Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,143 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W (13506 Views)

Unboxing The Gionee M6… What A Powerful Piece Of Magic! / Unboxing The Gionee F103pro (pictures) / My Experience Using Tecno Tecno W4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Orator2383: 10:18am On May 11, 2016
I have had the opportunity to play with these two affordable phones, they have some similar specs but the Tecno W4 is better in some aspects. The Gionee P5w is a low end device with a 5.0 inch HD IPS screen 1GB RAM and 16GB internal memory and runs android 5.0 lollipop out of the box. Tecno W4 on the other hands runs the latest user-interface from Tecno; HiOS and android 6.0 marshmallow out of the box. It has a 5.0 inch HD IPS screen, 1GB RAM and 16GB of internal memory which can be extended to 64GB. I will give some reasons here why I prefer the Tecno W4 over the Gionee P5w.

Good Looking design
The form factor of the tecno w4 is definitely one of the things I will consider if I am to buy any of the two devices though the P5W is not bad . Tecno W4's design is beautifully crafted with a metallic stripes around the edges. Though the material used is plastic it appears so premium when looking at it and thinner than the P5W

Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Tecno W4 comes with android 6.0 marshmallow which is the latest android operating system now. It’s also among the privileged Tecno devices to use the new user interface from Tecno

Larger Battery
Good battery life is very important why choosing a phone to buy. The Tecno W4 has a 2500mah battery compared to the P5W’s 2000mAh. In fact many people who bought the P5W are complaining about the poor battery life. The most frustrating being that it charges very slow and drains faster. Though at 2000mAh you shouldn’t expect much from it. From my searches online and the feedback from users of the Tecno W4, It seems the Tecno W4 battery life is quite good. Android marshmallow has far better battery saving features than older version of android operating system.

Better UI (HiOS Vs Amigo)
HiOS is a very new android user interface from Tecno Mobile why Amigo UI has been around for some time now. I had used the Gionee M3 and a friend of mine owns the Gionee M5, one song everyone seems to be singing is that the Amigo UI is laggy and about 90% of the people using Gionee’s devices installed third party launchers on their Gionee phones because the UI is not smooth and fast.

The HiOS is still very new in the market and maybe now is not the right time to rate its performance. But from my impression of the Tecno Boom J8, the HiOS is very sleek and fast compared to the amigo UI

Better Camera
While the rear camera on the Tecno W4 is an 8MP shooter, the P5W has a 5MP. The rear camera on the Tecno W4 is definitely better and these are some samples of the camera I got from a friend of mine

Finally the two phones are very affordable, why the Gionee P5w is selling for N26, 900, the Tecno W4 is retailing for N22, 700. So if you look at the two devices, Tecno W4 with its various features offers more value for money, better battery life, better software and better camera.

Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by osenbarak: 11:20am On May 11, 2016
Orator2383:

I have had the opportunity to play with these two affordable phones, they have some similar specs but the Tecno W4 is better in some aspects. The Gionee P5w is a low end device with a 5.0 inch HD IPS screen 1GB RAM and 16GB internal memory and runs android 5.0 lollipop out of the box. Tecno W4 on the other hands runs the latest user-interface from Tecno; HiOS and android 6.0 marshmallow out of the box. It has a 5.0 inch HD IPS screen, 1GB RAM and 16GB of internal memory which can be extended to 64GB. I will give some reasons here why I prefer the Tecno W4 over the Gionee P5w.

Good Looking design
The form factor of the tecno w4 is definitely one of the things I will consider if I am to buy any of the two devices though the P5W is not bad . Tecno W4's design is beautifully crafted with a metallic stripes around the edges. Though the material used is plastic it appears so premium when looking at it and thinner than the P5W

Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Tecno W4 comes with android 6.0 marshmallow which is the latest android operating system now. It’s also among the privileged Tecno devices to use the new user interface from Tecno

Larger Battery
Good battery life is very important why choosing a phone to buy. The Tecno W4 has a 2500mah battery compared to the P5W’s 2000mAh. In fact many people who bought the P5W are complaining about the poor battery life. The most frustrating being that it charges very slow and drains faster. Though at 2000mAh you shouldn’t expect much from it. From my searches online and the feedback from users of the Tecno W4, It seems the Tecno W4 battery life is quite good. Android marshmallow has far better battery saving features than older version of android operating system.

HiOS is a very new android user interface from Tecno Mobile why Amigo UI has been around for some time now. I had used the Gionee M3 and a friend of mine owns the Gionee M5, one song everyone seems to be singing is that the Amigo UI is laggy and about 90% of the people using Gionee’s devices installed third party launchers on their Gionee phones because the UI is not smooth and fast.

The HiOS is still very new in the market and maybe now is not the right time to rate its performance. But from my impression of the Tecno Boom J8, the HiOS is very sleek and fast compared to the amigo UI

Better Camera
While the rear camera on the Tecno W4 is an 8MP shooter, the P5W has a 5MP. The rear camera on the Tecno W4 is definitely better and these are some samples of the camera I got from a friend of mine

Finally the two phones are very affordable, why the Gionee P5w is selling for N26, 900, the Tecno W4 is retailing for N22, 700. So if you look at the two devices, Tecno W4 with its various features offers more value for money, better battery life, better software and better camera.

the w4 is a great low end device nice
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by BluePearls(m): 11:50am On May 11, 2016
OP are you sure that picture sample is coming from a Tecno W4? It looks too nice to be coming frm a budget phone.

I take that back. grin
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Reeberry: 11:54am On May 11, 2016
BluePearls:
OP are you that picture sample is coming from a Tecno W4? It looks too nice to be coming frm a budget phone.
That camera isn't sharp at all. Too dull.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by BluePearls(m): 11:56am On May 11, 2016
Reeberry:

That camera isn't sharp at all. Too dull.

My brother, after posting that, I took a closer look and was greatly disappointed grin
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by AnnabelR0se(f): 12:22pm On May 11, 2016
The camera is clear enough but i think is noisy too , it's an affordable device though with cool themes
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by saxby(f): 12:24pm On May 11, 2016
Good comparison.

Just as all fingers aren't equal so are our pockets.

I think the w4 helps a lot in giving some people chance.
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Orator2383: 1:36pm On May 11, 2016
AnnabelR0se:
The camera is clear enough but i think is noisy too , it's an affordable device though with cool themes
more sample

Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by AnnabelR0se(f): 3:14pm On May 11, 2016
Orator2383:
more sample
The rear camera is ok but the front is not that good but it's a good phone overall
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by burstie: 3:35pm On May 11, 2016
Abeg which one be Gionee. Talk about phones please.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by AnnabelR0se(f): 3:45pm On May 11, 2016
burstie:
Lol
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by situationary: 4:59pm On May 11, 2016
burstie:
I support you jare.
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Boyembo(m): 5:07pm On May 11, 2016
tecno marketer....u don abandon ur boom j8 thread.....if tecno na beta fone...it should have foreign reviews....naija...tecnos dustbin

1 Like

Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by AnnabelR0se(f): 5:19pm On May 11, 2016
Boyembo:
tecno marketer....u don abandon ur boom j8 thread.....if tecno na beta fone...it should have foreign reviews....naija...tecnos dustbin
What do you mean by foreign news ? Tecno is a brand sold in Africa .So news from Ghana , kenya is not foreign

1 Like

Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Orator2383: 5:23pm On May 11, 2016
AnnabelR0se:
What do you mean by foreign news ? Tecno is a brand sold in Africa .So news from Ghana , kenya is not foreign
lol don't mind him . what does foreign news get to do with beta thing. Because solo phone dey GSM Arena doesn't make it a good phone.
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by annacheem: 5:34pm On May 11, 2016
Orator2383:

Good Looking design

Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Larger Battery

Better Camera

nice review
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by osenbarak: 5:35pm On May 11, 2016
Orator2383:

Good Looking design

Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Larger Battery

Better Camera

i like ur review
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Xhaka(m): 6:02pm On May 11, 2016
W4 over P5 embarassed
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by kolexepana: 6:08pm On May 11, 2016
Xhaka:
W4 over P5 embarassed
Anyday anytime grin
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Boyembo(m): 6:47pm On May 11, 2016
made for africa......clicking on ur monikers...all i see is tecno shit............w4 ke...y4 ni.....cant u give a review of a phone without quoting samsung;gionee or iphone.....u don play with all phones.....i jst dey follow ur moniker and post.....

1 Like

Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Babanhajiya(m): 7:33pm On May 11, 2016
I expect Gionee e warriors to counter this thread
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by xxxtedyxxx(m): 8:01pm On May 11, 2016
Another yeye tecno clown. Your post is filled with lies and unnecessary hype of the y4. I wonder why tecno advocates cant take a chill pill and let their phones speak for itself. You dont have to hype this poo of a y4 compared to the gionee.
What happened to putting out honest reviews?. Review the y4 on its own and stop comparing it to other phones. Just recently, another tecno clown was comparing boom j8 to iphone 6s...na wa oh

I tire for una.

How many people have u seen complaining about their gionee p5w ba3? This whole trash u typed invariably shows u havent handled the gionnee p5w before.

Learn correct marketing and quit this rubbbish attempt u call review.

Best calculator..biom j8, best mobile browser boom j8, best screen boom j8..lols. Yeye people.

5 Likes

Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by xtervaganza(m): 8:45pm On May 11, 2016
burstie:
just say you work for tecno

Gionee still makes better phones than tecno

So shut up

8 Likes

Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by MizMyColi(f): 11:06pm On May 11, 2016
I don't understand why there are so many angry people on this thread.

I never believed that Gionee could ever produce a 2500mAh battery, how much more 2000mAh.

Secondly, I thought it's only Tecno devices that runs on 1GB RAM.

Even on GSM Arena, we have seen a lot of ph comparisons go down, so why is somebody up there angry that two phones are being compared.

That said,
@Orator2383...

You did not mention the price for both devices.
Please you need to do so.

I know that W4 goes for 23k or so.
I don't know about P5w.
If the price range is around 15 - 18k, then this your review was never worth it to begin with.
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Gptech(m): 11:57pm On May 11, 2016
MizMyColi:

I don't know about P5w.
If the price range is around 15 - 18k, then this your review was never worth it to begin with.
'Gionee P5w is selling for N26, 900, the Tecno W4 is retailing for N22, 700', the OP said that, meaning the comparism is on point.
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by MizMyColi(f): 6:52am On May 12, 2016
Gptech:

'Gionee P5w is selling for N26, 900, the Tecno W4 is retailing for N22, 700', the OP said that, meaning the comparism is on point.

Azzin Eh.
If you are not aware of reality, some people can help you distort it.

I checked out the so called Gionee P5w on GSM Arena.
Very poor user opinions. Very very poor.

And here I was thinking that for your brand to be featured on GSM Arena, then it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I for one appreciate Gionee.
But as far as this W4 from Tecno is concerned...
All I can say to Gionee and Infinix warlords is, if you live in a glass house, do not throw stones.
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Youngpo413: 8:10am On May 12, 2016
MizMyColi:
I don't understand why there are so many angry people on this thread.

I never believed that Gionee could ever produce a 2500mAh battery, how much more 2000mAh.

Secondly, I thought it's only Tecno devices that runs on 1GB RAM.

Even on GSM Arena, we have seen a lot of ph comparisons go down, so why is somebody up there angry that two phones are being compared.

That said,
@Orator2383...

You did not mention the price for both devices.
Please you need to do so.

I don't know about P5w.
even you too? How much are you paid?
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Youngpo413: 8:19am On May 12, 2016
Making noises with mediaTek smartphones, assuming you guys are using my Galaxy A8,nobody for hear word for nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by MizMyColi(f): 8:26am On May 12, 2016
Youngpo413:
even you too? How much are you paid?

I'm a millionaire as we speak.
gringringrin

Thanks to Tecno, I have built a one winged duplex, lots of landed properties and what have you?

Yes, they gave me all these because I happen to own one of their products and due to how well it serves me, I speak well of the phone online.
Dude, if you have nothing to counter or support the post you quoted, Scram pleasesmiley

In your deluded world, anyone who speaks in favour of Tecno must be branded a " Paid Tekino Marketer"
Even when the truth speaks for itself on this thread.
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by Youngpo413: 8:31am On May 12, 2016
MizMyColi:

gringringrin

Thanks to Tecno, I have built a one winged duplex, lots of landed properties and what have you?

Yes, they gave me all these because I happen to own one of their products and due to how well it serves me, I speak well of the phone online.
Dude, if you have nothing to counter or support the post you quoted, Scram pleasesmiley

In your deluded world, anyone who speaks in favour of Tecno must be branded a " Paid Tekino Marketer"
Mizmycoli, you are one of the few ladies I respected most on nairaland, so you win.
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by MizMyColi(f): 8:47am On May 12, 2016
Youngpo413:
Mizmycoli, you are one of the few ladies I respected most on nairaland, so you win.

In my life, I hate wanton pride.
I hate it when people talk others down because they feel they are better or own more posher things.

Was Samsung built in a day?
Was Apple and co built in a day?

Was Qualcomm and Nivda abi Tegra built in a day?

The reality is that the Mediatek which most of you love to hate is here to stay.
It has empowered many people and while most of you won't agree, they are getting better at what they do even though they remain a fabless company.

They complain of overheating....
I don't experience that on W4.
They say Mediatek uses a third party supplier (mali) for its graphics needs...the screen resolution of this my Tecno W4 is a beauty to behold for 23 thousand naira.

Now the truth of the matter is that Snapdragon chipsets remains light years ahead the likes of Intel Atom and Mediatek.

But that notwithstanding, Mediatek is making giant strides too. Lots of Nigerians who would never have experienced what marshmallow or an HD IPS touchscreen is can now do so for 23k.
It's something worth celebrating.

If I don't use this phone...
I would never, ever be this bold about it. If the phone does not serve me well, my conscience will not allow me speak in it's favour.

Have I noticed some flaws?
Yes.
Number 1 is my VLC player.
My LG G3 vigor can run subtitles on VLC, but not my Tecno W4. This is a major ish for me, because I dig movies a lot.

But then, I'm not bothered because, after all is said and done, the phone still gives me more value for less.

Btw, sorry about my belligerent disposition earlier. I'm just fed up of people who hate on this device when they've not even seen its pouch, talkleSs of the phone, inugo?wink
Re: My Take On Tecno W4 And The Gionee P5W by JoeBlocks(m): 8:48am On May 12, 2016
MizMyColi:

gringringrin

Aha! I've always suspected you still have it in you. grin I'm just sad that I never got to... You know, before you tied the knot. cry sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

20 Mind Blowing Facts About Your Smartphones. / How Much Data Did You Use On Your Phone In May 2017? / Download Startimes App – Watch Over 100+ Free Channels With Startimes Mobile App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.