Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo (2366 Views)

Asari Dokubo: "Buhari Was Cloned In London, Current Nigerian President Is Fake" / Biafra: Asari Dokubo Mocks Charly Boy, Calls Him "Mumu" After He Was Tear-Gassed / Asari Dokubo Blasts Don Jazzy & Davido Over Diezani Alison-Madueke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by georjay(m): 6:30am On May 05, 2016
Leader of the Niger Delta People’s Volunteer Front, NDPVF, Alhaji Mujahid Asari Dokubo has said that contrary to the perception in most quarters that the name Biafra which was adopted by the then breakaway Eastern region is Igbo, the phrase is Ijaw. Asari-Dokubo He also noted it was an Ijaw man, who suggested the name at a meeting convened by the late leader of the defunct Republic of Biafra, Chief Chukwuemeka Ojukwu to decide on the way forward for the Eastern region after the 1966/1967 pogrom. Dokubo, who said this in a statement stated that the late Niger Delta activist, Maj. Isaac Adaka Boro affirmed that Ijaw is Biafra in chapter six of his autobiography entitled: Twelve Day Revolution. He further said that the ties between Igbo and Ijaw ethnic groups are inseparable, adding that It was another Ijaw Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson, who first played the Biafran national anthem during the proclamation of independence on May 30, 1967. His words: “Ignorance can be a terrible disease but it is curable if the sufferer is ready to humble himself to learn and accept the cure for his sickness. Biafra is a Kalabari Ijaw phrase Bia fulo meaning not properly cooked. The Kalabari of Kula named the estuary of Santa Barbara Bia fulo because of the turbulence of the sea at the estuary. The Portuguese like they did to many other names, words and phrases which they could not pronounce properly named the area Biafra. Later the coastline from the estuary of River Nun to the coast of Gabon was named the Bight of Biafra. “The doyen of our struggle Isaac Adaka Boro clearly affirmed that Ijaw is BIiafra in chapter six, page 57 of his autobiography ‘Twelve Day Revolution’. Col. Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, before the declaration of secession, convoked an Eastern Nigerian consultative Assembly to decide on the direction and way forward for the Eastern Region after the 1966/1967 pogrom against Easterners in the north. The assembly debated on many names put forward by delegates and chose Biafra which was put forward by Frank Opigo an Ijaw.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/biafra-is-ijaw-not-igbo-asari-dokubo/

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by georjay(m): 6:32am On May 05, 2016
lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by hemartins(m): 6:34am On May 05, 2016
If this is true, then it's an amazing revelation.

Happy Birthday to me.
Wish me well.

5 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by 1shortblackboy: 6:36am On May 05, 2016
So?! undecided
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by mrvitalis(m): 6:37am On May 05, 2016
We all know that.... If really igbos wants the ijaws support.... Shift the baifran capital to
Port Harcourt. ..then watch what will happen

Still prefer a regional one Nigeria tho.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by 201320142015ob(m): 6:39am On May 05, 2016
Asari the coward.. He never fullfil any of his threats

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by kelsidengkucio(m): 6:40am On May 05, 2016
But they had gone to join force with Nigeria army than librate themself from the pit they found themself today. Shm

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by MabraO: 6:46am On May 05, 2016
Wots with all these recycled news lately?
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by Taeewo(m): 6:55am On May 05, 2016
Una dey confused
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by ibedun: 7:00am On May 05, 2016
So Biafra means not properly cooked

Of course, having laid 3million hapless lives to waste.
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by erusen: 7:05am On May 05, 2016
abeg who get bb charger
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by firstolalekan(m): 7:07am On May 05, 2016
Weyrey

Stupîd noise maker

Make ujukwu's manhood that still lives on (in pej's voice) catch you.
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by mikki123(m): 7:19am On May 05, 2016
Alhaji Asari Dokubo..... Mumu of the century
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by cheruv: 7:29am On May 05, 2016
mrvitalis:
We all know that.... If really igbos wants the ijaws support.... Shift the baifran capital to
Port Harcourt. ..then watch what will happen

Still prefer a regional one Nigeria tho.
Supported by me cool
The capital has to shift from Enugwu to PH bkos PH is on the border btwn Igbo and Ijo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by iSlayer: 7:33am On May 05, 2016
Pandering to the usually lazy Ijaw?! Well,who cares.
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by gidgiddy: 7:41am On May 05, 2016
It is true. Frank Opigo, an Ijaw man, who I gather used to be Head Master of Okrika Grammar School was the one who suggested the name Biafra at the Enugu conference in 1967.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by mike404(m): 7:42am On May 05, 2016
SOUTH-WESTERNERS WONT LIKE THIS NEWS sad

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by Candyrain(m): 8:45am On May 05, 2016
But I thought they said Ojukwu never had a meeting with every leader of the defunct Eastern region, I thought they said he just woke up one morning and declared Biafra Republic.

Na wa ooo, what people can do just to spread falsehood.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by macluvph1(m): 8:56am On May 05, 2016
cheruv:

Supported by me cool
The capital has to shift from Enugwu to PH bkos PH is on the border btwn Igbo and Ijo.

PH will be the centre of excellence just like lagos of Nigeria while capital should be shifted between Umudike of Abia State to Ikot Ekpene/uyo axis of akwa ibom state because of its distance to the Nigeria/biafra boarder.

But this shouldn't be our bone of contention now because when we get what we want stakeholders meeting will be called for us to decide the new capital.

Ikwerre meka ooooo.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by ChinenyeN(m): 9:06am On May 05, 2016
macluvph1:
PH will be the centre of excellence just like lagos of Nigeria while capital should be shifted between Umudike of Abia State to Ikot Ekpene/uyo axis of akwa ibom state because of its distance to the Nigeria/biafra boarder.

This has to be one of the most reasonable things I've heard. I like the thought process.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by gidgiddy: 10:16am On May 05, 2016
Candyrain:
But I thought they said Ojukwu never had a meeting with every leader of the defunct Eastern region, I thought they said he just woke up one morning and declared Biafra Republic.

Na wa ooo, what people can do just to spread falsehood.

Ojukwu had a meeting with all the Chiefs and representatives of all the 20 provinces that made up the old Eastern region on the 28th of May 1967. The next day on 29th, after due deliberations and consultations,they rose up and mandated Ojukwu to declare the Eastern region an independent nation. Ojukwu, declared Biafra the very next day. That the part of history that the Lagos-Ibadan-expressway media won't tell you

5 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by cheruv: 11:15am On May 05, 2016
macluvph1:

But this shouldn't be our bone of contention now because when we get what we want stakeholders meeting will be called for us to decide the new capital.

Ikwerre meka ooooo.
No matter what...PH is the only city that fits into the requirements of a Biafran capital. For example
1] its a city lying on the border btwn Igbo and Ijo land...making it that no ethnicity "owns" it.
2] Igbo and Ijo are defacto official lingos there presently.. all we need is to add Mmoŋo to the mix
3] based on the first premise, no ethnicity would claim to be marginalized bkos no ethnicity truly owns it, unlike in the old Eastern region where the non Igbo Easterners felt they were forced to learn Igbo just bkos the capital was in Igboland
4] sited on the bonny river,the position offers potentials for growth.with accumulation of heavy industry coupled with the technological wizardry of the Igbos...I don't see why the city shouldn't b shockedshocked m
5] the city was built by MI Okpara...and it was built to be the Lagos of the East. That's why very bloody battles were fought during the war of independence by Biafrans in defense of PH from late '67 till it fell to the Vandals definitely on may 18,1968 undecided

The only thing is that the name has to be changed from PH to something else cool

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by Candyrain(m): 12:39pm On May 05, 2016
gidgiddy:

Ojukwu had a meeting with all the Chiefs and representatives of all the 20 provinces that made up the old Eastern region on the 28th of May 1967. The next day on 29th, after due deliberations and consultations,they rose up and mandated Ojukwu to declare the Eastern region an independent nation. Ojukwu, declared Biafra the very next day. That the part of history that the Lagos-Ibadan-expressway media won't tell you

The fact dat the various entities dat constitute the then Eastern region believed the lies made it quite unfortunate.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by Gozzzy(m): 12:40pm On May 05, 2016
cheruv:

Supported by me cool
ph is a coastal city, and it won't make proper sense, sitting the capital of a nation in a coastal city. It can fall easily in the face of external aggression.
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by macluvph1(m): 12:45pm On May 05, 2016
cheruv:

No matter what...PH is the only city that fits into the requirements of a Biafran capital. For example
1] its a city lying on the border btwn Igbo and Ijo land...making it that no ethnicity "owns" it.
2] Igbo and Ijo are defacto official lingos there presently.. all we need is to add Mmoŋo to the mix
3] based on the first premise, no ethnicity would claim to be marginalized bkos no ethnicity truly owns it, unlike in the old Eastern region where the non Igbo Easterners felt they were forced to learn Igbo just bkos the capital was in Igboland
4] sited on the bonny river,the position offers potentials for growth.with accumulation of heavy industry coupled with the technological wizardry of the Igbos...I don't see why the city shouldn't b shockedshocked m
5] the city was built by MI Okpara...and it was built to be the Lagos of the East. That's why very bloody battles were fought during the war of independence by Biafrans in defense of PH from late '67 till it fell to the Vandals definitely on may 18,1968 undecided

The only thing is that the name has to be changed from PH to something else cool

@cheruv, like i said it shouldn't be our headache now because stake holders meeting will be conducted to determine the new capital and reason why, but as an ikwerre man why i dont want the capital in PH(USA methodology:Texas(for oil companies) and Washingnton(as capital)) is this:

1)All the oil companies head offices in lagos willl relocate to PH
2)Onne/Abonema Sea port will be functional because these oil companies will make use of these seaports to import
3)Our land in PH has automatically been used for either oil serv company yards or other oil producing operation ground.
4)it will cost a lot to design the present PH as capital of Biafra because a lo of funds will go in as compensation to people that already have structures on ground.
5)The area square metre of Rivers can't really contain the development that will come up.

Then my suggestions are these

1)Umuahia/Umudike/Ikot ekpene/Uyo axis should be considered as head quarters because of the landscape,availability of virgin lands and security consciousness of other biafra cities surrounding the suggested capital.
2)The capital extending from the outskirt of Abia to Akwa ibom central indicates that the Ibibio ,oron,efik are seriously carried along and its not about igbo thing.
3)Then out of the nine or ten producing oil companies head offices should be located between Bayelsa(2),Rivers(3),cross river(1),Delta(2),Imo(1),Abia(owazza/obigbo/ugwunagbo)(1), Anambra (1). NOTE: AKWA IBOM is excluded because majority of the federal parastatals will be located there.
4)All the foreign embassies should be splitted among every provinces to attract even/equal development.
5)Then at last what Nnamdi kanu preached should be adopted which is that oil producing states should OWN THERE OIL so that we dont have parasitic consumers,which will make no province to rely on the other making each one of them hard working.

I stand to be corrected anytime, because this is my candid suggestion. but i think our stake holders are the best to do the needful because they know best and have reason for there suggestions. the same way they came together and brought up the name "BIAFRA" should be applied.

4 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by gidgiddy: 1:21pm On May 05, 2016
Candyrain:

The fact dat the various entities dat constitute the then Eastern region believed the lies made it quite unfortunate.

What lies? They mandated Ojukwu to declare Biafra because Gowon broke the terms of the Aburi agreement
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by cheruv: 3:09pm On May 05, 2016
Gozzzy:

ph is a coastal city, and it won't make proper sense, sitting the capital of a nation in a coastal city. It can fall easily in the face of external aggression.
That's even the more reason to do that... At least it'd necessitate the building of a powerful navy. for me,it should be about building a strong economy that's backed up by a powerful military machine.
The two go hand in hand...having one without the other is like a bird flying on one wing undecided

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 05, 2016
Even though this news is old,i just believe having two or 3 separate countries from the old biafra with very close ties is the best option to avoid the same problems we face in todays nigeria.And pls neva include delta or edo in any thing biafra, they were neva part of d then eastern region.
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by 1Tkester: 3:44pm On May 05, 2016
cheruv:

Supported by me cool

I'm Igbo but I don't mind if the capital is PH or wherever. What is of most concern to me is to get the hell outta this useless contraption. Well, some of this arrangement is what we will talk about when the struggle becomes real. Just so you know, if the UN decides to give us a referendum, then questions will be asked on how the yet to be born country will be implemented and governed. It is then we can amicably solve the issue of capital city and other things. And I even think PH wil make a good capital than Enugu.
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by 1Tkester: 3:47pm On May 05, 2016
mike404:
SOUTH-WASTERNERS WONT LIKE THIS NEWS sad
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by macluvph1(m): 3:47pm On May 05, 2016
tooco:
Even though this news is old,i just believe having two or 3 separate countries from the old biafra with very close ties is the best option to avoid the same problems we face in todays nigeria.And pls neva include delta or edo in any thing biafra, they were neva part of d then eastern region.

@tooco, that's your opinion why not allow referendum to speak or address this your opinion/write up.

Atleast the shocking result you will get from Delta will keep you paralysed for the rest of your life.
Re: Biafra Is Ijaw, Not Igbo - Asari Dokubo by Candyrain(m): 4:46pm On May 05, 2016
gidgiddy:

What lies? They mandated Ojukwu to declare Biafra because Gowon broke the terms of the Aburi agreement

The lies dat Ojukwu declared Biafra without consulting others

(1) (2) (Reply)

North Panics Over Buhari’s Health / Mention Three Buhari’s Projects, Collect N500,000 – PDP Tells Nigerians, APC / See This Obvious Mistake Made On Presidency Twitter Handle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.