Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,654 members, 7,820,273 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? (12894 Views)

Labour Right Every Employee Should Know / As FG, Labour Begin Negotiations On New Minimum Wage / Labour Plans Fresh Showdown With 7 Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 25, 2018
I will start with the moment you gain admission.
1. Why do we go to school? You realised a large number of graduate go to school for the sake of going to school and to show off. Many computer science students can't type effectively talkless of developing something. You don't expect me not to pick the very best out of the multitude that apply for a job and the rest are roaming about the streets complaining of unemployment.
2. Majority believe that graduating with a good grade is all that matters. Let them erase the mind set that with top grade, they will land a good job it is just a certificate especially here in Nigeria (la cram la pour) .
The bottom line is, u can't be good at what you do without seeing changes. it might take a year or two but you will.
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by eph12(m): 1:10pm On Jan 25, 2018
Biochemistry and microbiology undergraduates should ensure they finish with not less than a 2.1. They should also be ready to work for little change for the first 0-3 years, so as to get the necessary experience to get bigger offers.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by unclemide(m): 1:10pm On Jan 25, 2018
RUN
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 25, 2018
School in Nigeria is a scam...unless you are connected..OR lucky.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by firo08(m): 1:11pm On Jan 25, 2018
My candid advice to undergraduate is to encourage them to learn one or two skills because the current labour market is not favourable. There is no job anywhere and forget about the promises your relations, friends and others make to get you employ after graduation. they have to understand what the labour means. Labour market is a market where the demand and supply of labour are determine. But the demand for labour is lower than supply of,meaning there is shortage. Skill acquisition is the best option.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Ken4agent(m): 1:13pm On Jan 25, 2018
Exoticstan:
I am carrying out a research ahead of a book I will soon publish. With respect to that, I need the candid opinions of as many graduates as possible.
Please I really need your input if you are a graduate.

The question is: If you were to give an undergraduate some advice regarding their financial future or labour market, what will it be?

Your advice will be most helpful to my research and additionally, YOU MAY INDICATE
- YOUR FIRST NAME
- COURSE OF STUDY
- YEAR OF GRADUATION
- OR ANY WORTHWHILE INFO.

I may quote you in the book.

They should acquire a land by rent or purchase or even go back to their village and emback on Agro Biz......for directions they should contact us or any reliable Agro Biz farmer.....cheers!!
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Gerrard59(m): 1:14pm On Jan 25, 2018
Visit www.jarushub.com.

In there, you'll find everything! It helped me, I'm sure it will do you same.
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 25, 2018
Just urge your parents or you yourself source for capital to learn trade and vocation if na tailoring, barbing, make up stylist..dont bother yourself going for masters except u have a lot money if have money do your masters..with 200k u will waste on masters u can use it to develop yourself mentally and skillfully by learning trade or vocation....so many skills outside u can learn...the number of graduates outside is too much for the country to sustain be it bad governance or not.. our parents have made a huge mistakes by all thinking the same way..we are investing a lot into education whereas other field are dead..agriculture sports would have been a great idea..urge my dad to take me to a football academy or make me learn tennis becos i really liked it but he did find out the cost but failed to take me there maybe be i would have been a great player who knows..my interest has been sports..our leaders have failed us.. our parents are making mistakes and the present ones are still making more mistakes..i will urge people who would become future parents to try as much possible to open a child investment account for their unborn child with this investment they can become future entrepreneurs...Education is important but not a necessity to success...wise up people..

3 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by tragergeorge(m): 1:17pm On Jan 25, 2018
Exoticstan:
Any more suggestions?

lalasticlala
get a laptop a good smart phone, that's if you don't have that already,face reality, only 10percent of graduates can boast of a meaningful job, so if u guy, I suugest Ghana or Togo, or u can remain in 9ja ,be serious with the connecting one day your call will be picked up, I bet you in 3months you can get wat your working or skilled graduate will get in 3yrs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by linearity: 1:17pm On Jan 25, 2018
BruncleZuma:
It's a jungle out there just adapt like Tarzan, any skill you did not pickup in the University will come back to hunt you...English 101 issa Bae

grin grin grin grin

And lastly NYSC is a scam.

I truly believe that, these trying times make NYSC more relevant. If for nothing else, it serves as a way of cushioning today’s graduates from the hard and harsh reality out there.

Many graduates realize this and spend their NYSC days saving money with which to launch one business or the other. Many learn a skill or two...if you really a wise student, you can make that one year NYSC incubation period work for you.

Please, if you are a corper or about to be one; let that one year work for you. There will never be another time in your lifespan, where you will have very little responsibility, less pressure, less demand and still be earning money, month-to-month. Learn a skill, save money and you will have some cushion once you pass out; if you don’t and don’t have a Godfather out there, you find out the harshest way that, out there is a jungle and the fittest sometimes get eaten up.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 25, 2018
eph12:
Biochemistry and microbiology undergraduates should ensure they finish with not less than a 2.1. They should also be ready to work for little change for the first 0-3 years, so as to get the necessary experience to get bigger offers.
In ten years time it will change to first class..
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by BruncleZuma: 1:21pm On Jan 25, 2018
linearity:

I truly believe that, these trying times make NYSC more relevant. If for nothing else, it serves as a way of cushioning today’s graduates from the hard and harsh reality out there.

Many graduates realize this and spend their NYSC days saving money with which to launch one business or the other. Many learn a skill or two...if you really a wise student, you can make that one year NYSC incubation period work for you.

Please, if you are a corper or about to be one; let that one year work for you. There will never be another time in your lifespan, where you will have very little responsibility, less pressure, less demand and still be earning money, month-to-month. Learn a skill, save money and you will have some cushion once you pass out; if you don’t and don’t have a Godfather out there, you find out the harshest way that, out there is a jungle and the fittest sometimes get eaten up.

It has always been a jungle...
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 25, 2018
Ask them what they study in the university.
irrelevant courses

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by higherpower: 1:31pm On Jan 25, 2018
Study hard to come our with good grades. No matter what, you will have a job someday. Meanwhile, I will advice you study a profess course.
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Equiano: 1:31pm On Jan 25, 2018
There's no need being an undergraduate in this country, the best is to channel the time,money,energy etc required to study in Nigeria into a business of your choice. cos there are no jobs in the labour market to absorb the thousands of the graduates being churned out every year. before you disjudge me I graduated in 2011 with a good grade, I have many IT professional certifications like ODBC, CISA etc and am a chartered Accountant. I have my own private business which gives me more finance than my current job. University education is overhyped, if am given a second chance, I won't go to the university to waste four years of my life. My personal opinion and suggestion, the decision is yours.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by josh123(m): 2:11pm On Jan 25, 2018
As for me am currently in 300 level,i actually became conceious of the game life and circumstances will play with me after school if i only depend on my certificate. while in 100 level i started reading business books,motivational and sales books.anytime i got home i normally tell my parents that there is limited job outside,and i wll sometimes make example of my cousin who has finished school for the past five years without job.i was actually intrested in business and i told them i got a business idea,they analysed d idea and saw it going to yield huge amount of profit,they accepted it and was willing to sponsor me when am through with my education which is hopefully nextyear.now i am more intrested in reading business books authored by successful business men rather than reading courses that will be useless after school.

2 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Swtfruitzrecord(m): 2:19pm On Jan 25, 2018
Try acquire a skill while in school.... Do not be deceived Nigeria is one hell of a joke ...
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by gabicon: 2:20pm On Jan 25, 2018
Understand that there has been a paradigm shift over the years, we have moved from an education economy to a skill/value economy. every employer or clients have just one question for you which is "what can you do?".

you have to learn how to do something better than everyone else. no career is demeaning, it may look so but the addition of a little innovation makes it a gold mine, who better to add the innovation than you.

Decide what you want to do with your life in school, if you don't, it will take you 2-3 years of struggle to do so.

Don't forget to always have a contingency plan (if I don't get a job in a bank after 2 months I will start frying yam & akara on my street).

write down your plan with practical steps to realizing it.

N.B: Starting a business should be the thought of every graduate (there are more people ready to invest in a business than there are people taking practical steps to start one)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 25, 2018
I already owned a poultry farm since when I was in part 3, by the time I graduated I was already doing well, if not for a shitty scheme called NYSC that's currently trying to make me loose a lot of money. Gosh some policies in this country suckz

3 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by eph12(m): 2:26pm On Jan 25, 2018
sprintscr7:
In ten years time it will change to first class..
Unless if the number of first class graduates in those courses increase drastically
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by NAPC1(m): 2:37pm On Jan 25, 2018
Thursday, January 25, 2018

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Danialuone: 3:03pm On Jan 25, 2018
1 .Learn a skill and be a master in it
2. Be flexible in your expectation
3.be rugged,don't give up easily
4.keep a good contact and be nice to everyone
5.use internet to research about business ideal and plan
6.be prayerfull
7.be discipline in hardwork, savings and investment

2 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Xtopher123(m): 3:22pm On Jan 25, 2018
My advice is Learn as much as possible outside the Curriculum of your discipline..

I did that during my University days and it's paying off now and I dont regret skipping classes Sometimes to develop myself...

Name: Christopher
Major: Architecture, UNN

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by akashi01(m): 3:26pm On Jan 25, 2018
josh123:
As for me am currently in 300 level,i actually became conceious of the game life and circumstances will play with me after school if i only depend on my certificate. while in 100 level i started reading business books,motivational and sales books.anytime i got home i normally tell my parents that there is limited job outside,and i wll sometimes make example of my cousin who has finished school for the past five years without job.i was actually intrested in business and i told them i got a business idea,they analysed d idea and saw it going to yield huge amount of profit,they accepted it and was willing to sponsor me when am through with my education which is hopefully nextyear.now i am more intrested in reading business books authored by successful business men rather than reading courses that will be useless after school.
Learn the skills first. Not just business. Those books won't tell you the secrets. Get a mentor.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by lucarella: 3:27pm On Jan 25, 2018
Sincerely! Drop out of school and get a mentor. Everything they learnt in school won't be useful to them - except they want to be doctors or nurses.

1 Like

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Ikennablue(m): 3:31pm On Jan 25, 2018
Op thanks for a thread like this. Am an undergraduate and i think the earlier we stop fantasizing on what it use to be like and face the true nature of the Nigeria labour market, the better for us.
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by TimT: 3:32pm On Jan 25, 2018
My advice to them is...... "Anywhere you find yourself in life, try as much as possible to be the best you can be... Education is important, but Hard-work(physically and intellectually) are more important... " Because you come out with a first class is not a guarantee that u will get a job, remember that there are people with masters in the same field who are underpaid or even unemployed... Don't feel too proud, for everything we do in life prepare us for the next step in life... Remember that, VIRTUALLY EVERY undergraduate wants White collar jobs, and since we all DON'T KNOW tomorrow, we are not sure if we will be among...
So as an undergraduate, study to get good grades and get knowledge, for even if u don't see a job after graduating, what u surely venture into will progress...
Keep moving, Keep struggling, Keep searching for opportunities and tomorrow u will have a story to tell....
Name: Tim
Course: Bsc Public Admin.
Yr: 2017
Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by philiancoop(m): 3:43pm On Jan 25, 2018
My cousin

2 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by Arcbox(m): 4:23pm On Jan 25, 2018
Well, I will advice every undergraduate to be very focus on their studies because education is key. Be that as it may, while you are in school try n go extra mile out of ur curriculum n do smetin different in terms of entrepreneurship. All universities in Nigeria nw hav entrepreneurship centres n nobody shud ignore it. More so, they shud prepare their mind to tink out of the box and to crown it all choose God first. I take an instance from my experience, as Architect dat deals wit design of buildings, u cud explore out of d box wit fashion design n automobile design as ur extra effort n dat will give out anoda option out of the core subject n u will neva regreat it.

Metro Arc
B.tech/ M.tech Architecture

2 Likes

Re: What Advice Would You Give Undergraduates About The Labour Market? by InvertedHammer: 4:37pm On Jan 25, 2018
Do you remember the uncle promising you job(s) as soon as you graduate?

He ain't got nothing!

\

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Would You Do If You Catch Your Boss Snooping Through Your Phone? / Please Help With Ideas For A Career Path. / Work Experience Or Further Study.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.