Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,270 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? (11442 Views)

11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business / Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? / Would You Quit Your Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by AgricNation: 3:59pm On May 05, 2016
In Nigeria currently, our economy isn’t in the best state and companies are taking pay cuts and even laying staff off just so they can reduce their costs and increase profit.

In the past, Nigerians have been very dependent on oil as the main source of money and trade. However, recently the prices of oil have been on a steady fall, while the dollar keeps rising, making it increasingly difficult.

Agriculture poses a fresh and new means of generating economy in our country, as that sector is still underdeveloped. However, other African countries such as Kenya or Uganda are making strides in developing their agriculture and making it a main source of income.

In Nairobi, a woman quit her job as a purchasing assistant to become a farmer, is now making millions from watermelon farming in her country. Read the full story on our website http://agricnation.com/i-quit-job-farm-watermelons-now-im-making-millions-annie-nyaga/

Would you quit your current job as a banker, lawyer, secretary, laborer, or engineer, to become a farmer if the pay was higher? What type of farming or agriculture would you go into? How do we encourage more people to go into farming as a business?

We would like to hear your opinion!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by kobonaire(m): 6:20am On May 06, 2016
E no easy oh .... to leave the sweet A/C of office, the pretty girls around, easy access to internet/NL, TV etc ... forgo all of that and go and farm/sweat in hot sun. It would have to be a heck lot more money than the office job.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by adeniyibolanle(m): 6:20am On May 06, 2016
Yes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 6:21am On May 06, 2016
Jesus Christ! But Yes!!!! Why not? I've always fancied poultry farming. But the financial gain difference btw the Farming job and the white collar job has to be noticeable oh. Can't afford to be smelling fowl fowl for no reason.

9 Likes

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by feran15(m): 6:21am On May 06, 2016
In a heart beat! always wanted to go into agric..

If the opportunity presents it's self, immediately i graduate, i will go straight into it

8 Likes

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Erickthewreck: 6:21am On May 06, 2016
Yes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Qmerit(m): 6:22am On May 06, 2016
I won't!
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by psyqs(m): 6:22am On May 06, 2016
cool of course

1 Like

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by chinawapzy(m): 6:22am On May 06, 2016
Y not

2 Likes

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Lovexme(m): 6:22am On May 06, 2016
Maybe
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by SmartMugu: 6:22am On May 06, 2016
I don't have a problem with owning and managing my farm, but definitely not to work for someone as a farmer on their farms.

Farming is a great business, especially with mechanized equipment. Some farmers have deals with large firms that require raw materials like rubber, cocoa etc and end up with good ROI.

You can be a farmer and never have to touch hoes and cutlasses nor look dirty after work if that's what people don't like. Besides, lifestock is still considered farming, isn't it? I think breeding animals should be fun.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by edlion57(m): 6:23am On May 06, 2016
Farmers get money pass dat monthly salary u are receiving. ...just that der is no capital to start wit

1 Like

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by hustla(m): 6:23am On May 06, 2016
Ogbeni I no go think am twice
Meanwhile ignore those above me, I am ftc grin

Edited

Chei see space bookers above me

1 Like

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by djmummy: 6:23am On May 06, 2016
In the twinkle of an eye. Yes
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Flexherbal(m): 6:23am On May 06, 2016
If it is for the money, yes. But if you love your other job, no. It's all about satisfaction.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by ayrulez(m): 6:24am On May 06, 2016
One will look at the stress involved in this kind of farming. If it worth the money that will be realised from it at the end of the day...cus farming requires strength and it is also highly risky as the turnout might be poor if there is crisis...

2 Likes

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by mrvitalis(m): 6:24am On May 06, 2016
The way Nigerians view agriculture as if it must be done by you,
Agriculture is just a business investment and should be seen as such
Dangote is the biggest farmer in Nigeria but I don't think he has any idea how rice or tomatoes is farmed, same with abusalam, OBJ and the rest

If u have the cash, there are expect u can employ that will manage ur farm then u supervise from afar

Your concern should be.. . If I invest 2million how much am I getting out, the farm manager should run the farm, if u feel u are been cheated u audit ur business

This 3 acre farms is not what Nigeria needs

As far as am concerned 25 farmers can feed Nigeria

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Kraspo(m): 6:24am On May 06, 2016
kobonaire:
E no easy oh .... to leave the sweet A/C of office, the pretty girls around, easy access to internet/NL, TV etc ... forgo all of that and go and farm/sweat in hot sun. It would have to be a heck lot more money than the office job.

You must learn to focus on the MONEY, not chicks or AC or internet. Chiqks doesn't make you rich, neither does AC. I know a friend who ventured into fish farming after graduation in 2012, as we speak now, he has over 12 workers. He sells fingerlings, Fresh and smoked catfish. He recently bought his second car worth 4million naira. Even Davido said it "Life is all about the MONEY" Just be focused and "blow" and all the "shuma" will come to your farm. Believe me!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by yomalex(m): 6:24am On May 06, 2016
Money
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by joshbouy(m): 6:25am On May 06, 2016
sure I would
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Sweetcollins: 6:25am On May 06, 2016
Y not...as e dey hot
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by wayne4loan: 6:25am On May 06, 2016
Farming business is not for the young , it suits the old more . Maybe in the next 10 years I might be a farmer, defiantly not now
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by ladyF(f): 6:26am On May 06, 2016
Why not? At the end of the month, na your account balance go talk.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by CosmeticChemist(m): 6:26am On May 06, 2016
I will quit if it is mechanized. You dont expect me to harvest maize, wheat etc without a combined harvester.

1 Like

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Toeyoursea(m): 6:26am On May 06, 2016
.With the right training, incentives and enabling environment, YES!!
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by HomeOfMe(f): 6:27am On May 06, 2016
Absolutely not!
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Pavore9: 6:27am On May 06, 2016
My life rotates around agriculture and it is fulfilling! cool Agriculture has evolved beyond what we grow up knowing as innovative knowledge has made it a possibility that one can produce 1000kg of organic strawberries within a plot of land on a monthly basis, ANYWHERE IN NIGERIA!

Innovative Knowledge is the game changer!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by wilcox(m): 6:28am On May 06, 2016
With joy, I will gladly do it

1 Like

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Samexdx(m): 6:29am On May 06, 2016
Yea
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by VocalWalls: 6:30am On May 06, 2016
angry
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by lielbreema: 6:30am On May 06, 2016
Yes!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Joining The US Army / Sharia Court Orders Tailor To Pay For Missing Clothes Or Go To Jail(photos) / NECA Insists Banks Will Retrench Where Necessary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.