Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,596 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

How To Care For Dreadlocks - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Care For Dreadlocks (21682 Views)

Bald Head Man Rocking Dreadlocks Shows Off Swag (photos) / Natural Hot Dreadlocks Look (brother Locks And Sister Lock) / Help Recommend A Gel For Dreadlocks Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 7:36am On May 08, 2016
1. RESIDUE FREE SOAPS/SHAMPOOS...

2. PALM ROLL YOUR DREADS
This is actually how you make your dreads too – of course, using a bit of wax is suggested when you are first starting out.

3. BLOW DRY YOUR LOCKS
When you get your dreads wet, the smell can be horrible if you don't let them air dry or blow dry them.

4. NEVER APPLY WAX TO WET HAIR
Apply your wax and palm roll your dreads while the hair is super, super dry!

5. WEAR A BAND AROUND YOUR HEAD FOR SLEEPING
Well, because you don't want to get wax all over your pillow and ruin it!

6. PEPPERMINT FOR ITCHING
I'm not going to lie, dreadlocks can itch a #little bit when they start to get tighter and tighter.
There are a ton of creams and sprays out there for the itching, but just a few drops of peppermint essential oil can really help calm the itching down!

7. DON'T START DREADS WITH FOOD PRODUCTS

Finally, another huge rumor about dreadlocks is that you can start dreadlocks with anything in your kitchen – from mustard all the way to mayo.
Don't do that, instead, start your dreadlocks with products that are specifically for dreadlocks.

http://hair.allwomenstalk.com/tips-for-caring-for-dreadlocks

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by playtheblues(f): 8:01am On May 08, 2016
Can we see your dreadlock?

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 8:08am On May 08, 2016
playtheblues:
Can we see your dreadlock?

Am just starting out.

Mine are baby dreads. I'll show them off when they are longer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by playtheblues(f): 10:38am On May 08, 2016
Ok.

Muafrika2:

Am just starting out.

Mine are baby dreads. I'll show them off when they are longer

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 26, 2016
The waxing... do it yourself. ..

The dreads are made by applying wax specially made for the job.

Process:

1. Part the hair(dry hair) neatly considering the hairstyles you will want to hold the dreads in. And the size / width of dreadlocks you want. Hold the portion that you intend to twist,

2. Start at the bottom. Scoop a the wax with your index finger and apply it to the base of the hair and twist it with one hand as the other hold the parts that are already twisted. Move towards the tip of the strand as you twist. Apply just enough wax to keep the twisted parts from fraying.

[center]Or[/center]

Use a jolly comb. One you apply wax on that strand of hair, insert a thinly spaced jolly comb at the base, as if to comb it. Lift it about two centimetres up and twist it untill it's tight, keep moving it upwards and repeating the same process to the tip. Twist the tip with your fingers.

3. Repeat 1 & 2 until the whole head is done.

4. Drying. The drying can be done with a blow dry or with a dryer. It is well dried when the dreads feel firm. When not properly dried, the wax will turn white and flaky all over the head. For new dreads, hold the locks in place with a netted cap or lines or hold the dreads with your hands as you blow dry them to ensure all parts of the hair are dried.

5. Washing. Washing will fray new locks. To avoid it, plait them before you wash and dry them before unplaiting. The hair gets harder over time and remains locked that way. It also helps not to start from scratch after every time you wash your hair.

Photos:
The wax

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 15, 2016
I thought men were good salonists. I have undone my locks twice, first to go to another salon ( I went to barber shop the second time). The barber tried. But he still did not get the right size. So I took matters into my own hands, found wax & by trial and error...

Making progress... cheesy

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 12, 2016
@Hbuyosh

Share your dreadlock maintenance secrets here.

Meanwhile...

2 Likes

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Hbuyosh(m): 10:59am On Oct 13, 2016
Muafrika2:
@Hbuyosh

Share your dreadlock maintenance secrets here.

Meanwhile...
Hey, how did u know that.......oh, okay, it must have been from my profile pic grin

I started off by rubbing my wet hair in the bathroom with my towel, (after a hot bath) clockwise for about a month. Then subsequently I was just doing it with my palms.
Twice a week I wash my locks with residue-free shampoo.
I use beeswax, not regularly though. I dont find it really necessary since my hair is naturally thick and coarse, they lock rather easily. I think wax are suited more for those with light/kink hair.

2 Likes

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 13, 2016
Hbuyosh:
Hey, how did u know that.......oh, okay, it must have been from my profile pic grin

I started off by rubbing my wet hair in the bathroom with my towel, (after a hot bath) clockwise for about a month. Then subsequently I was just doing it with my palms.
Twice a week I wash my locks with residue-free shampoo.
I use beeswax, not regularly though. I dont find it really necessary since my hair is naturally thick and coarse, they lock rather easily. I think wax are suited more for those with light/kink hair.

That's right smiley smiley

I've learnt something. I'll start the rubbing thing. Wax can be messy at times and I've noticed it works better on the hair that has already began to lock.

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by K9blunt(f): 9:57pm On Oct 13, 2016
I suggest, when your baby dreds gets longer (from 12 months and above) stop using wax or Butters on your hair...... I used them for like 4years and I got serious buildup.

The best ways to moisturize locks are oils and to relock is using natural aloe Vera gels (I meant if you're into natural products)

Now my hair is healthier and fuller. grin

You're welcome, what are fellow lockers for wink

2 Likes

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 13, 2016
K9blunt:
I suggest, when your baby dreds gets longer (from 12 months and above) stop using wax or Butters on your hair...... I used them for like 4years and I got serious buildup.

The best ways to moisturize locks are oils a d to relocate is using natural aloe Vera gels (I meant if you're into natural products)

cheesy grin

Thanks. I just palm rolled my hair without wax and the method is quite effective. The locks have gotten firm (though It feels like the hair has gotten shorter). I'm into natural products too.

Am looking forward to more tips wink

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by CAPSLOCKED: 10:56pm On Oct 13, 2016
K9blunt:

The best ways to moisturize locks are oils a d to relocate is using natural aloe Vera gels (I meant if you're into natural products)

REMEMBER THE DAY YOU TALKED ABOUT YO DOG?

I CAME IN THA THREAD LOOKING IF YOUR DOG ALSO HAD DREADS ON..

YOU ALWAYS ABOUT YO DREAD LOCKS SO I WAS THINKING YOU'LL DO SOMETHING STUPID TO THE DOG... LIKE WEARING A WIG OVER HER HEAD OR STUFF LIKE THAT. tongue

2 Likes

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by K9blunt(f): 1:06am On Oct 14, 2016
CAPSLOCKED:

REMEMBER THE DAY YOU TALKED ABOUT YO DOG?

I CAME IN THA THREAD LOOKING IF YOUR DOG ALSO HAD DREADS ON..

YOU ALWAYS ABOUT YO DREAD LOCKS SO I WAS THINKING YOU'LL DO SOMETHING STUPID TO THE DOG... LIKE WEARING A WIG OVER HER HEAD OR STUFF LIKE THAT. tongue

Haba! I am a live and let live person, why would I change the natural makeup of my baby?

You no try man, gerarahere mehnu!
Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by K9blunt(f): 1:08am On Oct 14, 2016
Muafrika2:

cheesy grin

Thanks. I just palm rolled my hair without wax and the method is quite effective. The locks have gotten firm (though It feels like the hair has gotten shorter). I'm into natural products too.

Am looking forward to more tips wink

Check my profile posts.... You may find a few points there and please ignore the initial one that included Emily millionaire and others..

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 22, 2016
Braided locks

Kinky braids cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 3:55am On Nov 29, 2016
Palm rolling without use of products has been working for the back of my head where my hair is thinner. The front and top of my head is getting hard to lock. undecided

I may have to go back to the salon for locking. I've got about an inch of hair that refuses to lock angry

Edit:
The best way to get it locking is when hair is dump. After washing (two or more rounds of soap or shampoo to get it less slippery when you palm roll). Remember to use one way movements, whether clockwise , as below or anti clockwise.

1. Photo: without wax, palm rolled while hair was dump after washing

2. Photo: palm rolled after application of wax at the lower, unlocked parts

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by justclinton(m): 9:33pm On Jan 02, 2017
If u are in Abuja, U Can ask me more about dreadlocks 08054395751. or visit my page @DreadQuartersAbuja on facebook.
Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by justclinton(m): 9:48pm On Jan 02, 2017
The truth is dat d best way 2 enjoy ur locs are by natural methods. you do nt need so much products, just Bees wax Shud do, i recommend Dax Bees Wax to be used like a haircream and nt on a daily basis. first get ur hair wet, use a hand-dryer to dry d hair while palmrolling the whole hair in a clock-wise movement at least 4 10mins. As Soon as u feel d hair dry, use Spritz Gel on d hair and go on wt d palmrolling 4 3mins wit d handryer. u can nw use d bees wax on d hair n continue palmrolling wt dryer to melt d wax and avoid residues on d locs. think about d future of ur locs and nt its present beauty. no dreadlock is perfect in its 1st year. it requires patience n endurance, starting frm day 1. Remember Dakore Egbusun, Do U Knw Long She Carried Her Locs? Patience...thats all.

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 3:36am On Jan 03, 2017
justclinton:
The truth is dat d best way 2 enjoy ur locs are by natural methods. you do nt need so much products, just Bees wax Shud do, i recommend Dax Bees Wax to be used like a haircream and nt on a daily basis. first get ur hair wet, use a hand-dryer to dry d hair while palmrolling the whole hair in a clock-wise movement at least 4 10mins. As Soon as u feel d hair dry, use Spritz Gel on d hair and go on wt d palmrolling 4 3mins wit d handryer. u can nw use d bees wax on d hair n continue palmrolling wt dryer to melt d wax and avoid residues on d locs. think about d future of ur locs and nt its present beauty. no dreadlock is perfect in its 1st year. it requires patience n endurance, starting frm day 1. Remember Dakore Egbusun, Do U Knw Long She Carried Her Locs? Patience...thats all.
Thanks.

Waxing always leaves white particles on my hair after a few days. Why so? I always blow dry and apply it on dry hair.
Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by justclinton(m): 9:28am On Jan 03, 2017
You Perhaps havent been using d right product. Avoid 'Twist N Loc' (white container wt purple cover), avoid 'Lets dred' (short white container wit red cover). Go for Dax Bees Wax(black Or yellow). Always Use dryer and always palmroll clockwise.

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 03, 2017
justclinton:
You Perhaps havent been using d right product. Avoid 'Twist N Loc' (white container wt purple cover), avoid 'Lets dred' (short white container wit red cover). Go for Dax Bees Wax(black Or yellow). Always Use dryer and always palmroll clockwise.
Thanks smiley
Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 09, 2017
Am pretty satisfied with my locks progress - after eliminating wax.

Some of the lessons learnt so far: cool

1 - Wax is way overrated. No need for products at all. You just need water to lock hair.

2 - for short hair (like mine) use a dump face towel over your palm as you roll your wet/dump hair.

3 - while rolling, make circular movements in one direction only, whenever you wash.

I can now shake my dreadlocks and feel them hit my ears cheesy cheesy

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 04, 2017
Back to the salon... and wax sad sad

This is what I learnt from my recent Salon experience;

Crotcheting shocked

I always wondered how some locks looked so neat and tight at the Base. I experienced crocheting, which is done with the crotchet used in knitting machines, used to thread sweaters.

So, the crotchet is inserted at the Base, right at the scalp after rolling it tight at the scalp. The hook is used to hook the same lock at the end then it's pulled through kind of to invert the lock. The process is repeated by inverting the lock again, but this time, across the first way.

The crotchet/needle - one of those

The locks cool cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by chiraqDemon(m): 9:27am On Jul 22, 2017
Muafrika2:
Back to the salon... and wax sad sad

This is what I learnt from my recent Salon experience;

Crotcheting shocked

I always wondered how some locks looked so neat and tight at the Base. I experienced crocheting, which is done with the crotchet used in knitting machines, used to thread sweaters.

So, the crotchet is inserted at the Base, right at the scalp after rolling it tight at the scalp. The hook is used to hook the same lock at the end then it's pulled through kind of to invert the lock. The process is repeated by inverting the lock again, but this time, across the first way.

The crotchet/needle - one of those

The locks cool cool
Isnt it uncomfortable?? It looks really tight and i read that having it soo tight could lead to baldness, rrad on multiple sites so there should be an element of truth.

Btw im just starting out, after much research on YouTube i decided to go for either rubbing with foam/sponge or towel. The front hairs are taking shape (though not yet close to locking cos its only been almost two weeks) but the back side is giving me a lot of trouble cos i sleep on it and its shorter than the front (not too short to lock tho), the hairs keep untwisting.
Also dont use any products, just water.

Any tips will be appreciated especially about how to sleep and how to help the back hairs stay twisted. Not really a fan of wax cos i read it could cause buildup if not used properly n i dont want to take the risk.
Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 22, 2017
Muafrika2:

7. DON'T START DREADS WITH FOOD PRODUCTS

Finally, another huge rumor about dreadlocks is that you can start dreadlocks with anything in your kitchen – from mustard all the way to mayo.
Don't do that, instead, start your dreadlocks with products that are specifically for dreadlocks.

http://hair.allwomenstalk.com/tips-for-caring-for-dreadlocks

Hehehehe and toothpaste grin

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 22, 2017
chiraqDemon:

Isnt it uncomfortable?? It looks really tight and i read that having it soo tight could lead to baldness, rrad on multiple sites so there should be an element of truth.

Btw im just starting out, after much research on YouTube i decided to go for either rubbing with foam/sponge or towel. The front hairs are taking shape (though not yet close to locking cos its only been almost two weeks) but the back side is giving me a lot of trouble cos i sleep on it and its shorter than the front (not too short to lock tho), the hairs keep untwisting.
Also dont use any products, just water.

Any tips will be appreciated especially about how to sleep and how to help the back hairs stay twisted. Not really a fan of wax cos i read it could cause buildup if not used properly n i dont want to take the risk.

I regret letting leaving them that tight(he pulled them too much while styling) because my roots got uprooted undecided I've learnt my lesson. No tight styling again. It was not comfortable,

You seem to be fairing well.

I've been working with water before and our hair has similar problems. Ive got different hair types at various parts of my head and some lock fast while others don't. Other parts grow faster too grin Its the reason why I occasionally wax to help the difficult parts.

But I've also learnt that the longer time you spend palm rolling the better. Roll only one way and while the hair is wet.

Covering your hair with a fitting cap when you sleep helps to keep them too. Get one made from sheer material so your head can breath.
Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

Hehehehe and toothpaste grin
Hadn't heard of that one, grin grin
Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 13, 2017
My locks are making me alot of friends
They call me Ras grin

One friendly stranger told me this today. You should always have an answer to these two questions as a locker ...

1. How old are they?

2. How many are they? The locks. I'll be counting mine
grin

I stopped palm rolling. It wasn't twisting them. I spent minutes rolling and not much to show undecided . May be I wasn't doing it the right way.

I twist individual locks one by one and hold them together. No wax. It works for me. Best result if done when hair is wet, then left to dry while twisted.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Nobody: 5:25am On Dec 27, 2017
Imagine this ...

Someone trademarking a dreadlocks style - and getting away with it ... colonialism of even our hair angry

Traditional locs are most commonly created through palm rolling (or matting) medium to large amounts of hair, using a balm or wax.

Sisterlocs are installed using a special tool and much smaller portions of your hair.

Sisterlocks are a trademarked style
and only trained certified associates can give you official Sisterlocs (find one here.) Your first treatment can take anywhere from 24 hours or more.

Read more at EBONY http://www.ebony.com/style/natural-hair-now-the-difference-between-sisterlocks-and-traditional-locs-942#ixzz52QqnEYzE
Follow us: @EbonyMag on Twitter | EbonyMag on Facebook

Is that Crotcheting?
Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Geoforever(f): 12:58pm On Dec 27, 2017
Am a certified trained locitian,I deal with both sisters lock and brother locks,maintenance of natural dreadlocks by a certified locitian is the key.Products build up is majorly caused by other factors from the clients/premature trained locitian.Everyone need to understand his or her hair texture and know how to manage it,there are procedures to follow in getting the best out of natural locks,from installation(starting) to retightening(relocking).The growth of natural dreadlocks depend on the nature of each clients hair and the professional touch isn't left out.Sister's lock installation takes 24hours to 48hours to achieve.For more inquiry,you can call us on 08035151554 or what 'Sapp us on 08087306328.We guarantee you of a good and satisfying services at all time. Please note that the reflection of what is inside is what reflect outside,thereof good diet speaks volume too.Lets keep the calls coming in.....

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Geoforever(f): 1:00pm On Dec 27, 2017
Still our handwork

Re: How To Care For Dreadlocks by Geoforever(f): 1:01pm On Dec 27, 2017
Retightening of brother locks.Still our signature

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mr. Gay World 2012 Andreas Derleth Crowned In South Africa / MAKE yourself a SHOE this 2019!!! / 23-year-old Miracle Emerges One Of The Winners Of 2022 Face Of Nigeria Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.