Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,730 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) (19685 Views)

Mother Writes NYSC: My Son Suffers From 'ogugu' Spirit:Kindly Advise Me. / Mother Writes NYSC: My Son Suffers From 'Ogugu' Spiritual Attack, Redeploy Him / NYSC: My Unpaid Allowances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by onismate: 5:53am On May 09, 2016
7 Advantages and 4 Disadvantages of NYSC And Being A Corper
The dream of any Nigerian undergraduate is to serve their fatherland, obeying the compulsory clarion call of NYSC. After graduating from the university, I was so anxious to go for my NYSC. Now wey I don dey serve, thing come tire me.
So many are of the opinion that NYSC is beneficial why others disagreed, saying that NYSC is a scam. But for me, here are 7 advantages and 4 Disadvantages of NYSC and being a corper.
Seven (7) Advantages
1. Driving without a License- As a corper, you can drive a car without a “Driver’s license,” provided you are on your NYSC uniform or proper identification as a corper.
2. You are Known, not Anonymous- As a corper, you are known and not anonymous to people. Imagine travelling on the high way and the police or Army stops your car. You will realize that every other people in the car will be searched and interrogated, but tell them you are a corper with your ID card, they won’t even search or interrogate you. So you are not anonymous.
3. Federal Immunity- There are some special privileges enjoyed by corpers. One of them is federal immunity. That is why you see that there are some places as an ordinary person you can’t just enter. But as a corper, with your uniform there are so many places you can enter and doors are opened for you. And to an extent you are untouchable. I heard of a story of a guy who was walking towards a sensitive area in Aso Rock district. The security officials had to send him back and told him that if that he wasn’t a corper, he would have been badly beaten, because no one can just walk through that area ordinarily. But the federal immunity covered him and he was just sent back.
4. Respect and Recognition- As a corp member, any were you go with that NYSC uniform, or even the cap, and you are identified as a corper, people will respect and regard you.
5. Job- You can use the NYSC certificate to secure a job unless you didn’t serve or given certificate of exemption. If not, it will be difficult to get a without NYSC certificate.
6. It Makes Nigerian Youths Tougher- The scheme, starting from camp makes one tougher mentally, physically, spiritually and mentally. It helps you blend in job hunting times.
7. Unification, Socialization, Networking- The scheme helps to unite Nigerians from every state, ethnic and religious backgrounds. Socialization aspect, it helps people to mix, mingle and socialize, get to meet new friends they have never met before. Networking is also important. You never can know who will be of help to you.
4 Disadvantages of NYSC
1. The scheme is time wasting – To be sincere with you, with the current state of the NYSC scheme in Nigeria, it seems to be a waste of time and resources. The paper certificate has become more important than the entire one year scheme. The scheme needs to be restructured. Most corp members are being posted to classrooms which won’t enhance their skills, and out of line with what they studied in the university.
2. No Insurance scheme- There is no insurance scheme for corp members. There should have been a reasonable insurance scheme for corpers to make it more palatable.
3. No Job Guarantee- After serving the country, we are just left on our own. The Government should provide a viable and reputable structure that after service, we are integrated into good jobs. Not after service we are being left alone. Even though there are no jobs, rather than engaging in the scheme, they should just gather all the allowee money and give it to us to start a business after the compulsory 3 weeks orientation camp.
4. The NYSC paper certificate is more important than the scheme- The NYSC has highly exalted the certificate more than the scheme that it’s virtually impossible for any employer to give you a job in Nigeria, even to do your post graduate sef na problem without the certificate.

Advise to NYSC. They should try to infuse better skill acquisition program to the scheme that will be beneficial to corp members. So after passing out, they must have gotten a good development, they must have gotten a skill that will help them.
NYSC needs to restructure the scheme with greater innovations and improvements.

http://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1138-7-advantages-and-4-disadvantages-of-nysc-and-being-a-corper

lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by Aniekanp1: 5:57am On May 09, 2016
WELL SAID smiley
Re: Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by khalhokage(m): 6:04am On May 09, 2016
They should scrap the whole thing jaré.

1 Like

Re: Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by saxwizard(m): 8:29am On May 09, 2016
I will b bak to comment
Re: Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by casttlebarbz(m): 9:53am On May 09, 2016
i agree with u OP..
shalla to evry lagos corp member
Re: Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by 2el(m): 3:15pm On May 09, 2016
I heard a NYSC corper won N12milliom from bet9ja in Akwa ibom, should sport betting be considered as advantage to corpers or disadvantage cos i don't support gambling....
Re: Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 09, 2016
During my service year I never cared for all these. I was even ashamed to wear my uniform everywhere I went. One thing I remember though, corpers were always shown love by ordinary citizens.
Re: Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by sawdonline: 11:31am On Jun 04, 2016
After your NYSC POP what next ?

Alot of CORPERS go home after NYSC to sit at home and start looking for some of the none existing jobs as results leading to a life of anguish pain disappointment and unfulfilment

My Question Is ? will be among those that live these kind of life or be among those that live a life devoid of crime But making real legitimate money for yourself and be smiling to the bank

The truth is Nigeria need more entrepreneurs and self reliant youth in other to achieve industrialisation

in this light we have decided to assist by providing materials that can make you self reliant and skill acquisition training and program

We will be equiping you tools of the trade for both online and offline business

How to get registered on the ones that need documentation all these will be treated in our other post.

https://www.nairaland.com/3145924/skill-aquistion-nysc-corpers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by Randyguy: 9:34pm On Jun 04, 2016
Interesting.

Re: Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by saintkeppy(m): 4:50am On Jun 05, 2016
Advantages of NYSC: No.2 is the same as No.4.
Imagine the procurement of NYSC Uniforms & Logistics, Money paid to adhoc staff during orientation camp for 3 batches in a year.

Best advise:Nigerian Govt. Should set aside special funds for this. They should sum up the 20k monthly/1yr stipends to corp members, aleast 240k to start biz, learn a skill, help further education(PGD or MSC) or attend some relevant short courses to enhance employability. Afterall money looted in hard currency by our politicians is enough to address this issues significantly.
Re: Here Are Advantages And Disadvantages Of NYSC (my Opinion) by dtc2k(m): 9:34am On Jun 05, 2016
Congratulations sisters and brothers. Now that you are about to go start NYSC.What is your next plan for the next 6 months in 2016How do you intend to get the job and make sure you keep the job done?Do you have the necessary and required qualities and qualifications?Are you skilled in the operation of the latest Microsoft Office 2013 applications and the internet?Can your computer knowledge and skills get you a very good job and make your career secured?Within 12 weeks you can Upgrade your knowledge and usage of New day-to-day office and daily business applications like MS Office 2013 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) with other Computer proficiency Skills In Web Surfing, Internet Operations, and lots more.Learn more, in less time. Boost your competitive advantage by enrolling @ Divine Touch Computer Training School:√ FOCUSED FLEXIBLE TRAINING OPTIONS:√ 1 COMPUTER = 1 STUDENT√ 98% FULL PRACTICAL CLASSES DAILY√ MORNING /AFTERNOON /EVENING√ DURATION: 3 MONTHS (12 WEEKS)√ FREE TRAINING STUDYING GUIDELINES√ STAND BY GENERATOR 24/7√ CONDUCIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENTVISIT US TODAY: 3 Bella Close, Off Quarry Road, beside former Savannah Bank Building, Abeokuta. Ogun State. 08179409183, 08039408822An approved National Youth Service Corps Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development Training (SAED) Center.

(1) (Reply)

Life After Nysc....I Need Your Suggestions Guys / Insecurity: Over 100 Corps Members Withdraw From Saturday’s Election Duty In Imo / Benue State A'15 Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.