Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook (33312 Views)

Osula Daniel Enahoro, DELSU Student, Arrested / UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC / Last Instagram Post Of UNILAG Student Who Died After An Outing With Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by SerialDigits(m): 7:57am On May 12, 2016
grin this could only be found in Nigeria Universities... I hope very soon they won't infiltrate social media bill on u guys...
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by olagamalin(m): 7:57am On May 12, 2016
At best, what Dolapo did ...in its worst form ...Is merely a case of libel (which has several defences...knit that's an issue for another day). Several comments have been talking about "threat" "death" "crime", hence it appears most people do not really understand the difference between a tort and a crime. Dolapo's amounts to a civil wrong ...and that's still taking it by a stretch.

You cannot invite the police of matters of defamation i.e libel in this case. You cannot just arrest the poor boy and clamp him in prison just 2days to his human rights examination.

What's more, Dolapo reposted this said "caricature picture" that was trending in the heat of the unilag protest especially after the aftermath of the channels tv interview Dr Karo gave, where he totally misinformed the public on the state of affairs. So to everyone crying "threat" ....Dr Karo can as well set out to arrest students who posted this same picture on Facebook. He shouldn't stop at that, he just realise the Twitter trends are far worse. He cannot just make a scapegoat of the boy when the issue of protest have been laid to rest.

And if y'all remain adamant that the poor boy committed a despicable crime ....kindly point the section of the criminal code that explicitly provides for this. The provisions of Section 36(12) CFRN cannot be more clear on emphasizing the essence of a written law to say what constitutes a crime. The case of Aoko v Fagbemi lay credence to this trite principle of law. The management of Unilag cannot just wait and tag it a crime. Unless we wait for saraki's social media bill.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by olagamalin(m): 7:59am On May 12, 2016
Closetoheart:
Let's look at it this way: Can an employee post or repost this picture using his employer
This is very wrong on all levels
My question is .....Is it a CRIME??.... We need to stamp out the attitude of using the machinery of Nigerian police to settle civil wrongs.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Fash20: 8:02am On May 12, 2016
The Guy bleeped up big time. Why threatening a senior staff. WTF
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Laredojohn(m): 8:02am On May 12, 2016
Back then, the management no soo nice, they frown at students in anything, if I may ask for what purpose is this on fb, the student has bitten more than he can chew, others are writing exams, he is suffering this alone, the same way every citizen can claim threat to his life, is the same way the lecturer has did, they should have just allowed him finish his exams
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Kobicove(m): 9:04am On May 12, 2016
The student is an idiot and he crossed his boundry.

I find it amazing how people can be so irresponsible on the internet just because of the anonymity it provides.

Would he dare call the lecturer a "dead rat" to his face?

He needs to stew in the police cell for the entire duration of the exams so he will learn some valuable lessons!!!

The fact that you are young and carefree does not give you the right to think you can misbehave and get away with it angry
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:13am On May 12, 2016
mordtonia:
Even the President of Nigeria is mocked online daily with hilarious memes and no one has been arrested for it.
Lecturers acting like gods since 1537.
Be sincere, if they do that to you or any of your family, how would you feel. Words can kill someone. I knew someone that ran mad just because of false allegation. Let us mind our choice of words. This should serve as a detternt to other students. But they should release him and let him finish is exam.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:24am On May 12, 2016
Niyil:
To be honest what the boy did is so wrong,it should serve as a lesson to other young students like him that freedom after speech is no longer guaranteed in Nigeria.
Not only in Nigeria, even in the world.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Bollinger(m): 9:32am On May 12, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

threat to life is a criminal offense that's why it's prosecuted by the state and not the individual involve. the victim only serve as witness.
NB: I have no take on the issue at hand, it's between a foolish law student and a tyrannical school officer.

Where is the threat to life in that meme?
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by jahsharon: 9:44am On May 12, 2016
dominique:
He posted a subtle threat next to the picture yet he expects to walk freely and write exams. He deserves to be expelled and arrested. Some of these children don't know the gravity of their actions.

I think you are very very right. But, please kindly go to Students' Union Building at Unilag and shout this gospel of yours. Thereafter come and show us your current picture.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Nobody: 10:04am On May 12, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Be sincere, if they do that to you or any of your family, how would you feel. Words can kill someone. I knew someone that ran mad just because of false allegation. Let us mind our choice of words. This should serve as a detternt to other students. But they should release him and let him finish is exam.

Arresting him is a step too far.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by obstead200(m): 10:30am On May 12, 2016
DivaFiva:

I wonder how freedom of speech works...Hmmm
Technically u are right. The student is st.upid. But his offence does not require him to be jailed. He should have simply been placed on a security watch list
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by playtheblues(f): 10:36am On May 12, 2016
That's electronic evidence.

Too bad for him.

He will be charged for libel and threat to life.

OlujobaSamuel:

it's even worse than libel ny bro, to put it aptly "I will kill you like a rat", that's what he wrote. Uttering it in words without records or witness could have been better, but typing it out on his image, opening facebook app, uploading the picture? hmmmmmmmmm, he no normal.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:59am On May 12, 2016
mordtonia:

Arresting him is a step too far.
Yes. You are right. The police should give him a warning or better still he should sign an undertaken.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Nobody: 11:12am On May 12, 2016
dominique:
He posted a subtle threat next to the picture yet he expects to walk freely and write exams. He deserves to be expelled and arrested. Some of these children don't know the gravity of their actions.

How is this a subtle threat? By the way who plans murder aloud?

We see memes of Buhari , Obama and other highly placed individuals everyday on the Internet and yet no one is arrested for doing such.

The man did something terrible now he is scared of just a meme, the real deal is coming, arresting this kid will only make things worse.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by OlujobaSamuel: 12:34pm On May 12, 2016
playtheblues:
That's electronic evidence.

Too bad for him.

He will be charged for libel and threat to life.

abi oo, some peeps are even asking for the threat in that pix, na until the man die dem go know sey na threat
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by playtheblues(f): 12:40pm On May 12, 2016
You dey mind dem?

OlujobaSamuel:

abi oo, some peeps are even asking for the threat in that pix, na until the man die dem go know sey na threat
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by josite: 2:40pm On May 12, 2016
karo is my friend.he is a nice guy.a union activist.wish someone can give me his gsm.will talk to him most urgently .im sure something is wrong somewhere.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Lordnewton1(m): 2:55pm On May 12, 2016
Am going to protest to the DSA's office...who's coming? angry
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 12, 2016
menstrualpad:

Somorin don't engage me.

Of course, why would he?

Even if you put on skirt and pumps I still won't engage you grin

But I noticed that I hurt you deeply as you went trolling through old posts. Don't worry you are one of many that I've wounded on here cheesy

Go walk it off and stop sulking like a baby. Man up.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 12, 2016
Iefosa:

How is this a subtle threat? By the way who plans murder aloud?

We see memes of Buhari , Obama and other highly placed individuals everyday on the Internet and yet no one is arrested for doing such.

The man did something terrible now he is scared of just a meme, the real deal is coming, arresting this kid will only make things worse.

Go ahead and threaten the life of a US President and you'll have Secret Service on your doorstep and yes they are in Nigeria. They investigate EVERY threat.

Stop saying stuff you don't know.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by menstrualpad: 4:07pm On May 12, 2016
Anigilaje maa je ki nsoro o... cupboodi mi olaso o oro lowa ninu e.
EgunMogaji:

Of course, why would he?

Even if you put on skirt and pumps I still won't engage you grin

But I noticed that I hurt you deeply as you went trolling through old posts. Don't worry you are one of many that I've wounded on here cheesy

Go walk it off and stop sulking like a baby. Man up.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 12, 2016
menstrualpad:
Anigilaje maa je ki nsoro o... cupboodi mi olaso o oro lowa ninu e.

Yeah, you need to remove that your menstrual pad from the wrong orifice so you can open your mouth.

Omode omo ogun, onpe lefo.

Oya, si ile kun oro grin

Awon to ju elo, tiwon ni lakaye juelo ti danwo, won de ti rin wo igbo lo.
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by lovemaths(f): 5:56pm On May 12, 2016
Where are the name checkers?
Because na Yoruba abi?
We never disrespected our staff in this manner even with our free wi-fi on campus at UNN back in the days. What happened to respect for elders?
Re: UNILAG Student Arrested For Posting A Senior Staff's Photo On Facebook by menstrualpad: 6:18pm On May 12, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Yeah, you need to remove that your menstrual pad from the wrong orifice so you can open your mouth.

Omode omo ogun, onpe lefo.

Oya, si ile kun oro grin

Awon to ju elo, tiwon ni lakaye juelo ti danwo, won de ti rin wo igbo lo.
Na lie Na your Bentley I go enter drive comot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

OAU Students Were Angry At Prof. Osinbajo, Ask Him To Apologise / University Of Ilorin Is A Terrorist Organisation - ASUU / 6 Sets Of Friends We All Had In Secondary School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.