Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,987 members, 7,821,434 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

Is purgatory real? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is purgatory real? (3179 Views)

The Catholic Church May Be Right About Purgatory After All:near Death Experience / Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} / Is Purgatory In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 11:40pm On May 09, 2016
purgatory is gotten from the latin word purgare which means to purge or to cleanse.
It is the purification kept for souls who die in God's grace and friendship of God but still have some imperfection in them. In order that such souls may acquire the unblemished perfection required to enter heaven.

To further understand purgatory to the fullest, we have to note and agree with 3basic facts.
nothing defiled shall enter heaven
All sins are not equal
Finally we need to comprehend why people opppse the idea that purgatory exists.

In my next posts i will butress on those 3 points individually.
And chill, I'll make references to the bible too, just so you dont conclude am making up things or delusional.

See you on my next post!
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 10:59am On May 10, 2016
On my first point.
nothing defiled shall enter heaven

This is a known fact, and is well stated in revelations 21:25 which says "nothing defiled shall enter heaven" Defilement here is just as the word is spelt. Nothing with any atom of blemish, no matter how small can see/enter heaven. I am sure we are clear and have no doubts about this part??

Well ok moving on to my next point!
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 11:06am On May 10, 2016
Well at this junction it will be nice for me to state that i am no clergy man or religious. I embarked on a journey to find facts, i read books and discovered truth, truths which most of the catholic faithfuls do not know. And are often left speechless when confronted by the protestants or antagonists about purgatory. It is not something the pope made up or some imaginary world created to make us feel happy in sin.

Even some catholics are still skeptical about the idea. Well you tend to avoid or dislike the things you do not understand. But i hope to surpress that fear or doubt with this thread. And hopefully you will all grow in faith at the end.

Our protestants brothers hopefully too can key in and learn and hopefully understand, and not argue blindly.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Nobody: 11:06am On May 10, 2016
So wait, will Moral Atheists go to purgatory undecided
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 11:10am On May 10, 2016
SirWere:
So wait, will Moral Atheists go to purgatory undecided
i do not decide who goes to purgatory. God deems fit those who die in his love but are not perfectly cleansed.

I just want to set the record straight about purgatory. Who goes in and out...is not for me to decide.
Cheers!

4 Likes

Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 11:43am On May 10, 2016
all sins are not equal

This part is probably where the antagonists/fundamentalists/ protestants think that they have nailed you. Oh well they say sin is sin, no matter how small or big.
Oh what ignorance!!

They always say in James 2:10-11 where saint james says whosoever shall keep the whole law,but offend in one point has become guilty of all. For he that said thou shall not commit adultery also said thou shall not kill. Now if you do not commit adultery, but shall kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law

Well they literally interpreting this verses to mean that all sins are equal. Let us now examine what he really meat to say whosoever shall keep the whole law,but offend one point is become guilty of all". let us not interpret this passage out of context. He only meant to warn against selective obiedience of the commandments. If all inequities where equal then God should punish all sinners equally, this will make God a liar then because Jesus said in Romans 2:6 and 2corinthians 5:10 that God will pay every man according to his deeds.

You may wonder what equality of sin has to do with purgatory. So many things infact! Those who oppose purgatory know that of they admit that all sins are not equal then they must accept that all punishments are also not equal. They will be faced with the plain fact that states that "different degrees of sins imply different degrees of punishment. and they Will be left with the inevitable consequence as to believe in the reality of purgatory.

Well.. I hope to come back and continue. Click thr follow button if you want to get back where i left off.
Re: Is purgatory real? by BetterChurch: 7:43pm On May 10, 2016
The doctrine of purgatory emanates from an incomplete knowledge of the law of karma and reincarnation. Some evil souls must go through the dreadful caves of purification in the astral plane under the direction of those spiritual workers in charge. The purifying element is the Light of God afterwards they are eligible for reincarnation in accordance with their new and adjusted karmic pattern. Sooner or later, Soul will learn to cooperate with the law of God.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 10, 2016
story !story!! story!!!
Re: Is purgatory real? by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 10, 2016
hell fire is giving some people sleepless night.the truth is
NOTHING LIKE PURGATORY. there is no repentance in the grave you only have ONE LIFE ONE CHANCE ON EARTH JESUS IS YOUR ONLY CHANCE,MARY ,MOHAMMED,MICHEAL ETC CANNOT SAVE YOU ONLY JESUS
Re: Is purgatory real? by ValentineMary(m): 6:59am On May 11, 2016
The purgatory stuff is d dumbest stuff I have ever heard. In some catholic text, it is even written that most fauthfuls and some saints would go to purgatory. They claim it is an outreach of God's mercy but rather it makes catholicism look more stupid and unrealistic.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kamsified: 8:53am On May 11, 2016
*Following*
Re: Is purgatory real? by lacum: 1:09pm On May 11, 2016
people are already condeming what they dont know. @valmary, i guess ur catholic, pls just b patient n open minded. i believe u will learn a lot.
Re: Is purgatory real? by ValentineMary(m): 3:18pm On May 11, 2016
lacum:
people are already condeming what they dont know. @valmary, i guess ur catholic, pls just b patient n open minded. i believe u will learn a lot.
I was once catholic but am an atheist now. All thanks to God. The moment u unlock d chains catholicism has used on ur brains, then u can never be really free.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 3:23pm On May 11, 2016
solite3:
hell fire is giving some people sleepless night.the truth is
NOTHING LIKE PURGATORY. there is no repentance in the grave you only have ONE LIFE ONE CHANCE ON EARTH JESUS IS YOUR ONLY CHANCE,MARY ,MOHAMMED,MICHEAL ETC CANNOT SAVE YOU ONLY JESUS
Thank you sir.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 3:25pm On May 11, 2016
ValentineMary:

I was once catholic but am an atheist now. All thanks to God. The moment u unlock d chains catholicism has used on ur brains, then u can never be really free.
from frying pan to fire.lol
Re: Is purgatory real? by ValentineMary(m): 3:56pm On May 11, 2016
analice107:

from frying pan to fire.lol
That's one thing about theist, everyone thinks he is worshipping d right God in d right fashion and that others are wrong. Continue in ur delusion. It is because of people like u that christianity might not pass d 21st century.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 4:45pm On May 11, 2016
ValentineMary:

That's one thing about theist, everyone thinks he is worshipping d right God in d right fashion and that others are wrong. Continue in ur delusion. It is because of people like u that christianity might not pass d 21st century.
Play another card, the delusional card is too old
athirst have been using it for too long.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 5:19pm On May 11, 2016
ValentineMary:

Here comes the 21Century Nietzsche. Predict on. That was what Satan forecasted and went on to infiltrate and pollute Christianity with Catholicism, bringing in damnable satanic idol worships with little residue of Christianity, raising so many questions but leaving the worshippers disillusioned due to insufficient answers and the ones provided don't add up.
Because the dept of God is lost on the people, they now turn and say, there's no God.
Do your research, the Christians turn atheists are 95% Catholics. Satan had today in mind when he started the Catholic religion. So, sir Nietzsche, predict away, but "Upon this Rock i shall build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it". High to Hellfire, enjoy your flames.
Re: Is purgatory real? by ValentineMary(m): 5:32pm On May 11, 2016
analice107:

Here comes the 21Century Nietzsche. Predict on. That was what Satan forecasted and went on to infiltrate and pollute Christianity with Catholicism, bringing in damnable satanic idol worships with little residue of Christianity, raising so many questions but leaving the worshippers disillusioned due to insufficient answers and the ones provided don't add up.
Because the dept of God is lost on the people, they now turn and say, there's no God.
Do your research, the Christians turn atheists are 95% Catholics. Satan had today in mind when he started the Catholic religion. So, sir Nietzsche, predict away, but "Upon this Rock i shall build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it". High to Hellfire, enjoy your flames.
Funny u. Are u aware that all christianity got it's root from catholicism so indirectly, ur religion is also from d devil. But wait were protestant not formed because a guy called Martin Luther wanted to marry and have sex? Sounds like ur religion is d only true one.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 9:37pm On May 11, 2016
ValentineMary:

Funny u. Are u aware that all christianity got it's root from catholicism so indirectly, ur religion is also from d devil. But wait were protestant not formed because a guy called Martin Luther wanted to marry and have sex? Sounds like ur religion is d only true one.
Funny man. Root of Christianity in Catholicism. Did your Pope tell you that Christ was Catholic too? But of course he did, and you believed him, and why not, you believe Apostle Peter was a Catholic Pope why wont you believe Christ was Catholic. Smh
Just imagine what we all believed until some of us started reading the Bible for ourselves.

Dude, High jacking another persons property will never make it yours, shout, scream, cry about it, the truth cant be suppresses for too long.
The Catholic religion High jacking Christianity can never make Christianity Catholic.

The Catholic Religion compiled the Bible, now makes Catholicism the originators of Christianity? with all the blatant disobedience to the very Word God you still say Christianity has its Origin in Catholicism?
Guy, try being human for once and pick your Bible, O wait!!!!, you don't have a Bible.
Maybe you should borrow a Bible and read Apst Paul's Epistles and see where Christianity was concentrated long before the Papacy.

Man, don't get me started.
You talk about me being delusional, i guess you dont really know what that word means, you just pick it up becos you hear atheists using it. If there are delusional beings, you are the very specimen.

So you were told Matin Luther wanted to marry that was why he left the Catholic religion?
Well... should i expect the truth from satan? can the father of lies tell the truth?

So you weren't told he was posted to head a Parish, and since only heads of Parishes had access to certain information, he had access to a chess with so many books locked away, and while he was curious to know what kind of books were termed "anathema" to read, he found the Bible amongst them and started reading for himself?
Can you imagine a Catholic priests not having full access to the Bible he should be preaching?
All they had access to were parchments fill with Errors and half truths. Do know who the Friars were?
Have your senses taken leave of you?
Did you not see were it was written in the Bible that "to avoid forncation every man should marry his wife and every woman shd marry her husband?"
Is marriage a sin? will you condemn a man who moved to fulfill scriptures?
You were not told how Luther read certain things that were at variance with what the Catholic religion promulgated, how he went to the Bishop seeking clarification, but was told to focus on what he was sent there to do. They didn't tell you, how he was reported to the higher authority and was transfered from that parish to another parish, while there he started preaching what he saw from the Bible directly. You weren't told how the Catholic religion persecuted a man for preaching from the Bible? Do you know how many Christians the Catholic religion burnt alive tied to stakes because they read the Bible?
Do you know how many Bibles Translated into different languages the Catholic religion burnt alongside their translators?
Were you told why the Catholic religion insisted on having the Bible in a Latin language, a dead language spoken by a few people? was Latin the language of those who wrote the Bible?
All was for control. Dish out only what they should know. "Animal Farm" Tactics.
Guy, Buy this book "The Great Controversy" and read, when you finish and still stand for catholicism, then know that the devil has got you for real.
You know what? Am happy you are now an Atheist, out of All shackles of religion, Christ will meet you.
Re: Is purgatory real? by ValentineMary(m): 10:20pm On May 11, 2016
analice107:

Funny man. Root of Christianity in Catholicism. Did your Pope tell you that Christ was Catholic too? But of course he did, and you believed him, and why not, you believe Apostle Peter was a Catholic Pope why wont you believe Christ was Catholic. Smh
Just imagine what we all believed until some of us started reading the Bible for ourselves.

Dude, High jacking another persons property will never make it yours, shout, scream, cry about it, the truth cant be suppresses for too long.
The Catholic religion High jacking Christianity can never make Christianity Catholic.

The Catholic Religion compiled the Bible, now makes Catholicism the originators of Christianity? with all the blatant disobedience to the very Word God you still say Christianity has its Origin in Catholicism?
Guy, try being human for once and pick your Bible, O wait!!!!, you don't have a Bible.
Maybe you should borrow a Bible and read Apst Paul's Epistles and see where Christianity was concentrated long before the Papacy.

Man, don't get me started.
You talk about me being delusional, i guess you dont really know what that word means, you just pick it up becos you hear atheists using it. If there are delusional beings, you are the very specimen.

So you were told Matin Luther wanted to marry that was why he left the Catholic religion?
Well... should i expect the truth from satan? can the father of lies tell the truth?

So you weren't told he was posted to head a Parish, and since only heads of Parishes had access to certain information, he had access to a chess with so many books locked away, and while he was curious to know what kind of books were termed "anathema" to read, he found the Bible amongst them and started reading for himself?
Can you imagine a Catholic priests not having full access to the Bible he should be preaching?
All they had access to were parchments fill with Errors and half truths. Do know who the Friars were?
Have your senses taken leave of you?
Did you not see were it was written in the Bible that "to avoid forncation every man should marry his wife and every woman shd marry her husband?"
Is marriage a sin? will you condemn a man who moved to fulfill scriptures?
You were not told how Luther read certain things that were at variance with what the Catholic religion promulgated, how he went to the Bishop seeking clarification, but was told to focus on what he was sent there to do. They didn't tell you, how he was reported to the higher authority and was transfered from that parish to another parish, while there he started preaching what he saw from the Bible directly. You weren't told how the Catholic religion persecuted a man for preaching from the Bible? Do you know how many Christians the Catholic religion burnt alive tied to stakes because they read the Bible?
Do you know how many Bibles Translated into different languages the Catholic religion burnt alongside their translators?
Were you told why the Catholic religion insisted on having the Bible in a Latin language, a dead language spoken by a few people? was Latin the language of those who wrote the Bible?
All was for control. Dish out only what they should know. "Animal Farm" Tactics.
Guy, Buy this book "The Great Controversy" and read, when you finish and still stand for catholicism, then know that the devil has got you for real.
You know what? Am happy you are now an Atheist, out of All shackles of religion, Christ will meet you.
Okay point noted u don't know d history of ur denomination.

1 Like

Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 11:13pm On May 11, 2016
what have you people turned my thread into?? for no reason i was banned for 24hours from posting in religious section! wow! big kudos to the spam bot .

hopefully tomorrow morning,i am continuing my purgatory talk . i urge you to reason the facts with me as am going to be very factual and reference the bible .
@valentinemary and @analice107 please this thread was created for reference and enlightenment. i urge you all to please maintain decorum here.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 11:55pm On May 11, 2016
joey150:
what have you people turned my thread into?? for no reason i was banned for 24hours from posting in religious section! wow! big kudos to the spam bot .

hopefully tomorrow morning,i am continuing my purgatory talk . i urge you to reason the facts with me as am going to be very factual and reference the bible .
@valentinemary and @analice107 please this thread was created for reference and enlightenment. i urge you all to please maintain decorum here.
You are spreading Heresy sir. The Papacy has been spreading this heresy from time immemorial, now we know the truth. Your teachings negates the Bible.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Syncan(m): 6:43am On May 12, 2016
joey150:

Ignore their ignorant rants, and continue your posts. One has taken himself to the ends of logic without learning the basis, the other has read a book from a seventh day adventist and distorter of facts and thinks she knows all. In their posts alone, they expose each other. All they needed to do is read and ask questions, then confound the OP with good argument.

I also posted here yesterday, and was banned. It seems there was a problem with one of the posts I quoted, as the antispambot hid both that post and mine, I guess that was your problem too.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 7:49am On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

Ignore their ignorant rants, and continue your posts. One has taken himself to the ends of logic without learning the basis, the other has read a book from a seventh day adventist and distorter of facts and thinks she knows all. In their posts alone, they expose each other. All they needed to do is read and ask questions, then confound the OP with good argument.

I also posted here yesterday, and was banned. It seems there was a problem with one of the posts I quoted, as the antispambot hid both that post and mine, I guess that was your problem too.

Sir i do not claim to know too much. wont it be nice if you can refute my questions with points?
Yes, i read "The Great Controversy" written by an adventist, but am not an Adventist. If what Ellen White wrote are lies, bring up your rebuttal. we know that lies sell, but the truth prevails at last. If the Catholic Religion didn't do even worst of what she is accused of doing, then lets talk.
I love History so i read, i wont object reading whatever you feel its the truth. Please post me links, recommend Books and i will read. Thank you.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Syncan(m): 8:04am On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Sir i do not claim to know too much. wont it be nice if you can refute my questions with points?
Yes, i read "The Great Controversy" written by an adventist, but am not an Adventist. If what Ellen White wrote are lies, bring up your rebuttal. we know that lies sell, but the truth prevails at last. If the Catholic Religion didn't do even worst of what she is accused of doing, then lets talk.
I love History so i read, i wont object reading whatever you feel its the truth. Please post me links, recommend Books and i will read. Thank you.

You see dear one, you don't ask questions, you ponificate and condemn. That's how your posts come out, because I have tried to engage you before. If you need a discuss, then let there be a discuss. With respect to "The great Controversy", hope you know you're with the mark of the beast if you don't observe the sabbath. How then do you see yourself as saved and the Catholics condemned? I will surely recommend books and links for any question you sincerely ask, that i cannot give you a simple answer here.
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 8:36am On May 12, 2016
analice107:

You are spreading Heresy sir. The Papacy has been spreading this heresy from time immemorial, now we know the truth. Your teachings negates the Bible.
but why dont you chill and let me finish and then i will entertain your doubts.

do not hate what you dont understand.
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 8:38am On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

yes. big problem. wish i could actually figure out what rules i broke or where the spam actually is.
thanks for the kind words.

1 Like

Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 10:28am On May 12, 2016
Well am picking off where i left, hopefully I'll update a little more today. Depends on how much time i have.

So the deal is, if we can find a common ground that all sins are not equal you'll have to agree wit me that all punishments can also not be equal.
Remember all references are from the bible.

1st instance
Matthew 5:22 "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the Council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. "
Here Jesus clearly states 2 offences and outlines different offences. council and hellfire.

2nd instance
Matthew 12:31-32 "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. "
Here we see sins against the holy spirit are actually different from other types of sin.

3rd instance
Luke 12:47-48 "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." same unequal offences attract unequal punishments.

Well last example John: 19. 11. "Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin."
Take note of Greater sin.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 11:08am On May 12, 2016
joey150:
but why dont you chill and let me finish and then i will entertain your doubts.

do not hate what you dont understand.
Sir, I was full flesh very active Catholic. Am not a stranger to anything you want to say. I preached it too.
Sir, If you have eternity in view, and you read your Bible yet don't ask some salient questions questioning what you are preaching now, Well...Maybe your heaven wont be the one the Bible is talking about. just saying.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Muammar Gaddafi’s Prophecies Before His Death / How Many Christians Truly Believe Mr President's End Of The World Prediction? / Very Interesting Facts About Iraq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.