Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,854 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using (29829 Views)

Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? / Top Reasons To Use Airplane Mode Even When You’re Not Flying / 5 Cool Things You Can Do On Whatsapp You Probably Didn't Know About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by nze4al(m): 3:49pm On May 07, 2016
The beauty of technology isn’t just doing more stuff, it’s doing stuff quickly. Whether you want to call a specific contact with one tap, launch the camera in a flash to quickly capture the perfect moment, or search for an app while in a rush, here are some of the best shortcuts built into Android that you’re probably not using.

1. Launch Your Camera Instantly with a Double-Tap of the Power Button
That awkward moment where the perfect shot comes along, but by the time you get your phone out of your pocket, wake it up, unlock it, and launch the camera, that moment is gone. It’s a bummer, and all you end up with is a terrible picture that was taken too late and just reminds you of the moment you missed.

Well the good news is that it doesn’t have to be this way. If you’re running a modern Android phone with Marshmallow (Android 6.0), then you can launch the camera instantly by tapping the power button twice while the phone is asleep (it’s the home button on Samsung Galaxy phones). Seriously—go ahead and try it. On a few select phones, this shortcut may be different.

It should only take a split second to have the camera ready to go with this super useful little shortcut.

2. Call or Text With One Tap Using Contact Widgets
I believe we all have people that we call or text more often than others, and there’s no easier way to keep those quick calls or texts to one tap than with the Contact Direct widgets. These are essentially 1×1 icons on your home screen that immediately call or text a specific contact with one tap.

To drop one of these icons on your home screen, just jump into your device’s widgets menu by long-pressing the home screen and tapping the “Widgets” icon. Scroll until you find the “Contacts” section, then choose whichever one you want to use: Direct dial 1×1 or Direct message 1×1. Long-press it then, drop it on the home screen. From there, you’ll select the contact you want to associate the widget with, and that’s it.

3. Using Your Voice to Do Everything Faster

This is the most useful one, but most people overlooked this feature on their phone. With Google Now, you can do anything capable of, and all you need to do is say “OK Google”. It may feel weird talking to your phone at first, but when you realize how blazingly fast it is for certain tasks, you’ll never go back.

Before you do that, however, you’ll need to enable “OK Google detection” from any screen. To do that, jump into the Google Now app by either swiping up on the home button or long-pressing it (depending on your version of Android), heading into the menu, and choosing “Settings.” From there, select “Voice,” then “’OK Google’ detection.” You can toggle the “From any screen” setting here, and it will prompt you to set up a voice model if you haven’t already. Now you can call on Google Now from any screen.

Once Google Now is listening to what you’re saying, you can ask it a huge variety of questions, such as (but not limited to):

When does X business close?

How tall is person?

How many quarts are in a gallon?

What is five percent of 99?

What’s the weather going to be like this weekend?

When is holiday?

When is the next sports team game?

What song is this? (with music playing in the background)

What time is it in other place?

And so much more. But again, that’s not all. You can also set reminders, send texts, or create appointments:

Text friend “how about lunch tomorrow?”

Remind me to do thing tomorrow at 11 AM.

Set a timer for X minutes.

Navigate to place of interest.

Call person or business.

Listen to Artist on Google Play Music.

Create a calendar event: name, date, and time.

Seriously—the more you use it, the more you’ll learn to do with it.

4.Use Quick Responses to Let Callers Know Why You Can’t Answer
This feature has actually been around since, though I’m not sure many people realize it still exists. Basically, it offers a quick way of letting someone know why you can’t answer the phone by sending them a quick text—all you have to do is swipe up on the incoming call screen and choose what text you want to send. There are a few pre-set selections, like “Can’t talk right now. What’s up?” and “I’ll call you right back,” but the best part is that you can actually customize these on most Android phones.

In stock Marshmallow, just jump into the dialer and tap the three-button overflow menu in the top right corner. Select “Settings,” then “Quick responses.” There you go—edit away.

On stock Lollipop (5.0+) phones, the process is basically the same, but in the dialer’s Settings menu, tap “General,” then “Quick responses” at the very bottom.

These features may be hidden in different spots—some of which make sense, and others that do not. For example, on Samsung’s newest software builds, you can find Quick Responses in the More > Settings > Call blocking > Call-reject messages. Yeah, it’s pretty deep.

Keep in mind that it may or may not be labeled as “Quick responses,” but the option will almost certainly be found in in the dialer app.

5. Quickly Search for Any App

For those of you that have a lot of apps installed, sometimes it’s easier to just search for what you’re looking for than it is to scroll through a stupid-long list of stuff. Fortunately, Google baked a way into the Google Now Launcher—which is the stock launcher on Nexus devices, but also available for download from Google Play for all others—to quickly get access to the app drawer’s search tool.

From the home screen, just long-press the app drawer icon. That’s it! The drawer will immediately open with the “Search Apps…” bar open and the keyboard ready to go. It easily shaves a bit of time off of opening the drawer, then tapping the Search box.

These are the most useful shortcuts to improve your overall experience, I hope you’ll find them useful and please share with others.

Source: http://www.techmzy.com.ng/2016/05/07/here-are-some-of-the-best-android-shortcuts-youre-probably-not-using/

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by defemidefemi(m): 4:07pm On May 07, 2016
I'm trying to do that number 3. Using Your Voice to Do Everything Faster, but I didn't get it right. or is it base on the type of android one uses? I use Techno Y4.

1 Like

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by nze4al(m): 5:43pm On May 07, 2016
defemidefemi:
I'm trying to do that number 3. Using Your Voice to Do Everything Faster, but I didn't get it right. or is it base on the type of android one uses? I use Techno Y4.

You have to tap on the mic icon and say Ok Google do this for me...(for example OK Google call my love or OK Google Play hotline bling by Drake etc) wink

1 Like

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Danfuster(m): 5:44pm On May 07, 2016
defemidefemi:

you Need a much quieter environment to do this and consistency cos the more you use it, the more the phone integrates your voice signature.

Note that some high end phones now comes with noise cancelation spec. I.e with my HTC M8, I can receive your call while on a bike trying to get through oshodi garage and you probably won't know.

If your phone keeps typing out the wrong words as you speak, it's probably cos of your accent, you need to work around that too.

N.B be sure to set your voice language too I.e United States or UK English.

I hope this helps

6 Likes

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by JesusCrew: 6:38pm On May 07, 2016
It's okay
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:48pm On May 07, 2016
Nice one op frontpage mod

1 Like

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by dsmooth1(m): 10:43pm On May 07, 2016
K
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by weezii(m): 10:45pm On May 07, 2016
If your phone can't do any of this
Sorry

12 Likes

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Heeyhun(f): 11:02pm On May 07, 2016
OK Google "wha e the name of the person e husband yaff die" :p

4 Likes

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by nze4al(m): 11:03pm On May 07, 2016
weezii:
If your phone can't do any of this

Sorry
lols ur funny

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by olempe(m): 12:19am On May 08, 2016
Its a nice concept. I remember when Google Inc was developing that voice search I was one of the people that participated in the voice recordings for Nigeria in 2015. They've started another round now and the contract has been signed and its sitting on my laptop, hope to do the job next week. Its a nice experience though the money is small.

You can participate in this year's own too of you're an online freelancer.

3 Likes

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by yomalex(m): 6:32am On May 08, 2016
Nice also check Android Secret Codes
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by tooman: 6:34am On May 08, 2016
nice
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by calliope(f): 6:35am On May 08, 2016
Is there shortcut for full accessibility of Internet without data.? angry

1 Like

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Nobody: 6:47am On May 08, 2016
cheesy the voice search I do like!

Nice nze4al
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Nobody: 6:47am On May 08, 2016
calliope:
Is there shortcut for full accessibility of Internet without data.? angry

I intended reporting this post but.......
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by macaranta(m): 6:47am On May 08, 2016
Nice one

Also check [url]macaranta.com[/url]
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by obontami: 6:55am On May 08, 2016
Highly Informative thank you cool
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Nobody: 6:55am On May 08, 2016
Danfuster:

you Need a much quieter environment to do this and consistency cos the more you use it, the more the phone integrates your voice signature.

Note that some high end phones now comes with noise cancelation spec. I.e with my HTC M8, I can receive your call while on a bike trying to get through oshodi garage and you probably won't know.

If your phone keeps typing out the wrong words as you speak, it's probably cos of your accent, you need to work around that too.

N.B be sure to set your voice language too I.e United States or UK English.

I hope this helps

I tried using the voice feature but what I got was 'app not installed'. How do I get the application? Thanks
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by koxi: 6:59am On May 08, 2016
Nice piece. I bet some of us didn't know...
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by mu2sa2: 7:02am On May 08, 2016
defemidefemi:
You must pronounce your words correctly (standard english) otherwise No. 3 (Google now) may not work properly. If you pronounce governor as "goh-va-noh" google will bring out a different result because you mispronounced the word. Also, brevity in my experience is helpful e.g. instead of asking "what is the exchange rate of 100,000 naira to dollar today", simply say "100,000 naira to dollar" (note that "hundred" is pronounced "handred", not "horndred".

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by vandersave: 7:05am On May 08, 2016
olempe:
Its a nice concept. I remember when Google Inc was developing that voice search I was one of the people that participated in the voice recordings for Nigeria in 2015. They've started another round now and the contract has been signed and its sitting on my laptop, hope to do the job next week. Its a nice experience though the money is small.

How do I go about this?
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by chimah3(m): 7:07am On May 08, 2016
What have dey nau been doing since undecided
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by simplibaba(m): 7:13am On May 08, 2016
olempe:

How do I go about it
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Nobody: 7:15am On May 08, 2016
K
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Nobody: 7:23am On May 08, 2016
E f
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by drizslim(m): 7:25am On May 08, 2016
Good
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Nobody: 7:32am On May 08, 2016
Done ages ago.
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by mumels(m): 7:37am On May 08, 2016
olempe:

I like to participate. How do I go about it. Thanks
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Seequadry(m): 7:37am On May 08, 2016
olempe:

Kindly explain more on how to participate in it
#thanks
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by adezjamz(m): 7:38am On May 08, 2016
nze4al:
The beauty of technology isn’t just doing more stuff, it’s doing stuff quickly. Whether you want to call a specific contact with one tap, launch the camera in a flash to quickly capture the perfect moment, or search for an app while in a rush, here are some of the best shortcuts built into Android that you’re probably not using.

1. Launch Your Camera Instantly with a Double-Tap of the Power Button
That awkward moment where the perfect shot comes along, but by the time you get your phone out of your pocket, wake it up, unlock it, and launch the camera, that moment is gone. It’s a bummer, and all you end up with is a terrible picture that was taken too late and just reminds you of the moment you missed.

Well the good news is that it doesn’t have to be this way. If you’re running a modern Android phone with Marshmallow (Android 6.0), then you can launch the camera instantly by tapping the power button twice while the phone is asleep (it’s the home button on Samsung Galaxy phones). Seriously—go ahead and try it. On a few select phones, this shortcut may be different.

It should only take a split second to have the camera ready to go with this super useful little shortcut.

2. Call or Text With One Tap Using Contact Widgets
I believe we all have people that we call or text more often than others, and there’s no easier way to keep those quick calls or texts to one tap than with the Contact Direct widgets. These are essentially 1×1 icons on your home screen that immediately call or text a specific contact with one tap.

To drop one of these icons on your home screen, just jump into your device’s widgets menu by long-pressing the home screen and tapping the “Widgets” icon. Scroll until you find the “Contacts” section, then choose whichever one you want to use: Direct dial 1×1 or Direct message 1×1. Long-press it then, drop it on the home screen. From there, you’ll select the contact you want to associate the widget with, and that’s it.

3. Using Your Voice to Do Everything Faster

This is the most useful one, but most people overlooked this feature on their phone. With Google Now, you can do anything capable of, and all you need to do is say “OK Google”. It may feel weird talking to your phone at first, but when you realize how blazingly fast it is for certain tasks, you’ll never go back.

Before you do that, however, you’ll need to enable “OK Google detection” from any screen. To do that, jump into the Google Now app by either swiping up on the home button or long-pressing it (depending on your version of Android), heading into the menu, and choosing “Settings.” From there, select “Voice,” then “’OK Google’ detection.” You can toggle the “From any screen” setting here, and it will prompt you to set up a voice model if you haven’t already. Now you can call on Google Now from any screen.

Once Google Now is listening to what you’re saying, you can ask it a huge variety of questions, such as (but not limited to):

When does X business close?

How tall is person?

How many quarts are in a gallon?

What is five percent of 99?

What’s the weather going to be like this weekend?

When is holiday?

When is the next sports team game?

What song is this? (with music playing in the background)

What time is it in other place?

And so much more. But again, that’s not all. You can also set reminders, send texts, or create appointments:

Text friend “how about lunch tomorrow?”

Remind me to do thing tomorrow at 11 AM.

Set a timer for X minutes.

Navigate to place of interest.

Call person or business.

Listen to Artist on Google Play Music.

Create a calendar event: name, date, and time.

Seriously—the more you use it, the more you’ll learn to do with it.

4.Use Quick Responses to Let Callers Know Why You Can’t Answer
This feature has actually been around since, though I’m not sure many people realize it still exists. Basically, it offers a quick way of letting someone know why you can’t answer the phone by sending them a quick text—all you have to do is swipe up on the incoming call screen and choose what text you want to send. There are a few pre-set selections, like “Can’t talk right now. What’s up?” and “I’ll call you right back,” but the best part is that you can actually customize these on most Android phones.

In stock Marshmallow, just jump into the dialer and tap the three-button overflow menu in the top right corner. Select “Settings,” then “Quick responses.” There you go—edit away.

On stock Lollipop (5.0+) phones, the process is basically the same, but in the dialer’s Settings menu, tap “General,” then “Quick responses” at the very bottom.

These features may be hidden in different spots—some of which make sense, and others that do not. For example, on Samsung’s newest software builds, you can find Quick Responses in the More > Settings > Call blocking > Call-reject messages. Yeah, it’s pretty deep.

Keep in mind that it may or may not be labeled as “Quick responses,” but the option will almost certainly be found in in the dialer app.

5. Quickly Search for Any App

For those of you that have a lot of apps installed, sometimes it’s easier to just search for what you’re looking for than it is to scroll through a stupid-long list of stuff. Fortunately, Google baked a way into the Google Now Launcher—which is the stock launcher on Nexus devices, but also available for download from Google Play for all others—to quickly get access to the app drawer’s search tool.

From the home screen, just long-press the app drawer icon. That’s it! The drawer will immediately open with the “Search Apps…” bar open and the keyboard ready to go. It easily shaves a bit of time off of opening the drawer, then tapping the Search box.

These are the most useful shortcuts to improve your overall experience, I hope you’ll find them useful and please share with others.

Source: http://www.techmzy.com.ng/2016/05/07/here-are-some-of-the-best-android-shortcuts-youre-probably-not-using/
using gesture to make call instead of searching for contacts
Re: Here Are Some Of The Best Android Shortcuts You’re Probably Not Using by Unkl(m): 7:44am On May 08, 2016
Very apt

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's The Best Phone You've Ever Used Or You're Currently Using? / Screenshot And Post Your Data Usage In The Month Of February / How Can I Unlock My Tecno Android P3???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.