Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,184 members, 7,818,592 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Where Are The Good Coders? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Where Are The Good Coders? (4238 Views)

Join The Nigeria Coders Community / Here Comes the awaited Coders Community / Learning Resource Center(lrc) From Programmers/developers/coders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 12:45pm On May 09, 2016
I can confidently say that there a very few good coders in nigeria and the good ones are tied up in office jobs.

i have worked in the Ecommerce industry and i’ve collaborated with a fair share of exceptional coders and graphic designers who motivate me with their zeal to use their coding to create new things.

My current job allows me a lot of free time and i have chased and gotten quite a number of web designing jobs. Some of them high budget but they usually don’t end the way i want because i don’t have coders to actualize what i want.

I used foreign coders, who always deliver results but the exchange rate made has them unaffordable.

I have come across a number of coders here on nairaland. contacted them and given them jobs only to encounter drama at the end.

I want to believe i am wrong and i have not searched well enough thats why i am using this means to attract like minds (because i know the silent ones are the greatest)

I need a good coder. One who isn’t coding because of hunger. One who is courteous enough to reply mails or communicate his progress. One who knows the importance of good front end design. One who knows the importance of research and continuos personal development. One who sees the big picture and knows the quality of the jobs he does today will open doors for him tomorrow.

I met a lot of fake ass coders here. They are very noisy but cannot show you a portfolio of impressive jobs and they don’t plan to build a portfolio anytime soon. Failures in life who call God at every opportunity.

I am front end designer with experience in logo design, SEO, digital marketing and currently working for an ad network.

I am looking to launch a web design / digital marketing company that will be proudly Nigerian and compete with world class brands. I need a web designer i can call and collaborate with when the opportunities come.

If what i’ve written makes sense to you and you share my concerns and needs. Please contact me and lets talk progress.

Thanks
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by TIMEISWISDOM(m): 6:02pm On May 09, 2016
Am I a good coder? that's left for you to judge. do I believe in continuous development? I think it is a necessary pre requisite in a rapidly improving profession and yes I do that everyday. for my port folio, I have three website and numerous other works, all not online yet but still in my system tested via wamp. for being hungry, well I think I should get paid for what I put my time to. I code 24 hours all things being equal so its very hard to combine it with something else. This isn't the best CV but I think I have a lot to offer. hit me up @kelvinkaluorji@yahoo.com
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Sambayour(m): 7:46pm On May 09, 2016
I don't do too much design as a mata of time I hate designing pages cos it waste my time.
I do strickly back end coding, if u think I can help just quote my comment.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Stconvict(m): 11:08pm On May 09, 2016
hitz:

I want to believe i am wrong and i have not searched well enough thats why i am using this means to attract like minds (because i know the silent ones are the greatest)

I go with that. Your search hasn't ended bro. There are brilliant coders out there and you just haven't met them yet. Trust me. wink

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 11:39pm On May 09, 2016
Sambayour:
I don't do too much design as a mata of time I hate designing pages cos it waste my time.
I do strickly back end coding, if u think I can help me just quote my comment.

Front end UI and UX are one my specialties. I cannot access my NL mailbox. Reach me on vchiwuzo@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 11:41pm On May 09, 2016
Stconvict:

I go with that. Your search hasn't ended bro. There are brilliant coders out there and you just haven't met them yet. Trust me. wink

I know and believe that.

Are you one of them ?
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by splashz(m): 7:31am On May 10, 2016
your looking for a good coder that is free and not hungry in this Nigeria.. well ur looking for it in the wrung country... Nigeria has good coders.. I have met a few... they are hustling to survive... the hardship ,no better Job situation in the country..
is not making it easy..

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by splashz(m): 7:35am On May 10, 2016
another question is what is ur standard of measurement... define ur own standard of good coding...
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 8:01am On May 10, 2016
I am not a coder, I am a very hungry troll. . . .
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 8:40am On May 10, 2016
Try devcenter.CO I know alot of mad designers but like you said they are tied in office work and the billing, also most hate doing client work because requirements are never frozen
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by splashz(m): 9:12am On May 10, 2016
hitz:
I can confidently say that there a very few good coders in nigeria and the good ones are tied up in office jobs.
i have worked in the Ecommerce industry and i’ve collaborated with a fair share of exceptional coders and graphic designers who motivate me with their zeal to use their coding to create new things.
My current job allows me a lot of free time and i have chased and gotten quite a number of web designing jobs. Some of them high budget but they usually don’t end the way i want because i don’t have coders to actualize what i want.
I used foreign coders, who always deliver results but the exchange rate made has them unaffordable.
I have come across a number of coders here on nairaland. contacted them and given them jobs only to encounter drama at the end.
I need a good coder. One who isn’t coding because of hunger. One who is courteous enough to reply mails or communicate his progress. One who knows the importance of good front end design. One who knows the importance of research and continuos personal development. One who sees the big picture and knows the quality of the jobs he does today will open doors for him tomorrow.
I met a lot of fake ass coders here. They are very noisy but cannot show you a portfolio of impressive jobs and they don’t plan to build a portfolio anytime soon. Failures in life who call God at every opportunity.
I am front end designer with experience in logo design, SEO, digital marketing and currently working for an ad network.
I am looking to launch a web design / digital marketing company that will be proudly Nigerian and compete with world class brands. I need a web designer i can call and collaborate with when the opportunities come.
If what i’ve written makes sense to you and you share my concerns and needs. Please contact me and lets talk progress.
Thanks

if u need some one to help u fix ur work both back end and front end... contact me.. I tink I can help u do it...and even do it quickly.. but u will pay
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 10:20am On May 10, 2016
Truth is client work can stress out your life like anything especially here in Naija. Most of our clients are not serious at all.

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 10:37am On May 10, 2016
dhtml18:
Truth is client work can stress out your life like anything especially here in Naija. Most of our clients are not serious at all.

Thats where effective communiciation comes in. A questionnaire should be given to the client to understand his expectations and agreement on how many reviews should be made. in my case i communicate "too much" and it hasn't helped either.

A client is a client. Most dont know what they really want but thats where your professionalism comes in to guide their decisions.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 10:50am On May 10, 2016
Hmn, well. . . . .maybe i could have helped you but alas my schedule is too tight

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by DonSegmond(m): 11:56am On May 10, 2016
Forget about it. I tried hiring programmers for pay too because I want to help my own instead of working with people from india, china, eastern europe, but guess what? The C.Vs were very weak. You would think they were all very gainfully employed, one even had the audacity to quote rates in dollars, given that his skill level from what I've seen shows him to be a junior programmer at best. LOL

Noticing that a lot of Naija programmers are weak skill wise, I figured I could give back by mentoring and teaching people how to code 1on1 via email/skype/hangouts. Only one person took me up on the offer and sadly they never did finished.

I've seen some "smart" people on this forum, but smart doesn't make for a good software engineer. I hope with time tho, folks can realise how much they can transform their life in this lucrative industry by being humble and collaborating with others.

3 Likes

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 10, 2016
I too have tried teaching some people, but only very few really hung around to actually learn.
My general opinion is that many people just want shortcuts to programming. A dude disturbed the life out of me that he wishes to be a professional android developer - i told him to learn JAVA, for where? The gan dissappeared and never chatted with me again. I can cite so many instances, and it makes me wonder seriously. Some nairaland dudes that I have outsourced work to in the past (just because i was just so so busy) - walahi, if i should start that one - i will write like 1,000 lines of bad reports.

A few of them are good, but you see character is another thing entirely. Imagine giving a person work, and when you try to find out status of work - phone busy, phone switched off, etc

I believe that a developer's phone should be accessible 24-7 (or at least 8am to 8pm), anything short of this - I am sorry, i cannot work with you.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 10, 2016
DonSegmond:
Forget about it. I tried hiring programmers for pay too because I want to help my own instead of working with people from india, china, eastern europe, but guess what? The C.Vs were very weak. You would think they were all very gainfully employed, one even had the audacity to quote rates in dollars, given that his skill level from what I've seen shows him to be a junior programmer at best..

dhtml18:
I too have tried teaching some people, but only very few really hung around to actually learn.
My general opinion is that many people just want shortcuts to programming. ..
If the window of opportunity is still open, just to notify you I'm willing to learn. I have a few skills already.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 5:41pm On May 10, 2016
dhtml18:
Hmn, well. . . . .maybe i could have helped you but alas my schedule is too tight

"Help" wouldnt be an appropriate term to describe what i seek through this thread. I'm looking for collaborations, partnerships for the long term. as i speak. i dont have a nigerian go to coder i can say "this is my man". The good ones are ok with their 9 - 5 jobs even if i have paid them what they earn monthly on one basic website.

but as DonSegmond mentioned, Nigerian freelance coders are at best mediocre. what they think is good, isn't necessarily good to the trained eye. They can only appease the poor tastes of the "average Nigerian" and they charge almost the same amount as the foreigners. but the exchange rates has changed all that.

Nigerian coders are no different from artisans. this is my belief and that of so many others. many companies i've liaised with employ nigerian coders who were supervised by foreign coders (usually vietnamese or indonesian)

But i know there is hope cos it cant be that bad. I have met someone here who i think has potential. and if it works out well, i can confidently accept web design jobs when offered.

i am currently in a tight corner. I have employed the services of 3 coders i met on nairaland and they couldnt acheive a simple wordpress theme tweak and the deposits i paid them gone down the drain (i am no maga. i pay upfront to motivate them because i am also in the industry)

I had to BEG a former colleague of mine who is doing what they couldnt do Effortlessly but he is very slow because he works in a very demanding ecommerce company.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 6:03pm On May 10, 2016
splashz:
another question is what is ur standard of measurement... define ur own standard of good coding...

I can't answer that question objectively. but i can say i'm very exposed. I spend most of my internet time on deviantart, dribbble, awwwards, pinterest, stackexchange... just browsing through design ideas and saving images and screenshots of layouts i might need in the future. webdesigns, photography, logos, you name it.

My skype is full of artists and coders. many of them east asians because they easily relate to a nigerian but they're extremely good at what they do especially their girls. So my standards have been set on a high pedestal a long time ago but i didnt know this until i worked as a team lead in an ecommerce site. My friend it wasnt easy. i was labelled a "bad man" because i demanded the best from my colleagues and it later paid off but i left cos i couldnt cope with the mediocrity. Now imagine me begging the same guys to work on my freelance projects but this time i cant demand the quality i usually should.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 6:06pm On May 10, 2016
pcguru1:
Try devcenter.CO I know alot of mad designers but like you said they are tied in office work and the billing, also most hate doing client work because requirements are never frozen

I like the site already. Thanks alot
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 6:19pm On May 10, 2016
dhtml18:
My general opinion is that many people just want shortcuts to programming. A dude disturbed the life out of me that he wishes to be a professional android developer - i told him to learn JAVA, for where? The gan dissappeared and never chatted with me again. I can cite so many instances, and it makes me wonder seriously. Some nairaland dudes that I have outsourced work to in the past (just because i was just so so busy) - walahi, if i should start that one - i will write like 1,000 lines of bad reports.

A few of them are good, but you see character is another thing entirely. Imagine giving a person work, and when you try to find out status of work - phone busy, phone switched off, etc

I believe that a developer's phone should be accessible 24-7 (or at least 8am to 8pm), anything short of this - I am sorry, i cannot work with you.

This man just spoke my mind and i'm sure many people relate to this. Poor Character.

A "programmer" of mine called me to broker a deal for him. I didnt know he already messed up the deal with his irritating behaviour. On the agreed day, i was a suited up ready for war and he war a red polo and flared the collar and palm slippers. i thought i was overdressed till we went to the client's office. This guys are a premier Human resource firm and they agreed to give him 2 million naira for a wordpress site. A WORDPRESS SITE!!! that day, they automatically agreed i was his boss but to cut the long story short he lost the money because after the meeting, he sent the CEO an email i don't know the content till today. Mind you, this lady was a founding partner of KPMG Nigeria.

Asides the poor communication and utter disregard of professionalism. This is just one of my stories with a typical nigerian coder. i have so many more.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by engprodigy: 7:21pm On May 10, 2016
I'm a good programmer. I developed this app on the google play store all by myself: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dianet.efd_app&hl=en

You can check it out to rate me as a programmer. I also have some other projects have done. I'm currently available for a freelance job. I'm based in Lagos, Nigeria. Thanks.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by engprodigy: 7:26pm On May 10, 2016
I also do web application, web design and also very good on word press design. Just checking out all of your post that's why i'm adding this thread.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by hitz: 8:05pm On May 10, 2016
engprodigy:
I also do web application, web design and also very good on word press design. Just checking out all of your post that's why i'm adding this thread.

thanks for your interest. Can you drop your contact temporarily and I will reach you.

I can receive mails on this nairaland I.d.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by engprodigy: 8:12pm On May 10, 2016
hitz:

thanks for your interest. Can you drop your contact temporarily and I will reach you.

I can receive mails on this nairaland I.d.

I can't send a mail to you on Nairaland, the website is not allowing me. It's saying i've sent too many anonymous mail already. Just wondering. But I think have sent a mail to your yahoo mail or you can also send a mail to me via nairaland. I will also drop my number on your yahoo mail nw.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 10, 2016
^^^Is it that you are a spammer or you have been toasting too many babes via the nairaland pm?

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by FincoApps(m): 1:20am On May 11, 2016
dhtml18:

Mehn, that phone being switched off or the idiot not answering is a very common issue with the kind of useless programmers I've met. I almost started to thing Nigerian programmers are cursed.... LITERALLY o
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Laolballs: 5:56am On May 11, 2016
All hands up , i am a backend php developer , i used laravel 5. 1 framework and i try to write to the best of my ability clean loosely coupled and maintainable code ... I use the repository pattern and i try
As much as possible to follow the SOLID design principle. I am a continous learner and i grow with every project i work on .... Here is my email olorundaolaoluwa@gmail.com
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 6:35am On May 11, 2016
This laravel dude seem somewhat interesting. . . .
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by maekhel(m): 8:02am On May 11, 2016
Well not all Nigerian programmers are this bad but the bad ones has definitely spoil the good ones.

That said, am a web developer with focus on back-end development. PHP is my core using the Laravel framework plus I work with WordPress too.

Looking forward to working with a serious minded programmer.
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by Nobody: 8:10am On May 11, 2016
^^^How about working with a troll like me?
Re: Where Are The Good Coders? by maekhel(m): 8:30am On May 11, 2016
dhtml18:
^^^How about working with a troll like me?
lol
Anytime anyday

You be one of my mentors na (Facebook tons)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Simple Factorial Challenge / Oracle2000 For All Banks / Oracle Forms: Advices, Tips, Questions:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.