Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,269 members, 7,839,351 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} (20826 Views)

The Catholic Church May Be Right About Purgatory After All:near Death Experience / Is purgatory real? / Is Purgatory In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 12:04pm On May 14, 2016
postmann:

grin
You're right. We have people who are more faithful to their denominations than they are to CHRIST.
Very true. My Bible is my denomination, you don't speak it, you don't have me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 12:22pm On May 14, 2016
postmann:

You might want to spare me those fallacious claims. The Catholic Church was just the first organised church associated with the Roman government. If you read your bible well, you'd see clearly that Apostle Paul set up many small churches across Asia and Greece and appointed leaders therein. These Churches existed long before the catholic church. And Rome was still a pagan nation then.

educate me about the "unofficial churches" .
you people never cease to amaze me.

all the hate and the church still has nore faithfuls than all your denominations put together.

remember what Jesus said,nothing shall prevail against it.
not even the trying 16th century when the devil entered the church,and through the best way to destroy it was from within.

anyway educate me still. am always open to new ideas.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joseph1832(m): 12:29pm On May 14, 2016
analice107:

Very true. My Bible is my denomination, you don't speak it, you don't have me.
Have you read my letter to nigerian women? grin
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 12:33pm On May 14, 2016
I took my time to read your very long post and also followed thought some people's view against purgatory. I was just laughing because it's funny to me especially when the OP said no bashing. That makes sense!

However, purgatory is not real and does not exist, and never will because it is not scriptural. I like to take my arguments too the bible because I know that by God's grace no man can fool me therein.

The bible says study to show yourself approved. If you are well studied and have gift of revelations understanding no man can twist the bible to fool you.

1 Like

Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 12:45pm On May 14, 2016
laribari:

I took my time to read your very long post and also followed thought some people's view against purgatory. I was just laughing because it's funny to me especially when the OP said no bashing. That makes sense!

However, purgatory is not real and does not exist, and never will because it is not scriptural. I like to take my arguments too the bible because I know that by God's grace no man can fool me therein.

The bible says study to show yourself approved. If you are well studied and have gift of revelations understanding no man can twist the bible to fool you.
lol we no dey bash abeg oh.
just pointing facts and counter facts.

well cool though.. at least you read through. thats more than enough. not everybody belive there is a God.
so we cool like that. cheers for stopping by.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 1:14pm On May 14, 2016
joseph1832:
Have you read my letter to nigerian women? grin
No. you didn't mention me how will i see it?
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 1:22pm On May 14, 2016
The bible clear said it is appointed unto man to die but ONCE....

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

This is the scripture that destroys any claim surrounding purgatory.

When you die once then you it is either heaven or hell and the second time man is going to be active outside heaven is going to be the 1000 years with Christ on earth where there will be no sin for that duration.

What is the need for purgatory when the bible says there is condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus. Whether your sin is big or small, it will not be counted against you because you are covered by grace.

Some people take advantage of God's grace and that is why Paul said shall we continue to live in sin so that grace may abound? Should we continue to live in sin because God will not take it against us? No, God forbid. Why is that we that are children of light act like unbelievers.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Purgatory is a catholic myth and they use it as an excuse to say we can sin and still make heaven by special cleansing, meanwhile the bible says we are no more sinner because Jesus has paid for the sin.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

When we WERE yet sinners, Christ died for us. You can see that it is in the pastence were and those in Christ today are no more considered as sinners. So Wetin u wan go do for purgatory again? That place does not even exist self and the place that came close was that place I call waiting place but the bible called it Abraham's bossom. Remember the story of Lazarus and the rich man?

Today, that place is empty and saints who died do not go there again because Jesus had taken them out.

Do you know know why people go there in the first place? Well that is because no man was righteous enough to enter heaven and those saints and even great men of God in biblical days were all there with papa Abraham because the place was beta Dan hell, since they couldn't enter heaven at the time.

When the LORD OF HOST came along after conquring death, He took all the saints with Him and headed for heaven but the angels didn't open the gate because no man could have entered into heaven. That is the psalm 24 scriptures when Jesus was talking to the gates.

Matthew 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

So Wetin you dey go do for purgatory again, even though na Abraham's bossom una dey mistake for purgatory. However, they are different because no spiritual cleansing takes place there. Only those who are saved go there before Jesus opened the gates of heaven to all saints.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 1:23pm On May 14, 2016

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

When you die once then you it is either heaven or hell and the second time man is going to be active outside heaven is going to be the 1000 years with Christ on earth where there will be no sin for that duration.

What is the need for purgatory when the bible says there is condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus. Whether your sin is big or small, it will not be counted against you because you are covered by grace.

Some people take advantage of God's grace and that is why Paul said shall we continue to live in sin so that grace may abound? Should we continue to live in sin because God will not take it against us? No, God forbid. Why is that we that are children of light act like unbelievers.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Purgatory is a catholic myth and they use it as an excuse to say we can sin and still make heaven by special cleansing, meanwhile the bible says we are no more sinner because Jesus has paid for the sin.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

When we WERE yet sinners, Christ died for us. You can see that it is in the pastence were and those in Christ today are no more considered as sinners. So Wetin u wan go do for purgatory again? That place does not even exist self and the place that came close was that place I call waiting place but the bible called it Abraham's bossom. Remember the story of Lazarus and the rich man?

Today, that place is empty and saints who died do not go there again because Jesus had taken them out.

Do you know know why people go there in the first place? Well that is because no man was righteous enough to enter heaven and those saints and even great men of God in biblical days were all there with papa Abraham because the place was beta Dan hell, since they couldn't enter heaven at the time.

When the LORD OF HOST came along after conquring death, He took all the saints with Him and headed for heaven but the angels didn't open the gate because no man could have entered into heaven. That is the psalm 24 scriptures when Jesus was talking to the gates.

Matthew 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

So Wetin you dey go do for purgatory again, even though na Abraham's bossom una dey mistake for purgatory. However, they are different because no spiritual cleansing takes place there. Only those who are saved go there before Jesus opened the gates of heaven to all saints.

There is just so much to explain but I can't keep writing, maybe if you mention, then I can respond to it.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 1:26pm On May 14, 2016

There is just so much to explain but I can't keep writing, maybe if you mention, then I can respond to it.

Let me quickly add that every man will be rewarded according to his or her work but that has nothing to do with salvation because all true believers are already saved.

But what you did on earth as a person will determine the portion of reward and type that you will get.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 1:40pm On May 14, 2016
wow bros.. your own version is a new one oh.

GRACE covers sin wether big or small..wow!!
am expecting shekau in heaven once he revives that grace.

if your theory is right then why is there hell?? everybody deserves this grace. because wether Christian or not..a bad thing is a bad thing. you cannot say because you believ in God and commited genocide that GRACE will cover you. then a peaceful pagan will go to hell.. e be like you dey confuse heaven for action film.

yes yes.. souls in purgatory are already heaven bound.. read and understand please. as nothinh without sin can eneter heaven. this souls though not sinless but thier sins are not yet unto death are set free by fire.. i have said it several times.

ahn ahm..yours is the most ridiculous i have heard. it is very flawed as sins are differnt warranting differnet punishments.
you cannot tell me wether big or small sin grace will cover it.

for your mind heaven na charity. Jesus has done it all.. nothing defiled shall enter heaven rev21:27. keep hiding under grace.

work out your salvation in fear and trembling-phillipians 2:12.. keep believing Jesus took alll your sins away,and you jusy have to wait for grace.

1corinthians 9:24 even saint paul himself was scared he might loose his soul if he dosent cooperate.

my brother wake up. i dont know how you people read your own bible .

laribari:
Let me quickly add that every man will be rewarded according to his or her work but that has nothing to do with salvation because all true believers are already saved.
But what you did on earth as a person will determine the portion of reward and type that you will get.

if your theory is right then why is there hell?? everybody deserves this grace. because wether Christian or not..a bad thing is a bad thing. you cannot say because you believ in God and commited genocide that GRACE will cover you. then a peaceful pagan will go to hell.. e be like you dey confuse heaven for action film.

yes yes.. souls in purgatory are already heaven bound.. read and understand please. as nothinh without sin can eneter heaven. this souls though not sinless but thier sins are not yet unto death are set free by fire.. i have said it several times.

ahn ahm..yours is the most ridiculous i have heard. it is very flawed as sins are differnt warranting differnet punishments.

for your mind heaven na charity. Jesus has done it all.. nothing defiled shall enter heaven rev21:27. keep hiding under grace.

work out your salvation in fear and trembling-phillipians 2:12.. keep believing Jesus took alll your sins away,and you jusy have to wait for grace.

1corinthians 9:24 even saint paul himself was scared he might loose his soul if he dosent cooperate.

Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 1:49pm On May 14, 2016
Sorry that I'm posting more than once, it's this silly network. I'm using a mobile device and it keeps failing to send.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joseph1832(m): 1:50pm On May 14, 2016
analice107:

No. you didn't mention me how will i see it?
Oh I'm not in the habit of mentioning people in my threads, except I want to humor them. grin
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 2:19pm On May 14, 2016
joey150:

You are a very big novice and also asked a stupid question abt Shekau.

Is Shekau a Christian and born again? I was talking of the saints.

With all the scriptures I put out if u don't get it then u never will.

If u can work out ur own salvation by ursef why did Jesus come to die? Didn't the bible say our righteousness is like a filthy rag? How much cleansing will u get inpurgatory and who will even cleanse you?

It is not by booast you don't know a thing abot salvation. You don't know jack!

If my theory is right then why is there hell? Everybody deserves the grace. No wonder ur pope went to mosque to pray...lol. So u think we and Muslims are on same page? Christ Jesus is the grace of God and yes everyone deserve it but it is by choice. Accept Jesus and recieve His grace.

Galatians 6:18 Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

So you are trying to work your own salvation instead of simply beliving in Jesus by faith.... Good luck with that grin.

Ephesians 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) grin

You can't even talk scriptures with me cos nor know jack and I will expose ur scriptural lapses. I'm no babe in God's word.

You are very rude saying I compare heaven with action film yet u donot know anything. I will stay within scriptures and floor you.

Philipians 2:12 .......talking about fear and trembling. Normally, many Christians do not serve God with fear, yet these are Christians.he is saying
DOnt do eye service because I'm with you but also in my absence too, make sure you are doing the same service with the fear of God.

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

According to you....souls in purgatory are already heaven bound, then why God there again? Didn't Jesus say we are already sitting in heavenly places with christ?

Ephesians 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

As for Grace, it is by faith that it should be of Grace according to the bible

His blood has already cleansed those who believe in Jesus and confess Him as Lord.

I do not talk theory like you based on logic reason, instead I state biblical truth.]

You think you know it all, you don jam today. Bring up any scripture let me school you.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Syncan(m): 3:01pm On May 14, 2016
Well done joey150 for your calmness and insightful responses. It is like the seed sown, to some it is on fertile ground, a call to thoughts, search and prayers, but to others....na waste.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 3:36pm On May 14, 2016
Syncan:
Well done joey150 for your calmness and insightful responses. It is like the seed sown, to some it is on fertile ground, a call to thoughts, search and prayers, but to others....na waste.

Which seed? Make you point known based on scriptures. Prove me wrong based on scriptures. Decieve yourself.

The things of God are foolishness to the wise according to the bible.

Even devil nor dey soul seed? It depends on the seed u are talking about.

With everything I have proven from scriptures, it will become wasteful to fools.

You can bail him out

2 Likes

Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 3:37pm On May 14, 2016
Syncan:

Which seed? Make you point known based on scriptures. Prove me wrong based on scriptures. Decieve yourself.

I have showed you evidence from bible only the lost will remain blind.

With everything I have proven from scriptures, it will become wasteful to fools.

You can bail him out
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 3:39pm On May 14, 2016
joseph1832:
Oh I'm not in the habit of mentioning people in my threads, except I want to humor them. grin
Lol. okay. But where is the letter then?
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joseph1832(m): 3:40pm On May 14, 2016
analice107:

Lol. okay. But where is the letter then?
Family section. Or you check my profile, it'll be the first thread you see.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 3:45pm On May 14, 2016
joseph1832:
Family section. Or you check my profile, it'll be the first thread you see.
Okay
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 4:18pm On May 14, 2016
laribari:

You are a very big novice and also asked a stupid question abt Shekau.

Is Shekau a Christian and born again? I was talking of the saints.

With all the scriptures I put out if u don't get it then u never will.

If u can work out ur own salvation by ursef why did Jesus come to die? Didn't the bible say our righteousness is like a filthy rag? How much cleansing will u get inpurgatory and who will even cleanse you?

It is not by booast you don't know a thing abot salvation. You don't know jack!

If my theory is right then why is there hell? Everybody deserves the grace. No wonder ur pope went to mosque to pray...lol. So u think we and Muslims are on same page? Christ Jesus is the grace of God and yes everyone deserve it but it is by choice. Accept Jesus and recieve His grace.

Galatians 6:18 Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

So you are trying to work your own salvation instead of simply beliving in Jesus by faith.... Good luck with that grin.

Ephesians 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) grin

You can't even talk scriptures with me cos nor know jack and I will expose ur scriptural lapses. I'm no babe in God's word.

You are very rude saying I compare heaven with action film yet u donot know anything. I will stay within scriptures and floor you.

Philipians 2:12 .......talking about fear and trembling. Normally, many Christians do not serve God with fear, yet these are Christians.he is saying
DOnt do eye service because I'm with you but also in my absence too, make sure you are doing the same service with the fear of God.

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

According to you....souls in purgatory are already heaven bound, then why God there again? Didn't Jesus say we are already sitting in heavenly places with christ?

Ephesians 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

As for Grace, it is by faith that it should be of Grace according to the bible

His blood has already cleansed those who believe in Jesus and confess Him as Lord.

I do not talk theory like you based on logic reason, instead I state biblical truth.]

You think you know it all, you don jam today. Bring up any scripture let me school you.
sorry just for clarification.you are saying thay Jesus has paid the ultimate price and now we can dwell and live in sin.. and his Grace will see us through.. in the end whoever dies with sin wether BIG or SMALL,will be pardoned in grace as long as you belive in christ.

in a nutshell is that what you mean??
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Syncan(m): 4:34pm On May 14, 2016
laribari:

I have showed you evidence from bible only the lost will remain blind.

You can bail him out

You are aware of our first encounter, if you come haughty, I will treat you like Jesus treating the pharisees and scribes. If you want to discuss calmly, I am ready to clarify things for you. However if your mind is made up that we are going to hell and you're the judge sent to condemn us, then there's not much we can do but await your punishment oga. I have no time to go through the whole thread (I have quite a number of things to do...including keeping my deal of a book reading with analice107). If there is a particular one you want to draw my attention to, please do.

1 Like

Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by ayoku777(m): 4:56pm On May 14, 2016
joey150:
the church teachings and interpretation remains superior

no wonder saint Paul rebuked all those guarded by private. interpretation in 2peter 1:20-21" understanding this first that no prophecy or scripture is made by private interpretation"

saint paul strongly confirmed the superiority of the church in teachings of faith and belief in

Ephesians: 3. 10. To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, 11. According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

Also in 1 Timothy: 3. 15. But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth. remember he did not say the church is the pillar and foundation of truth as long as the bible determines her teaching.

Also in Matthew: 18. 17. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Jesus here confirms the superiority of the church.

The reason the church is the pillar of truth is because no man is an island of knowledge or a fountain of wisdom all by himself. As believers, we all see and know in part.

1Cor 13v9 - For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

We all know in part and see in part, and it is when we bring together the parts that we see and know as a church that we can fully see and understand the big picture of the counsel of God in His word.

That is why scripture said;

Psalm 19v9 -The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous ALTOGETHER

It is together that the truth and righteousness of God's judgment and counsel can be seen and understood. That is why and how the church come in as the pillar of truth.

But a church cannot just come up with a doctrine or tradition that can't be found in the written word of God, and when challenged, they claim the church is the pillar of truth not the bible. Say what?

Even when the first church council sat in Acts 15 to make deliberations and decisions about the gentile church in antioch, it was still the scriptures that they kept quoting to justify and establish their decision.

Acts 15v13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: 14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name. 15  And to this agree the words of the prophets; AS IT IS WRITTEN, 16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

Can you see that? The church council in Jerusalem used the written word to come up with the traditions and doctrines they postulated and passed down. They just did not pull doctrines out of their hat independently of the written word and claim the church is the pillar of truth not the scriptures.

I know what you're trying to do. You're try to say and argue that the catholic church is superior to the bible, because that is the only way you can justify the unscriptural doctrines you peddle. You want to say that the catholic church is the pillar of truth not the bible. And thereby claim that traditions the catholic church preach and hold to are true and sound whether they are found in the scriptures or not.

Brother, you can only sell that argument to ignorant christians. All the traditions and doctrines that the early church postulated and passed down always passed the test of agreement with the written word.

Acts 15v13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:... 15  And to this agree the words of the prophets; AS IT IS WRITTEN,

Can you see that? The church that is the pillar of truth is the church that its traditions and doctrines agree with the written word of God, not a church that preaches and practises things that can't be found anywhere in the written word of God.

Mary praying for believers is not found in the written word. Asking dead saints to pray for us is not found in the written word. Purgatory, rosary prayers etc and many other catholic traditions, are not found in the written word. So she can't be a pillar of truth, when she preaches and practises things that can't be found in the written word.

Shalom!
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 5:01pm On May 14, 2016
Lol
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 5:05pm On May 14, 2016
Syncan:

You are aware of our first encounter, if you come haughty, I will treat you like Jesus treating the pharisees and scribes. If you want to discuss calmly, I am ready to clarifI always say, judge accordin things for you. However if your mind is made up that we are going to hell and you're the judge sent to condemn us, then there's not much we can do but await your punishment oga. I have no time to go through the whole thread (I have quite a number of things to do...including keeping my deal of a book reading with analice107). If there is a particular one you want to draw my attention to, please do.

I will pass, our last encountered says it all. grin I remember you now and you are the man that hasn't told a single lie since he was born and not even lately too.

How did Christ treat the pharisees when I asked you a simple question that you dodge till today...lol. Very funny. Speaking of the last time, I handled you well so don't sound like a champion because you ran in the end remember? But this time, I will pass because I know ur type and what is coming. Gabage in, Gabage out!

As usual, this argument will be deadlock but let the truth I have shared speak for me. I have stayed within the scriptures whenever i make points because I know there are a lot of info I have which many do not and I always say let's prove what we say scripturally.

Anyways, like I said I will just leave you guys to what you believe. I always except that I'm proven wrongly by the bible but hasn't really happened, instead we argue needlessly and others won't be benefited. What is the point.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 5:06pm On May 14, 2016
Syncan:

You are aware of our first encounter, if you come haughty, I will treat you like Jesus treating the pharisees and scribes. If you want to discuss calmly, I am ready to clarify things for you. However if your mind is made up that we are going to hell and you're the judge sent to condemn us, then there's not much we can do but await your punishment oga. I have no time to go through the whole thread (I have quite a number of things to do...including keeping my deal of a book reading with analice107). If there is a particular one you want to draw my attention to, please do.
Ahh. This here is an honourable man, keeping his deal. Me, on the other hand hasn't been able to download mind. I will do my best.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Syncan(m): 5:13pm On May 14, 2016
laribari:

I will pass , our last encountered says it all. grin I remember you now and you are the man that hasn't told a single lie since he was born and not even lately too.

How did Christ treat the pharisees when I asked you a simple question that you dodge till today...lol. Very funny. Speaking of the last time, I handled you well so don't sound like a champion because you ran in the end remember? But this time, I will pass because I know ur type and what is coming. Gabage in, Gabage out!

As usual, this argument will be deadlock but let the truth I have shared speak for me. I have stayed within the scriptures whenever i make points because I know there are a lot of info I have which many do not and I always say let's prove what we say scripturally.

Anyways, like I said I will just leave you guys to what you believe. I always except that I'm proven wrongly by the bible but hasn't really happened, instead we argue needlessly and others won't be benefited. What is the point.

The bold is all that mattered. God bless you.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 5:24pm On May 14, 2016
laribari:

I will pass, our last encountered says it all. grin I remember you now and you are the man that hasn't told a single lie since he was born and not even lately too.

I benefit. Pls can you share some of your info with me?
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Syncan(m): 5:41pm On May 14, 2016
ayoku777:

The reason the church is the pillar of truth is because no man is an island of knowledge or a fountain of wisdom all by himself. As believers, we all see and know in part.

1Cor 13v9 - For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

We all know in part and see in part, and it is when we bring together the parts that we see and know as a church that we can fully see and understand the big picture of the counsel of God in His word.

That is why scripture said;

Psalm 19v9 -The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous ALTOGETHER

It is together that the truth and righteousness of God's judgment and counsel can be seen and understood. That is why and how the church come in as the pillar of truth.

But a church cannot just come up with a doctrine or tradition that can't be found in the written word of God, and when challenged, they claim the church is the pillar of truth not the bible. Say what?

Even when the first church council sat in Acts 15 to make deliberations and decisions about the gentile church in antioch, it was still the scriptures that they kept quoting to justify and establish their decision.

Acts 15v13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: 14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name. 15  And to this agree the words of the prophets; AS IT IS WRITTEN, 16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

Can you see that? The church council in Jerusalem used the written word to come up with the traditions and doctrines they postulated and passed down. They just did not pull doctrines out of their hat independently of the written word and claim the church is the pillar of truth not the scriptures.

I know what you're trying to do. You're try to say and argue that the catholic church is superior to the bible, because that is the only way you can justify the unscriptural doctrines you peddle. You want to say that the catholic church is the pillar of truth not the bible. And thereby claim that traditions the catholic church preach and hold to are true and sound whether they are found in the scriptures or not.

Brother, you can only sell that argument to ignorant christians. All the traditions and doctrines that the early church postulated and passed down always passed the test of agreement with the written word.

Acts 15v13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:... 15  And to this agree the words of the prophets; AS IT IS WRITTEN,

Can you see that? The church that is the pillar of truth is the church that its traditions and doctrines agree with the written word of God, not a church that preaches and practises things that can't be found anywhere in the written word of God.

Mary praying for believers is not found in the written word. Asking dead saints to pray for us is not found in the written word. Purgatory, rosary prayers etc and many other catholic traditions, are not found in the written word. So she can't be a pillar of truth, when she preaches and practises things that can't be found in the written word.

Shalom!

All he wrote there are in agreement with scripture, no catholic teaching is contrary to scripture. Problem is, when you now are ready to excuse James and the apostles for acting by the spirit of scriptures, you demand that their successors act by the letters of scripture. When he calls Mary mother of Jesus, in accordance to scriptures, another asks for scriptural backing where Jesus called her Mother. That is the problem you have. Read further same passage of acts 15, and tell me where James saw in the scripture the letters " Circumcision is not needed to make the gentiles God's adopted children". And talking about the church, the pillar and ground of truth, Have you found it? Pray let's know, and don't tell me its the Christian community, for the Church must be one fold, teach with authority and cannot teach error.

1 Like

Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 5:58pm On May 14, 2016
analice107:

I benefit. Pls can you share some of your info with me?

It depends on what you wanna know, you can ask and whatever I say will be shown to you scripturally. If you have contrary opinion please put out a scripture backing ur view and let's look at it together. But don't use reason and Logic for the bible it won't reveal the truth.

Isn't it why the bible said God has used the foolish things of this world to confound the wise.

Salvation they say is a free gift and how hard can we work again? Then what did Christ die for? Only those who accept Jesus and are led by His spirit shall be saved. When Jesus was angry and beat people up with stick, did that confine him to hell? When Abraham lied to Pharoah saying Sarah was his wife, did that take him to hell? When Peter lied that he didn't know Jesus, he even denied him but that didn't take him to hel because he later repented.

Does it now mean we have to sin and repent, sin and repent again? No!
because God forgives doesn't mean we have to sin and that is what Paul was saying abt grace. That we shud try work to the point of standing strong even though it's not easy but it not as if we fall again we wil be condemed by it.
If we get it right, it gladens God and we too that we can work in His ways.

If you fail a question, it doesn't mean in have to stop studying mathematics and do you know what joy comes with it when u finally get it right?

This is the greatest secret of God hid in Christ. The world can never ever understand the mystery behind salvation and a man that is saved can loose it again. Except the person was never truly saved. How does born again work?

Do u think we sin 10 times and repent 10 times? You think God works that way.

If my dad hates what I do as a child and I disobey him, does it stop making me his child? No! But for him to be happy with me, I have to change my ways.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Romans 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

If we can save ourselves outside grace, then it means it is by our works (outside christ) and that will mean we can booast in ourselves. We can glory in our selves and that will make the death of Jesus void.

If we can do it by ourselves, Jesus will not come down trust me becos many great men that God trusted all had sin because of Adam.

Let me share something new in my next post.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 6:13pm On May 14, 2016
Syncan:
thank you for the kind words
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 6:28pm On May 14, 2016
laribari:

It depends on what you wanna know, you can ask and whatever I say will be shown to you scripturally. If you have contrary opinion please put out a scripture backing ur view and let's look at it together. But don't use reason and Logic for the bible it won't reveal the truth.

Isn't it why the bible said God has used the foolish things of this world to confound the wise.

Salvation they say is a free gift and how hard can we work again? Then what did Christ die for? Only those who accept Jesus and are led by His spirit shall be saved. When Jesus was angry and beat people up with stick, did that confine him to hell? When Abraham lied to Pharoah saying Sarah was his wife, did that take him to hell? When Peter lied that he didn't know Jesus, he even denied him but that didn't take him to hel because he later repented.

Does it now mean we have to sin and repent, sin and repent again? No!
because God forgives doesn't mean we have to sin and that is what Paul was saying abt grace. That we shud try work to the point of standing strong even though it's not easy.

This is the greatest secret of God hid in Christ. The world can never ever understand the mystery behind salvation and a man that is saved can loose it again. Except the person was never truly saved. How does born again work?

Do u think we sin 10 times and repent 10 times? You think God works that way.

If my dad hates what I do as a child and I disobey him, does it stop making me his child? No! But for him to be happy with me, I have to change my ways.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Romans 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

If we can save ourselves outside grace, then it means it is by our works (outside christ) and that will mean we can booast in ourselves. We can glory in our selves and that will make the death of Jesus void.

If we can do it by ourselves, Jesus will not come down trust me becos many great men that God trusted all had sin because of Adam.

Let me share something new in my next post.

I'd better follow you.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by laribari(m): 6:36pm On May 14, 2016
Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

As long as Adam failed, there is nothing in this world we can all do God will not see us as pure because we are from seed of the first man and has his sinful nature.
When Adam sinned, he was trying to justify himself which is by works outside Christ when he used leave to cover himself.

Job 31:33 If I covered my transgressions as Adam, by hiding mine iniquity in my bosom.

God came and shed Blood for the forgiveness of their sin by killing two animals and used their skin to cover them.

Genesis 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

However, today God has to shed the blood of His son in the same way He used animals and that is why Jesus is called a Lamb that was slained.

Adam messed it all up which we would have done worse if we were in his shoes but Jesus who is scripturally called the second Adam gave us life. However, we can't have the life eternal just like that, instead we have to confess Christ by faith and follow His ways.

Just like every new born child is a sinner from birth because Adam and no matter how much good we do on earth we won't still make heaven, it is the same that in Jesus we are always considered saved and justified no matter what we did. This does not encourage us to sin and that is what Paul was saying in Romans 6:1 when he spoke concerning grace.

Jesus said no man can come to the father except by me... it doesn't matter how much good you do, the first Adam has cobalize you...lol.

My friends use the word cobalize for implicate if u get what I mean.

Anyways, this is where non Christians have issue with Christianity. How can u say ur way is the only way, well Unfortunately that is it. They do not understand that everyone outside Jesus, the world was heading for doom. His death gave us a life line but only those who accept Him.

Let me stop for now....u can ask anything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Pls Help! I'm In A Religious Dilemma (I Don't Know Where I Stand Religious Wise) / Some Annoying Things People Do In Church / 30 Prayer Points For Help From Above.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 198
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.