Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,000 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation (8411 Views)

Gabriel Suswam's Sickness Stalls Corruption Trial / Confirmation Of Buhari’s Nominees Stalls In Senate / FG Moves To Cut Power Utilisation By 85% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by ijustdey: 11:24am On May 09, 2016
While the deposits hitting the current accounts of bank customers are being debited for stamp duty, the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission has placed an embargo on the fund as a result of a court case, EVEREST AMAEFULE writes
For the three tiers of government looking for ways to shore their revenue base, the fund accruing from the recently re-energised stamp duty is still far from their reach.

This is because the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission has placed an embargo on the fund lodged in a Single Treasury Account with the Central Bank of Nigeria known as the Stamp Duties Account.

Going by the projection of the Nigerian Postal Services and the CBN, the account may have attracted about N833bn in the first four months of the year.

The Federal Government had projected that the deduction of N50 on every banking deposit into a current account with a value of N1,000 and above would give the nation as much as N2.5tn per annum. This translates to N206.33bn a month and N833.33bn for the first four months of the year.

Although the implementation started in January through the issuance of a memo by the CBN, sources at the RMAFC said the revenue agency had placed an embargo on funds accruing from the duty.

This is because of a court case that was instituted against the CBN and 23 banks by one of the companies allegedly appointed by NIPOST to act as its agent for the collection of the stamp duty for transactions in the banks and other financial institutions.

The company, Kasmal International Services Limited, owned by Senator Buruji Kashamu, had gone to court to compel the banks to remit about N6tn to NIPOST for the stamp duties they are supposed to have collected between 2004 and 2013.

The banks had allegedly failed to deduct stamp duties on electronic transactions because the Stamp Duty Act of 2004 had not made any provision for the deduction of stamp duty on electronic transactions but on transactions where stamps are supposed to be affixed.

However, Kasmal International Services Limited contends that the banks are supposed to collect the duty on behalf of NIPOST. The company also claims that it is entitled to 20 per cent of the fund in accordance with the agency agreement it allegedly signed with the postal agency.

It is on the strength of the subsisting court case that the RMAFC has restricted access to the stamp duty account, which is supposed to be swept into the Federation Account for sharing among the three tiers of government.

This development, investigation showed, would not only affect the fortunes of the three tiers of government, which are currently starved of funds to carry on with basic functions of governance, but also the operations of NIPOST, which has been expecting relief with the implementation of the duty.

One of the things that may be affected at NIPOST is the new salary structure, which has since been submitted to the government. The government’s nod on this may have to linger. Several proposed renewal programmes of the postal system may also stay in the pipeline.

The Special Assistant to the Minister of Communications on Media, Mr. Victor Oluwadamilare, declined to comment on the development. Similarly, the Public Relations Manager of NIPOST, Mr. Taiye Olaniyi, declined to speak on the subject.

Attempts to speak with Acting Postmaster General of Federation, Mr. Richard Balami, on the restriction of access to the fund proved abortive. A text message sent to his mobile phone had yet to be replied as of press time.

It is not only access to the stamp duty account that has been stalled by the court case instituted by Kasmal. In April, the Senate called for a public hearing into the controversy surrounding the sour relationship between NIPOST and the firm. The upper legislative chamber found out that it could not do much because of the court case.

The work of the technical committee set up to clear the grey areas on the implementation of the stamp duty has also been stalled as a result of the court case. Part of the work of the committee is to determine what percentage of the duty should go to NIPOST as the cost of collection.

Membership of the committee chaired by RMAFC is drawn from the CBN, NIPOST and Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation.

The committee is also expected to examine some transactions that have been exempted from stamp duty in order to ensure that they don’t become an albatross to the implementation of the policy. It is also expected to monitor the accruals into the stamp duty account.

Since the CBN took the decision to coerce banks to start deducting stamp duty in January this year, the duty has been enmeshed in one controversy or the other. There was the resistance of bank customers who said it was unjust to coerce them to pay dated duty that they get no benefit whatsoever from.

There has also been controversy over the role of the different government agencies and agents in the collection of the stamp duty as well as what accrues to who. These issues have not been resolved.
The appointment of agents for the collection of the stamp duty has also not gone without its controversy.

Apart from the ongoing dispute on the status of Kasmal International Services Limited in relations to the stamp duty, the appointment of agents for the collection of stamp duty in other sectors of the economy has also attracted negative publicity.
In March, the commencement of the process for the appointment of 20 new agents caused a spat between the Minister of Communications, Mr. Adebayo Shittu, and the former Acting Postmaster General of the Federation, Mr. Enoch Ogun.

While Shittu said the process for the appointment of the agents should be suspended until the issues surrounding Kasmal was sorted out, Ogun said he received no such directive and also claimed that the appointment of agents was a routine duty handled by a standing committee charged with the responsibility.
The controversy claimed the job of Ogun, who was shown the way out of the postal system even though he had been asked to head the organisation until a substantive PMG was appointed.

As the controversy surrounding the attempt by the government to shore up its revenue base through the interpretation of the Stamp Duty Act of 2004 deepens, one thing that has remained constant since January is the alert informing bank customers of the deduction of N50 on deposits from their accounts. What becomes of the monies will be determined in the days ahead.

http://www.punchng.com/court-case-stalls-n833bn-stamp-duty-fund-utilisation/

1 Like

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Dottore: 2:27pm On May 09, 2016
Chai. The figure is huge. I didn't read the whole article but I somehow came across where Kashamu's company is said to be a collecting Agent for Fed government on stamp duties. Well I wonder when and how certain contracts are awarded in this country and whether background checks of companies are ever carried out before the award of contracts especially the ones as sensitive as this one

Meanwhile if the government can realise a figure of this magnitude in a quarter by just deducting 50naira from current account deposits,

I suggest they extend same policy for savings account so long as theirs transparency and accountability, it will help in curbing out the idea of borrowing to fund the budget.
Also I wonder the amount they realise from normal taxation from FIRS.

Me wey get small company I know how much I pay yearly for tax clearance how much more the big corporations.
#yawns and goes for lunch

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 09, 2016
I no even read am
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by oshe11: 2:29pm On May 09, 2016
eheeeeeeeen! eyaaaaaah
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 09, 2016
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by 400billionman: 2:30pm On May 09, 2016
Stamp duty or no stamp duty.

Nigerians need electricity, cheap food and fuel.

This government sef..

1 Like

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by yomalex(m): 2:34pm On May 09, 2016
B4 nko
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by macphilip: 2:35pm On May 09, 2016
o boy, see the huge sum realised from just N50 collection by the banks.
Nigeria has no reason to be poor

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Emperor100(m): 2:36pm On May 09, 2016
There are lot of ways government can always generate revenue apart from oil. This is an example..

2 Likes

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by anthoniosp(m): 2:37pm On May 09, 2016
See..I no wan hear say agabada hang for barb wire ooh .as they carry the 50 naira 4 times back to back. I been no talk..I dey harsh make e no b say I wound person...

2 Likes

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by apesinola001: 2:37pm On May 09, 2016
The money generated should be well managed.
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by 400billionman: 2:38pm On May 09, 2016
macphilip:

Effect of large population..

1 Like

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by loseyourseld(m): 2:40pm On May 09, 2016
I do not think there is a need to borrow money to fund the budget. From projection, this will stamp duty can add 2.5trn to Governments revenue.
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by themejiwalker(m): 2:45pm On May 09, 2016
macphilip:

So right. The solution is right in front of us
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 09, 2016
The company also claims that it is entitled to 20 per cent of the fund in accordance with the agency agreement it allegedly signed with the postal agency.

Ain't this guys criminals? shocked

Imagine 20% of N833billion for being an agent and 20% of over N2trillion in a year..... Chaiiii.... See how we're losing revenue daily because of 1 corrupt govt official that would rather use his private company to do the work than do the work himself on behalf of govt.... embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Lordtrillion(m): 2:45pm On May 09, 2016
Wow shocked shocked, didn't know stamp duty has the potential to generate such huge amount of money. Now I know cheesy
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by frisky2good(m): 2:50pm On May 09, 2016
I'm sure they will manage it well since they put their own children in CBN and then suggested masquerade jobs for us.

apesinola001:
The money generated should be well managed.

1 Like

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by obailala(m): 2:52pm On May 09, 2016
This is huge!
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by frisky2good(m): 2:53pm On May 09, 2016
Shagari borrowed money, Buhari borrowed, IBB borrowed, Abacha borrowed, OBJ wiped the slate now Buhari is back to borrow more. It's what they know how to do.

loseyourseld:
I do not think there is a need to borrow money to fund the budget. From projection, this will stamp duty can add 2.5trn to Governments revenue.
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Pavore9: 2:57pm On May 09, 2016
Our population is a blessing to the government when it comes to generating revenue out of us but when it comes to them providing service they will say we are over-populated!

2 Likes

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by yinchar(m): 2:58pm On May 09, 2016
Thank God PDP is out of the government. I don't understand on what basis is a company owned by Senator Buruji Kashamu secured a contract with FG NIPOST to take 20% of Stamp Duty Revenue, that is simply crazy. If it's the PDP in power now, nothing would have been known about Kasmal International Services Limited, owned by Senator Buruji Kashamu. No wonder he spent millions of naira to ensure the re-election of the fedora-hat wearing drunkard, God pass you Buruji.

This man is a Yoruba man just like me, he should be arrested with all those that signed this kind of contract, a whole 20% to his agency.

GOD BLESS PMB
GOD BLESS NIGERIA

4 Likes

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by blazetitov: 3:00pm On May 09, 2016
Kashamu again shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Where is NDLEA sef

2 Likes

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Balkan(m): 3:05pm On May 09, 2016
You can now imagine what Banks make with their online transactions and. Atm machines everyday.

1 Like

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by izzou(m): 3:05pm On May 09, 2016
20% of 6trillion to Senator Kashamu from 2004 to 2013?

And people say only Buhari corrupt

PeeeeeDeeeeeePeeeeeee

Power

1 Like

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by M17CXi: 3:05pm On May 09, 2016
Good God
See funds
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Ademat7(m): 3:05pm On May 09, 2016
Pavore9:
Our population is a blessing to the government when it comes to generating revenue out of us but when it comes to them providing service they will say we are over-populated!
gbam! true talk
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Anwulisomto: 3:06pm On May 09, 2016
Is Kashami not the wanted drug dealer in the US? How did he come to own such a sensitive company. Yoluba people we hail you. You will not see this one...but you will be shouting the name of our hero Tompolo everywhere?

3 Likes

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by chinchum(m): 3:15pm On May 09, 2016
This news appears to me like a projection. Which could be wrong
Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by OlujobaSamuel: 3:32pm On May 09, 2016
this buruji na serious buruku e be. gej oooooo, see ur life.

1 Like

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by Marotzke(m): 3:35pm On May 09, 2016
No wonder Kashamu is defending Buhari and abusing Fayose anyhow. So na 20% of six trillion naira the man de eye? Idiat, no go defect and give half to Tinubu. You go hear nwii.

3 Likes

Re: Court Case Stalls N833bn Stamp Duty Fund Utilisation by rozayx5(m): 3:35pm On May 09, 2016
Thats serious money that can kick start big projects and complete them shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

HAPPENING NOW!!! Biafrexit: All Roads Lead To Umuahia (see Photos) / FG Records N7.34tn Fiscal Deficit In 11 Months – CBN / Impeachment: Edo CJ Constitutes 7-man Panel To Probe Dep-Gov, Philip Shaibu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.