Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,408 members, 7,954,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:10 AM

ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut (5877 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Vows To Continue Strike / ASUU STRIKE: Nigerian Varsities May Remain Shut For A Long Time To Come (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by kayodeAK(m): 4:56pm On Aug 13, 2009
i need a student of unilorin that can update me concerning university of ilorin admission 2009/2010
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by yuppydon(m): 5:06pm On Aug 13, 2009
We have too many selfish and stubborn leader both from ASUU's side and FG, Its unfortunate its happening again. i was home for 6 months in 2004 due to ASUU strike, this is just the beginning of another one
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by ogbronx(m): 5:15pm On Aug 13, 2009
imagine that one is expected to have graduated at the age of 24 or less and the incessant strikes in naija extends that to say 26or27.miserable nysc for another wasted year only to finish and meet stupid employers who insist you must be bellow a certain age e.g 26.even if you finish services early say 24 and for some reason your are not to lucky to get a job in the firsts 2 years,then e don big for you be that.this country is really messed up and its only nigerians that do not want to wake up to this bitter reality. anyone with connection to helep me gerrat of this yeye land?
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by mrperfect(m): 6:02pm On Aug 13, 2009
God will surely help his people.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by FLOW101: 6:29pm On Aug 13, 2009
I have always wanted ASUU to stick to their guns. This is a sacrifice Nigerian students have to make. ASUU has an important place in the history of Nigeria, right from the IBB years. I see the issue as being far beyond the struggle between Government and a Union. I, with my moderate academic standing, will not keep discussing the same sets of issues for over ten years without results. I wont expect ASUU to do so either.
I agree that every Nigerian (including ASUU) should be patriotic. In fact during hard times as this, with the economic recession biting hard, it will be expected that workers relax their demands for any government intervention that will involve huge capital outlays, as is applicable in many civilized societies. But the case in Nigeria is different. If this money is not spent on education, it will end up being looted , one way or another. So in the end, the only valid argument politicians have is that ASUU's demand means they will have less money to loot from. 
In civilized societies, with the election year so close, any Government that hopes to return to power will not toy around with the situation as it is being done in Nigeria. But that is Nigeria for you. It goes to show the reckless disregard the politicians have for the sensibilities of Nigerians.
I stand by ASUU any time. forget about those stories indicting lecturers in cases of sexual harassment. That's a story for another day. I refuse to be distracted. Besides, ASUU has disciplined a number of their members who were found guilty. In the Physics department of my great UNIBEN, a professor was defrocked and dismissed with out any entitlement.
Let's not forget that ASUU is arguably the biggest union of enlightened individuals in Nigeria and other less forceful unions may be waiting to take a cue from her, So it does matter how resilient ASUU  can stand against the waves of government mis-rule. If ASUU can not check Government's excesses, then no one can.

Someone on the thread asked NANS to check ASUU. That's very funny. Well, just so you know, most NANS excos are no longer students - many have never been students - and don't have a stake in the University system. Since 2005 there has always been a leadership tussle within NANS. The glorious NANS of yesteryears has been reduced to a group of ID card-carrying individuals who are only out to give awards to just any politician who is willing to pay.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by palermo: 6:31pm On Aug 13, 2009
Definitely, hunger strike go hit dem, one day, those dat failed to upgrade theirselves, some of dem are dumbass tongue
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by meAdigun(m): 7:13pm On Aug 13, 2009
ASUU cares. If its true those leading ASUU strike have their children studying abroad and not just a SETUP by the FG, and they are still fighting to ensure FG gives universities funds necessary to improve or build basic infrastructures and other needs, would you say don't care?

There are points brought up by Redman44 which had been on my mind -these funds if considered by FG, will not improve anything as long has corruption still abounds within universities. EFCC would CERTAINLY have something(actually a lot) to do in this area instead of try to impress the press. Lecturers need a new mentality and attitude towards their jobs (They are the ones who have the biggest part in making these students the products they should be).

ASUU should put their heads together and come up with a good way to go about this (the strike looks like it will make a laughing stock out of them if FG does nothing and parents and students pressure harder for their future -e.g like in ogbronx post, NYSC service will be hindered for some of these students )
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 13, 2009
I am not a Nigerian UNI studunt bur i deem it fit to support d naija studunts. . . cheesy

OH ASUU'!! Which way?!?
OH FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WHICH WAY?!
OH Nigerian Students! Which Way?!?

OH NIGERIA!!
Your seedlings and inhabitant are crying for optimum justice, While FG and top government functionaries are savouring in financial independency.

OH NIGERIA!!
When will u liberate ur dwellants and set loose the captives of education inaccuracies?!

OH NIGERIA!!
Your sons and daughters are languishing in abject humiliation, rejection, dejection, depression and even poverty.
The valiant minds that are determined to scale through the Nigerian Education System and it curricular are getting fainted because their motivation, inspiration and aspirations are far lacked behind.

OH NIGERIA!!
Your siblings and inhabitants are yelling and questioning, When will there be a change in the governing of it people!

When shall we get to the promised land?

OH NIGERIA!!
You are RICH and Extremely wealthy in Resources, Oil and Natural Gas yet the rainmakers of the city are been trampled on and overshadowed by the corrupt nature of her leaders and so blackmailing the professional jugganauts and dragging their names on the mud.

OH NIGERIA!!
Where are the good old days!? Your children are no longer safe in the hands of their parents! Should this be so by existence?!!
Children can no longer watch the educative programs on T.V as they use to. Parents can no longer afford her childs own school fees.
Educated expertees can no longer find their way and place in the same society which we are all engulfed in.

BUT ALAS!!
OH NIGERIA!
Why am i still uneducated??
Why can't i afford to buy gud clothings as i so desire??
Why can't i get admitted into a university after going tru the six walls of secondary education and with all i have accumulated and have upstairs??
Why am i so shy even with confidence inside of me??
Why ? Why ?? Why ??

Are there really answers to all these lingering questions?
Yes am a child and i want answers.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by Phemour: 7:58pm On Aug 13, 2009
I am now an Angry Nigerian angry
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by goggs(m): 8:44pm On Aug 13, 2009
The ASUU president also alleged that the government had already stopped their salaries, contrary to the claim by the Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC), that their July salaries had been paid.

Kai Prof (ASUU President), this propaganda has moved a notch higher. Academic Staffs received their July salaries in full! Okojie (NUC Ex Sec) was right! August salaries are being prepared as normal (Preparations start by the 10th of every month). i know this cos i work in one of the Federal Universities. I think its time to call off the strike dudes; everybody is battle weary. ASUU's argument is now sounding so hollow, their reaction looks like a computer iteration that may ultimately lead to a "blue screen of death" for the university system.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by danacreate: 9:24pm On Aug 13, 2009
My People, fellow students come to think of it, who actually is been affected by this face off between the gvt and ASUU.? of course it is the student. salary of govt. officers is not touched, that of the lecturers also isn't touched. But the students, innocent as they are have to stay idle at home wasting precious time.

So the question is what are the student doing to bring a lasting solution to this primitive menace?. nothing? what a pity!. Perhaps they lack ideas, well i have a suggestion , all student nation wide should embark on a peacefull rally against the govt. Let the world know that we are fighting for our future, we won't sit aside and watch some gluttons ruin the future of this great nation. I belief this would bring shame and tension on the govt. and they will be forced to accept the demands made by ASUU.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by SEFAGO(m): 9:28pm On Aug 13, 2009
INfact, you can find their children on facebook, and all those social networks, let us use them
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by whiteroses(f): 9:29pm On Aug 13, 2009
my cousin goes there she's not happy at all she'll have to face exams if they should resume and she's not receiving any lecture whats going on down there
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by whiteroses(f): 9:36pm On Aug 13, 2009
danacreate:

My People, fellow students come to think of it, who actually is been affected by this face off between the gvt and ASUU.? of course it is the student. salary of govt. officers is not touched, that of the lecturers also isn't touched. But the students, innocent as they are have to stay idle at home wasting precious time.

So the question is what are the student doing to bring a lasting solution to this primitive menace?. nothing? what a pity!. Perhaps they lack ideas, well i have a suggestion , all student nation wide should embark on a peacefull rally against the govt. Let the world know that we are fighting for our future, we won't sit aside and watch some gluttons ruin the future of this great nation. I belief this would bring shame and tension on the govt. and they will be forced to accept the demands made by ASUU.

dearie they have done that countless times this is what always happen

Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by elnaf(m): 9:49pm On Aug 13, 2009
Wish there was a law stoping top government officials sending there chilldren abroad,
NIJAJAGA-JAGA a country filled with EMBEZZLERS,LAWLESSNESS,INSECURITY,JOBLESNESS,CORRUPTION, etc
I wonder if ve a PRESIDENT 4 two years where is ur seven point agender?so please my advice is 2 prevent ASSU strike,BOKO HARAM, etc we
need aaccountable and good governance not LOOTERS,EMBEZZLER as our rulers and leaders
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by tayoast(m): 9:56pm On Aug 13, 2009
These ASUU guys too selfish ooo.

Why would they want 2 stay in their jobs till they are [size=16pt]70?[/size]

What 'll graduates do while u're still working at 70?

The FG is not even thinkin str8! Why would they approve such?
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by chyk91(m): 10:14pm On Aug 13, 2009
e don be.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by mecylee(f): 10:18pm On Aug 13, 2009
danacreate:

Are you talking of shame and tension on the govt. who among those beast do u think that has shame again after there have betray the trust and confidence that  their constituency inveted on them my  brother they dont have shame beside how many of  thier children are even in this schools that is shut donw one thing is sure  that one day nemesis will soon cought up with them one after the other as for the student just believe in your self and do not allow anything to discourage you this nation is our and we are the one to fix it right.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by mecylee(f): 10:22pm On Aug 13, 2009
tayo_ast:

These ASUU guys too selfish ooo.

Why would they want 2 stay in their jobs till they are [size=16pt]70?[/size]

What 'll graduates do while u're still working at 70?

The FG is not even thinkin str8! Why would they approve such?
na dem dem
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by playahP(m): 10:48pm On Aug 13, 2009
THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD STOP LECTURERS SALARY.

for anything to be achieved, sacrifices has to be made.
the students have sacrificed their wack education so i think it is only right for the lecturers to sacrifice their salaries,

EVEN IF SALARY IS INCREASED, WILL IT LEAD TO A BETTER QUALITY OF EDUCATION?
WILL IT STOP LECTURERS FROM VICTIMIZING OUR STUDENT?

please ASUU SHOULD STOP BARKING LIKE A DOG COS THEY ARE TOOTHLESS.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by delejames(m): 11:22pm On Aug 13, 2009
Wats really happening, The Lecturers are sittin at home,and their salaries is been paid? .Honestly,i do not see ASUU callin off the strike any time soon because they dont seems to lose anything.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by vislabraye(m): 2:58am On Aug 14, 2009
delejames:

Wats really happening, The Lecturers are sittin at home,and their salaries is been paid? .Honestly,i do not see ASUU callin off the strike any time soon because they dont seems to lose anything.

Thats a good point. The ASUU guys have little to loose.By negotiating and having their salaries paid will not dissuade them from their act. It's just unfortunate that many people are poor. If not schooling abroad (Ghana inclusive) is a far better option,
I believe these ASUU guys are overdoing it.
Infact this country needs divine intervention. No department in this country is working well. Power failure, Security issues, unemployment, decayed infrastructures, transportation and Eduaction, There is a problem.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by Samkunle(m): 5:55am On Aug 14, 2009
All you students on this forum clamouring for the striking lecturers to go back to work so you can resume classes -- why are you so desparate return to class? What are you all learning? The whole system is broken. Majority of lecturers are half-baked or even worse. They are all products of the system. Isn't it Yar'Adua that promised reform to the education sector, as part of his seven-point agenda? If he really means what he promised, here is an opportunity to fulfill one of his promises and do something about the broken educational sector.

It should be more that just increasing lecturers' salaries. The government should sincerely show that they want development for real for this country by encouraging academic research, funding the universities, eradicating corruption and incompetence in the schools, ensuring that there is adequate power supply in these learning centers by doing something about the power sector, the list goes on and on.

It seems to me that the students in this forum don't care about the quality of education they get. They just want to go back to school and get their "papers", graduate and go look for work. Why not just go have the certificates forged if they are in so much hurry. After all, there are many people that do it and get away with it.

This country is seriously broken, and sacrifices have to be made to fix it -- by the federal government, lecturers and students alike. I support the fight of ASUU! You students, support them and add voice to their struggle.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by honsule(m): 8:28am On Aug 14, 2009
Samkunle:

It seems to me that the students in this forum don't care about the quality of education they get. They just want to go back to school and get their "papers", graduate and go look for work. Why not just go have the certificates forged if they are in so much hurry. After all, there are many people that do it and get away with it.

hope u are not one of the people that forged their certificate. grin grin grin.Nemesis will caught up with them someday,somehow.What u sow is what u will reap.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by Valon4ego(m): 10:10am On Aug 14, 2009
Greatest nigerian students! May i give u a word of advice, instead of whining & complaining about ASUU and their useless strike, pls try to do something worthwhile with your time like getting yourselves some bucks (tutorials,a little commercial,etc) maybe lend your parents a little hand and please try to spend your time as comfortable as possible, for none knows how long this strike is lasting. Honestly, the strike has been beneficial for for me as it enabled me to settle some problems. What do you think
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by nethacker(m): 11:02am On Aug 14, 2009
honsule:

hope u are not one of the people that forged their certificate. grin grin grin.Nemesis will caught up with them someday,somehow.What u sow is what u will reap.
Nemesis will CAUGHT up shocked or catch up with them grin
The True Nigerian Student grin
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by Ad4(m): 11:04am On Aug 14, 2009
We blame the federal Government at times of curruption but I feel ASUU is really an obstacle to education in this country.What do they want?let them educate the nation on their demands and let all civil groups,judiciary and well meaning Nigerians come together to press on the government for a ONCE AND FOR ALL negotiation.I don't like this idea of strike today, talk 2morow, warning strike follows and then a final strike! Something I believe is not right in ASUU, for goodness sake,educated people, profs for that matter should stop behaving like traders.
Come to think of it, do the university lecturers need an increase in salaries?What contribution have they made to youth growth and development in Nigeria.We're having more and more half baked graduates every time.They should be ashamed of themselves for not putting quality into education but quantity.Going to school now is boring when you think of the stresses you need to go thru just for registration alone not to talk of project defense and graduating.I'm afraid of doing my masters in a Nigerian Uni and that is why affiliate schools get more expensive because they take advantage of the educational situation.
ASUU should behave like the educated people they are and let us move forward.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by IGWEUSA(m): 11:08am On Aug 14, 2009
nethacker:

Nemesis will CAUGHT up shocked or catch up with them grin
The True Nigerian Student grin
ROTFLMAO!! shocked
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by nethacker(m): 11:10am On Aug 14, 2009
Ad+:

We blame the federal Government at times of curruption but I feel ASUU is really an obstacle to education in this country.What do they want?let them educate the nation on their demands and let all civil groups,judiciary and well meaning Nigerians come together to press on the government for a ONCE AND FOR ALL negotiation.I don't like this idea of strike today, talk 2morow, warning strike follows and then a final strike! Something I believe is not right in ASUU, for goodness sake,educated people, profs for that matter should stop behaving like traders.
Come to think of it, do the university lecturers need an increase in salaries?What contribution have they made to youth growth and development in Nigeria.We're having more and more half baked graduates every time.They should be ashamed of themselves for not putting quality into education but quantity.Going to school now is boring when you think of the stresses you need to go thru just for registration alone not to talk of project defense and graduating.I'm afraid of doing my masters in a Nigerian Uni and that is why affiliate schools get more expensive because they take advantage of the educational situation.
ASUU should behave like the educated people they are and let us move forward.
Well constructed and concise, Words well-spoken
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by otokx(m): 11:20am On Aug 14, 2009
The universities are not about to be open and that is for sure. On the issue of stopping salary payment, all the time workers go on strike and return the government still pays them their backlog so if you stop it now you will still pay it eventually and that in full measure. For those of you who stay in university towns, ASUU has thrown open its weekly meetings to students to come and ask questions. This is a fight to the finish, no half measures. Since the government has decided to adopt propaganda, ASUU too is giving them fire for fire. The other unions are solidly behind ASUU. 70 years retirement age is only for professors of at least 10 years and its needed so that they groom and enhance stability to the system by nurturing young and upcoming lecturers.
Re: ASUU Vows That Universities Will Remain Shut by mahal(m): 12:01pm On Aug 14, 2009
i think the FG should increase Tuition fees by 1200%

It would help run the schools effectively like other foreign schools.
come to think of it, some federal Universities still accept a paltry N12,000 (ie about $80)
how would the schools improve with this? there's so much rot in the system
just take a stroll thru our schools and see for yourselves, year in and out, nothing is done to improve the system
I think Nigerian students should give ASUU all the necessary support they can in this face off with the FG,
Students in most Asian, European and Islamic countries control and and play a major role in the country's
democracy and affairs and in most cases have championed changes in policies and the leadership of the country,
But it seem nigerian students are more inclined to rushing thru the system whether they grab anything or not, graduating and jumping into one
commercial bank or the other. angry
well, just my opinion,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why 2go Messenger Died / Women In History Who Clearly Had More Balls Than Men / Pre Degree Or Diploma Forms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.