Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,856 members, 7,824,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) (11068 Views)

"Homosexuality Wasn't Alien To Yoruba; Sango Was A Cross Dresser" - Historian / Burial Of Zarma Usman Koso And His 3 Children Who Died In Accident (Photos) / Benin History 101... Myth About Oba Of Benin Bursted! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Realmcfynest: 6:48pm On May 07, 2016
Learn More About Sango

Sango the legendary king of the primordial Oyo Kingdom has had conflicting stories about his parentage, there is a version that states his father was Oranmiyan and his mother was an Iyemoja (mermaid) from Nupe, there is another one that says he was the product of Obatala and Ajagun (the king of fire). Obatala the popular king of white cloth was said to be embarking on an essential journey and needed to cross a certain river, Ajagun who was the ferryman refused to board him, Obatala left but to change into a beautiful woman which Ajagun found irresistible. Obatala thus made a deal with her/his body for crossing. That was what led to how Sango was conceived. This uneasy combination therefore, induced the fierce character of Sango.

I will tell the one which appears plausible, adapted by historians, backed by Odu-Ifa and as told in folklores in the Yoruba religion sphere. Oranmiyan was the father of Sango, Oranmiyan the founder of Oyo kingdom and the youngest grandson of Oduduwa the progenitor married a Nupe woman who bore him Sango.

All stories about Sango are dramatic, it was said that he went in search of his father Ajagun and at a point, had to throw himself inside a burning lake to prove his lineage as Ajagun was the king of fire (this is in line with the debunked story).

Anyway,when Ajaka was Alaafin , Oyo kingdom was under incessant treat of war from Owu, Olowu was Ajaka’s cousin; who ruled Owu Kingdom. Olowu sent his warriors to capture Alaafin Ajaka and to bring him to Owu dead or alive. In their effort to rescue Alaafin Ajaka, the Oyomesi sent for Sango in the land of Nupe where Sango was living, Sango's fame was flourishing at Nupe, he was powerful, fearless and could spurt fire from his mouth. Sango was highly short tempered, he would spurt fire when angry.

Ajaka was sent on exile emanating from a vote of no confidence from the Oyomesi, Sango was made king after he rescued Oyo. He thus became the third Alaafin and ruled fearlessly.

Sango had three wives. Oya, who he loved dearly and became fond of, Sango would allow her to touch his hair which was an abomination but Oya later betrayed him by revealing his secrets of wizardry. Osun, the river goddess who was his favourite because of her cooking skills and Oba, who tried to win Sango's love by making a meal out of her ear for Sango. Sango later sent her packing resulting from a dispute between her and Osun, Oba left and out of frustration, turned into a river now called River Oba, which becomes turbulent whenever it meets with river Osun.

Sango was known to plait his hair into a style known as Suku, he designed it with red apparel and cowries (Laba and Yewu), he was known to hold double bladed axe (Ose Sango). Ram was is usual animal and still being uphold as symbolic pet of Sango by his followers, his favourite colour was red. He possessed a special sort of drum called 'Bata' and enjoyed eating bitter kolanut, porridge and yam. His followers of the glorious Yoruba Ifa religion still possess these features. They dress like Sango and could breathe fire, and are extremely pyromania.

The Latter Days Of Sango

King Sango had two warlords whose names were Gbonka and Timi, they were equally as lethal as Sango, Sango knew this and secretly planned to get rid of them.

He set the both of them up in a deadly contest with each other which later boomerang, Timi got killed and Gbonka who all of a sudden realised Sango’s hidden tactics, countered Sango and over powered him.

He banished Sango into the outskirts of Oyo. Sango was forced to desert Oyo and was said to have hanged himself at a place later called Koso. This, his disciple refuted, they claimed he only ascended to heaven to take charge of thunder and lightning. The popular saying “Obakoso or Olukoso” means King Sango did not hang.

By: Bola Olalekan (As told by historians)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Realmcfynest: 7:00pm On May 07, 2016
I am not sure, but it eas said that sango eas impotent because he allowed oua to touch his hair and even plait it.

Sango was a genius, he mastered the art of generating electricity using copper or brass as seen with his staff popularly called ose.

He invented the bata dance. Very muscular, attractive and quick to anger and justice

9jacrib shikena

2 Likes

Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by werrindey1: 7:08pm On May 07, 2016
I will read this in the next 30 min I need to know about my heritage
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Realmcfynest: 7:12pm On May 07, 2016
werrindey1:
I will read this in the next 30 min I need to know about my heritage

Yes please fo.... Many more to come.......
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by werrindey1: 7:20pm On May 07, 2016
Realmcfynest:

Yes please fo.... Many more to come.......

Oh really? Thought that was all. Waiting arms akimbo.
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by MrPresident1: 8:48pm On May 07, 2016
Sango, Olukoso akata yeriyeri
Arabambi oko oya
Ina loju ina lenu
o fi alapa segun ota re!

Sango nikan lole se oko oya successfully grin

Realmcfynest, tell me pls brother, what informs your interest in Sango?
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Realmcfynest: 9:55pm On May 07, 2016
MrPresident1:
Sango, Olukoso akata yeriyeri
Arabambi oko oya
Ina lojo inalenu
o fi alapa segun ota re!

Sango nikan lole se oko oya successfully grin

Realmcfynest, tell me pls brother, what informs your interest in Sango?

Nice one boss.... I am a natural fan of history and accuracy
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by MrPresident1: 10:18pm On May 07, 2016
Realmcfynest:

Nice one boss.... I am a natural fan of history and accuracy

I am too. cheesy.

And I hate the deliberate attempts by some people to muddle up historical facts.

I am doing some personal research on orikis of Oyo people. Does your oriki have any reference to craftmanship?

1 Like

Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Wulfruna(f): 10:22pm On May 07, 2016
This Owu that Oyo was formerly subject to, is it the same Owu as the one that was destroyed in the 19th century, and whose remnant is now part and parcel of Abeokuta? I was reading a book recently and the writers say that it is a different Owu.

Also can someone furnish me with a list of the Olowus that reigned before Owu City was destroyed. It doesn't have to be a complete list.
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Realmcfynest: 10:28pm On May 07, 2016
MrPresident1:

I am too. cheesy.

And I hate the deliberate attempts by some people to muddle up historical facts.

I am doing some personal research on orikis of Oyo people. Does your oriki have any reference to craftmanship?

... Not related to Craftmanship atall.... But i am from oyo.... Ibadan precisely......

Many people make attempt to distort history so that thier hero can look good.
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by MrPresident1: 10:37pm On May 07, 2016
Realmcfynest:

My oriki is Alagbe..... Not rrlated to Craftmanship atall.... But i am from oyo.... Ibadan precisely......

Many people make attempt to distort history so that thier hero can look good.

I mean familial orikis, the oriki of the family/lineage.

Do you know your family's rendition, does it have to do with cratfmanship?
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Realmcfynest: 10:51pm On May 07, 2016
Wulfruna:
This Owu that Oyo was formerly subject to, is it the same Owu as the one that was destroyed in the 19th century, and whose remnant is now part and parcel of Abeokuta? I was reading a book recently and the writers say that it is a different Owu.

Also can someone furnish me with a list of the Olowus that reigned before Owu City was destroyed. It doesn't have to be a complete list.

That was owu ipole not the present day owu. Oeu ipole was very close to nupe and they were strong warriors.
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Realmcfynest: 10:53pm On May 07, 2016
MrPresident1:

I mean familial orikis, the oriki of the family/lineage.

Do you know your family's rendition, does it have to do with cratfmanship?

Oh yes, i know it well.... Nah! Not related to Craft.
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by MrPresident1: 10:58pm On May 07, 2016
Realmcfynest:

Oh yes, i know it well.... Nah! Not related to Craft.

Lol. OK Bro. Thanks!
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Nobody: 1:08am On May 08, 2016
Wulfruna:

I do not think Owu at anytime had Oyo subjected to it, Owu was only known as a very powerful town, the strongest militarily at a point.

It was an intra-Owu strife that led to the migration down south towards Owu Orile (Owu Ipole) next to Apomu, a market town which was controlled/owned by Ife. (Ife land starts from Asejire to as far as Ifetedo).

Owu, being a military power still after the migration down south still controlled the market and disobeyed the Ooni numerous times till the war broke out.

To your questions:

The Owu Oyo was 'subjected' to dispersed;

Its offshoot was the Owu that was destroyed in the 19th C.;

The Owu in Abeokuta is an offshoot of the Owu that was destroyed in the 19th C.

Realmcfynest:

That was owu ipole not the present day owu. Oeu ipole was very close to nupe and they were strong warriors.

Which of the present day Owus?

Also, Owu Ipole (now called Orile Owu) is the one at Ikire not the one around Oyo.

I co-wrote a research paper on Owu (I can post a snap shot incase you want to attack me with tirades again).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Nobody: 1:09am On May 08, 2016
Realmcfynest:
I am not sure, but it eas said that sango eas impotent because he allowed oua to touch his hair and even plait it.

Sango was a genius, he mastered the art of generating electricity using copper or brass as seen with his staff popularly called ose.

He invented the bata dance. Very muscular, attractive and quick to anger and justice

9jacrib shikena

Why did you mention my handle, Oga?
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Realmcfynest: 5:00am On May 09, 2016
9jacrip:

Why did you mention my handle, Oga?

I asked a question so was thinking you could give some clarification to it.
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Nobody: 4:13pm On May 09, 2016
Realmcfynest:

I asked a question so was thinking you could give some clarification to it.

Ok sir/ma
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by JBismarck(m): 3:27pm On May 27, 2016
@ 9jacrip I'm a budding historian of Owu extraction, it will gladden my heart if you could grant me access to the research papers you mentioned.

My email is jibolatoye78@gmail.com thanks sir.
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 27, 2016
JBismarck:
@ 9jacrip I'm a budding historian of Owu extraction, it will gladden my heart if you could grant me access to the research papers you mentioned.

My email is jibolatoye78@gmail.com thanks sir.

This is great, first time meeting a historian on NL.

Actually, I have the paper copy. It is an unpublished work.

2 Likes

Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by JBismarck(m): 9:18am On May 28, 2016
9jacrip:

This is great, first time meeting a historian on NL.

Actually, I have the paper copy. It is an unpublished work.

Yeah! I can see I have a lot to learn from you sir especially in the area of Yoruba history.
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Nobody: 11:06am On May 28, 2016
JBismarck:

Yeah! I can see I have a lot to learn from you sir especially in the area of Yoruba history.

Me self still dey learn o!

I'm sure there's a lot to learn from you as well sir. Would be nice to exchange knowledge as time goes by.

What school?
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by dayjeee(m): 12:33pm On May 28, 2016
A Historian here also, would love to see ur research work on Owu...Am writing a project work on OWu Kuta...
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by JBismarck(m): 6:38pm On May 29, 2016
9jacrip:

Me self still dey learn o!

I'm sure there's a lot to learn from you as well sir. Would be nice to exchange knowledge as time goes by.

What school?

I'm humbled sir. Lagos State University. You?
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 29, 2016
JBismarck:

I'm humbled sir. Lagos State University. You?

Osun State University

UI (M.A) & (PhD - in the works)

I'm not a sir O, just a regular young guy in his 20s.

Your post history shows M.A history in U.I; have you started?
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by JBismarck(m): 1:12pm On May 30, 2016
9jacrip:

Osun State University

MA UI in mind. I've applied and bought the form, patiently, eagerly waiting for the tests and interview. Inbox me your no via jibolatoye@yahoo.com I have a lot to ask you pertaining UI and the course.
Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by JBismarck(m): 1:15pm On May 30, 2016
9jacrip:

Osun State University

Not yet but I've registered for M.A History in UI. Could you please inbox me your WhatsApp no via jibolatoye@yahoo.com as I have a lot to learn from you.

1 Like

Re: History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) by paulsado(m): 6:54pm On May 30, 2016
nice one.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" / Deji Of Akure Dies At 63 / Some Hilarious Igbo Proverbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.