Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,807 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court (34523 Views)

Breaking News: IPOB Moving From Aba To Ekwulobia To Cause Confusion- PICTURES / Swearing-In Of Ministers: Garba Shehu's Tweet Shows Confusion In The Presidency / Record Breaker!!!! Bukola Saraki Appears In His CCT Trial With 90 Lawyers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by UrennaNkoli(f): 1:54pm On May 10, 2016

The trial of the Senate President Bukola Saraki on a 16-count charge of false assets declaration resumed at the Code of Conduct Tribunal on Tuesday with controversy over how many of the over 90 lawyers representing the defendant can speak for him and cross examine the first prosecution witness, Micheal Wetkas.

The prosecution counsel Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, had immediately after Kanu Agabi, SAN, the lead defence counsel, told the court that Paul Erokoro, SAN, another member of the defence team will continue the cross examination of the witness, rose up in protest.

The prosecution counsel who had earlier expressed the hope that the defence will end the cross examination of the witness which has been on for about four days, argued that though the defendant may have many lawyers, only one counsel is entitled to speak for him at a time.

He further told Mr. Danladi Umar, the Chairman of the Tribunal that he should not give opportunity for the defendant to uses many “voices” in the cross examination.

“My submission is that a party is only entitled to one audience in one proceedings. A counsel who start a cross examination should conclude it. The fact that the defendant has four SANS does not mean each of them should do it. Not that one when person is tired another person will take over. It (the cross examination) will be endless.

But Erokoro opposed him arguing that there is no law that limits the number of counsel that a party can use in a case. He argued that it is for the very reason that a counsel may get tired that the law allows a party to a case to have many counsel.

Erokoro described the request by the prosecution that the defence should end its cross examination of the first prosecution witness today as absurd stressing that they will not allow themselves to be rushed.

“We are going to take our time and do the case properly. We will not be rushed; we will not be stampeded. If the prosecution doesn’t like it, he should withdraw some of the exhibits. We are going to take the court through all the exhibits,” said Erokoro.

In reply, Jacobs said his point is that the defendants cannot have several voices at the same time, over the same case and the same witness.

“For cross examination of witness, he is entitled to one counsel to examine the witness, not to list several and say they should be taking it one by one. The defendant’s right to a counsel is guaranteed by the Constitution. He can have several counsel, but not all of them will speak at the same time. That’s why we have lead counsel. They can have several lawyers. That’s why they have 90, but only one voice. So, the lead counsel who has started the cross examination is bound to conduct his case.

“The reason why I am raising it is that we have already spent five days. The court is entitled to regulate its procedure. You are only entitled to a voice to cross examine a witness. Not four voices,” he added while noting that Erokoro will be the third defence counsel that will be taking part in the cross examination of the first prosecution witness, if allowed.

When Mr. Umar asked Paul Usoro who was doing the cross examination why he cannot continue, the Senior Advocate of Nigeria said the lead counsel can decide who should do the cross examination.

He added that the defence team is not saying they will all speak at the same time.

In his short ruling, Mr Umar said the defence team has the discretion to conduct the defence in a way it deems fit. He also added that the tribunal is bound to give every opportunity to the defendant to defend himself and the court cannot stop him.

Meanwhile, the trial has continued with the cross examination of the of the first prosecution witness by Erokoro.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/05/10/sarakis-90-lawyers-cause-confusion-in-court/
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by TippyTop(m): 1:55pm On May 10, 2016
Question: How many Lawyers represented Tinubu during his own trial?

send answers to 419@Bourdillon.org

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Juxtified(m): 2:00pm On May 10, 2016
Pardon my ignorance, but I have always wondered why any one would need more than 3-5 lawyers in court for a single case?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by 9jatriot(m): 2:16pm On May 10, 2016
To increase the bill of your client.
Juxtified:
Pardon my ignorance, but I have always wondered why any one would need more than 3-5 lawyers in court for a single case?

2 Likes

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by wowmenow: 2:21pm On May 10, 2016
its better to use 90 lawyers peacefully
than using army to kill shites muslim

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by seumma(f): 4:40pm On May 10, 2016
If he is not guilty what does he need 90 lawyers to defend

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by dunkem21(m): 4:40pm On May 10, 2016
Ninety Lawyers can't be wrong grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Okijajuju1(m): 4:41pm On May 10, 2016
Even if Jesus sef follow for those 90 Lawyers, SARAKI must collect 1 room self Contain for Kuje this year.. angry

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by FlatheadCoward: 4:41pm On May 10, 2016
Ibos will soon come to defend Kwarrupt Fulani politician. See them saying Saraki na their Jesus.

How many Igbos does it take to shine Fulani shoes?

29 Likes

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 10, 2016
Ok

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Sunnycliff(m): 4:42pm On May 10, 2016
Mehn! I need this kind jazz to command 90 lawyers at a go!
Saraki saying NEVER OVER UNTIL ITS OVER!!!
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Peacetemi: 4:42pm On May 10, 2016
90 lawyers wont save you Sir. THIS IS YOUR HOME SWEET HOME. ENJOY

14 Likes

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by AlexCk: 4:42pm On May 10, 2016
90lawyers?? ,
Is that really possible? ?, im no lawyer but that's weird. It's like he's doing everything to hide something bad/despicable . My thoughts tho, i cud be wrong.

1 Like

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by LocalChamp: 4:42pm On May 10, 2016
SARAKI, THE FACE OF CORRUPTION

13 Likes

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by DONADAMS(m): 4:43pm On May 10, 2016
90 liarsnaija i salute!!!

3 Likes

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by bluntspade: 4:43pm On May 10, 2016
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Mutuwa(m): 4:43pm On May 10, 2016
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Surfboard(m): 4:43pm On May 10, 2016
How do they even announce the appearance of all the 90 lawyers? Must really take a lot of time doing just that.
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 10, 2016
Hmmmm

2 Likes

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by theophorus(m): 4:44pm On May 10, 2016
C
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by skelewu404(m): 4:44pm On May 10, 2016
Charge n bail people too like money
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by oshe11: 4:45pm On May 10, 2016
like seriously!

I'm tired of all dese Fracas, if U wana jail him pls do, if nt den let him be n spell alla us dis charades!

I reali nid to travel frm dis con3 to Abuja
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Hillzy(m): 4:45pm On May 10, 2016
Saratiff all dis guyz layers na criminal like u dem won just collect their own share for all d moni way u don tiff, cos last last na kuje u go still end

1 Like

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Vidamia(m): 4:45pm On May 10, 2016
90 lawyers!!!!....I'm sure saraki have more than sufficient cockroaches in his cupboard

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Surfboard(m): 4:46pm On May 10, 2016
Juxtified:

A person can hire as many lawyers as he likes as long as he has the money to pay.
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by EmperorWIZLAD(m): 4:47pm On May 10, 2016
Okijajuju1:
Even if Jesus sef follow for those 90 Lawyers, SARAKI must collect 1 room self Contain for Kuje this year.. angry

nwane, wake up, SARAKI is going no whr. I cn bet my Ex babe on top
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 10, 2016
Saraki and the 90 thieves

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by theophorus(m): 4:49pm On May 10, 2016
The law is really an ASS...
Why will '20' SAN cross-examine just one person. Them wan kill am.
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by BCJAY(f): 4:50pm On May 10, 2016
That. is absurd when common man is Stiil struggling to get one which way to this case
Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Surfboard(m): 4:50pm On May 10, 2016
AlexCk:
90lawyers?? ,
Is that really possible? ?, im no lawyer but that's weird. It's like he's doing everything to hide something bad/despicable . My thoughts tho, i cud be wrong.

The amount of lawyers you hire doesn't make you guilty or not. It's ignorant thinking to think that he has something to hide cause he hired 90 lawyers. Will you say that someone who can't afford to hire a lawyer has nothing to hide?

All the hiring of 90 lawyers shows is that he wants the best hands working on his case. He has a right to that, just like you do.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Yikpata1(m): 4:52pm On May 10, 2016
If you're a lawyer you be happy that the money is going round.

90 lawyers is very OK because the stolen wealth is coming back to 90 families indirectly.

I comment my reserve!

5 Likes

Re: Saraki’s 90 Lawyers Cause Confusion In Court by Okijajuju1(m): 4:52pm On May 10, 2016
EmperorWIZLAD:

nwane, wake up, SARAKI is going no whr. I cn bet my Ex babe on top

She fine?

Because make I know which of my ex-babes I go use bet you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

El-Rufai: Only Buni Knows Why Fani-Kayode Was Allowed Into APC / Kano Residents Attack Protesting Shiites (Pics) / Ban Ki-Moon Wears Agbada (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.