Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,889 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? (11453 Views)

11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business / Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? / Would You Quit Your Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by NevetsIbot(m): 7:59am On May 06, 2016
infact. Immediately I'm through with law school, I'm jumping into farming.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by berylslayer: 8:02am On May 06, 2016
yes I will cos agriculture is very lucrative because people need to eat everyday o survive.

1 Like

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by arocute: 8:03am On May 06, 2016
Well I am proud to be a farmer. How did it start, when I was getting married during my introduction my wife's uncle give us 50k we thanked him as he was the highest giver, then I asked what he was into "a farmer". Got back to Lagos and resumed work. After a year we got a call from the U S it was uncles Daughter calling to say Hi she was in school, ok. Two year later his son was in Canada also in school, immediately my wife and I started thinking, someone we say is in the village sending his kids abroad, I then ask what type of farming? Piggy and plam kennel, wow. My brother and sister that was how I left my job for farming. It was rough the first year but we fine now having 50 acres coping pepper, plantain, watermelon and pineapple. Also now have a farm consulting firm helping people set and run their farm, providing labour and training for the farm owning.
If you put your mind to it weather the first year trust me you will be home dry

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Nobody: 8:05am On May 06, 2016
LMAO....I AM CONSIDERING THIS.....THOUGH MY CURRENT JOB IS PAYING EXTREMELY WELL BUT IF I WANT TO LIVE LIKE A KING ON EARTH ( TOP 2%) THEN I HAVE TO BE AN EMPLOYER OF PEOPLE.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by mecuzee(m): 8:08am On May 06, 2016
Pavore9:
My life rotates around agriculture and it is fulfilling! cool Agriculture has evolved beyond what we grow up knowing as innovative knowledge has made it a possibility that one can produce 1000kg of organic strawberries within a plot of land on a monthly basis, ANYWHERE IN NIGERIA!

Innovative Knowledge is the game changer!

Did you just say anywhere in Nigeria? Now am interested. Pls tell me more!
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by styles2009: 8:16am On May 06, 2016
wayne4loan:
Farming business is not for the young , it suits the old more . Maybe in the next years I might be a farmer, defiantly not now
See comment undecided

4 Likes

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by fm7070: 8:23am On May 06, 2016
I have unquenchable flair for agriculture. I have the interest 1000%, I love village life
If I can lay my hands on certain amount of money right now, I will leave Lagos immediately and face agriculture squarely
I don't want to be a wretched farmer. so, i need considerably good platform to start.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by hohafrank(m): 8:39am On May 06, 2016
kobonaire:
E no easy oh .... to leave the sweet A/C of office, the pretty girls around, easy access to internet/NL, TV etc ... forgo all of that and go and farm/sweat in hot sun. It would have to be a heck lot more money than the office job.
think wisely. You may be a fresh graduate hence this your line of thought Who said you can't enjoy all these in your well established farm.Rome was not built in a day.You will even enjoy more of these things.You have you own office well furnished much more than your little shared office.Wise up.The earlier the better.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by keoplus(m): 8:45am On May 06, 2016
You wont smell fowl fowl because you own a poultry if you maintain proper hygiene in your farm. Poultry business is profitable but its not a get rich scheme, you will have to grow the business over time. I run a poultry though with few layer birds and i must say its a business one can do that will bring in extra change.

PiccoloBrunelli:
Jesus Christ! But Yes!!!! Why not? I've always fancied poultry farming. But the financial gain difference btw the Farming job and the white collar job has to be noticeable oh. Can't afford to be smelling fowl fowl for no reason.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Pavore9: 8:51am On May 06, 2016
mecuzee:

Did you just say anywhere in Nigeria? Now am interested. Pls tell me more!

Go read up and watch videos on aquaponics.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by PiccoloBrunelli(m): 9:02am On May 06, 2016
keoplus:
You wont smell fowl fowl because you own a poultry if you maintain proper hygiene in your farm. Poultry business is profitable but its not a get rich scheme, you will have to grow the business over time. I run a poultry though with few layer birds and i must say its a business one can do that will bring in extra change.

Lol. Sorry Bossman. Of cos I know a few poultry farmers who are doing well...and they sure smell good. God bless your business sir. May you continue to thrive.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by jay7(m): 9:05am On May 06, 2016
Yesssssss a million times
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by dot84(m): 9:09am On May 06, 2016
Yes! I would quit my job to start my own farm without looking back for a sec.

I spent 4 years at the university, bagged a degree in Fisheries, served on a fish farm for a year and managed my own fish farm for another year. I now work in an 'office' not because i really want to but because i discovered that to run a farm on a scale big enough to live comfortably i needed some BIG bucks.

Saving up on that now and i'm sure when the time is right imma drop the pen, roll up my sleeves and hit the farm! cheesy cheesy
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by KPhantom(m): 9:10am On May 06, 2016
chai, i even applied to study Animal science sef.. Farming ti take over.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Eze2000(m): 9:10am On May 06, 2016
100% yes Actually I love farming and watching things grew, whether plants or livestock.

1 Like

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by sage85(m): 10:03am On May 06, 2016
Have always love agriculture with passion! And have really worked hard towards becoming a good farmer. I like to farm, and I have an agro allied blueprint for Nigeria and her youth to enable "us" acquire youth common wealth to see her (Nigeria youth) dispense goodies that will see her turn around her economy. Have done a lot of campaign with NYSC and secondary school children, and they seems to like the initiative. Went further to execute some projects with the fund and support given to me during the campaign. Will always be remembered in the community where I served in Ukala, Oshimili North Delta state. The links to some of my works albums are as follows. https://m.facebook.com/ofikwu.emmanuel.9/albums/465152583651431/ https://m.facebook.com/ofikwu.emmanuel.9/albums/320111994822158/ https://m.facebook.com/ofikwu.emmanuel.9/albums/519699281530094/
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by MisterGrace: 10:40am On May 06, 2016
Yes please. I love farming very much.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by alien1: 10:50am On May 06, 2016
Farming all the way.....
I only need a job to work for few years,expand my plantation then retire. @ worst I plan to retire by 33.
Don't even ask what section of agriculture am into....
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by hotmas911(m): 10:59am On May 06, 2016
AgricNation:
In Nigeria currently, our economy isn’t in the best state and companies are taking pay cuts and even laying staff off just so they can reduce their costs and increase profit.

In the past, Nigerians have been very dependent on oil as the main source of money and trade. However, recently the prices of oil have been on a steady fall, while the dollar keeps rising, making it increasingly difficult.

Agriculture poses a fresh and new means of generating economy in our country, as that sector is still underdeveloped. However, other African countries such as Kenya or Uganda are making strides in developing their agriculture and making it a main source of income.

In Nairobi, a woman quit her job as a purchasing assistant to become a farmer, is now making millions from watermelon farming in her country. Read the full story on our website http://agricnation.com/i-quit-job-farm-watermelons-now-im-making-millions-annie-nyaga/

Would you quit your current job as a banker, lawyer, secretary, laborer, or engineer, to become a farmer if the pay was higher? What type of farming or agriculture would you go into? How do we encourage more people to go into farming as a business?

We would like to hear your opinion!

Why not? Be part of this.

www.nairaland.com/3075073/cashew-cassava-perfect-agro-investment-package-absentee
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Duke007(m): 11:32am On May 06, 2016
Yes o, I can quit my job for become a farmer provided I have a well lay out plan. Agric rocks!
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by adeowo84(m): 12:10pm On May 06, 2016
yes, please do you have one for me? I will quit Now!
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by sitibemfen(m): 12:14pm On May 06, 2016
I am already pondering leaving my present job for agric. My problem is how to mechanize the operations.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Opeyemi4real(m): 12:34pm On May 06, 2016
I won't use my brain before saying yes!
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by lielbreema: 1:23pm On May 06, 2016
Pavore9:

It spreads across. For example, working on a project that aims towards having apples trees across Nigeria become a common sight.
Apples? I thought apples can't grow in Nigeria. Pls I'm interested in hearing more?
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Seventeen(f): 2:19pm On May 06, 2016
Sometimes its not about money, Its ideal if u have passion for what u do. God gave us different passions for a reason.

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Pavore9: 2:25pm On May 06, 2016
lielbreema:

Apples? I thought apples can't grow in Nigeria. Pls I'm interested in hearing more?

I will update you in the coming months, when the ones already planted in Lagos would have started blossoming.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by TS2(m): 2:48pm On May 06, 2016
Yup.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Haryohdeji(m): 6:20pm On May 06, 2016
seguno2:

Please sir, how many political science graduates have you employed as your LGA Councillor, chairman, governor, lawmakers and president?
Or are they not managing our political system?
Thanks.
you just talked like someone who his dwaft... Ppl with dis ur ideal are who will not let 9ja developed... Do you need a university certificate to be a successful politician? Do varsity like FUTA,FUTO, FUTMINA,LAUTECH who do not have Political science course, Do have SUG? What if you are once an SUG member in varsity now can't be a politicians... All what those need is charisma,good leadership spirit, boldness, ability to solve problem to become a politician#If You can't expect an agric graduate to be a doctor or lawyer... Then Y do yoy expect a Lawyer,Doctor to be a farmar manager.
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by lielbreema: 6:24pm On May 06, 2016
Pavore9:

I will update you in the coming months, when the ones already planted in Lagos would have started blossoming.
Pls do. My email is annria456@gmail.com

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Pavore9: 6:41pm On May 06, 2016
lielbreema:

Pls do. My email is annria456@gmail.com

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Noted.

1 Like

Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by mecuzee(m): 10:16am On May 08, 2016
Pavore9:

Go read up and watch videos on aquaponics.

DO you know if anyone in Nigeria that successfully runs an aquaponic system on a commercial scale?
Re: Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? by Vick4rill(m): 11:53am On May 09, 2016
feran15:

I'm in a private school.. no space to farm.
EXCUSE UPON EXCUSE, GUESS U JST TYPE WHAT COMES OUT OF UR HEAD.U NEVA WANT TO GO INTO FARMING.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NECA Insists Banks Will Retrench Where Necessary / Sharia Court Orders Tailor To Pay For Missing Clothes Or Go To Jail(photos) / Joining The US Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.