Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,429 members, 7,822,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

The Xiaomi Thread. - Phones (6330) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Xiaomi Thread. (9248443 Views)

My Thoughts On The Xiaomi Redmi 5plus After 3 Weeks Use / Disadvantages Of The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x / I've Got The Xiaomi 20000mah Powerbank. Any Question? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6327) (6328) (6329) (6330) (6331) (6332) (6333) ... (9319) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Vision62: 1:25pm On Nov 22, 2019
bolakale30:
REDMI NOTE 8 REVIEW...

So, I made the decision to switch from my battle-worn, tired, trusted Redmi Note 4x for the Redmi Note 8. I was one of the early adopters, so, I got the Chinese Version 4gb/64gb, hence, no MTN 4G for me… You all are familiar with the specs so I am not going to bore you with that nor the specifics of the design.

DISPLAY
The phone spots a 6.43 FHD+ display, personally, I have a thing against displays that are lower that FHD, it’s why the Mi A3 despite the promise of AMOLED, (which I love so much) and a theoretically better camera was never an option. This was my first phone with an 18:9 aspect ratio, so the longer and narrower display was a bit awkward at the beginning but I am now at home with it. The colours are vivid, true to life and I have no problem using my phone under direct sunlight. I am not a gamer but I downloaded a couple of games just to test the performance level of the phone (more on that later), and the colour reproduction was wonderful. Some users have complained about screen bleeding on their own units but I don’t have such problems
DISPALAY 9/10.

CONNECTIVITY
The phone comes with all the usual Redmi bells and whistles that are trademarks of the Redmi brand. Bluetooth, IR, WIFI, etc. And they all work as expected. Sadly, I got the Chinese version, so there is no MTN 4G for me. All other Major networks work really fine…
9/10

CAMERA AND VIDEO
One of the selling points of the Redmi Note 8 is its camera, the quad setup is novel, first of its kind among the Redmi line-up. The main camera is a 48MP (wide) an 8MP (ultra-wide) 2MP (depth sensor) and 2MP (macro). The 48MP shoots excellent photos in daylight, I am not really impressed with the night shots nor portrait mode probably because I expected more. Gen gen gen… enter GCAM and everything changes. The HDR enhanced portrait mode is maaaaaad… The night-mode is one of the best I have seen on a budget smartphone. The GCAM mod available for the Note 8 is incredible. The video is actually nice. The EIS prevents shaky videos. The slow-mo is a meh affair but it’s serviceable.
7/10

PERFORMANCE
The phone is equipped with a Snapdragon 665; the performance is similar to that of Snapdragon 660. It’s snappy. It has dealt admirably well with everything I have thrown at it. I am not a gamer, but I downloaded Call of Duty and PUBG on it, and it ran both flawlessly. My Redmi Note 4 was the 3gb and 32gb variant, and I observed that apps refresh in the background when I multitask, but I have not experienced any of such problem with the Redmi Note 8
8/10

SOFTWARE
Like I said, I got the Chinese version, it was not that bad, but the intrusive Chinese language was annoying, especially in the browser and music apps. But the battery performance was better. I applied and successfully unlocked my bootloader after seven days. I flashed the global rom, and I had a better performance. During the first setup, I disabled show recommendation so, I don’t get the annoying ads that have characterized MIUI. The MIUI is highly customisable, within the space of three weeks, I have used a pixel, iPhone, and Samsung OneUI themes; the dark mode works very well. However, I observed that the battery performance was significantly better on the Chinese ROM. Don’t get me wrong, I am getting 10hrs+ on the Global rom, but I was getting more than 12 hours while the phone was running the Chinese ROM
7/10

SOUND
Sound is generally okay, nothing flamboyant and nothing to complain about.
7/10

BIOMETRICS
The fingerprint and face unlock work well
8/10

BATTERY
The Redmi Note 8 is equipped with a 4000 MAH battery. The performance is very similar to that of my old Redmi Note 4x. It lasts a full day on heavy usage. I don’t use the Battery Saver mode, yet I change my phone just once in the morning, and I am good for the rest of the day.
8.5/10

PROS
Excellent performance and battery life
Highly customisable and feature-laden
Class-leading Camera (With GCAM)
Fantastic Display
Incredible value for money

CONS
Limited 4G bands (On Chinese model)
Average performance by the stock camera (I suspect the ROM has not been finetuned to optimise the Quad-Bayer sensor) I hope an update will fix that.
Slow-mo is meh at best
The Chinese ROM has better battery performance than the Global ROM

Update: apparently, an EU ROM was released for Note 8 and 8 PRO yesterday…

N.B: Forgive all infelicities; I am an amateur. However, you can ask me any question about the phone, I have had it for about 4 weeks

Thanks alot for this!
We need more reviews like this not talk-talk

2 Likes

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by salvo583: 1:34pm On Nov 22, 2019
I'm on miui 11 since Nov 1st on RN7, I just got another miui update again

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 1:40pm On Nov 22, 2019
salvo583:
I'm on miui 11 since Nov 1st on RN7, I just got another miui update again

Ok o enjoy
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 1:41pm On Nov 22, 2019
Vision62:

Thanks alot for this!

I hope when you buy yours, you'll give reviews wink
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 1:42pm On Nov 22, 2019
bolakale30:
REDMI NOTE 8 REVIEW...

So, I made the decision to switch from my battle-worn, tired, trusted Redmi Note 4x for the Redmi Note 8. I was one of the early adopters, so, I got the Chinese Version 4gb/64gb, hence, no MTN 4G for me… You all are familiar with the specs so I am not going to bore you with that nor the specifics of the design.

DISPLAY
The phone spots a 6.43 FHD+ display, personally, I have a thing against displays that are lower that FHD, it’s why the Mi A3 despite the promise of AMOLED, (which I love so much) and a theoretically better camera was never an option. This was my first phone with an 18:9 aspect ratio, so the longer and narrower display was a bit awkward at the beginning but I am now at home with it. The colours are vivid, true to life and I have no problem using my phone under direct sunlight. I am not a gamer but I downloaded a couple of games just to test the performance level of the phone (more on that later), and the colour reproduction was wonderful. Some users have complained about screen bleeding on their own units but I don’t have such problems
DISPALAY 9/10.

CONNECTIVITY
The phone comes with all the usual Redmi bells and whistles that are trademarks of the Redmi brand. Bluetooth, IR, WIFI, etc. And they all work as expected. Sadly, I got the Chinese version, so there is no MTN 4G for me. All other Major networks work really fine…
9/10

CAMERA AND VIDEO
One of the selling points of the Redmi Note 8 is its camera, the quad setup is novel, first of its kind among the Redmi line-up. The main camera is a 48MP (wide) an 8MP (ultra-wide) 2MP (depth sensor) and 2MP (macro). The 48MP shoots excellent photos in daylight, I am not really impressed with the night shots nor portrait mode probably because I expected more. Gen gen gen… enter GCAM and everything changes. The HDR enhanced portrait mode is maaaaaad… The night-mode is one of the best I have seen on a budget smartphone. The GCAM mod available for the Note 8 is incredible. The video is actually nice. The EIS prevents shaky videos. The slow-mo is a meh affair but it’s serviceable.
7/10

PERFORMANCE
The phone is equipped with a Snapdragon 665; the performance is similar to that of Snapdragon 660, but the GPU of the Note 7 is a tad superior to the 665's Adreno 612. It’s snappy. It has dealt admirably well with everything I have thrown at it. I am not a gamer, but I downloaded Call of Duty and PUBG on it, and it ran both flawlessly. My Redmi Note 4 was the 3gb and 32gb variant, and I observed that apps refreshed in the background when I was multitasking, but I have not experienced any of such problems with the Redmi Note 8
8/10

SOFTWARE
Like I said, I got the Chinese version, it was not that bad, but the intrusive Chinese language was annoying, especially in the browser and music apps. But the battery performance was better. I applied and successfully unlocked my bootloader after seven days. I flashed the global rom, and I had a better performance. During the first setup, I disabled show recommendation so, I don’t get the annoying ads that have characterized MIUI. The MIUI is highly customisable, within the space of three weeks, I have used a pixel, iPhone, and Samsung OneUI themes; the dark mode works very well. However, I observed that the battery performance was significantly better on the Chinese ROM. Don’t get me wrong, I am getting 10hrs+ on the Global rom, but I was getting more than 12 hours while the phone was running the Chinese ROM
7/10

SOUND
7/10

BIOMETRICS
8/10

BATTERY
The Redmi Note 8 is equipped with a 4000 MAH battery. The performance is very similar to that of my old Redmi Note 4x. It lasts a full day on heavy usage. I don’t use the Battery Saver mode, yet I change my phone just once in the morning, and I am good for the rest of the day.
8.5/10

PROS
Fantastic Display

CONS
Average performance by the stock camera (I suspect the ROM has not been finetuned to optimise the Quad-Bayer sensor) I hope an update will fix that.
Slow-mo is meh at best

N.B: Forgive all infelicities; I am an amateur. However, you can ask me any question about the phone, I have had it for about 4 weeks

I salute you sir
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 1:42pm On Nov 22, 2019
Tiger2020:
OK but that standby stuff specifically the radio app

That's why you need to change network
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 22, 2019
kallmemrB:
Xiaomi Did one thing perfectly right and that's Redmi 8 battery.. Been on 4G for over 1hrs non stop.. It still retains its 100%

I have also experience this....R8 rocks.

all that will change when you update Miui
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Tiger2020(m): 1:51pm On Nov 22, 2019
genius43:

It is not that, probably your phone is adjusting. I used my phone up to 28% today had over 8 hours SOT.

I think for some phones, apps auto starting is a major culprit to battery drain.

So search Auto start and stop apps you don't want for them to auto start.

When I updated, I forced restart severally. Then used my battery extensively. Switched off and charged, then everything normalised. But the auto start I noticed it yesterday and handled it.
I don't think its miui 11 thing ,it was their before update

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by bolakale30(m): 1:55pm On Nov 22, 2019
Vision62:

Thanks alot for this!
You are welcome Sir
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by maclawrence02(m): 2:00pm On Nov 22, 2019
stephinnoyewole:
I've seen 10hrs+ SOT online
Dnt knw wats wrong wit mine

If only I've gotten it from a reputable store, I'd have returned it
While waiting for solution, come to telegram let me give you fk kernel manager and naptime deep dose. Your sot will improve.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 2:05pm On Nov 22, 2019
Tiger2020:
I don't think its miui 11 thing ,it was their before update

Let me see your network graph like the one below

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by NCANCHAIR(m): 2:18pm On Nov 22, 2019
My note 8 battery isn't very efficient. I expected better performance but it's not very bad anyways.
Please can you help send the link to download the Gcam for the note 8. I wanna enjoy the camera with the Gcam just like you. Please don't forget.
Thanks a bunch
GrandMufti:

I salute you sir
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 2:21pm On Nov 22, 2019
NCANCHAIR:
My note 8 battery isn't very efficient. I expected better performance but it's not very bad anyways.
Please can you help send the link to download the Gcam for the note 8. I wanna enjoy the camera with the Gcam just like you. Please don't forget.
Thanks a bunch

Screenshot of your app battery usage
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Tiger2020(m): 2:23pm On Nov 22, 2019
genius43:

Let me see your network graph like the one below

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by NCANCHAIR(m): 2:23pm On Nov 22, 2019
Please how do I do that. Abeg your prompt response would be highly appreciated. Thanks
blackiridis:
those complaining of battery life on Note 8 have you turned off WIFI & Bluetooth scanning?
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by NCANCHAIR(m): 2:25pm On Nov 22, 2019
My note 8 battery isn't very efficient. I expected better battery performance but it's not very bad anyways.
Thanks a bunchquote author=bolakale30 post=84264297]REDMI NOTE 8 REVIEW...

DISPLAY
DISPALAY 9/10.

CONNECTIVITY
9/10

CAMERA AND VIDEO
7/10

PERFORMANCE
The phone is equipped with a Snapdragon 665; the performance is similar to that of Snapdragon 660, but the GPU of the Note 7 is a tad superior to the 665's Adreno 612. It’s snappy. It has dealt admirably well with everything I have thrown at it. I am not a gamer, but I downloaded Call of Duty and PUBG on it, and it ran both flawlessly. My Redmi Note 4 was the 3gb and 32gb variant, and I observed that apps refreshed in the background when I was multitasking, but I have not experienced any of such problems with the Redmi Note 8
8/10

SOFTWARE
7/10

SOUND
7/10

BIOMETRICS
8/10

BATTERY
8.5/10

PROS
Fantastic Display

CONS
Slow-mo is meh at best

N.B: Forgive all infelicities; I am an amateur. However, you can ask me any question about the phone, I have had it for about 4 weeks [/quote]

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by busuyi44: 2:30pm On Nov 22, 2019
How long does it likely take to get a Samsung Galaxy S7 battery from AliExpress to be shipped by Seller's shipping method of $6?
Gptech
organism3 how soon did u get d battery for ur Max 1?
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by bolakale30(m): 2:30pm On Nov 22, 2019
NCANCHAIR:
My note 8 battery isn't very efficient. I expected better battery performance but it's not very bad anyways.
Thanks a bunchquote author=bolakale30 post=84264297]REDMI NOTE 8 REVIEW...

DISPLAY
DISPALAY 9/10.

CONNECTIVITY
9/10

CAMERA AND VIDEO
7/10

PERFORMANCE
8/10

SOFTWARE
7/10

SOUND
7/10

BIOMETRICS
8/10

BATTERY
8.5/10

PROS
Fantastic Display

CONS
Slow-mo is meh at best

Check Jboixx compilation thread for the link, as per battery, update your phone, disable wifi and bluetooth scanning.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 2:32pm On Nov 22, 2019
[quote author=Tiger2020 post=84266641][/quote]

Disable WIFI and Bluetooth scanning that is what is causing the high cell info and battery drain.

Your network still have comma with that yellow bar
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by NCANCHAIR(m): 2:33pm On Nov 22, 2019
GrandMufti:

Screenshot of your app battery usage

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by NCANCHAIR(m): 2:39pm On Nov 22, 2019
Please how do I disable them, Biko
genius43:

Disable WIFI and Bluetooth scanning that is what is causing the high cell info and battery drain.

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 2:40pm On Nov 22, 2019
NCANCHAIR:

Post your battery chart and SOT as well.

As for GCam consult Jboixxx compilation list

https://www.nairaland.com/5528053/xiaomi-compilation-post#84015340
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 2:41pm On Nov 22, 2019
NCANCHAIR:
Please how do I disable them, Biko

Go to settings and search for Scanning
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Tiger2020(m): 2:47pm On Nov 22, 2019
genius43:

WiFi and Bluetooth scanning has always been disabled,the draining issue is giving me concern,am not a heavy user just social media stuff and browsing

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 2:49pm On Nov 22, 2019
Tiger2020:
WiFi and Bluetooth scanning has always been disabled,the draining issue is giving me concern,am not a heavy user just social media stuff and browsing

Check again because it do activate itself sometimes. Otherwise your WiFi bar from your chart won't be blue
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by NCANCHAIR(m): 2:49pm On Nov 22, 2019
How were you able to stop the auto update? Please share with me cos my battery is disappointed. Thanks bro
genius43:

It is not that, probably your phone is adjusting. I used my phone up to 28% today had over 8 hours SOT.

I think for some phones, apps auto starting is a major culprit to battery drain.

So search Auto start and stop apps you don't want for them to auto start.

When I updated, I forced restart severally. Then used my battery extensively. Switched off and charged, then everything normalised. But the auto start I noticed it yesterday and handled it.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 22, 2019
snezBaba:
For those experiencing bad image quality when sharing pics on whatsapp especially screenshots, i would suggest getting a modded whatsapp ( I prefer YoWhatsapp). They usually have the option of turning off/ adjusting image compression wink

how do I get this YoWhatsapp
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 22, 2019
KngGezy:

I know right, due to the nature of your business its important. But nonetheless bad network and possible lack of data on either the sender and receivers end makes this SOS tricky. Even Google find my phone and locate phone is really not helpful.

The only major Security feature I love is that to put the phone Off you have to know and input the password, iris,fingerprint or pin. At least you have the opportunity of calling and finding the phone. You cant even lower the ringtone whilst locked

how did you active this security feature
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 2:55pm On Nov 22, 2019
NCANCHAIR:
How were you able to stop the auto update? Please share with me cos my battery is disappointed. Thanks bro

I asked for screenshot of battery chart and Screen on Time, I haven't seen. How do I know if your battery usage is okay?

Auto start problem is MIUI 11 not MIUI 10
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by NCANCHAIR(m): 3:03pm On Nov 22, 2019
Jboixxx old I need the link to download Gcam for my Redmi note 8. Please answer, Thanks a bunch
jboixxx:
It will support backward compatibilit. So, yes. That's the norm
cc: Darmostic

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 3:05pm On Nov 22, 2019
NCANCHAIR:
Jboixxx old I need the link to download Gcam for my Redmi note 8. Please answer, Thanks a bunch

Guy I posted a link above and I quoted you, try to read everything that involves mentions so you can stop running around in circles

genius43:

Post your battery chart and SOT as well.

As for GCam consult Jboixxx compilation list below

https://www.nairaland.com/5528053/xiaomi-compilation-post#84015340

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by uctomide(m): 3:08pm On Nov 22, 2019
Good day all... i started using VIA browser yesterday, but I noticed when I reload a tab it doesn't refresh. it retains previous content.
please am I missing something once again

(1) (2) (3) ... (6327) (6328) (6329) (6330) (6331) (6332) (6333) ... (9319) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: SyncForth and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.