Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? (19931 Views)

Tecno Spark 2 With Face Unlock, 6 Inches 3500mah Battery: Specifications / Meet Infinix Hot 6 With Face Unlock: Check Specs, Features & Price / Infinix Hot S3 Update Releases Face Unlock Feature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by TechCapon(m): 7:29am On Jun 20, 2018

Face unlock now seem to be the latest trend in the smartphone world as more and more smartphones now come equipped with facial recognition security, offering up a new way for us all to secure and unlock our smartphones. I have friends with latest phones which comes with the face unlock feature on their smartphones but almost all of them are not using it. They’re not even using the fingerprint scanner on the phone either, rather they prefer the good old password/pattern to secure their phones. A lady once told me she doesn’t trust the feature because she doesn’t want to wake up one morning and the phone wont recognize her face. I believe most Nigerians don’t really understand the feature. The facial unlock feature is the most powerful and the most secure form of phone security in the smartphone world right now. Someone looking over your shoulder can actually see your phone pattern or password but if you use your fingerprint scanner or FACE ID, that problem is eradicated completely.

What’s the major difference between the fingerprint scanner and the facial unlock ?

Although both of them provide high level of security, Fingerprint technology is not really a smart feature but face unlock is a smart feature. If you have some dust particles or sweat on the finger, the scanner cannot capture your fingerprint and the phone will not unlock but face unlock use what is called “deep learning”. This feature allows your phone to learn its owner’s face even as the face changes over time. If the owner grows a beard or goatee, the smartphone will still recognize his face, If she applies make-up, the phone will also recognize her face. Face unlock is also faster than the fingerprint scanner, as soon as you pick up the phone, the front facing camera captures your face and it immediately unlocks.

Can the FACE ID technology be fooled ?

Apple says the FACE ID on the iPhone X is 99.997% secure but yes it can be fooled ! Identical twins can fool the FACE ID but it’s very rare to find identical twins that look exactly alike to the extent of fooling the FACE ID on the iPhone X, but tech blog Marshable found a set of identical twins that were able to fool the FACE ID. The case of the OnePlus 6 was even worse because someone with your photograph can equally unlock your phone using your photograph.

Conclusion.

Face unlock remains the best way to secure your device, the process of setting up the feature is very simple and straight forward, it’s better to use it than using the pattern. Infinix Hot 6 Pro and Tecno Spark 2 are some of the budget smartphones with face unlock.

Do you think there are other reasons why most Nigerians don't use the FACE ID on their smartphones ? Tell us in the comment section.

SOURCE: http://techcapon.com/why-are-nigerians-not-using-the-face-unlock-feature-of-their-smartphones/

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by TechCapon(m): 7:29am On Jun 20, 2018
Nice

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by uzohrome(m): 7:36am On Jun 20, 2018
Good observation, sophisticated password works for me best.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by izzou(m): 7:38am On Jun 20, 2018
grin

I don't know about guys, but for the ladies, it's because of makeup wahala

You are dark today and tomorrow, you are whiter than snow.

How the face id wan recognise you? undecided

172 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by TechCapon(m): 7:54am On Jun 20, 2018
izzou:
grin

I don't know about guys, but for the ladies, it's because of makeup wahala

You are dark today and tomorrow, you are whiter than snow.

How the face id wan recognise you? undecided

It will also recognize you. FACE ID has a "deep learning" feature that makes it possible for the phone to recognize its owner anytime. cheesy

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by izzou(m): 7:56am On Jun 20, 2018
TechCapon:
It will also recognize you. FACE ID has a "deep learning" feature that makes it possible for the phone to recognize its owner anytime. cheesy

I hope you realized it was only a joke

undecided

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by gunuvi(m): 8:53am On Jun 20, 2018
By the time sars or soldier whoze you dirty slap and now ask you to unlock your phone that's when you will know na danger to be using face id because the phone no go recognize you again. grin grin grin

124 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Opistorincos(m): 8:57am On Jun 20, 2018
i don't use it cos it's awkward for me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by ddjay: 9:41am On Jun 20, 2018
but this is not a new technology, i used it on my android 4 (2014/2015) phone

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by troubleseller: 10:32am On Jun 20, 2018
Not most Nigerians most girls. And it is becausr of makeup. Befor makeup you look like Donatella Versace after make up you look like Aishwaraya Rai. How you want make your phone recognize you?

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Anegbettedude: 10:48am On Jun 20, 2018
Good one, i use it on my Infinix Hot S3 and it works well.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by masterfactor(m): 10:53am On Jun 20, 2018
password and pin will always be the best security features a phone can have. all this face I'd and biometrics are just for convenience.
note:- no let people look you like patient wey just escape from yaba left all in the name of using face I'd

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Tallesty1(m): 11:28am On Jun 20, 2018
masterfactor:
password and pin will always be the best security features a phone can have. all this face I'd and biometrics are just for convenience.
All na marketing gimmick and it is very disrespectful to mention Infinix, Tecno and iPhone X in same post when the topic is Face ID and Security.

Only iPhone X and Xiaomi Mi 8 series have reliable face id. The rest are not secure at all, OnePlus 6's face id was fooled with a printed selfie just few days after launch and the company had to issue a statement to clarify that it is less secure than other options.(pin, password, pattern and finger print scanner)

Thing is this, a front facing camera doesn't know the difference between a flat surface and a real one. Apple had to use IR dot projector to map faces in 3D in other to make Face unlock secure. Xiaomi followed suit in their Mi 8 series.
Samsung merged their own with iris scanner to make it considerably secure. Other phones are using software tricks.

The face unlock feature on Infinx, Tecno, Oneplus, and other Android phones that use just the front cameras are not secure at all. They're useful as a hedgehog in a condom factory as far as "security" is concerned.
What

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by MarkWayne89: 11:37am On Jun 20, 2018
I remember I saw a youtube video about this makeup artist that tested face lock features of a phone. Some phones were a hit and miss, while other's were pretty neat. Guess it all depends on how secure the technology on those phones are.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 20, 2018
So someone just wave the fone at ur face while sleeping then he is good to peruse ur fone as he/she wants.

Finger print is better. U either use password or in 2 secs ur finger print unlocks it. Have seen where my friend wave my fone to my face and was unlocked. So simple. From then I stop the face shit.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 20, 2018
So someone just wave the fone at ur face while sleeping then he is good to peruse ur fone as he/she wants.

Finger print is better. U either use password or in 2 secs ur finger print unlocks it. Have seen where my friend waved my fone to my face and was unlocked. So simple. From then I stop the face shit.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Nobody: 11:53am On Jun 20, 2018
We too black, black inside and out.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by ShitHead(m): 11:53am On Jun 20, 2018
Nigerian women can't use that. They can't. Their faces change like campaign promises.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by koladebrainiac(m): 11:54am On Jun 20, 2018
Till now,there is not face software recognition that can accurately capture black man faces. it reads as the same.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by oshe11: 11:54am On Jun 20, 2018
What if our girls forget the kinda face they were wearing when they activated it and were unable to do a perfect makeup as the first one?

Abi U do not know our girls are 50 shades of faces?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by fmlala: 11:54am On Jun 20, 2018
BECAUSE OF HEAVY MAKE-UP
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by dopedealer(m): 11:55am On Jun 20, 2018
Answer : Because our ladies cannot do without make up. The smartphone may just go on confusion transmission tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Zamad(m): 11:55am On Jun 20, 2018
HABA
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by inoki247: 11:56am On Jun 20, 2018
becos of SARS
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by AreaFada2: 11:56am On Jun 20, 2018
Simple. Two reasons:

General: after Buhari recession shrink your face, even high tech in phone will not recognise you.
Women: All that layer of face paint they call make-up won't allow it. No intelligent app can remedy it. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by beautyandbrains1: 11:56am On Jun 20, 2018
OP don't you know that 'most Nigerians' are females? And females don't have one face

Thank God I am female and I have just one face
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Lawalemi(m): 11:57am On Jun 20, 2018
Funny comments.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by Bossontop(m): 11:57am On Jun 20, 2018
undecided
As pesin talk.....if buhari do pesin e no go recognise u again

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by omoadeleye(m): 11:57am On Jun 20, 2018
Who get time to dey look at phone when is not a mirror
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by OboOlora(f): 11:58am On Jun 20, 2018
Ok
Re: Why Are Most Nigerians Not Using The Face Unlock Feature Of Their Smartphones ? by bigwig10(m): 11:58am On Jun 20, 2018
Hw many phones sef get face recog id op that u tlking abt undecided,some ill topics makin FP

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 5 Features Launched By Whatsapp In 2018 / 5 Reasons Why You Should Try Out Unpopular Phone Brands / Huawei New Algo Modem Unlock Code Generator (e303 Etc)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.