Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,299 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

The Surprising Truth About Women And Violence (vis-a-vis The Family Domain).... - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Surprising Truth About Women And Violence (vis-a-vis The Family Domain).... (663 Views)

They Leave Me The Moment I Tell Them My Story. Should I Hide The Truth? / Early marriage advantages {for Women And Men} Must Read / See The Family Portrait Which Has Gone Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Surprising Truth About Women And Violence (vis-a-vis The Family Domain).... by johnson232: 8:47pm On May 11, 2016
Before you come on here and start screaming misogyny, first peruse this article with unadulterated concentration, vis-a-vis the family domain.

Research showing that women are often aggressors in domestic violence has been causing controversy for almost 40 years, ever since the 1975 National Family Violence Survey by sociologists Murray Straus and Richard Gelles of the Family Research Laboratory at the University of New Hampshire found that women were just as likely as men to report hitting a spouse and men were just as likely as women to report getting hit. The researchers initially assumed that, at least in cases of mutual violence, the women were defending themselves or retaliating. But when subsequent surveys asked who struck first, it turned out that women were as likely as men to initiate violence—a finding confirmed by more than 200 studies of intimate violence. In a 2010 review essay in the journal Partner Abuse, Straus concludes that women’s motives for domestic violence are often similar to men’s, ranging from anger to coercive control.

Violence by women causes less harm due to obvious differences in size and strength, but it is by no means harmless. Women may use weapons, from knives to household objects—including highly dangerous ones such as boiling water—to neutralize their disadvantage, and men may be held back by cultural prohibitions on using force toward a woman even in self-defense. In his 2010 review, Straus concludes that in various studies, men account for 12% to 40% of those injured in heterosexual couple violence. Men also make up about 30% of intimate homicide victims—not counting cases in which women kill in self-defense. And women are at least as likely as men to kill their children—more so if one counts killings of newborns—and account formore than half of child maltreatment perpetrators..

Let’s put this into perspective: a significant amount of the findings regarding male-as-victim intimate partner violence came about as the result of studies and surveys that were aimed at understanding domestic violence against women. These are not studies conducted by rabid anti-women men’s groups or right-wing think tanks. They were conducted by organizations like the Centers for Disease Control, National Institutes of Health, the American Sociological Association, Psychology of Women Quarterly and the American Journal of Public Health, to name a few.

And yet, these numbers prompt a resounding backlash. Accusations such as “You’re saying abused women are asking for it,” or “You’re blaming the victim,” get hurled. No person — female or male — is asking for it, and no victim — female or male — should be blamed for what is done to them.

If we are serious about addressing domestic violence, then we must deal with all of the incarnations of the realities of domestic violence.

Mixed messages:
Is a woman ever responsible for a physical altercation that takes place between her and her male partner? Does a man ever have the right to tell a woman to not put her hands on him and expect her to respect that? Does a man ever have the right to retaliate?

.......OPINION SOCIETY…...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Surprising Truth About Women And Violence (vis-a-vis The Family Domain).... by Nobody: 5:52am On May 12, 2016
hmmm..
i can still see misogyny all over this thread, op is trying to hide it...
Re: The Surprising Truth About Women And Violence (vis-a-vis The Family Domain).... by DollyParton1(f): 8:13am On May 12, 2016
Seriously I don't understand the motive behind this thread. It is just what it is..... Misogyny!!!
Re: The Surprising Truth About Women And Violence (vis-a-vis The Family Domain).... by Barryton: 8:08pm On May 12, 2016
DollyParton1:
Seriously I don't understand the motive behind this thread. It is just what it is..... Misogyny!!!
u couldn't have said it better.
i have been on this thread for some minutes, and all i see is misogyny. how come women are now suddenly the ones responsible for domestic violence?

the op is not even limiting it to the family, but violence in general!

op's misogyny is something else.

i have seen some of his posts. too many misogynist these days on NL, hence the increase in domestic violence.

2 Likes

Re: The Surprising Truth About Women And Violence (vis-a-vis The Family Domain).... by misreal(m): 9:13pm On May 12, 2016
op has a point.just because a woman was beaten by her husband doesnt mean he started the fight.some women are quick to slap their husbands,forgetting that men are naturally stronger..not supporting violence but i have seen severally were it was the women who started the fight,and when it turns out bad,she cried foul play...a man who beats up his wife without or with little provocation is an animal,but to say that all domestic violence is the man's fault is utter foolishness...

2 Likes

Re: The Surprising Truth About Women And Violence (vis-a-vis The Family Domain).... by snakebeat: 10:06pm On May 12, 2016
those of u saying the thread is all about misogyny didnt take time to read this article. the op is trying to reveal the unspoken truth about domestic violence.
Re: The Surprising Truth About Women And Violence (vis-a-vis The Family Domain).... by snakebeat: 10:10pm On May 12, 2016
DollyParton1:
the op has a point.
these days, alot of women instigate domestic violence and expect the society to heap all the blame on the man. dont u think women knowing that they wont be blame for their actions subtly promotes domestic violence?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

deleted / Hilarious recession MEMO By A Dad. / Woman Runs Mad When She Discovers Her Husband Is A Dead Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.