Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,592 members, 7,820,132 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

The Xiaomi Thread. - Phones (7619) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Xiaomi Thread. (9229631 Views)

My Thoughts On The Xiaomi Redmi 5plus After 3 Weeks Use / Disadvantages Of The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x / I've Got The Xiaomi 20000mah Powerbank. Any Question? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7616) (7617) (7618) (7619) (7620) (7621) (7622) ... (9318) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by CANDYDADDY(m): 7:35pm On Jul 25, 2020
Now lemme give it to y'all,what you don't know about your phone's reception effect on battery

It is the biggest battery drainer other than Google play services if you're speaking Android.

Just because ur cell tower picture shows 4/5 bars or 5/5 bars doesn't mean ur network is good. U need to know the dbm value of ur signal.

To access that, go to settings, then go to about phone and click on sim settings. U will find dbm there.

50–70 dbm - great signal. Minimal battery drain
70–90 dbm- OK signal, moderate battery drain.

90–120- crap signal, high battery drain.

My cell phone signal bar in main screen shows 5/5 bars signifying full strength but when I look at it's dbm , it's giving me a value of 109.

What does this mean? The phone is forking out way more power to give u stable LTE connection compared to 55 dbm for example so 109 dbm this will drink battery like Yeltsin drinks vodka

now check the repercussions of where am I now

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by georgeben205(m): 7:39pm On Jul 25, 2020
vickyhow:

Price?
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 7:41pm On Jul 25, 2020
Someone will call 7hours of heavy usage poor battery life, while a tech savvy person who used the Nubia Red Magic 3 and the black shark 3 Pro for straight gaming(heavy usage) got just over 5 hours SOT called it impressive. If you don't know the specs and battery of those phones with their cooling level Google it.

If you don't know factors that affect how long a battery should at least ask or Google it.

Even if we are using the same phone we can't get the same SOT.

1. Category of user : Mild, Average, Heavy

2. Network Stability and Number of active SIMs at a time : A person with a single SIM will outperform someone on dual SIM. A person with a stable network will outperform someone who
a. Has a network that uses more antenna power e.g Glo
b. The one whose network is unstable.
c. A person who relies on WiFi for data connection will post a better battery life than one who relies on his phone data connection. If you want to experiment get a MIFI

3. Display Size, Type and Refresh Rate :
a. A bigger display would always consume more battery
b. A display with a higher resolution will consume more battery than smaller i.e 1440P(QHD)>1080P(FHD)>720P(HD)
c. Higher refresh rate comes at a cost. 144Hz>120Hz>90Hz>60Hz

4. Processor, Processor, Processor: With more power comes great responsibility, The processors with heavier power cores are more power hungry than lower ones wether on 7nm, 8nm, 11 or 12nm process. So don't use your SD 439 as a yardstick to judge someone using SD 660 or 665, same way someone using 8nm SD 720G or 730 can't judge a 7nm process SD 855/855+ or SD 865/865+.

Let me give you an example Mi 9T and Mi 9T Pro, same screen size, same refresh rates and same battery size but the Mi 9T with SD 730 on 8nm post a better battery stats than the Mi 9T Pro sporting a 7nm SD 855.

5. Environmental Factors/External Factors : I noticed people don't factor in weather and Temperature when judging the performance of a battery.

Let me give a scenario mid February this year, on one Saturday, the weather was so hot, that my phone was heating up on its on despite my good network that I lost 5% in 2hrs without touching my phone.

In another case the weather was so hot and my internals heated up that my phone had to trickle charge at 190mA not to damage my device, I had to unplug and power down and wait for lower temperature and charged while turned off. I didn't panic because I understood what was happening.

6. Software bugs: Even when you are having good conditions sometimes software bugs ranging from apps to OS might cause battery shortfalls. The other day I got a complain of phone heating and battery drain from the charts I noticed the phone was awake even when the display was turned off and guess the culprit an App called Truecaller. My personal experience was with a patched Mx player Pro.

7. Unstable Power Source : Today we had low voltage and after charging my device the draining was different than under the same usage and conditions as when charging with a higher voltage source.

FYI: The biggest Hoax today is the person saying CN VERSION with Global ROM have better battery life than Global Version is a big fat lie. I use a Global ROM.

I hope this helps. I am tired of typing, just returning from NL Kuje Prison and not ready to go back soon.

56 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by festwiz(m): 7:47pm On Jul 25, 2020
The man above speaks a great truth.

3 Likes

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 25, 2020
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Olamyyde(m): 7:48pm On Jul 25, 2020
festwiz:

So how's a device getting 10hours SoT a "complete failure in the battery life aspect" like you put it?
I wonder what the guy will say of the battery performance of the iPhone X series.

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by olayinkajnr(m): 7:57pm On Jul 25, 2020
Elder0001:

Phones like redmi 7, 7a, redmi 8,8a,redmi note 4 and redmi note 9s last upto 11/12 hours(sot) with heavy usage.

Lies bro. Mind you, I use Redmi 7. What's even your definition of heavy usage?

You think it's by browsing or by chatting for 10hrs non stop?

It's even apparent that you don't know that screen resolution, manufacturing process and even network affect battery backup.

Them don correct you tire and you still dey adamant to learn.

7-8hrs of SOT under heavy usage. I mean heavy usage is very impressive.

Note 9s have a very efficient SOC and better manufacturing process, so the high SOT is expected. Even R8 has a better manufacturing process than Redmi Note 7, so it's also expected to have a high SOT.

The things we type on this thread sometimes self.

6 Likes

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 7:59pm On Jul 25, 2020
olayinkajnr:

Or playing PUBG at 20FPS for 2hrs.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 7:59pm On Jul 25, 2020
@jboixxx abeg help us pin @CANDYDADDY and @genius43 posts to compilation thread.

2 Likes

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 8:01pm On Jul 25, 2020
olayinkajnr:

I just dey laugh since cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by olayinkajnr(m): 8:01pm On Jul 25, 2020
genius43:

Or playing PUBG at 20FPS for 2hrs.

Lol. This thread ehn.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by happy662(m): 8:02pm On Jul 25, 2020
GrandMufti:

7-8 hrs is pretty solid with a colour rainbow network. wink
my redmi note 9s with color rainbow network is 10 to 11 hours sot
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 8:03pm On Jul 25, 2020
happy662:

What level of usage?
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by olayinkajnr(m): 8:03pm On Jul 25, 2020
GrandMufti:

I just dey laugh since cheesy

Lol. He reach to laugh na. Me wey dey get 5hrs SOT under intense usage sometimes self dey shout say the battery try. Na him another person dey say 7-8hrs too small.

I don ever get 4hrs SOT for my Redmi 7 before by just doing video recording o. That's even used by the camera and screen alone.

2 Likes

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 8:06pm On Jul 25, 2020
olayinkajnr:

Lol. He reach to laugh na. Me wey dey get 5hrs SOT under intense usage sometimes self dey shout say the battery try. Na him another person dey say 7-8hrs too small.

I don ever get 4hrs SOT for my Redmi 7 before by just doing video recording o. That's even used by the camera and screen alone.

Video recording is the oga pata-pata of battery usage. All battery drain test have proven this.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Trex4(m): 8:07pm On Jul 25, 2020
fibonacci2526:

The thing no shock you? I just scrolled to the post after it.
Sorry to ask but can you tell me what the problem was? I actually learnt some things from the post. (The model number stuff and the "most iPhones in Nigeria are refurbished"wink
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by olayinkajnr(m): 8:08pm On Jul 25, 2020
genius43:

Video recording is the oga pata-pata of battery usage. All battery drain test have proven this.

I just weak. Na him somebody go just blatantly call Redmi Note 7 and 8 battery trash because he got 7-8hrs under heavy usage like he called it grin grin grin.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 8:14pm On Jul 25, 2020
olayinkajnr:

I just weak. Na him somebody go just blatantly call Redmi Note 7 and 8 battery trash because he got 7-8hrs under heavy usage like he called it grin grin grin.

Not 7-8, but 10-11 grin
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by olayinkajnr(m): 8:15pm On Jul 25, 2020
Timblac:
I said this before they attacked me....If you wanna enjoy RN8 batterywise,get a Global ROM.....it's battery is surprisingly and amazingly better than what you find on the Global version

Lol. Another trash. Sorry that I used the word trash. It's trash because global version ships with global ROM unless you get it from AliExpress or Jumia global and the seller ships it with Chinese rom.

It's very evident that most of the guys posting here have not done their due diligence towards knowing about what they are about to "argue" on.

So, ask yourself, does the bolded make sense to you?

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 8:15pm On Jul 25, 2020
happy662:

What is SOT?
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 8:20pm On Jul 25, 2020
olayinkajnr:

Lol. Another trash. Sorry that I used the word trash. It's trash because global version ships with global ROM unless you get it from AliExpress or Jumia global and the seller ships it with Chinese rom.

It's very evident that most of the guys posting here have not done their due diligence towards knowing about what they are about to "argue" on.

So, ask yourself, does the bolded make sense to you?

You no go see am again till dem mention note 8 battery
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Mironak(m): 8:25pm On Jul 25, 2020
CANDYDADDY:
Now lemme give it to y'all,what you don't know about your phone's reception effect on battery

It is the biggest battery drainer other than Google play services if you're speaking Android.

Just because ur cell tower picture shows 4/5 bars or 5/5 bars doesn't mean ur network is good. U need to know the dbm value of ur signal.

To access that, go to settings, then go to about phone and click on sim settings. U will find dbm there.

50–70 dbm - great signal. Minimal battery drain
70–90 dbm- OK signal, moderate battery drain.

90–120- crap signal, high battery drain.

My cell phone signal bar in main screen shows 5/5 bars signifying full strength but when I look at it's dbm , it's giving me a value of 109.

What does this mean? The phone is forking out way more power to give u stable LTE connection compared to 55 dbm for example so 109 dbm this will drink battery like Yeltsin drinks vodka

now check the repercussions of where am I now
Nice one bro.. I have -88 dBm and 51 asu here
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by happy662(m): 8:30pm On Jul 25, 2020
GrandMufti:

What is SOT?
screen on time
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by happy662(m): 8:31pm On Jul 25, 2020
genius43:

What level of usage?
from 100 to 10%
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by genius43(m): 8:34pm On Jul 25, 2020
happy662:
from 100 to 10%

I meant mild, average or heavy?
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by GrandMufti: 8:42pm On Jul 25, 2020
happy662:
screen on time

What does it mean?
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by festwiz(m): 8:48pm On Jul 25, 2020
Battery and Processors

I think this will be helpful to those that are coming from devices with weaker processor cores.

The SoC (processor) on your device is usually composed of 4-8 CPUs cores of different architecture for varying purposes. For all intents and purposes I'll consider the Helio P22, SD720G, Helio G90T and SD865.

Most SoCs are composed of BIG cores that are used for heavy tasks and little cores for power saving tasks. When you are doing intensive tasks like Gaming, Video recording, Photo processing etc the BIG cores are used together with the little cores for those tasks, for less power demanding tasks like texting, surfing the web etc, the power saving cores (little) cores are used.

Now let's take the CPU architectures into consideration, a majority of SoCs use ARMs Cortex series architecture or a custom version of it. The cortex A5x (except the A57) cores are meant for light tasks and consume less power than the more powerful and power consuming Cortex A7x, Cortex X-1 cores.

An SoCs fabrication process is also an important factor to consider in terms of battery life as it directly relates to the die size of the CPU (area it occupies on the SoC) and a smaller fabrication process means it uses less power in general for operation

What does this mean essentially?

Let's examine the Helio P22 SoC. It's a 12nm SoC composed of 8 Cortex A53 cores in the BIG.little arrangement, 4x2.0Ghz A53 and 4x1.5GHz A53. However, the BIG cores are clocked at 2.0GHz but still using the A53 architecture. This Higher CPU frequency will help for more heavy tasks but the A53 architecture is not going to make heavy tasks any much easier and the power usage will be hardly be felt.

When you play PUBG on a device with this SoC, the framerate and gameplay suffers because it's not designed for this tasks at all.

SD720G and Helio G90T

These are two SoCs with similar BIG.little core composition but done differently.

SD720G - 2x2.3GHz A76 and 6x1.7GHz A55
Helio G90T -2x2.05GHz A76 and 6x 2.0GHz A55

These SoCs have even more powerful little cores (power saving) than the Helio P22 cited above has for its BIG (performance) cores.
Taking a look at the Cortex A76 cores present in this 2 SoCs the amount of power used will be greater than those of the Helio P22.

I clumped this two SoCs together (SD720G and Helio G90T) together is because they do similar things but with 2 different fabrication process. The SD720G has higher clocked performance cores but 8nm fab. process whilst the G90T has higher clocked power saving cores but a 12nm fab. process. The SD720G will see better battery savings than the G90T at the some tasks whilst the G90T would utilise the performance cores less due to having faster power saving cores.

SD 865 SoC

This SoC is would've been the best SoCs seen on Android devices if the 865+ wasn't just released.

The SD865+ has 1x2.84Ghz A77, 3x2.42Ghz A77 and 4x1.80GHz A55 CPU configuration. It has a fabrication process of 7nm+ as well.

If we're to compare this with the 720G, the A77 cores are already a threat to battery life in comparison to the A76 found on the 720G or G90T and hence it performs better at heavy tasks and despite the more efficient fabrication process it'll not have as much battery life as the 720G at the same capacity. For example the Mi 9T and Mi9T pro similar in almost every way save for the SoCs inside (730 Vs 855).

NB: The Qualcomm Snapdragon SoCs use custom Cortex A series cores called Kyro. I couldn't go into details about it but you best look it up.

PS: I wrote this in one take, please ignore as many typos as you can. I'll probably modify it later.

TL;DR? More Powerful SoC will consume more power.

PSSS: I could've gotten several things wrong or portrayed them inaccurately, I implore you to do some .ore research yourself

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 25, 2020
olayinkajnr:

It's even apparent that you don't know that screen resolution, manufacturing process and even network affect battery backup.

Them don correct you tire and you still dey adamant to learn.

7-8hrs of SOT under heavy usage. I mean heavy usage is very impressive.

Note 9s have a very efficient SOC and better manufacturing process, so the high SOT is expected. Even R8 has a better manufacturing process than Redmi Note 7, so it's also expected to have a high SOT.

The things we type on this thread sometimes self.

What's my business with your definition of heavy usage?

I don't know that screen resolution and processor affects battery life? Its you that know, lmao.

Kindly fvck off.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by olayinkajnr(m): 8:52pm On Jul 25, 2020
Elder0001:

What's my business with your definition of heavy usage?

I don't know that screen resolution and processor affects battery life? Its you that know, lmao.

Kindly fvck off.
As expected, an ignorant person will never want to learn. They'll rather want to die in their ignorance.

Now, at the bolded, if you know, you won't make a fool of yourself on the thread.

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by olayinkajnr(m): 8:52pm On Jul 25, 2020
GrandMufti:

You no go see am again till dem mention note 8 battery

Lol. Na wa ọ. This thread na real comic relief.

1 Like

Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 25, 2020
olayinkajnr:

As expected, an ignorant person will never want to learn. They'll rather want to die in their ignorance.

Now, at the bolded, if you know, you won't make a fool of yourself on the thread.

Idiot.
I said what I said.
Re: The Xiaomi Thread. by Tiger2020(m): 8:55pm On Jul 25, 2020
postdigger:
This whole battery stats is becoming stale undecided undecided, all I see are insults upon insults because of SOT
dont mind them,my battery serves me wella,i press phone too much so i wouldn't expect my phone to last all day ,
As long as there is light ,i will charge my phone

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7616) (7617) (7618) (7619) (7620) (7621) (7622) ... (9318) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: emoboy4u and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.