!
Some people use gala for treats and some use chucks of beef and chicken! Whatever your dog likes or whatever suits you!
Or you can use clickers for your dog! I'll talk more about that too

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by swankylay(m): 7:18pm On Jun 01, 2016
Pls can I get the training methods... Thanks.

LeSammy:

As LordRegalia rightly said, the dog is far too young to be territorial!

I'm drafting a training method on how to teach dogs to attack on command!
I'll be done in 2-3hours sir!
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 7:30pm On Jun 03, 2016
swankylay:
Pls can I get the training methods... Thanks.

Check training no.4 which is subdivided into part 1,2,3

1 Like

Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by EddyNumerouno(m): 9:40pm On Jun 03, 2016
This thread is a cool breeze, away from the regular puppy sale threads littered all over the pets section.

I'm getting a neopolitian mastiff next month, but I've read they are more of alert dogs with a heavy bark than attack dogs. Can I do anything about that? I want a neo that can attack (with proper training)
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by pacino26(m): 11:27pm On Jun 08, 2016
Observing the main men here, Op, LordRegalia and co.

I think this is cool. Scar is 7-8month old. Thru this forum I was able to change her meal and her appetite is superb now.

I think it's time for the obedience training. She's playful and am not bothered bout it. I was giving a thought to taking her to the police K9 section for training; attack on command grin

I will implement the few steps here. But then again I need a guard and attack dog not for oppression but for security purposes.
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by enilowo(m): 5:09pm On Jun 09, 2016
Guys please i need your help here. I just got a pitbull 2months old. I have raised a Gsd successfully so i am not new to cannies. My issue with this pitbull is that its over hyper such that it wont eat and unfortunately while its playing around the Gsd will eat its food. I attempted locking it up but i dont want to breed a crazy dog. Please advise

Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by EddyNumerouno(m): 11:48pm On Jun 09, 2016
enilowo:
Guys please i need your help here. I just got a pitbull 2months old. I have raised a Gsd successfully so i am not new to cannies. My issue with this pitbull is that its over hyper such that it wont eat and unfortunately while its playing around the Gsd will eat its food. I attempted locking it up but i dont want to breed a crazy dog. Please advise

Why do people expect so much from puppies, they are still babies. All they want to do is play, sleep, discover their environment, eat and sleep some more, then repeat the whole cycle.

Don't just place a big meal in front of a puppy and expect it to wolf it down, instead, place it on a feeding schedule. One small meal at regular intervals especially after its played about and tired.

BTW, an adult GSD is unfair competition for a 2 MONTH old puppy
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by enilowo(m): 8:05pm On Jun 12, 2016
Thanks for your response. Don't blame me i am appraising the puppy based on my exp with the Gsd. When the gsd was at that age it was eating like a glutton which shows on it now as its very big now an its highly admired in my area whenever we are out for a walk, see the pic at 8mnths old. However, i will stik to your advise and hope for the best.[color=#000099][/color]

Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 9:01pm On Dec 24, 2016
I completely forgot about this thread, I'll send pictures and experiences with a puppy and let you experience the training from a practical POV
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 9:09pm On Dec 24, 2016
The SIT was the first command I taught the new pup! She is an high energy, bite and bark happy, and an hooligan of no comparison!!

It was unexpected from a boerboel as I've had years of experience with German shepherds and it wasn't this troublesome and most of the boerbabies I dealt with were very calm and a joy to behold!
I would have considered selling her immediately but she had a nice pedigree and the breeder was very kind and not too pricy(even with the fact that we got documents and all).... she would run around plot of land wildly and would never stop and completely ignores us

The experience was near frustrating but I endured!
She was strictly on raw chicken and she loved it, so I took the golden opportunity to teach her the SIT
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by LeSammy: 9:16pm On Dec 24, 2016
We had a little bag of dry dog food and she enjoyed it because it tasted differently from the chicken

I took a bit from my hand and I held it to her face, she lunged at it wildly!! I raised it above her head slowly.... rather than going slowly into the sir position, she jumped and left a scar of my fingers with her teeth (the scar is still on my hand till date)..

I took the kibble away and left the room and I returned again and I made sure to leave if she jumped!!

She got the gist real quick and I rewarded her.. next thing I did was to gently press her back down to the sit position and I said SIT and have her a kibble! I repeated the manoeuvre 9times and by the tenth time, once I said SIT before I could touch her back, she went down to the sit position reluctantly and she was rewarded heavily and she did well throughout that day but when I tried it the next day.........
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by tblackE61(m): 12:12am On Jan 11, 2017
Hey friends I just got this 5mnth doberman and I would love to train him to be a very good dog. My problem is the dog us just too friendly , he plays with everybody and follow anybody! Play friends what can I do to make him harsh a little bit. At least he shuld be teritorial

Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by chrisblack1234: 1:11pm On Jan 11, 2017
Broda u are good , but my mix rot barks occasion ally even wen strangers enter, but barks mostly wen goats enter the compound...y?
Re: Training Your Dog Made Easy (adults And Puppies) by Goldcheddar: 4:40pm On Jul 01, 2018
I have a 10 months old Caucasian ovcharka that doesn't let me touch him when he's sitting or laying down in a spot. When he's sitting or laying in a spot and I try approaching him, he begins to lick lips, the whitish part of his eyes shows and ears down with an intimidating facial expression. He does that all the time when I just pass by his side. Also, when I get back from work and he sees me, he gets exited, tails wagging but as i come closer to him he starts to retreat and changes his mood and doesn't want me to touch him. Also, he's a very large dog and pulls on leash when we're returning from a walk, he always embarrasses the walker when he starts pulling because he's big and difficult to control when he starts pulling. Also I'd need some series of obedience trainings I can give my new pup and probably the big one as well

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet Stella Stroud, My Latest Pet. / 4 Reasons Why Dogs Make Good Pets / Loving My N3k Dog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.